City of God
Inglourious Basterds
The Shawshank Redemption
The Dark Knight
Fight Club
Se7en
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Pulp Fiction - 10/10
Donnie Darko - Decent first effort from a freshman director, interesting but not great film. (Like 6/10?)
Reservoir Dogs - Incredible low budget freshman film, compulsively watchable, more of a compelling film oozing style than a substantial film with any interesting message. (8/10)
Memento - Good the first time, boring once you are familiar with everywhere the plot is taking us. (7/10)
City of God - 9/10 (Great message, great substance, great style, very interesting look into a world most of us are totally unaware of).
Inglourious Basterds - 7.5/10 (Set pieces are absolutely brilliant but is really altogether too immature for a serious subject matter and a little slow in between the set pieces)
The Shawshank Redemption (Has always been for me one of those very exact films you just assume every human being enjoys, and it is compulsively watchable, something which couldn't be improved upon, just a very interesting well made film. I recently rewatched it and discovered I really don't like it any more, but I am not certain whether this is because I have seen it too many times as a teenager or because I'm more aware of flaws) 9/10
The Dark Knight - (Typical blockbuster with a decade defining superhuman performance and a competent though overly heavy-handed moralizing director) 7/10
Fight Club - (Everybody knows the obvious aspects: its cool, its compelling, its entertaining, its stylistically impressive. Less respected I think is that it is actually philosophically more profound than people realize. I think its brand of existentialism is more interesting than a lot of pretentious New Wave and Neorealism films.) 10/10
Se7en - It has been a long time since I've seen it but I remember thinking its script is nearly flawless, and of course the direction and performances are all top-notch. The only problem I have is with its subject matter. 8/10
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 AM
On a 4 star scale:

Pulp Fiction - 4 stars
Donnie Darko - 3 stars
Reservoir Dogs - 4 stars
Memento - 4 stars
City of God - N/A
Inglourious Basterds - 3 stars
The Shawshank Redemption - 4 stars
The Dark Knight - 4 stars
Fight Club - 4 stars
Se7en - 4 stars
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 AM

Pulp Fiction - 4
Donnie Darko - N/A
Reservoir Dogs - 5
Memento - 3
City of God - 4
Inglourious Basterds - 4
The Shawshank Redemption - 5
The Dark Knight - 4
Fight Club - 5
Se7en - 5
Old 02-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Pulp Fiction:****
Donnie Darko:***
Reservoir Dogs:****
Memento: It's been too long.
City of God:****
Inglourious Basterds:****
The Shawshank Redemption:*****
The Dark Knight:****
Fight Club:****1/2
Se7en:**1/2
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefboysupreme View Post
Pulp Fiction 9/10
Donnie Darko 6/10
Reservoir Dogs 9/10
Memento 8/10
City of God 9/10
Inglourious Basterds 8/10
The Shawshank Redemption 10/10
The Dark Knight 9/10
Fight Club 9/10
Se7en
9/10

Overall a great list of 10 quality movies, if a bit uninspired.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM
1.) Pulp Fiction -10/10
2.) Se7en -10/10
3.) City of God -9/10
4.) The Shawshank Redemption -9/10
5.) Fight Club -9/10
6.) Memento -9/10
7.) Reservoir Dogs -8/10
8.) Inglourious Basterds -7.5/10
9.) Donnie Darko -6.5/10
10.) The Dark Knight -5/10

I think these are mostly good-great movies, but it may be worth expanding your horizons beyond what's "cool" and out in the last 20 years if film is more than a way to pass the time for you.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 02-21-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Last edited by SS-Block; 03-31-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM
1. Fight Club - 10/10
2. Donnie Darko - 10/10
3. The Shawshank Redemption - 10/10
4. Inglourious Basterds - 10/10
5. The Dark Knight -10/10
6. Se7en - 9/10
7. City of God 9/10
8. Pulp Fiction - 9/10
9. Memento - 9/10
10. Reservoir Dogs - 8/10
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Rankings out of 4 stars.

1. Pulp Fiction *** 1/2
2. City Of God *** 1/2
3. Se7en *** 1/2
4. Reservoir Dogs *** 1/2
5. Memento ***
6. Fight Club ***
7. Inglroious Bastards ***
8. The Shawshank Redemption ***
9. Donnie Darko ** 1/2
10. The Dark Knight ** 1/2
Old 02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Pulp Fiction= 9/10
City of God= 8/10
Seven= 9/10
Reservoir Dog= 8/10
Memento= 10/10
Fight Club= 10/10
Inglroious Basterds= 8/10
Shawshank= 9/10
Donnie Darko= 7/10
The Dark Knight= 9/10
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Pulp Fiction - 9/10
Donnie Darko - 7/10
Reservoir Dogs - 7/10
Memento - 8/10
City of God - 10/10
Inglourious Basterds - 7/10
The Shawshank Redemption - 9/10
The Dark Knight - 8/10
Fight Club - 9/10
Se7en - 9/10
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 AM
Pulp Fiction: A+
Donnie Darko: A+
Reservoir Dogs: A
Memento: A+
Inglourious Basterds: A
The Shawshank Redemption: A
The Dark Knight: A+
Fight Club: B
Se7en: A
Old 02-22-2013, 10:06 AM
1. Pulp Fiction 10
2. The Shawshank Redemption 10
3. Reservoir Dogs 7
4. City of God 7
5. Donnie Darko 6
6. The Dark Knight 5
7. Memento 4
8. Inglourious Basterds 3
9. Se7en 3
10. Fight Club 2
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Pulp Fiction-10/10, infinitely re-watchable, infinitely quotable, one of two films I know of to truly capture the mood and essence of the current generation (the other is a little bit further down on your list).
Donnie Darko-5/10, to be honest I have never finished this, puts me to sleep every time.
Reservoir Dogs-9/10, infinitely re-watchable, infinitely quotable, top 5 gangster flick of all time IMO.
Memento-9/10, what a mind fuck! Sure it's not good the second time around, but that first trip, WOW!
City of God-6/10, overrated, I thought the time in the village, focusing on the peoples lives there was much more interesting than when the kid left for the city and joined the gang. IMO, Menace II Society dealt with this subject in a much better way.
Inglourious Basterds-7/10, is ok, Aldo Raine is entertaining for awhile but when he and his gang aren't scalping Nazi's, it seriously loses steam IMO.
The Shawshank Redemption-most overrated ever IMO, when I think of sentimental Hollywood tripe, this is the first flick that comes to mind. Andy gets completely fucked over more times than one can count (both literally and figuratively) yet remains a swell guy. Then the way it is neatly wrapped up and he "wins" in the end. Bleh, make me puke in my mouth. I much prefer Sleepers for a more accurate and telling story about wrongful imprisonment, abuse in prison, and the effects of it all.
The Dark Knight-7/10, probably the best super hero movie ever.
Fight Club-9/10, infinitely re-watchable, infinitely quotable, another film that seemed to capture lightning in a bottle, the writer having his hand on the pulse of a generation.
Se7en-8/10, dark, edgy, compelling, and twisted are all words that describe Se7en. I also think Pitt and Freeman are exceptional here. Just a great thriller all the way around.

Now rate mine.

Goodfellas
Alien
The Silence of the Lambs
There Will Be Blood
Pulp Fiction
The Empire Strikes Back
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Network
Fight Club
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

It is hard to just pick 10 and the list changes all the time. It is very hard for me to leave the rest of Scorsese's catalogue, some of Pacino's early work, Heat, and Reservoir Dogs off the list. If I went with my gut it would be all gangster and cop flicks, lol. Plus I had to put at least ONE comedy in there.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Goodfellas - 10/10
Alien - 8/10
The Silence of the Lambs - 7/10
There Will Be Blood - 10/10
Pulp Fiction - 10/10
The Empire Strikes Back - 8/10
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - (I remember liking/not loving it but at the same time it has been too long for me to give an accurate score)
Network - 7/10
Fight Club - 10/10
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - N/A
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - (I remember liking/not loving it but at the same time it has been too long for me to give an accurate score)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High - N/A
You need to watch these both ASAP.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:35 PM
beefyboysupreme:

1. Pulp Fiction- 8
2. The Dark Knight- 8
3. Se7en- 8
4. Reservoir Dogs- 7
5. Memento- 7
6. The Shawshank Redemption- 7
7. City of God- 7
8. Inglourious Basterds- 6
9. Fight Club- 6
10. Donnie Darko- 3

rustysyringe:

1. Network- 9
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest- 9
3. The Silence of the Lambs- 9
4. There Will Be Blood- 9
5. Alien- 8
6. Goodfellas- 8
7. Pulp Fiction- 8
8. The Empire Strikes Back- 7
9. Fight Club- 6
10. Fast Times at Ridgemont High- 6

Last edited by Tkeyjw; 02-22-2013 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Well if it's gonna become this, we should just bump the old thread for it:

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56772
Old 02-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
Pulp Fiction-10/10, infinitely re-watchable, infinitely quotable, one of two films I know of to truly capture the mood and essence of the current generation (the other is a little bit further down on your list).
Donnie Darko-5/10, to be honest I have never finished this, puts me to sleep every time.
Reservoir Dogs-9/10, infinitely re-watchable, infinitely quotable, top 5 gangster flick of all time IMO.
Memento-9/10, what a mind fuck! Sure it's not good the second time around, but that first trip, WOW!
City of God-6/10, overrated, I thought the time in the village, focusing on the peoples lives there was much more interesting than when the kid left for the city and joined the gang. IMO, Menace II Society dealt with this subject in a much better way.
Inglourious Basterds-7/10, is ok, Aldo Raine is entertaining for awhile but when he and his gang aren't scalping Nazi's, it seriously loses steam IMO.
The Shawshank Redemption-most overrated ever IMO, when I think of sentimental Hollywood tripe, this is the first flick that comes to mind. Andy gets completely fucked over more times than one can count (both literally and figuratively) yet remains a swell guy. Then the way it is neatly wrapped up and he "wins" in the end. Bleh, make me puke in my mouth. I much prefer Sleepers for a more accurate and telling story about wrongful imprisonment, abuse in prison, and the effects of it all.
The Dark Knight-7/10, probably the best super hero movie ever.
Fight Club-9/10, infinitely re-watchable, infinitely quotable, another film that seemed to capture lightning in a bottle, the writer having his hand on the pulse of a generation.
Se7en-8/10, dark, edgy, compelling, and twisted are all words that describe Se7en. I also think Pitt and Freeman are exceptional here. Just a great thriller all the way around.

Now rate mine.

Goodfellas
Alien
The Silence of the Lambs
There Will Be Blood
Pulp Fiction
The Empire Strikes Back
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Network
Fight Club
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

It is hard to just pick 10 and the list changes all the time. It is very hard for me to leave the rest of Scorsese's catalogue, some of Pacino's early work, Heat, and Reservoir Dogs off the list. If I went with my gut it would be all gangster and cop flicks, lol. Plus I had to put at least ONE comedy in there.
I'm against sentimental films for the most part, but I think most everyone likes some films or at least one film that is sentimental. Shawshank is one of those films for me. And yes, I know that it says that Prison is "no fairy tale world", but it's more of a buddy film than anything. I thought Clancy Brown added enough brutality to make it work. Some of the older people I know get upset when he beats fatass down.

Really, I think bringing that criticism to this film is mostly people looking to be edgy.

Last edited by rocknblues81; 02-22-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
Really, I think bringing that criticism to this film is mostly people looking to be edgy.
Nope, it's just me, I don't like most sentimental crap. I am in the minority, I know.

I do however get teary eyed when the sentimental crap involves kids or country. For example, I love The Patriot and most people think it's just a bit above average. The whole thing with his daughter not talking to him until she does, the over the top heavy handed patriotism, I eat that shit up. I even get a bit misty when Optimus Prime goes all Patton/Mcarthur with his inspirational speeches in Transformers. But stuff like Shawshank and Green Mile, can't watch it.

Different strokes I guess.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysyringe View Post
Nope, it's just me, I don't like most sentimental crap. I am in the minority, I know.

I do however get teary eyed when the sentimental crap involves kids or country. For example, I love The Patriot and most people think it's just a bit above average. The whole thing with his daughter not talking to him until she does, the over the top heavy handed patriotism, I eat that shit up. I even get a bit misty when Optimus Prime goes all Patton/Mcarthur with his inspirational speeches in Transformers. But stuff like Shawshank and Green Mile, can't watch it.

Different strokes I guess.
I hate patriotism. The national anthem makes me want to vomit.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 AM
rustysyringe:

Goodfellas - 4 stars
Alien - 2.5 stars
The Silence of the Lambs - 4 stars
There Will Be Blood - 3.5 stars
Pulp Fiction - 4 stars
The Empire Strikes Back - 3 stars
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 3.5 stars
Network - N/A
Fight Club - 4 stars
Fast Times at Ridgemont High -N/A