Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Favourite Albums of 2012

Not quite to the end of the year, but we're getting there. This is my top ten of the year at the moment (no particular order):

Grizzly Bear - Shields
Animal Collective - Centipede Hz
Liars - WIXIW
My Bloody Valentine - EP's 1988-1991 (I suppose this is cheating, as it's old material re-released, but this is my list and I'll do as I wish)
Beach House - Bloom
Grimes - Visions
Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror
Alamaailman Vasarat - Valta
Purity Ring - Shrines
Daniel Rossen - Silent Hour/Golden Mile
Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM
so far the best album of the year for me has been:

Serj Tankian: Harakiri

but Oct 9 sees the release of:

Between The Buried & Me: The Parallax II: Future Sequence

and that will surely be the best album of the year, of the past 2 years, pry the best album since:

Between The Buried & Me: The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Still a lot of great stuff coming out and stuff to catch up on but so far I've really liked

Coexist - The xx
Shrines - Purity Ring
The Seer - Swans
Strange Weekend - Porcelain Raft
Give You the Ghost - Polica
Gossamer - Passion Pit
Celebration Rock - Japandroids
Visions - Grimes
Attack on Memory - Cloud Nothings
Something - Chairlift
Bloom - Beach House

Last edited by outsyder; 09-24-2012 at 07:23 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 PM
yeah it's way early for that topic but i'm a good sport

So far ...

Fear Factory - The Industrialist - favorite song : God Eater
Ministry - Relapse - favorite song : Double Tap
In This Moment - Blood - favorite song : Blood
Serj Tankian - Harakiri - favorite song : Cornucopia
The Agonist - Prisoners - not definitive song but so far i like Ideomotor

As I Lay Dying got a new cd coming out tomorrow .... and i loved An Ocean Between Us

The new Testament cd "Dark Roots of Earth" looks promising ... haven't heard it yet

The latest Atari Teenage Riot and Skinny Puppy are labeled 2011 but i'm pretty sure both cds were released in 2012

I haven't listened to the whole latest Metric cd but "Youth Without Youth" is pretty catchy . I love it ! Canadian alt-rock FTW

edit : fuck pop!

Last edited by Dirtyfrog; 09-24-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 PM
So far I've really dug:

Bloom Beach House
Shields Grizzly Bear
Break it Yourself Andrew Bird
Coexist The xx
Kill For Love Chromatics
channel ORANGE Frank Ocean
Swing Lo Magellan Dirty Projectors
Old 09-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Dirtyfrog, I take offense to you declaring that pop fuck [itself].

Gosh, I really want to like that Frank Ocean album more, but there's a lot of filler and not much cohesion. Some of the songs feel unfinished too. "Pyramids" and "Bad Religion" are still among my most-played.

Jessie Ware is in a similar camp. Her memorable songs dominate my iTunes most-played or the year.

I cannot turn on the G.O.O.D Music compilation without some scrub yapping "Ric Flair!" into my ear, so if anyone knows of any Kanye-only (R. Kelly too) versions floating around...also, Jay-Z should've stayed retired if he's going to get all closet-Republican on us.

Since I'm in a hating kind-of-mood, I wish A$AP Rocky would just release the damn album so we can begin the quick process of forgetting he existed.

Sleigh Bells have released the worst album of the year, after the refreshing blast of "Treats".

On-track for the year's most underrated: Animal Collective, maybe The xx (don't know the critical reaction entirely but I like it better than their debut), Deerhoof & Woods (who always make this list), Jens Lekman (although I'm still disappointed nothing on it approaches "Kortedala"), Dan Deacon (with the year's stupidest album title), Matthew Dear, Daughn Gibson, Lower Dens, and that phenomenal album by Julia Holter, which seems to be flying under-the-radar despite a BNM designation from the Fork,

I don't know, it is too early and if I provide a list then I'm being a hypocrite. I still have high hopes for Flying Lotus, Grizzly Bear, Bat for Lashes, Titus Andronicus, Kendrick Lamar, Crystal Castles, Tame Impala, Emeralds, LindstrÝm, Andy Stott, Tim Hecker/Daniel Lopatin, and just in time for Christmas, Scott Walker.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Aesop Rocks Skelethon is probably my number one of this year.