Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Len Wiseman To Reboot The Mummy

Len Wiseman Wrapping Up Deal To Helm Universal Reboot Of ‘The Mummy’

Universal Pictures is setting Len Wiseman to direct The Mummy, the reboot of a franchise whose most recent incarnation grossed $1.25 billion over three films. Jon Spaihts is writing the script and the studio is eyeing a potential summer 2014 release, so things are moving quickly, with Universal eager to ramp back up one of its most venerable franchises. The film is being produced by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci through their Universal-based K/O Paper Products, alongside former partners Sean Daniel and Jim Jacks. Latter two produced the version launched by Steve Sommers which starred Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz. That trilogy was based on the Karl Fruend-directed Boris Karloff starrer that the studio made in 1932. I spoke to both Kurtzman and Wiseman, and they said that the script Spaihts is writing puts the gauze covered villain into a modern day context. “When I first heard Universal was relaunching this.

link
Old 09-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Huh. I thought I read that they wanted to go a more horror-ish route with this reboot. But the decision to hire Len Wiseman as director seems to indicate, at least to me, that they are going for a more action movie route since that's what he has done so far.

Can't really blame the studio for going for a reboot rather than a sequel since the last Mummy movie was so godawful. And I hope this is a return to form for Wiseman. I like him a lot actually. I love the Underworld movies and, despite the PG-13 rating (which was probably Fox's fault, not his) Live Free or Die Hard rocked. I'd like to see him come back from the dreadful Total Recall reboot.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I am quite surprised any studio would give Wiseman to reboot/ remake anything after the absolute embarrassment Total recall was (I am judging that on the reception it received, not from 1st hand knowledge, as I have not yet seen it)

but Total recall was a critical and commercial flop, so for a studio to say "ya man, this guy is our guy" is a bit baffling.

I will say this though, I have only ever seen 1 movie by this guy, and that was Live Free or Die Hard which I enjoyed, so perhaps the guy is good, just Total Recall wasnt the right fit for him. (The underworld movies just dont entice me at all, although Kate Beckinsale is one of the most attractive ladies a live, so i will pry see them one day)!
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Meh, this is going to bomb. Underworld sucked after the first one. He gets a big fuck you from me for making Live Free PG-13 (unrated version on DVD was good). I haven't seen Total Recall yet but heard it sucked. Based upon his track record, this thing has almost no chance.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
The fact that there is an unrated version of Live Free or Die Hard with lots more violence and language is proof that the PG-13 rating is FOX's fault, NOT Wiseman's.

If it were Wiseman's fault then the unrated version wouldn't exist.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM
This is strange. They're rebooting a franchise that was itself a re-imagining of a classic horror film from decades ago. I actually think Stephen Sommers original The Mummy is a really entertaining film, with good pacing and great comic relief. The original Karloff film is interesting from a historical perspective, and I do enjoy the classic Universal horror films, but it doesn't hold up today as being very scary.

I agree with ilovemovies that Wiseman's attachment seems to indicate that they're going for more of an action approach similar to the Stephen Sommers, but I seriously doubt it will be as fun as the Brendan Frasier film. I just don't have much respect for Wiseman as a filmmaker.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
I actually think Stephen Sommers original The Mummy is a really entertaining film, with good pacing and great comic relief.
I agree . Brendan Fraser was a riot in that one ! We don't need a mummy reboot.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyfrog View Post
I agree . Brendan Fraser was a riot in that one ! We don't need a mummy reboot.
Blame it on how bad Tomb of the Dragon Emperor was. Just like Batman & Robin killed the Batman franchise at the time, Tomb of the Dragon Emperor killed the Mummy franchise. Hence why it's being rebooted.

I love the first one as well AND I loved the second too. But the third one was so bad it killed any chances of there being another sequel.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
The fact that there is an unrated version of Live Free or Die Hard with lots more violence and language is proof that the PG-13 rating is FOX's fault, NOT Wiseman's.

If it were Wiseman's fault then the unrated version wouldn't exist.
I beg to differ. IMO, it was a marketing ploy from the get go. They (Wiseman and FOX) planned it going in, knew hardcore Die Hard fans would be enraged by the PG-13 and took advantage by double dipping.

Wiseman and FOX were in on this together. If Wiseman had any balls he would have said R rated from the get go, no bullshit CGI blood and a few "yippee ki ya motherfuckers" thrown back in for a special edition DVD, and just made a Die Hard flick from start.

I doubt very seriously he even tried to fight the studio. He is a money grubbing whore and a sell out who makes the same movie over and over again because he has no talent.

Bottom line, he is a millionaire and he gets to bang Kate everyday, so he is winning. But his movies suck and this one is going to suck too.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
I beg to differ. IMO, it was a marketing ploy from the get go. They (Wiseman and FOX) planned it going in, knew hardcore Die Hard fans would be enraged by the PG-13 and took advantage by double dipping.

Wiseman and FOX were in on this together. If Wiseman had any balls he would have said R rated from the get go, no bullshit CGI blood and a few "yippee ki ya motherfuckers" thrown back in for a special edition DVD, and just made a Die Hard flick from start.

I doubt very seriously he even tried to fight the studio. He is a money grubbing whore and a sell out who makes the same movie over and over again because he has no talent.

Bottom line, he is a millionaire and he gets to bang Kate everyday, so he is winning. But his movies suck and this one is going to suck too.

By that account Bruce WIllis is really the bitch here... Wiseman has no clout in Hollywood, he hasn't made any massive hits that set him apart. His biggest accomplishment (and granted it is a huge accomplishment) is that he is married to one of the hottest females alive (Kate Beckinsale).

He was a hired gun brought on for Die Hard, the studio, who brought him on, said PG13, he obliged. If anything, your argument lies with Willis, he has the clout to tell the studio he will only do it if it is R, because without Willis, there is no Die Hard (sadly, until one day there is, due to reboots and such).

as for DOuble Dipping, maybe it is just my Home Video mind at work here, but DOuble Dipping is a term usually referenced in terms of a movie hitting DVD/ Blu and then 1 year or so later another edition is released with an alternate cut of the film or extra bonus features, that is a double dip. And by that definition, the "Unrated" cut of Live Free or Die Hard was not a double dip, as it was released day and date with the theatrical cut.

Granted the Unrated cut isn't on Blu Ray, but I actually know the story for that:

When the decision was made to release the Unrated cut day and date, the Blu rays had already been made with just the theatrical cut, and they couldn't go back and add the unrated cut. And to this day there still isnt the unrated cut on Blu Ray.. but when it is released, that, will be a double dip!