Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Movies I tell people to watch?

I am always telling people to watch obscure movies or hidden gems (In my mind). But as soon as I do I'm sure they just forget and move on but it's a shame, because I know they are better then the generic b.s. they watch on a constant basis. If any of you have any movies that are "hidden gem" movies to add please do, I am always interested in seeing something new and good. The movies I can think of right now are:

Altered (2006) I know this was made by one of the directors of the Blair Witch Project disaster, so just ignore that, and give it a shot.

Automatic (1995) I saw this on HBO around 1995 because it was a HBO movie and caught it on the first viewing and remembered it forever and have loved it ever since.

Ink (2009) One of my favorite movies, unique visual's, and happens to be on netflix a must watch, the first 15 minutes has some cheesy acting, but stick with it, its awesome!!

Lo (2009) The Demon Lo, set in a theater play style. I enjoyed this a lot, this also happens to be on Netflix check it out.

A Perfect Getaway (2009) This suprised the hell out of me how much I liked it so much, Olyphan-tastic was great, The way this movie did it's twist was something special and I urge you to watch it, it's not like those common tropical getaway movies that turn bloody. Also has a sweet cast, also be sure to watch the Unrated Director's Cut Version of the film.

Last edited by predator_silver; 11-16-2012 at 01:12 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by predator_silver View Post
Lo (2009) The Demon Lo, set in a theater play style. I enjoyed this a lot, this also happens to be on Netflix check it out
YESSS!!!!

Watched this a couple years back and was completely blown away by it. Simple (as you say it could have easily been a stage production) and very engrossing, loved every second of it. It's something I'd recommend to friends but it's impossible to get in the UK unless you import or download it.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Apart from Perfect Getaway I hadn't even heard of these films before, thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 PM
The only Oliver Grunner movie i consider good is NEMESIS ... and not for his acting ( he is always out acted by a wood plank and/or Kristen Steward ... possibly with both acting as a duo).
Old 11-17-2012, 01:22 AM
To: Dirtyfrog - Yeah as for Oliver Gruner movies, you would be hard pressed to find a good one in his whole film body of work, As for Nemesis I didn't really care for that one, it just seemed very slap rushed and edited together. It was something about the Automatic movie that struck a cord with me, maybe because I was 12 years old at the time when watching it and liked the style and story. As for his acting he plays a robot and doesn't say to much. I know the only way to get a copy of it is out of region on DVD.

To: Tony_Montana as for A perfect Getaway Yeah it is the most common out of those I was a little hesitant to throw it on here, but its fresh in my mind, and I went threw my DVD collection in my mind and thought of movies I would never part with no matter what.

To: Cronos I'm glad you also liked the movie LO I would highly recommend you watching INK then because the Art and Visuals in that movie are amazing, I actually purchased both of those at the same time, and always have them linked maybe because I first saw them one after another for the first time. As for DVD copies you can always get a all region DVD player and purchase some region 1 version, its like me buying the UK version of Return of the Living Dead SE.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:19 AM
Movies I tell people to watch? Pt 2

I did some looking threw my collection and found more.

Rampage (2009) Yes that isn't your eyes playing tricks on you it's a movie directed by Uwe Boll. Let's just say he finally sneezed out a good movie.

LOOK (2007) A film done from security camera's P.O.V. very interesting and so true how we are as a society. This movie actually spawned a Series.

Re-cycle (2006) This is a sub-titled movie and is worth your attention, Very well thought out and a heck of a good story.

End of the Line (2007) This is a very religious in tone movie, but all that is overshadowed by one hell of a cool ending, I keep this around for the ending alone.

Ravenous (1999) I'm sure most of you have probably seen this, but 90% of the people I have told this to haven't so here it is if you haven't. For some reason I find myself throwing this in my player a lot, love the music and the actors in it.

Dear Zachary: A letter to a son about his father (2008) This is one hell of a Documentary, its something that needs to be seen to believed. Probably one of my favorite Documentaries.
Well that's it for now, Not sure if any of these are on Netflix I'm hoping 1 or 2 are, but if not I urge you to give them a look, and hope I have inspired you to come back for future lists.

Last edited by predator_silver; 11-17-2012 at 02:22 AM..
Old 11-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Predator_Silver : well Nemesis is terrible on so many level but i think the core story ( at which point does one stop being human and becomes a robot ) is incredible and should be remade with a bigger budget and better actors.

Rampage is easily the best Uwe Boll movie.

I liked Ravenous but the "Benny Hill" music chase was retarded. CO-CO-RICO !
Really good casting to boot.

I need to check Re-Cycle. Love the Pang Brothers ... and is this an anime ?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 PM
To Dirtyfrog, Yeah Automatic and Nemesis are what I consider Oliver Gruner best movies for whatever that is worth, I find it strange that his best movies are him playing a Robot/Cyborg , that's funny! I just prefer Automatic because I can slap that in and watch it over and over, where as Nemesis it's a hard watch for me. Granted both movies are of a robot coming to terms of Human like feelings and actions.

As for Re-Cycle it isn't an Anime it is live action with good computer visual's and CGI, which are done very well.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Movies I tell people to watch? Pt 3

I have ran across more movies to talk about. I have also made it a point to only start putting movies that have less then 10,000 votes on there IMDB ratings.

The Other Side (2006) This movie is something special and with a budget of $15,000 is something I still can't believe how well it was made for how little. This is also from the Director of "Dance Of the Dead" which I also Enjoyed very much. If you run across this give it a shot.

The Hidden (1987) I really enjoy watching this every time, If you haven't seen it your missing out. A great movie which I prefer over any of the body snatcher movies by a long shot. The Hidden is a Hidden classic gem.

Night of the Creeps (1986) Shocked this is under the 10,000 votes, A great movie, A mix of a lot of classic horror styles all in one. I'm pretty sure inspired the movie "Slither" another movie I liked a lot. If you enjoyed Slither at all you will enjoy this a lot. Thrill Me!

That's it for now!

Last edited by predator_silver; 02-11-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Old 11-21-2012, 06:56 AM
Movies I tell people to watch? Pt 4

More Movies!!

Street Thief (2006) This is a sweet Mock-documentary film, It seems so real, and very well done, the name Casper Carr I will always remember. You would almost swear that this was a real documentary it's so well done. This also happens to be on Netflix I urge to to watch, very engrossing film.

Hunter Prey (2010) A Sci/Fi movie done in the older sci/fi style I enjoyed this, the hunters look a lot like Boba Fett's with the suits they wear from star wars. It's a good film on a small budget I enjoyed!!

Deathstalker 2 (1987) Yes, your seeing that right a Deathstalker, ignore all the other Deathstalkers (there are 4 of them total), But this is the best and a parody & Comedy of all those barbarian movies like Conan's, Deathstalker 1, and others like it. As for the film I couldn't stop laughing at this and enjoyed the hell out of it. I like the actor they got to play main, as well as the hot female lead. I think its funny the Director read the original script for this, and basically threw it out, and said that will never work and did his own thing which thank the lord, because the route he went, makes this the only Deathstalker you actually want to watch more then once. Its funny and Great in a good way. Please know you don't need to see Deathstalker 1 to enjoy this (trust me I'm doing you a favor for skipping it, and just watch 2 and end there)!
Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by predator_silver View Post

A Perfect Getaway (2009) This suprised the hell out of me how much I liked it so much, Olyphan-tastic was great, The way this movie did it's twist was something special and I urge you to watch it, it's not like those common tropical getaway movies that turn bloody. Also has a sweet cast, also be sure to watch the Unrated Director's Cut Version of the film.
Good recommendation.

I didn't notice that much of a difference other than the naked people dancing on the beach in the director's cut.

I guess my situational awareness kinda sucks.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM
The best "hidden gem" I have ever seen. Can't recommend it highly enough...

Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Hello, 1000

Hello, I finally got time to watch the rest of your "Absentia" Movie. I liked were it was going, but then it ended leaving you wanting to know a bit more, that's all. But it reminded me of the movie "The New Daughter" (2009) with Kevin Costner. I think you might like it!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Horror specifically has a great deal of flicks that just never get big publicity. Every year my top 10 horror movies is 90% stuff that never got to a theater near me. I don't fully have the energy or drive to go back and and think of the 100's of amazing flicks nobody talks about but rock. I will post my a couple from this year though.

All of these are out of 10

Sound of My Voice 10
Stitches 9
Maniac 8 1/2
Juan of the Dead 8
John Dies At the End 8
Citadel 8
Antiviral 7 1/2
Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM
Movies I tell people to watch? Pt 6

I'm Back! Currently been watching the new "Dredd" movie almost every night can't get enough of it, Love the tone, and the style of that movie. If you haven't seen it I would urge any you to do so, it's nothing like the sly Comedy version. Anyways on to the new inputs.

First

HOUSE (1977)
This was released by the good people at Criterion Collection, I knew I had to see this movie just by the cover, mind you I had never seen it before at that time. But It is one hell of a art style for it's time some of the visual's are insanely awesome, truly a lost gem. This movie is subtitles but a must watch for anyone who wants to see something different and trust me this is different. Well worth the price of the movie.

BODY BAGS (1993)
This John Carpenter movie is a compilation of 3 stories, with the story teller which happens to be "John Carpenter" which happens to be my favorite character in the movie. But The stories are decent and should be given a watch for sure. To find this movie in a region 1 is a little pricey and somewhat hard to find.

BLOW OUT 1981
This is a great movie and has a great payoff at the end considering his job occupation which is a sound editor / recorder. Give this a watch I know you should enjoy this.

ROAD GAMES (1981)
I just talked about this movie on another thread, about it being on my want list. I enjoyed this movie, its basically "Rear Window" on a Highway, with a splash of the "Duel" movie also. Something about this appealed to me a lot. To find this movie in a region 1 is a little pricey and somewhat hard to find. But if you get the chance you should watch it.

Last edited by predator_silver; 10-28-2013 at 10:27 PM..