Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Greatest Directorial Achievement?

I was looking through the other recently bumped thread on Kubrick where Quent mentions, I thought extremely interestingly, that Kubrick is not the greatest director of all time, but that 2001: A Space Odyssey is the Best Directed Film (singular) of all time.

So I have to imagine at least half the population of the boards simply won't have a response for a thread like this. But I propose it is an interesting question nevertheless. Typically we have a few threads which deal with directorial achievement. They almost always include body of work, but when they include individual achievements it is usually a big list like a top ten, or an "All time Oscars" gimmick; something, at least, to this extent. But here I say that I think it would be interesting to attempt the following: everyone is given one and only one choice. Gun to your head, what do you consider to be the (singular) Best Directed Film?* Everyone's post should just be a single title.

Last edited by Gordon; 02-13-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
A Clockwork Orange
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM
I'd agree that a good case can be made for 2001. It's hard to think of someone who was more innovative than Kubrick, really.

Also, an honorable-mention/shout-out to what I consider to be the best-directed film of the past 10-15 years: Children of Men.

Last edited by Reckoner; 02-13-2013 at 11:19 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM
Silence Of The Lambs
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 PM
Some of my favorite movies because of their direction -

2001: A Space Odyssey
Psycho
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Saving Private Ryan
Jaws
Pulp Fiction
Old 02-14-2013, 01:13 AM
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I was looking through the other recently bumped thread on Kubrick where Quent mentions, I thought extremely interestingly, that Kubrick is not the greatest director of all time, but that 2001: A Space Odyssey is the Best Directed Film (singular) of all time.
Apart from what might be the "Best Directed Film of all time", my vote for the "Best Directed Film of the 21st Century" would be either:

Mulholland Drive (D. Lynch) or
There Will Be Blood (P.T.A.)
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 AM
I'd like to throw consideration in for an amazing film I just saw like a month ago (I haven't been here as often lately), Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal. I love everything about it, and that final shot of the dance of death is so poignant, beautiful, and haunting.

Tapatalking from my bed. Ya mutha says hi.