#1  
Old 12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Have you ever been unemployed

If you have been unemployed or retreched from your job how have you coped with this

I know a few years back l was in the unemployment line and l was unemployed for around 6yrs

it is amazing how you feel when going through this and the confidence you lose while trying to get back into the workforce

Some job interveiws have around 3oo people going for it and well sometimes you miss out and that is not good for the convidence

Also when you are out of work for a long time your work history is put into your face because in other words it is unstable which can be bad when the employer you are having the interveiw asks that very qestion

How long have you been out of work and you reply with Umm 6 yrs

They dont want to know you from that point and it is hard to keep going

I remember the employment agency l was with said l was good for nothing and that l should only go fro the worst jobs well l went and had a look at the job and thought l can do better than this and didnt go back

So well l lost my umemployment benifits for 3mths and it was around christmas and l can say it was terrible losing my benifits around this time and having asmall child who was looking forward to christmas and me knowing that the christmas tree would be bare of presents

So within a week l got my current job which l have been there for 5 yrs and getting good money when l was told l was worthless

Also we can talk about people being retrenched and most of those workers are over 50 or older

Has this happened to you where you have been at the same job for years and then told to go

My dad was 23 when he was hired as a postman well he got to the age of 55 and they got rid of him after 30yrs the way he felt about this was terrible and trying to find a job at this age or older is pretty hard when you are up against young people

Anyway tell us all your stories if you have been unemployed and the effects this has had on you

I would never look down on the unemployed because l have been there and it is hard

Also have you been retrenched from your job and what feeling did you have about this
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Yup. When the economy tanked at the end of 2008, even though the company I worked for was doing fine, they canned me and my boss. Not too long after that, they closed the entire Kansas City office and about a dozen people lost their jobs.

That was around the time, you may remember, that we were losing around 750,000 jobs a month. I filed for unemployment and my company fought me on it. But, as they didn't follow the right protocol before firing me, I fought back and eventually won, as they didn't even try and defend their practices.

I applied to countless jobs, many of which I wasn't qualified for, with no reply. I went to a few job fairs before realizing what a complete waste of time those are (hundreds show up for a handful of positions - don't bother unless it's a line of work you are extremely qualified and experienced in).

I got my first interview in April, 2010 - eighteen months after I lost my job. I thought the interview went great. I anticipated their questions and answered them before they could even ask. Never heard back. My second job interview wasn't for another four months. Again, interview went great; it was the kind of work I had done before; I knew what they were going to ask before they did, etc., etc. Nothing.

I lucked out and snagged something right as my benefits were about to run out for good. The job wasn't great. The pay wasn't great. But I had no alternative. Luckily, it's worked out okay. I've been there two years and make enough to get by (along with another part time job).

I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. Constant rejection is extremely demoralizing and depressing, especially when you know you can do the job. Luckily, with the emergency unemployment extensions, I was able to pay my bills and stay in my apartment.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Yup. When the economy tanked at the end of 2008, even though the company I worked for was doing fine, they canned me and my boss. Not too long after that, they closed the entire Kansas City office and about a dozen people lost their jobs.

That was around the time, you may remember, that we were losing around 750,000 jobs a month. I filed for unemployment and my company fought me on it. But, as they didn't follow the right protocol before firing me, I fought back and eventually won, as they didn't even try and defend their practices.

I applied to countless jobs, many of which I wasn't qualified for, with no reply. I went to a few job fairs before realizing what a complete waste of time those are (hundreds show up for a handful of positions - don't bother unless it's a line of work you are extremely qualified and experienced in).

I got my first interview in April, 2010 - eighteen months after I lost my job. I thought the interview went great. I anticipated their questions and answered them before they could even ask. Never heard back. My second job interview wasn't for another four months. Again, interview went great; it was the kind of work I had done before; I knew what they were going to ask before they did, etc., etc. Nothing.

I lucked out and snagged something right as my benefits were about to run out for good. The job wasn't great. The pay wasn't great. But I had no alternative. Luckily, it's worked out okay. I've been there two years and make enough to get by (along with another part time job).

I wouldn't wish unemployment on anyone. Constant rejection is extremely demoralizing and depressing, especially when you know you can do the job. Luckily, with the emergency unemployment extensions, I was able to pay my bills and stay in my apartment.
Been there and can concur, except I didn't have unemployment, I went through all my savings thinking at most, I'd be unemployed for a year. I went a little over 2 years being unemployed and it is a blackhole of oblivion that no one wants to ever visit, but if you're lucky enough to slowly be able to crawl out of it, it can make you a better person. But if you can go without that experience, all the power to you.

There were two points where I really felt like "Oh my God, I will never find work and my life will be meaningless": the first was when I applied and got an interview at a company I researched whose work I fell in love it. I was giving my all. Any question they posed I was on it with an experienced answer, I was friendly, knowledgeable and confident. Then I noticed the interviewer wasn't giving me any questions, nothing that was very involved. She was pulling away. I was dead in the water.

That hurt.

The second was when I applied to a job that was EXACTLY like a job I previously had for over a year and half. I didn't even get a freaking interview. Right there I thought "I can't even get an interview doing the exact same job I had done before, what chance do I have of getting any job?" That's when your life flashes before your eyes. Not your past, but your hypothetical future life, paralleled with your new reality future. That's when you just sleep the days away until they all just pass as a blur because its all become meaningless.

Despite how unbelievably desperate and low I felt during those 2 years I thank Christ I had the family I have, because if I didn't I would absolutely be out in the street somewhere living out some nightmarish statistic.




If you really want to read a vast array of unemployment stories, some relate-able some debatable, then I insist you read Gawker's continuing series Unemployment Stories. Real people really suffering through this great recession.

Last edited by electriclite; 12-03-2012 at 12:04 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 AM
I hear ya. Are you alright now though, electriclite? Did you find a job you like, or at least something? It's a fucking bitch especially when you apply for a shitty internship position that you're overqualified for and don't even get a call - now THAT stings.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
I hear ya. Are you alright now though, electriclite? Did you find a job you like, or at least something? It's a fucking bitch especially when you apply for a shitty internship position that you're overqualified for and don't even get a call - now THAT stings.

Dude, unpaid internships are a fucking dirty word to me after this experience. If you need me, fucking pay me. Even if its shit, show me that the work I'm gonna do has some value, because if they're not gonna pay you for work then its not anything they really value to begin with, and why would you want to waste your time working on that?

I was EXTREMELY lucky. I applied to a job at a science museum for a technology mentor position working with kids. The irony of it is, I NEVER thought I could work with kids. I thought I did not have the temperment for it and considering all the legalities involved working with kids I thought I would never get a call let alone an interview. I had no previous experience working with kids, but they called gave me a phone interview and hired me. I was only once a week helping kids create 3D representations of climate change (whether you believe it exists or not it gave me a job and a paycheck for 7 months). To my surprise I actually did a really good job. The people AND the kids loved me. So much so they invited me to work two 2 week summer sessions.

The sad thing is the program finally ended after this summer, and of course I was bummed about being unemployed again, but after I had sent a connection invitation from my LinkedIn account to my supervisor I got a call from him. He told me he was writing a bunch of grant proposals with me in mind to work on those projects. He said some extremely nice things about me that I swear almost made me tear-up. It was akin to that feeling when you find out a crush you have actually likes you back. I spent almost 2 years feeling obsolete and useless and here was someone telling me "No you're not, in fact you're awesome and we like you!" That was a badly needed injection of confidence and purpose.

I am working right now, part-time at a nice place and things are looking up and I'm using this opportunity to really build myself back up again.

Last edited by electriclite; 12-03-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2012, 02:56 AM
Life's a fucking rollercoaster, I tell ya.

Yea internships have a pretty evil side to them, essentially exploitation - but if it's between getting a foot in the door in the career field you actually like and being completely unemployed - I'll take it. But then, it all depends on what position you're in.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
I know a few years back l was in the unemployment line and l was unemployed for around 6yrs
Was there actually a line?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM
I was also going to say that Coles and a few ssupermarkets hire poeplr of different ages and most jobs you have to go on the internet which a few years ago you could just go in the storell

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-07-2012 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Sorry postted twice by mistake

Last edited by Bondgirl; 12-06-2012 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erroneous View Post
Was there actually a line?
To answer your question employment. Line is a word of expressiun meaning that sometimes liar abut of Aussie lingo
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2012, 10:36 AM
yeah when I was in prison for 14 months. That's the only time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Well when you were in prison that is if you are telling the truth you wouldnt have got unemployment money

Maybe a allowance which you would use when released from prison
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Well when you were in prison that is if you are telling the truth you wouldnt have got unemployment money

Maybe a allowance which you would use when released from prison
What would I have to gain by lieing about being in prison on an internet movie form?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump