Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM
"Key" films you haven't seen (could be embarrassed)

My mate claims to be a major movie buff, but the the "key" films he hasn't seen include the Godfather trilogy, Scarface and Goodfellas.

I therefore have refused to acknowledge him as a film buff because he hasn't seen these really important films, but it got me thinknig about some probably major big imporant or "key" films I've yet to see.

1. The Rocky Horror Picture show
2. Gone with the Wind
3. 400 Blows
4. Jean de Florette
5. The Good, the bad and the Ugly
6. Seven Samurai or the Magnificient Seven for that matter
7. It's a Wonferful Life
8. Sunset Boulevard
9. Spirited Away
10. Anything with Charlie Chaplin in

I mean I should really see these films at somepoint. Come on guys what are you really embarrased at not having seen?!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Citizen Kane
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
Citizen Kane
I made a point of sitting down to watch that and I was bored beyond tears. Maybe it was because I knew what/who Rosebud was?!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabriel1980 View Post
I made a point of sitting down to watch that and I was bored beyond tears. Maybe it was because I knew what/who Rosebud was?!
Citizen Kane is deemed a classic not because of Rosebud, but because of its many cinematic conventions that paved the way for many other filmmakers to utilize. Deep focus, camera movement / technique, staging. It was inventive for its time. If you can't finish it, at least watch it with Ebert's commentary.
----------------------

Seven Samurai - I always hold this off because of its length.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM
1. The Godfather Part II (I bought the Blu-ray Complete Coppola)
2. The Good, Bad, and the Ugly
3. The French Connection
Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Out 1
Werckmeister Harmonies
Satantango
Berlin Alexanderplatz
Spirit of The Beehive
Floating Weeds (1959)
Underground
The Red and The White
A City of Sadness
Songs from The Second Floor
Louisiana Story
Eureka
The works of Apichatpong Weerasethakul
The works of Jia Zhangke

Movies more widely considered "key":
The Sound of Music
An American in Paris
Mary Poppins
On the Town
The Music Man
The King and I
Fiddler on The Roof
All That Jazz
Julia
Cleopatra
The Bitter Teas of General Yen
Love and Death

Movies I'd consider "key":
Milestones
Route One, USA
The Battle of Chile
La Commune (Paris, 1871)
Street Scenes
Still Life ('74)
A Thousand-Year-Old Bee
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
Scenes from The Class Struggle in Portugal
Invasion (1969)
The Round-Up
The Quince Tree Sun
Belfast, Maine
State Legislature

For the first group, it's mostly that I've built them up in my head so much that I have to watch them under the perfect conditions which is hard to do given my work schedule/living with others/the length of many of them. The second group I either don't have an interest in seeing (the musicals) or just have the usual reasons for not getting around to yet. The third group I can't find anywhere except, in some cases, terrible quality YouTube versions I've not yet resigned myself to settle for.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 02-22-2013 at 10:06 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Citizen Kane is deemed a classic not because of Rosebud, but because of its many cinematic conventions that paved the way for many other filmmakers to utilize. Deep focus, camera movement / technique, staging. It was inventive for its time. If you can't finish it, at least watch it with
I've had it on DVD for years, but its sat on the shelf still in its wrapper... I'll get around to watching it one day.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Many classics. Especially pre 80's, but even some 80's/90's/00's such as Amadeus, The Last Emperor, etc
Many documentaries
Many foreign language flicks.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:26 PM
So gabriel1980 do you consider yourself a movie buff then? At what point can someone say he's a movie buff? What criteria does a movie have to have to be included in the training of a movie buff?

I don't read many books and the only ones I did read have all been adapted to movies. My sister does read a lot. But I read a Shakespear story in school once and I've read Catcher in the Rye. Does that make me the better reader because at least I read some classics and she didn't?

I'll bet if your mate would take a movie quiz he'd still know who starred in The Godfather, Scarface and Goodfellas. I'll bet he knows what you can't refuse, what friend you have to say hello to but maybe doesn't know how funny Joe Pesci is.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
2. Gone with the Wind
Don't bother.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Dubbs View Post
Don't bother.
The first half of GWTW is suitably epic and well worth seeing. The second half is weaker but I'd say it's worth seeing on the whole, for historical value if nothing else.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:32 PM
Wow, if I were to sit down and make a list of all the Key films I haven't seen, I'd be here all day.

I say just watch what you're really interested in, what you really like. For example, I'm big on gangster/crime films - so I'll make it a point to always watch those.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Wow, if I were to sit down and make a list of all the Key films I haven't seen, I'd be here all day.

I say just watch what you're really interested in, what you really like. For example, I'm big on gangster/crime films - so I'll make it a point to always watch those.
Have you seen State of Grace? If you like gangster films, that's a must.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Have you seen State of Grace? If you like gangster films, that's a must.
I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 AM
You wont be considered as big film buff until you see all of IMDB top 250,AFI top 100,BFI top 100,top 100 films in world/foreign language cinema,top 500 worldwide highest grossers,atleast 1 film in filmography of totalfilm's 100 greatest directors