Old 02-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Marriage

Are you married? If so, how is it going?

If not, are you wanting to get married?

Personally, I'm very skeptical of marriage. The guy has way too much to lose if there is a divorce (alimony and if there is a kid in the mix then theres child support as well)

One of my friends is 28 yrs old and has already been married TWICE! Thats just fuckin insane to me.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Currently single, never been married. I would like to get married someday, though.

My only worry is if it doesn't work out for me. I've seen many friends and families broken up over a lot of divorces. I don't want that happening to me. Plus, I'm also fiscally conservative, and those weddings and divorces are never cheap. So if I'm going to get married, I'm gonna stay married. Screw getting a lawyer and getting a divorce. If I were to separate, I'd go for an annulment instead. Last note on myself: if she won't sign a prenuptial agreement, then I'm not moving forward.

As far as marriage is concerned, when you consider the cost, I think that marriage is one of the biggest gambles you'll ever take in life. You're not only giving up half of everything that you have ever built in your life on your own up to now, but also half of everything that you'll ever earn for the rest of your life. I don't know about you guys, but if I'm to commit to one thing, much less a person, and for the rest of my life, I would find it highly advisable to try a few samples before buying the whole thing. It's one of the few times I'm thankful to live in today's time, where most traditional dating/relationship practices are on the decline.

...and here's where my beef with the Catholic Church (and any other religion that does a similar thing) comes in: as far as I know, growing up Catholic, they teach that the act of having sex for the first time is of the utmost importance...even moreso than getting married. Now I don't know about you guys, but I see something wrong there: to tell young people that in order to have sex and not have it be a sin in the eyes of God, then the price of admission is to abstain from all sexual activity (even masturbating) and then be in a fully committed, lifetime relationship with this person beforehand? Gimme a break.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
I was married for six years to a wonderful woman and a very good friend. We were in and out of the relationship phase and one day said "we're good together, let's get hitched!".
The time we were together was good, we cared about each other a great deal but the basis for "marriage", that "spark" just wasn't there.
We divorced back in 2010, started out rocky but we ended up civil.
We lost contact last year and haven't spoken since.

Marriage is a HUGE step and to be completely honest, I don't suggest it for everyone. It almost has this stigma attached to it that if you don't perform to a set number of tasks (which you WILL be graded on) then you're not the ideal mate and a lousy significant other.
I call b.s. on that.
You came together because there was something there as friends and that "extra" something pushed you into more than friends.
Getting married WILL signify that union BUT you can't let it pigeonholed you into thinking that the evaluation is under way.
THat's when problems can develop.
Well that and if one of you is "stepping out" or a myriad of other problems.
Is she still the only one that truly makes you happy?
Is he still the only one that can make you smile?
That's what matters most.
But a ring and certificate aren't really that necessary to signify that.
THose things are tangible proof.
Holding the hand of the one you love, sharing that love, THAT is the real signifying thing.

Happy Valentine's Day every one.
Rusty's not down on marriage.
It can be beautiful.
I will get married again someday.
But I'll know when the time is right.
And then, it will be glorious.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Not married, still in college and too young (I'm 21). But, maybe, one day, it could be something on my to do list. I could just as easily see myself just being with one particular individual but not married.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Most guys I know who are worried about losing half their shit if they ever got married and divorced, don't even have shit to begin with. They have a car that's not paid off, they rent an apartment, and their most valuable asset is a big screen tv.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:12 PM
I would love to get married someday, but my outlook on life and finding a woman I could connect with and love everyday for the rest of my life isn't the best. I hope so, one day.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM
What are the 3 rings in marriage?

Spoiler:
The engagement ring
The wedding ring
The suffering
Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
What are the 3 rings in marriage?

Spoiler:
The engagement ring
The wedding ring
The suffering
Damn right!

I'm also married......to my bachelorhood. I'ts extremely hard to find a date in these days.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM
http://dailynewsdig.com/how-do-you-d...itten-by-kids/

Quote:
HOW CAN A STRANGER TELL IF TWO PEOPLE ARE MARRIED?

(1) You might have to guess, based on whether they seem to be yelling at the same kids.
- Derrick, age 8

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR MOM AND DAD HAVE IN COMMON?

(1) Both donít want any more kids.
- Lori, age 8

HOW WOULD YOU MAKE A MARRIAGE WORK?

(1) Tell your wife that she looks pretty, even if she looks like a truck.

This one made laugh a lot. Kid is on to something.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
This one's my favorite:

Quote:
quote:
HOW WOULD THE WORLD BE DIFFERENT IF PEOPLE DIDNíT GET MARRIED?

(1) There sure would be a lot of kids to explain, wouldnít there?
- Kelvin, age 8