Old 11-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Obama has won

Well done President Obama, on achieving your second term after a closely fought contest.

I'm not his biggest fan, but its a case of selecting the lesser of the tragedies (imo).

Hopefully much of his policies were about playing the centralist position to enable this second term, and now he'll take it more to the left and at the least come good on a national health care.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM
IMHO that's what's dooming our country. "The lesser of two evils". Its a horrible destructive way of thinking. It may buy us a few extra years but so what? Just be prepared to apologize to your children and grandchildren. "Sorry you're all impoverished but I bought myself a few extra years of delaying having a financially responsible government so I was able to keep spending."

Last edited by creekin111; 11-06-2012 at 09:55 PM..
Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM
If this is truly the "lessor of two evils" - I'll take it any day of the week.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
If this is truly the "lessor of two evils" - I'll take it any day of the week.
Yyyyeeeeaaaahhh no.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Vicious View Post
Yyyyeeeeaaaahhh no.
Are you proposing that no 16 year olds will die as a result of Romney's military policies? If so, please elaborate.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes Gay marriage is the ONLY issue that matters. A number of years from now when America is in complete poverty people will look back and say, "We don't have enough money or jobs for food or shelter but thank god we had a president that liked homosexuals and had a lot of flowery rhetoric that sounded nice." I'm all for gay marriage but Jesus people need to set their priorities straight.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Yes Gay marriage is the ONLY issue that matters. A number of years from now when America is in complete poverty people will look back and say, "We don't have enough money or jobs for food or shelter but thank god we had a president that liked homosexuals and had a lot of flowery rhetoric that sounded nice." I'm all for gay marriage but Jesus people need to set their priorities straight.
I don't know for sure if Romney's policies would've solved more economic problems than Obama's policies, but I also have no reason to believe that America will be in complete poverty under Obama.

Obama had four years. Much of his impact, whether good or bad, has yet to be seen. Its not like he inhereted a utopia and screwed it up. There's still many lingering problems caused by his predecessors (both Republican and Democrat).

The problem Obama will face is getting the balance between the ideological and the realism. The 1% could up and leave if tax hikes are too disagreeable. If he harms small businesses and the middle class, he'll fail and surely he knows that. There's a lot of scare mongering. I see nothing in his policies to suggest he's trying to exterminate the middle class or small businesses, or that he'll be zealous to the point of driving the 1% overseas, or that he'll cripple the economy.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:44 PM
That's the other thing as evidenced by your post. People think there were only 2 candidates running. I mean they must be legitimately unaware there's a 3rd party they can vote for. As long as people have this "don't waste your vote or vote the other guy out by voting for the lesser of 2 evils" our problems will continue to snowball. We're in such deep shit now that a candidate is unelectable and is looked upon as a looney if he promotes fiscal responsibility.

If a president inherits a bad situation does that automatically mean he should get 8 years to turn things around? Why not 16? Why not make him a dictator? What arbitrary number of years should we give him? How did you come up with that number? Are we going to keep hearing excuses 4 years from now when the economy is still sluggish?

Also the Democrats had a lot of control in Congress when shit hit the fan almost exactly around the time our economy started to tank. A president isn't a dictator. If you're putting blame on just one man & the rest of them get off Scott free like they did again when most of them got reelected this week then you need to rethink things. Frank, Reid, Pelosi, etc. I see from my fellow liberals this current Republican group doesn't quite get the same leash and excuses as they do for Obama. But again people in this country have a sports minded mentality when it comes to politics.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
The point is Obama treats all Americans with human dignity, whereas Romney believes hospital visitation for same sex partners is a privilege and not a right. Its those little details that reveal Obama to be the better man. And considering the entire Republican party wants to bomb Iran into oblivion (killing untold numbers of innocents in the process), it's hard to take your drone-strike counter-point seriously.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM
So "treating people with dignity" or whatever that means means that everyone has to be forced to purchase health insurance otherwise they get taxed & punished for it? Killing innocent people across seas with drones, unprecedented giving direct orders to kill an American citizen without a trial? Breaking his promise to close the torture chamber Gitmo. Raising the debt of this nation (just like other presidents yes but still) raised it at a record pace) placing more financial burdens on future generations. Signed a bill that would detain AMERICAN CITIZENS INDEFINITELY without a trial! And on and on and on... I suppose we both have different definitions of "treating people with dignity". Oh yeah he's such a cool nice man. You're seriously going to use one single issue instead of the thousands upon thousands of other issues to define his character?

Last edited by creekin111; 11-09-2012 at 07:12 PM..