Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 PM
The Environment

I recall Al Gore's book about the environment. It was so technical, it was unreadable. George Bush 41 referred to Gore as "Ozone Man" because of his obsession with the ozone layer. Global warming became the big issue with Gore. It is the tendency for man-made carbon dioxide to trap heat in Earth's atmosphere. The fear is that the earth will be heated to the point that the polar caps will melt, flooding coastal cities. Paradoxically, geologists say we are between Ice Ages. If another Ice Age is inevitable, global warming might serve as a means for heating our planet. It is crazy. We are trying to figure out whether we will burn up or freeze to death. If global warming is taking place, it may not be a bad thing. It got pretty cold in Nashville last winter. If it is a bad thing, man's ingenuity may find a remedy. We are rational beings. With the population of the earth over seven billion, we need to manage natural resources responsibly. The rainforest of South America cannot be destroyed without consequences. We should be planting trees in North America, one for each one we cut down. Houses have traditionally been built with lumber, and books have been made from paper. That can change. New building materials can be developed. Libraries can become electronic. The large mammals of Africa need to be protected, otherwise they will be extinct in a few decades. It is up to the governments of African countries and their National Park systems. At the same time, it is a world problem. Man is one species despite his fragmentation into religious sects and nationalities. If man were to act as one species (I am not promoting a one-race concept) and stop warring, he could put his house in order. The energy and money spent by Muslims, Jews and Christians fighting could go a long way toward developing alternative fuels. Fossil fuels will eventually be depleted. It will take time, but the amount of coal, oil and gas in the ground is finite. If man does not prepare for a time when they are gone, civilization will collapse. For all the talk about renewable energy and hybrid cars, we are nowhere near a state of practical application.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 AM
OK. I will say it.

What the hell are you talking about? I read that and I feel like the moderator from Billy Madison.