Old 05-23-2001, 01:49 PM
Best DVD Commentaries

I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally love listening to the comentaries.

My favorite ones are John Waters Pecker and Cecil B Demented... that guy just cracks me up everytime.

Other goodies:
Clerks (haven't seen it on DVD but on the Independent Film Channel)
Fight Club
Old 05-23-2001, 04:05 PM
Here's a few I enjoyed

For filmmakers (good technical stuff):
Election
Ronin
Pi
Rushmore (Criterion)
Brazil (Criterion)
12 Monkeys
El Mariachi/Desperado
Hard Eight
Tao of Steve
Boogie Nights

Just for the fun of it:
The Thing
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness (director's cut)

Old 05-23-2001, 04:07 PM
Evil Dead II
and all the commentaries on Fight CLub
Old 05-23-2001, 05:10 PM
funny:
mallrats
chasing amy
final destination
life of brian:criterion

informative:
the mummy
Old 05-24-2001, 12:29 PM
fight club
Old 05-24-2001, 06:34 PM
Se7en
Magnolia
Fight Club
Bring It On - thats just funny [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Edward Scissorhands
Old 05-24-2001, 06:39 PM
The new version of Superman that just came out has got a fantastic commentary from its director and creative consultant, two old guys who absolutely loved working on their movie. While most most people (involved in making the movies) view commentaries as a "chore" which they'd rather not be doing, Donner and Mankiewicz were two real class acts. Check it out.
Old 05-24-2001, 06:49 PM
The fight Club one is good but some of the funniest I have heard are:

This Is Spinal Tap
Bride Of Chucky
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

One i really hate is Mystery Men because the whole thing is brown-nose job on Kinka Usher's part.

I also liked Out Of Sight and Bound (which had the lesbian assistant amongst the number)
Old 05-25-2001, 01:54 AM
Anything with Mel Brooks as the director is a pretty good bet to pick up. He usually goes off on the tangents and it's pretty funny, or he'll sit there and watch the movie, and then say oh yeah I was just amazed at what I did back there. It's pretty funny. Also anything with Fincher is pretty good too, goes into detail about why certain scenes were set up they way they were.

Doc's DVD-aid
Old 05-25-2001, 09:13 PM
the great DVD commentaries

Mallrats (funny to hear the cast ripping on themselves)

Clerks (again kevin smith and crew having fun)
but without a doubt the funniest commentary track is for one of my fave underground "independant" movies

Cannibal: the musical (Trey Parker and crew getting drunk and pontificating about their college film and current success with their friends-EXTREMELY FUNNY and the movie is great too)
Old 05-26-2001, 10:50 AM
One of my favorite dvd commentaries is Conan The Barbarian. It has director John Milius and Arnold on it. Schwarzeneggar is really funny on the track and most of the time it is unintentional. It is worth the price of the disc alone. I also like the Silence OF the Lambs commentary track which is only available on the OOP Critertion DVD. It won't appear on the new version being released so I am glad I picked it up. Anthony Hopkins is great on the track.
Old 05-26-2001, 04:13 PM
Se7en (informative and also amusing)

American Beauty (Informative)
Old 05-27-2001, 11:48 PM
All the Kevin Smith DVD's.

And all the Evil Dead DVD's.
Old 06-02-2001, 09:22 PM
stigmata has a great commentary by the director that covers all corners.

AND All KEVIN SMITH movies, undoughtably, the SE DOGMAs 3 diffrent commentary tracks will be brilliant as well
Old 06-08-2001, 09:45 PM
Thelma and Louise
Ridley's Scott best commentary
Old 06-15-2001, 11:32 AM
Fight Club has 2 very good commentaries.

1. is brad pitt, edward norton, david fincher, and helena bonham carter
2. david fincher by himself, he talks a lot about the process of the film being made and taught me a lot about it.

Requiem For A Dream also has 2 very good commentaries

1.Darren Aronofsky talks about the novel and how he came about the film and the characters and the film itself, its defintly worth a listen
2.The Director Of Photography gives a very very technical commentary and anybody who wants to work with cameras needs to listen to this.

Good Will Hunting's commentary featuring Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, & Gus Van Sant is entertaining and inspiring and thoughtful.

The worst commentary belongs to the Matrix, the horror, the horror.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:08 PM
I heard the Robert De Niro does a terrible job on Analyze this
Old 06-18-2001, 11:01 PM
"Pee-wee's Big Adventure" has 2 great commentaries. One with Tim Burton and Paul Reubens, and a music only one with Danny Elfman (he talks between music breaks).
Old 06-18-2001, 11:56 PM
my favorite commentary track are:

SPinal Tap - its so funny, its like watching a completely different movie.

Usual Suspects- informative and entertaining. Singer and McQuarrie point out several mistakes that they made during the film, its rather amusing.

Bravheart- Mel Gibson gives good insight into the making of the film.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:37 PM
I love the boogies nights and fight club comentaries, Spinal tap is cool too. All the kevin smith ones are nice too
Old 06-23-2001, 01:40 PM
A great commentary track is "Disney's The Kid" it has director Jon Turtletaub talking and Spencer breslin(who plays the young kid). They are always joking around about crazy stories on set and working with cast members. The director tells how they did some scenes. A real treat on the commentary is the end credits where they joke around about people on the list like grips and sound editors. Another great commentary is Robert Altman on "Cookie's Foetune". He does not talk much but when he does it is witty and funny. These are my two favs. Gladiator is a good commentary except for the fact to many people are recording at once. you loose track of who the people are.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:36 AM
the Fight Club commentaries are great, especially with Jim Uhls (screenwriter) and Chuck Palahniuk (novel writer). Very good. Also the commentary on Big Trouble in Little China is cool. It's obvious Kurt Russell and John Carpenter like each other and it's pretty interesting.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:54 PM
The Kevin Smith DVD's, Cannibal! The Musical and Dude, Where's My Car?
Aiplane! has a pretty good commentary too.
Old 07-04-2001, 07:57 PM
"American Beauty" was informative, but Alan Ball didn't say but 2 words, it was just Sam Mendes. "Miss Congeniality" wasn't bad, with Sandra Bullock and the screenwriter, it was kind of funny, she made fun of herself, though i think the film is just an average 7/10. "The Mummy" was pretty good. McG on "Charlie's Angels" was good and...I can't think of anymore.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:52 AM
The Omen - Richard Donner and the producer (can't recall his name right now) are brilliant, funnay and informative (I'm going to buy the Superman DVD on the strength of Donner's commentary alone!)

Spinal Tap - It's like watching a whole other movie, and brilliantly funny.

Seven - the commentary about the script/story is informative

Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Tobe Hooper, Gunnar Hansen and another guy provide a very entertaining commentary that told me some things I didn't know about the movie (and I thought I knew most of it!)
Old 07-11-2001, 05:16 AM
I'd have to go with Fight Club & The Usual Suspects
Old 07-17-2001, 08:49 AM
I'm assuming this has been released in the US, cause I live in Scotland, but the commentary track on The Naked Gun is hilarious. Every time OJ Simpson is shown you know they're going to say something, and their thoughts on the movie stay consistently interesting and funny throughout, with practically no silence at any time.
Old 07-18-2001, 02:29 AM
I found the best commentaries on

Spinal Tap (Hilarious!)
Evil Dead II (Kind of like Mystery Science 3000)
Army of Darkness
All Kevin Smith films
Se7en
Old 07-18-2001, 09:49 AM
Final Destination has a funny one...
Old 07-18-2001, 12:33 PM
Evil Dead II
Chasing Amy
The cast one on Dogma
Dude, Where's My Car?
Go
Old 07-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Ok I am not just saying this because I am obsessed with the television series lol, The X Files commentary was very good. Chris Carter and Rob Bowman do an excellent job on explaining everything in the film, why they did this, how they did that, it was actually very interesting [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] The Matrix commentary was also nice to watch, I didnt get bored and it seems they had fun with it [img]/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 AM
it's been 10 years, let's bump this up and get some fresh lists going. I'm interested.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Not to say it would be the best but it's interesting...I revisited the critic commentaries for all three matrix films from the matrix box set. Not only do they go ahead and just rip the films (specifically reloaded and revolutions) apart, but more to the point, their arguments are pretty valid and they back it up with other movies in similar genres which have done it better. Sometimes there is a gap of no commenting for a little while, but it doesn't derail from listening to what they have to say.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
They may not be movie commentaries but Eddie Izzard does commentary for some of his comedy specials and they're great.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Haven't listened to many but I remember the Tropic Thunder one being pretty good. Kirk Lazarus calling Steve Coogan a pussy the moment he pops up on screen was my personal highlight.