Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Spring Breakers

Directed by Harmony Korine

Written by Harmony Korine

Genre: Comedy/Crime/Drama

Plot Outline: Four college girls who land in jail after robbing a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation find themselves bailed out by a drug and arms dealer who wants them to do some dirty work.

Starring: James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine, Gucci Mane

Rated R for strong sexual content, language, nudity, drug use and violence throughout

Runtime: 94 minutes

Really looking forward to this. I know Katsumoto loved it at TIFF and the trailer was... interesting.

Last edited by Bourne101; 03-06-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM
James Franco in fucking Cornrows? I am there.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Selena Gomez looks like a firecracker! she's gotten into such good shape for this movie.. She looks so HOTT. Move over Disney channel, this girl is now a woman.. and she has arrived!
I can't wait for Getaway.. we get to see a whole new side to her and see what she can do in the action realm. Up against Voight and Hawke, she better deliver! After Spring breakers it's all about Getaway
Old 03-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Honestly I wasn't looking forward to this until the newest red band trailer. That honestly sold it for me and I am excited to see how this goes.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
I am going to fap so hard to this movie. Shut up, and take my money!
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I am going to fap so hard to this movie. Shut up, and take my money!
Haha same here dude.

I can' wait for this one. I love everything Korine has done and the combination of Selena Gomez & Vanessa Hudgens in skimpy outfits is just AWESOME.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Absolutely awesome. Loved every freaking second of it - I'll post more later but wow, so damn good

9/10
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 PM
I really appreciated Korine's filmmaking - the hypnotic visuals, the dreamy soundscape, the repetition, and his willingness to go for broke. I also thought Franco was just awesome and hilarious.

The film is a satirical evisceration of modern youth culture that can be very hard to take and pretty darn scary in its own way. I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. It maybe never quite goes deep or substantial enough to be something revelatory, but it is a crazy and, to use the word again, hypnotic experience. And it's not like much of anything else. The use of neon lighting and music is excellent. It's pop art trash that darkly and sickeningly poked fun at certain elements of pop culture.

Mass audiences are not going to know how to respond to this. It has no narrative, nothing traditional to grasp on to, and it goes to places that people unaware of Korine's previous work likely won't be expecting. The conversations in the lobby after this film will be fascinating.

Last edited by SpikeDurden; 03-16-2013 at 01:48 AM..
Old 07-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
I really appreciated Korine's filmmaking - the hypnotic visuals, the dreamy soundscape, the repetition, and his willingness to go for broke. I also thought Franco was just awesome and hilarious.

The film is a satirical evisceration of modern youth culture that can be very hard to take and pretty darn scary in its own way. I felt like I needed a shower afterwards. It maybe never quite goes deep or substantial enough to be something revelatory, but it is a crazy and, to use the word again, hypnotic experience. And it's not like much of anything else. The use of neon lighting and music is excellent. It's pop art trash that darkly and sickeningly poked fun at certain elements of pop culture.

Mass audiences are not going to know how to respond to this. It has no narrative, nothing traditional to grasp on to, and it goes to places that people unaware of Korine's previous work likely won't be expecting. The conversations in the lobby after this film will be fascinating.
Bingo. I couldn't have said it better myself.

The only thing I would emphasize is that the score really is quite great. It's right there with The Place Beyond the Pines for best score of the year so far.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Review - Spring Breakers

Imagine the MTV Spring Break phenomenon of the late 90’s and early 2000’s mixed with a whole lot of drugs, guns and neon colors amplified by a million. Suggestive and sexy from the moment you sit down, Spring Breakers is wilder then you can imagine with a fresh and invigorating plot that is certainly the first great and memorable film of 2013.

Coming from the mind of Harmony Korine; the films follows four college girls Faith (Selena Gomez), Brit (Ashley Benson), Candy (Vanessa Hudgens) and Cotty (Rachel Korine) as they look to escape their “mundane” college dorms to the sunshine of Florida and spring break fun. Short on funds but not on psychotic ideas, they decide to take matters into their own hands. Donning ski masks, matching sweaters and painted squirt guns they knock over a diner for all its cash and haul *** to debauchery in the sunshine state.

Perhaps Spring Breakers is the most expensive Girls Gone Wild video of all time; but tell me this would you see a tatted up, cornrows wearing James Franco belting out Britney Spears’ “Everytime” during a sunset in one of those videos? No! Just another reason to watch this film and that’s not the only Britney song sung in the film!

With money in hand, colorful bikini’s in tow and a craving for some thrills; the girls wind up smack dab in the middle of spring break where there is nothing but sand, alcohol, tans, drugs and lots of frolicking. After being busted for doing drugs in a hotel room they are bailed out by a local rapper and drug dealer named Alien. Tattoos covering his body, grills in his mouth and a smile from ear to ear, this gangster no questions asked gets the girls out of a bind because he thinks they are special.

Much is being made about the “Disney girls” (Hudgens and Gomez) shedding their Mickey ears for a film like this but honestly it’s going to do them good in the long run. Gomez plays the religious, prayer group going Faith who decides to leave the good girl attitude at home and look for some fun with her three miscreant friends. I wouldn’t say Gomez’s acting stood out above the others in the quartet but her character certainly had the most layers. Faith walks a tight rope of wanting to shed her constraints but being scared of the consequences at the same time. And once Alien comes into the picture she’s had enough and bails leaving Candy, Brit and Cotty to fend for themselves. Unlike Faith though, they are living it up, enjoying the money, drugs, guns and fun that come with the territory. Hudgens and Benson play the reckless, bad-***** of the group, taking a massive liking to Alien and even going with him to rob hopeless fellow spring breakers for their drugs and money. The directors wife Rachel Korine also is part of the foursome as a wild party animal who is much more extreme then Faith but follows a similar path.

As a whole the group is excellent, displaying a care-free, true spring break mentality with the addition of automatic weapons and pink ski masks.

Credit must be given where it is due. James Franco as Alien was off the charts. Regardless off how ridiculous he looks or how he is a carbon copy of the “rapper” Riff Raff, he pulls off the role with flying colors. From bathing Hudgens and Benson in hundred dollar bills to toting assault rifles and platinum teeth; Franco’s Alien will certainly be one of the most memorable characters of 2013 and it quite possibly is his best role ever. Alien comes off as otherworldly to these girls but his brash confidence along with the hilarious accent and countless jokes make him the overall highlight of the film.

Obviously the stars of the film are on the screen but Harmony Korine is really front and center of Spring Breakers. Not only did he pen a fantastic, believable, appropriate screenplay but he presented the film in a grandiose fashion that fit the bill of a wild and crazy spring break adventure. Korine shot for the moon here with extravagant party scenes, gratuitous gyrating bouncing nudity and a no holds bared approach to girls owning the spotlight. All to the sounds of Cliff Martinez (Drive) and the ever-popular Skrillex’s base bumping rhythms fit for a massive beach blowout.

Taking chances with over the top colors, sequences and repetition of lines; Korine thought outside of the box and it paid off.

With spring break turning into an extended violent vacation in Florida, the business side of Alien’s operation (drugs) comes to a forefront as he goes head-to-head with childhood friend Archie played by rapper Gucci Mane. Archie claims he owns the streets and as the two flash pistols in strip clubs it’s clear the staycation may get a bit messy.

Spring Breakers truly is a testament to how far you’ll go to escape reality and to what lengths you would go to keep the good times rolling.

While you may be able to poke holes in a plot of four girls robbing a diner to fund their Spring Break excursion you certainly can’t deny how insanely entertaining the journey is. In a film culture where guys rule, especially in this type of a plot in the past; it's refreshing to see a story where the girls are wielding the guns and taking charge. Korine is able to portray all this without a sexist undertone yet it never becomes an agenda.

At the end of the day Spring Breakers delivered a ton of laughs, a nonstop party and a great performance from Franco. Accompanied by exceptional out of the box work by Hudgens, Gomez, Korine and Benson, you’ll walk out of the theater with “spring break forevah” reverberating in your head just the way Alien said it. When the film was over I was ready to watch it again and have no doubt this will become a cult classic. I know it’s early but this is the type of film that sticks with you and I’ll be surprised if one can top it in 2013 in the fun department.

Rating: A
Old 03-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Spring Breakers is part cautionary tale of the evils of spring break and part hazy,neon,
fantasy of reckless abandon.
The quartet of ladies Selena Gomez as Faith,Vanessa Hudgens as Candy Ashley Benson as Brit and
Rachel Korine as Cotty do a fine job in the film as girls,longing for a change of scenery,more from
life and to party by any means neccessary. Hudgens and Gomez do their best to shed their Disney
good girl images,but it's James Franco as the rapper/drug dealer/thief Alien who steals the show.
He is a cross between Robert Deniro's Max Cady in Cape Fear and Gary Oldman's Drexl Spivey in
True Romance,and Franco embraces and loses himself in the the role.

When the ladies slip into the radar and glare of his gold and silver teeth,the fact that i was never really
sure of his intentions for them and the way Director Harmony Korine cleverly jumps back and forth
with brief shots of whats to come created a good deal of suspense.Korine does his best to make the audience feel
a part of the action of spring break and the characters experience with close up and voyeur shots.
The elation the ladies hold on to from an early feat in the film made them unpredictable,especially when guns
are drawn or played with.

There is no real narrative to SB,the script is repetitive and then some and my screening audience
was audibly turned off by its repetitive flow.
In the end SB is definitely not a great movie but its like a wild night you place in the back of your mind
and when you recall it brings a smile to your face.

Scale of 1-10 a 7
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Harmony Korine has never been one for conventional film making (or story telling in general for that matter) and Spring Breakers definitely doesn't make any point during it's 90 minute run time to change that. I have been a huge fan of Korine's for many many years and have no problem claiming the side of the fence that tends to defend him from detractors on his more adventurous experiments (i.e Trash Humpers, Julien Donkey Boy) Honestly I have pretty hefty words of praise for all of his work, be it film, poetry, fictional writing, art, or any other creative avenues he has gotten himself involved with. That being said, you would have to be foolish to believe that his work is for everyone. Hell, it's probably not really for most people. Those that are a fan and familiar with Harmony and his style prior to watching this film should know that although it has garnered more mainstream attention than any of his other work, along with being by far his most technically polished piece- it is possibly his most biting, ballsy, "out there", and intentionally divisive work as well. Those going in uninitiated or looking for cheap titillation/exploitation or the next Project X will more than likely leave the theater confused, angry, or both.

That's not to say that Spring Breakers isn't edgy, titillating, or intense- it most certainly is. The beauty for those familiar with Korine is that he finds a way to simultaneously bring on arousal AND shame on the audience. Korine and his brilliant cast dare you not to laugh at the absurdity of it all or stare at the hot young bodies, then encourage you to do just that, before they subtly reveal the meat of their metaphorical messages and images until those who are invested enough to notice are left feeling guilt.. as if watching these characters lead completely immoral, selfish, and dangerously ignorant lives for an hour and a half somehow makes you complacent with all of the debauchery. It is something Korine has dabbled with well enough before but totally nails here, IMO. Also, as I mentioned in the first paragraph- this is easily Harmony's most polished film and the visuals are truly hypnotic (to quote EVERY fucking good review this film has gotten haha) and the visual mix of sexy shine and the gutter-esque Florida "gangster" lifestyle is done to perfection here.

It's strange, I walked out of the movie last night feeling happy that Korine and his cast had knocked it out of the park but also disturbed at the realization that although I "get it" when it comes to Harmony's ironic pop culture satire and generational statements, it would be completely feasible for an impressionable teen or younger adult to miss the point completely and enjoy the movie just as much as I did....albeit in a scary, ignorant, self obsessed, "Fuck it, let's party til' the world ends." kind of way.

That's what you get with Harmony Korine though- no matter how much you think you are on the same page as him, he is always one step ahead, pointing the finger at you again, challenging what you just thought you had figured out.

This one is a no brainer for me-
9/10

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 03-23-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Damn this sounds good. And I thought it was goign to be a disney movie hahahah.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Without a doubt, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The only good thing about the movie was Franco's performance, everything else about it was ridiculous. The only people I could see enjoying this are 14 year old boys who like boobs.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jz68 View Post
Without a doubt, one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The only good thing about the movie was Franco's performance, everything else about it was ridiculous. The only people I could see enjoying this are 14 year old boys who like boobs.

Just curious- were you into anything Harmony Korine did prior to this?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilynMONROBOT View Post
Just curious- were you into anything Harmony Korine did prior to this?
Wasn't familiar with the name.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
Comments like this are so ridiculous (and kind of insulting) when you have not only frequent posters here that I respect giving the film positive notices but also pros as diverse as Manohla Dargis, Roeper, Todd Gilchrist, Glenn Kenny, etc. etc. As I said above it's a film that is certainly not for everyone, but it's clearly proven to be enjoyed by far more than just 14 year old boys who like boobs.

Exactly. Its like saying Gummo could only be enjoyed by white trash cat killers. Korine IS NOT for everyone. Period. Its ok to not dig it, many people wont. To discredit it so vehemently though without acknowledging the obviously intended satire and irony behind it all and with no prior knowledge of the filmmaker is sort of ignorant. No offense intended to the original poster of course but I expect more from the schmoes than that.

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 03-29-2013 at 02:04 AM..
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
I'll definitely be checking this out one day when its at Red Box.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:10 AM
I enjoyed it. I kind of thought it had a Funny Games approach to it, anyone else see where I'm coming from?

8/10
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm pumped for this. This was one of the highlights of TIFF for some of my friends. Also, I just saw this short a few days ago (first time I've ever seen anything Korine made) which I thought was awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVNjMF1Suo

Gonna try to see it Tuesday I think.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPhoenix View Post
I'm pumped for this. This was one of the highlights of TIFF for some of my friends. Also, I just saw this short a few days ago (first time I've ever seen anything Korine made) which I thought was awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVNjMF1Suo

Gonna try to see it Tuesday I think.
Isn't that short fucking great?! Also, if you havent seen anything else he has done I would highly suggest checking out Gummo or even Mister Lonely...would definitely give you a good idea of how he approaches his cinematic endeavors.

Conversely, after you see Spring Breakers-if you enjoy it, check out Trash Humpers for a look at what he does with total control and a full length run time of not giving a single fuck. Its not a good "movie" but its a hell of an experiment in self indulgent nuttiness.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 PM

damn it I missed my chance to see this

I was supposed to see this yesterday but I got called into the office and had to work for awhile and now I find out that its no longer playing in my area.

FML

I so wanted to see Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in bikinis
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM
If that is your sole reason that you want to see it, you will likely hate it.

Brilliant movie though. Sure to be on my year end top 10.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan02000 View Post
If that is your sole reason that you want to see it, you will likely hate it.

Brilliant movie though. Sure to be on my year end top 10.
lol no thats not the sole reason I want to see it. I want to see it for a lot of reasons (I love everything Korine has directed & wanting to see Franco's performance etc etc)

Just sucks I wont be able to see it in theaters now
Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 AM

Excellent news for me. I just saw that two theaters in my area are still playing Spring Breakers! I'll definitely be checking it out this weekend for sure.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Excellent news for me. I just saw that two theaters in my area are still playing Spring Breakers! I'll definitely be checking it out this weekend for sure.
Awesome news man! Cant wait to hear your thoughts!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Just got back from seeing it. Overall I dug it. It kind of dragged in certain parts but Franco EASILY steals the show as Alien. He was really good as that character.

And Selena Gomez was surprisingly good as the good girl gone bad. Wish we could seen her bewbs though.

I'll give it a modest 7/10

Oh and the only complaint I have is
Spoiler:
Alien's death. It kinda pissed me off how Franco's character died. It happened too quickly. I really wanted him to be the one that kills Guccie Mane. Oh well
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Just got back from seeing it. Overall I dug it. It kind of dragged in certain parts but Franco EASILY steals the show as Alien. He was really good as that character.

And Selena Gomez was surprisingly good as the good girl gone bad. Wish we could seen her bewbs though.

I'll give it a modest 7/10

Oh and the only complaint I have is
Spoiler:
Alien's death. It kinda pissed me off how Franco's character died. It happened too quickly. I really wanted him to be the one that kills Guccie Mane. Oh well
Glad you at least dug it enough for a 7/10 man. Although I have to be honest-outside of the (IMO at least) amazing 'Britney Spears Montage'...

Spoiler:
I LOVED how quickly Alien was killed, because for all of the gold chains, drugs, money, girls, and overt machismo he cared so much for making sure everyone noticed-He was nothing more than an a regular, ultimately lonely guy (as evident by his constant need to show off and revealed through the piano playing/"singing" in the above mentioned montage) He probably at one point got caught up in the "spring breaker" life style, unable to leave it behind for fear of all the fun ending. While he often got lucky in the crimes he commited, he was in way over his head with Gucci Mane and at one point the camera even focused on the clear look of fear in his face while speaking with Gucci on the phone (or maybe the club.) His sudden death and immediate removal from the remainder of the film showed the reality of what can happen in that lifestyle when you finally cross the wrong people... I need to see it again but thats what I took away at first viewing at least and obviously thats just my two cents. Then again, Korine may have simply just wanted to piss off people as although im a huge fan of his work, he tends to be rather mastubatory about things of that nature.

Last edited by marilynMONROBOT; 04-08-2013 at 04:13 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 PM
I would give it a 6/10

Loved the style and direction, and the acting. franco was great, his "look at my shit" scene was great. It dragged on for a lot longer than I think it should have, and repeated itself over and over again. The half whisper-like "spring break.... spring breakkkkk... spring break forever bitches" really just got annoying by the third time, and it happened more after that as well. The way the final scene played out completely ruined it for me, I found it to be just stupid.