Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:51 PM
What film(s) did everyone watch today? Redux Quatro!

The old thread was getting a little too big for its own weight, so here's a brand new thread (likely the longest ongoing thread in the history of our site) regarding everyone's LATEST MOVIE VIEWINGS...

Remember that you can also elaborate on your viewings in MOVIE FAN CENTRAL, just a click away...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:52 PM

4/10
Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Haywire - The fight scenes were really good but the rest of the film dragged at times. It just wasn't all that exciting watching the conspiracy unfold. There weren't any huge flaws it was just bland. Gina Carano can definitely kick some serious ass though. 6/10
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 PM
The Impossible - *** 1/2

Pretty powerful and intense stuff. I must confess, the reunited scene near the end had me in tears. As much as I love both Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence's performances, I am definitely rooting for Naomi Watts to win the Oscar. She's absolutely incredible. But then so is Ewan McGregor and all of the young actors playing the children. Definitely one of the best ensemble casts of the year.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacaskill View Post
Haywire - The fight scenes were really good but the rest of the film dragged at times. It just wasn't all that exciting watching the conspiracy unfold. There weren't any huge flaws it was just bland. Gina Carano can definitely kick some serious ass though. 6/10
I agree with you here. The action scenes were well done, but the characters just weren't interesting enough for me to care about what was happening. I was surprised that it got such good reviews.

Carlito's Way - rewatch *** 1/2

Longish, but still compelling film thanks to the performances by Al Pacino and especially Sean Penn.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 AM
Django Unchained

The new Tarantino flick, I gotta be cruel, there can't be any favours now, straight down the line. So first off I've never really been much of a Tarantino fan, the guy made two decent films many many years ago ('Pulp Fiction' and 'Reservoir Dogs') and has pretty much lived off the reputation he gained ever since.

So what we have here is a 60/70's type retro homage to the classic violent Westerns of that time mainly made by Leone. The thing is this film is not a spaghetti Western, it may look like one or try to imitate one but its not. The term 'spaghetti Western' was coined during the 60's for Western films that were made in Italy/Spain with Italians and other Euro folk, for budgetary reasons. This is a mega budget film jam packed with huge squillion dollar earning stars, far from the source material methinks.

Think 'The Man with the Iron Fists' and you're on the right track my friends, this is a Western equivalent.

This may have worked much better with more of an unknown cast. The huge overpaid names hired tend to detach you from the reality of the setting, you'd think Tarantino would know better.

The plot is the standard revenge one but with a difference, this Western is all about African slaves, one particular slave fighting back, fighting the man. Now this is a plus point for the film as its not shying away from real history unlike many old Westerns. This is a great concept for a great realistic drama/thriller, unfortunately what we get is yet another typical Tarantino personal fanboy flick which kinda borders on old blaxploitation flicks. You could almost say the film has 'Superfly' stylings, Jamie Foxx's character turns from innocent slave to 'Shaft' in the Wild West accompanied by a dreadful soundtrack to boot, there's even rap in this!.

Yes the film is violent which is cool but again Tarantino just goes way over board almost making the film a spoof in some places. Now having ridiculously huge exploding bloody squibs is top stuff, exhibit A: 'Robocop' and 'Total Recall'...the 90's version of course, what do you take me for!? geez!. But these films were futuristic sci-fi so you could believe the excess blood as possible with futuristic weapons. This film is a period set Western so it is totally ludicrous looking, of course its not suppose to be a serious film but these little things matter for your suspension of disbelief.

To be honest I was kinda expecting an old style Western much like Eastwood classics such as the 'Dollars' trilogy or 'Josey Wales' or the original 'Django' even!. But alas I was disappointed with this film, disappointed to see its just another excuse for Tarantino to use profanity and needless violence for almost three hours!!! wha!!!?.

Acting is pretty terrible from everybody bar Waltz who really should be in more serious epic roles where his talent would be better shown off. Jackson is perfect for the film as he gets to shout and swear continuously using his two favourite words whilst showing very little other talent, this man is the most over hyped actor in cinematic history. Didn't care about any of the characters a tall, only Waltz gave an interesting turn as the innocent peaceful dentist with a lethal hidden skill. Maybe they should of used Denzel Washington for 'Django', Foxx is bland and dull.

Not advisable to watch if you're a touchy liberal lefty that's for sure, this film may be a homage of sorts but the 'N' word is said so much you may come out thinking its OK to use it much like any other naughty word. I realise this film has done well but I simply can't understand why, I've seen a whole string of films recently which are far superior to this ('Killing Them Softly' 'Flight' 'Lincoln' 'Looper' 'Hobbit'). For me this had potential to be a really good serious Western ala 'Unforgiven' but instead its just more funky Tarantino retro trash.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 AM

City Lights (1931) by Charles Chaplin (8/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021749/

Modern Times (1936) by Charles Chaplin (9/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027977/

Ordet (1955) by Carl Theodor Dreyer (10/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048452/

Bicycle Thieves (1948) by Vittorio De Sica (9/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done (2009) by Werner Herzog (7/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233219/

Mulholland Dr. (2001) by David Lynch (10/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/

Vampyr (1932) by Carl Theodor Dreyer (9/10)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023649
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM
The Sessions - 8/10
Beasts Of The Southern Wild - 6/10
Meh.

Last edited by Cronos; 01-22-2013 at 08:04 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Step Brothers

10/10
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
Zero Dark Thirty - 4/5

Rambo: First Blood Part II - 3/5
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Side By Side

It wasn't bad - a bit uneven I thought.

8/10
Old 01-31-2013, 01:42 AM
The Perks of Being a Wallflower

9/10
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 AM
Gangster Squad - ***

Awesome movie. Brolin, Gosling, Mackie and Patrick are super badass. Penn is over the top in a great way. Emma Stone looks stunning though she is underused. Just an enormously entertaining movie. I'm actually glad that they filmed a different ending, because the hotel set climax is awesome.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:57 AM
Wild Target (5/10)
Zero Dark Thirty (10/10)
Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 AM
first time viewing just finished

7/10
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Linings Playbook (2012) 7/10
Argo 96% (2012) 9/10
Road to Perdition (2002) 6/10
Brother's Keeper (1992) 9/10
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 PM
The Master

Need to see it more than once to be sure where I stand on it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:08 AM

8/10 Great music.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 AM
THE SESSIONS - 7/10

Not too shabby. I thought it was going to be one of those terribly super-sappy melodramas that just plain piss me off.
There weren't many surprises, nor was it a terribly complex film, but it is what it is and for being such it works.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 AM

5/10
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Bullet To the Head

Sylvester Stallone sleepwalks through this very basic and for the most part dull action flick.
Even the axe fight which i was looking forward to,is lackluster.
Scale of 1-10 a 5

Young Adam

Bleak but honest story of an amoral drifter,who faces a dilemna that could
alter his life forever

Scale of 1-10 an 8

Paul Williams Still Alive

Engrossing and interesting documentary of the multi-talented Williams,and how
even the brightest stars in Hollywood can slowly fade away.

Scale of 1-10 a 10

MOVIE 43

An extremely vulgar version of Saturday Night Live,but just like SNL
some of the sketches are very funny and some are painfully unfunny and go on to
long.

Scale of 1-10 a 6½
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Classic Albums: Fleetwood Mac - 08/10
Mission Impossible IV - 10/10
https://netflix.hs.llnwd.net/e1/images/6892/1096892.jpg
Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Wreck-It Ralph (2012)

Now call me ageist but I firmly believe if you were born around 1980 then you will really get much more out of this film. I'm not saying that no one else will of course, everyone will enjoy this ride but the pure retrotastic feast on offer here will make certain folk of a certain age grin from ear to ear. I really will try not to use the word 'retro' too much here...ah who am I kidding!.

Just to see the poster for this film is glorious, the classically designed 80's style arcade front that clearly homages games like the original 'Donkey Kong' and maybe 'Rampage' is beautiful. Even the title of the film is perfect, the team behind this film have really hit the nail on the head.

For a fictional game 'Wreck-It Ralph' is beautifully designed and could so easily be a real game. The character sprites of 'Fix-It Felix Jr' ('Donkey Kong Jr'?) and 'Turbo' in 'TurboTime' ('Rally-X'?) are also well done.

The plot isn't as simplistic as you would imagine either. Obviously it involves a struggle against a villain but the writing team have cleverly used the common problem of old game glitches, hacking (not so much old school with this of course) or 'crashing' alongside the more typical rescue theme. I also loved how they went about creating the whole videogame world underneath (or behind) those trusty old arcade cabinets. Using the cables as a kind of subway portal to a main hub where all characters go to relax or meet, a huge videogame central station.

I can't deny I've often thought about how worlds like this might or could exist/work if you wanted to make a film centered around a videogame universe. Same with how you would create a world/universe which incorporated every cartoon character ever.

I loved everything I saw in this game, almost. The visuals of course are top notch CGI as expected but I'm referring to the mix of old school and new gen videogame worlds, characters and styles. All characters have a modern CGI sheen but they still keep their traditional artistic style somewhat. But its the little things that really made me smile, the sound effects for one, small touches that bring everything together. All those legendary pings, rings, dings, power up's and extra life sounds and are all in place for the various characters.

Also loved how in the old 8-bit style game sequences everything has a pixelated edge...just like the games. Nice use of a classic Nintendo D-pad tucked away in there too, why not more from Nintendo in this?.

When 'Sonic' gets hit he spills a load of rings everywhere, 'Clyde' the ghost from 'Pacman' hovers as he should and has those classic 8-bit effects when he goes blue, 'Q*bert' sprites are as you remember them including balloon speech, the 'Wreck-It Ralph' sprites all move in a jerky limited way just like old 8-bit sprites and there are many small cameos from game characters ranging from back in the day to present day. In fact I'm sure many young folk watching won't have a clue who some of them are.

This is all boosted even more with lovely little real in-game sequences from a few games like 'Pacman' and 'Tapper'...which I was so pleased to see. Oh my 'Tapper' or 'Root Beer Tapper' was one of those old school games that spawned a huge following of fans and copies, you would find it in bars for heavens sake!. Makes you wish they still had those dark dingy mist filled arcades chock full of those wonderful cabinets.

The only criticism that hit me whilst watching, which is more a constructive artistic difference of opinion really, is the lack of real game environments. In other words, how much cooler would this film had been if the 'game zone' of 'Heroes Duty' was actually 'Halo' or 'COD'. Or if the game zone of 'Sugar Rush' had been 'Mariokart' both with all their gameworld characters. I realise its a small moan and copyrights I'm sure came into play hugely but seriously!!! how fudging awesome would that have been!!!!?? makes me dribble at the thought of it.

The other thing was, 'Vanellope' still has her glitch 'skill' at the end, so how come that's not seen as a game fault causing it to be 'out of order'?. Oh and 'King Candy' looks and sounds like 'The Mad Hatter' from Disney's 'Alice in Wonderland'.

My imagination was running wild whilst watching this film and long after. I wanted there to be more characters, more sprites, more worlds, more classic sound effects etc...just more input from various giant videogame companies. The last film to make me feel like this (slightly) was 'Scott Pilgrim' and all the nice little videogame touches that had. Before that you gotta go way back to the cartoon 'Captain N: The Game Master' which was a Nintendo fueled awesome fest (look it up).

This animated film has so much win in it I simply can't include it all. Yes a major part of me liking this is because I'm looking at it through some pretty darn thick rose tinted specs but everyone my age will be the same (if you played videogames). Just like 'Toy Story' the film taps into a long distant loving childhood memory and brings it all flooding back. Not even a childhood memory seeing as I'm sure many still play but the retro appeal here is as strong as an iron girder. Makes you wonder why it hasn't been done before.

Did I see 'Sub-Zero' in this or just a character like him?. Oh stick around for the end credits as they are nicely done also.

'Right here. I'm Zangief, I'm bad guy'
Old 02-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Warm Bodies

8.5/10
Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
The Broadway Melody - A cliche ridden story from the early days of sound films. The performances weren't all that bad but it is definitely dated as well as being formulaic. 4/10

Wreck-It Ralph - There's some fun to be had in this story about a video game villain trying to fit in. John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman actually did a pretty good job in their voice roles. Sometimes the story got a little bit too silly (especially whenever Jack McBrayer's character was onscreen) but it was a solid film. 7/10
Old 02-20-2013, 11:10 PM
Man's Best Friend (1993)

This film is listed as a black comedy? well I guess some of the effects are now amusing sure. The plot is one that is sure to get emotions high, its all about medical experiments on animals by some mad/sadistic doctor who is trying to create the prefect super dog, and nothings gonna get in his way.

This means there are lots of sequences with animals shown locked up, experimented on, being captured etc...all the things that would make most animal loving people squirm uncomfortably. On the flip side because the film is based around a dog there are also some cringing soppy moments although we're not talking 'Beethoven' type soppiness.

The plot is basically a 'Terminator' 'Jaws' mixed idea but for a dog. The huge hound prowls around the neighbourhood getting up to no good like killing the postman, eating a cat whole, eating a parrot whole and half killing another dog by screwing it good n proper. The effects now are laughably bad with hokey puppets and a silly 'Terminator' style focusing eye close up from time to time. Although I must admit they do well to get the dog to look menacing at the right moments, but he's a cute big fella really.

The whole thing is totally dumb and looks poor today, its reasonably amusing just to see Lance Henriksen do his wide eyed crazy villain thing which he does so damn well. The ending 'twist' is sooooooo predictable but I'm glad they never made another as the whole notion is just stupid. A good example of this is the sequence where the dog camouflages itself like a chameleon would, riiiiiight.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Skyfall. 10/10

Movie was badass
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Manhattan - 7/10

I wanted to like it more than I did, but this seems like it'll be a grower (it's usually the case with a lot of Woody Allen's movies).

Tears of Gaza - 8/10

Not for the weak of heart, but absolutely necessary viewing. The director was refused access into Gaza during the 2008 attacks that were launched by Israel, so she contacted different filmmakers in the region to capture footage for her. The doc goes back and forth between scenes from the attacks and months later when three different children in Gaza are profiled. The footage from the attacks are going to be hard to stomach for anyone, with one part involving parents showing the bullet holes on their dead infant children that I'll probably never forget.

This doc comes from a very angry place, but other than an opening crawl that gives some statistics the moments captured on camera do all the talking. The only negative statements about Israel come from the citizens interviewed in the film, which is understandable considering what they've went through. This will probably never get a proper release (it had a brief run in NYC and, now 3 years after its release, you'll have to hunt it down online if you want to see it) but it naturally shares a lot in common with the Oscar nominated doc 5 Broken Cameras. Both of them show how, whether it's aggression in Bil'in or warfare in Gaza, the inhumane and horrifying actions on display suck out any and all political aspects.

I Am A Ghost - 7/10

Can't say much for certain reasons but despite its limitations (mostly due to budget) this is a breath of fresh air for the horror genre. For a horror film it has more in common with Chantal Akerman and Michael Haneke than Paranormal Activity. Currently without distribution, but hopefully that'll change soon.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 PM
The West Wing: The Complete Seventh Season

I’m still not sure why they went all Sopranos on the DVD art, but anyway, another quandary for another day. This season comes serialized by necessity with the presidential campaign pitting Democratic nominee Matt Santos (Jimmy Smits) and Republican Arnold Vinick (Alan Alda). It’s a faster and looser structure I’m more partial to after being spoiled on premium cable series, but it fits this particular storyline the most, since every leg of the campaign is critical to both candidates. Best episode that stands out the most for me, predictably enough, had to be the “Debate”, which was a literally live edition of the show that aired as a real televised NBC debate would. I’m amazed that Alda and Smits pulled it off as well as they did, with the lights on bright. Remarkable. Elsewhere, the show delivers what might be its strongest, most emotional year of the Bartlet presidency to date due to the real life death of John Spencer (and therefore the great character of Leo McGarry). It was both a tragedy for the acting profession and for the Bartlet saga, with the funeral episode “Requiem” eliciting more than a thin sheen of mist from yours truly. What surprised me the most, however, was the fact that a chunk of the regular cast aside from Spencer – including Martin Sheen - are punted to the sidelines in favor of those directly involved in the Santos/Vinick campaigns (Bradley Whitford as Josh being the MVP of this season, without question). More Toby in the finale would’ve been nice, but I understood why they couldn’t do more for him. I think Allison Janney was the only one with a consistent appearance through most of the season, and even then her role as Chief of Staff was downplayed, save for some geopolitical drama involving a Russian/Chinese standoff over oil reserves in Kazakhstan. All in all, it’s sad to have reached the end of one of the greatest shows ever, but I feel smarter for having watched it. Slightly, anyway. Only so much you can do after you’ve led the horse to the spring, know what I mean? But to close this out, you know who made the best guest star, by far? Dean “Hank Schrader” Norris! As the fuckin’ RNC Chairman! Ha! I wanted him to chuckle devilishly and call Alan Alda “Vinney”, just once. Alas, we can’t all get what we want…

-> 10/10
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Quantum of Solace - 6/10
Old 02-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Pennies From Heaven - Well that was weird. A drab drama set during the Depression with bright musical numbers used for the characters fantasies. I'm not really a fan of Steve Martin but I did like Bernadette Peters. 6/10

Life of Pi - This was a pretty faithful adaptation of the book with some impressive effects. This was a really well made film and I liked the actor who played Pi as an adult. 8/10
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post

Tears of Gaza - 8/10

Not for the weak of heart, but absolutely necessary viewing. The director was refused access into Gaza during the 2008 attacks that were launched by Israel, so she contacted different filmmakers in the region to capture footage for her. The doc goes back and forth between scenes from the attacks and months later when three different children in Gaza are profiled. The footage from the attacks are going to be hard to stomach for anyone, with one part involving parents showing the bullet holes on their dead infant children that I'll probably never forget.

This doc comes from a very angry place, but other than an opening crawl that gives some statistics the moments captured on camera do all the talking. The only negative statements about Israel come from the citizens interviewed in the film, which is understandable considering what they've went through. This will probably never get a proper release (it had a brief run in NYC and, now 3 years after its release, you'll have to hunt it down online if you want to see it) but it naturally shares a lot in common with the Oscar nominated doc 5 Broken Cameras. Both of them show how, whether it's aggression in Bil'in or warfare in Gaza, the inhumane and horrifying actions on display suck out any and all political aspects.
This sounds fascinating, and something I'd love to watch - but again, the visceral content is hard to stomach for me. Usually this shit is seared into my memories forever. Is there a lot of such footage with the dead children and such. I'd love to watch, however would it still have a relatively the same impact if I skipped on these scenes? are there a lot of them in there?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM
The Impossible (2012) 8/10
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Kafka - 7/10
Cimarron - 3/10
Lore - 7/10
Safe Haven - 4/10
L'argent - 8/10
Carnival of Sinners - 5/10
The Perks of Being a Wallflower - 7/10
The Aviator's Wife - 7/10
A Good Marriage - 6/10
Boyfriends and Girlfriends - 7/10
This Is Not a Film - 8/10
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 AM
The Killer

6/10

Rabid

5/10
Old 02-25-2013, 03:53 PM
House of Cards

A political thriller that isn’t about politics. Well, not really. Politics are merely the chosen method of asserting and fostering power to one’s own benefit, and no one understands this principle better than Congressman Frank Underwood. This is easily my favorite Kevin Spacey performance since American Beauty, an intimidating alpha male charmer that combines the Machiavellian savvy of a Shakespearean schemer with the modern moral turpitude of a John Edwards or Newt Gingrich. It’s a phenomenal, award-worthy performance that’s riveting to watch. That he gets to address the audience with the occasional theatrical aside seems fitting, since the performance almost demands to be given due deference, whether we sympathize with him or not (mostly not). This is a guy who can’t get enough of his own cleverness, and we should have to revel in it with him if we’re to get the most out of the ride. A good choice on the part of Fincher and company. Frank is matched in cunning only by his wife Claire (Robin Wright), a glamorous ice queen who knows just how to compliment her husband’s plans to their overall benefit through her seemingly beneficent clean-water NPO. Every episode is a marvel of juicy writing, laying Frank’s various plots on thick and many, stacking them one on top of the other that they constantly threaten to topple. Whether a teacher’s union doesn’t play ball with an education bill, or an alcoholic congressman being manipulated by Frank (Corey Stoll) starts to fall off the wagon, a part of you can’t help but hope Frank gets away with this shit, even as another part wants him to fall and fall hard.

-> 9/10
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Year of the Dragon

An epic on the triad underworld.

8/10
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
The Smiling Lieutenant with Maurice Chevalier, Miriam Hopkins, and Claudette Colbert - A young officer is forced to marry a princess in order to avoid an international incident he inadvertently caused. A few musical numbers were sort of goofy and seem out of place. The romantic triangle was decent and there were a few funny moments too. 6/10

Awakenings - Robin Williams was really good as the doctor trying to cure several catatonic patients. Robert DeNiro had his moments as well but there were a couple of times that seemed like he was overacting. 7/10
Old 02-28-2013, 03:56 PM
The Hunger

Incredibly esoteric and stylized. Tony Scott even admitted he was very much inspired by Nicholas Roeg and it definitely shows. Nevertheless this is a fun foray into the genre of "horror" by the man - one and only by Tony. It would have been interesting to see what he could do if he truly made a horror film like his brother.

6/10
Old 02-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Vogues of 1938 with Joan Bennett - A pretty dull musical in which a young woman works at a chic fashion house and falls for her boss. The story isn't terrible but the musical numbers drag the film down. 4/10

Merrily We Live with Constance Bennett - This comedy involves a man (believed to be a hobo at first) who starts to work for a rich family. Many screwball antics follow. It is pretty funny even if the plot is a little thin. 7/10
Closed Thread