Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2003, 09:57 PM
OFFICIAL (if Sev says so) NHL OFFSEASON THREAD!!

Alright, I took Sev's invitation and decided to start up my own NHL offseason thread, where we discuss where our favorite, least favorite, and indifferent-towards players are going during the offseason.

Hope it's not too soon after the NHL Playoffs thread, but I love to talk hockey!

I'll get the ball rolling here, talking about a team I haven't gotten to talk about since the first round:

Greg DeVries probably will not resign with Colorado, according to the Denver Post, so what team needs a defenseman as solid as DeVries, but with the ability to have offensive spurts? I mean, where could Devo forseeably be the number one defenseman?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:00 PM

It's official.

There is talk of John LeClair heading to the Big Apple. If this happens I'm 100% he'll turn into another Holik, Lindros and all the other stars that "lost their touch" after arriving in Gotham. He's waved his no-trade clause but he's requested Clarke talk to only 4 teams: New York, Detroit, Los Angeles and Dallas.

If he becomes a Ranger...he's doomed!

Last edited by Indiana Sev; 06-11-2003 at 10:06 PM..
Old 06-12-2003, 03:19 AM
Last night in an interview Teemu Selšnne said he'd seriously consider moving back to Anaheim as a free agent, but wouldn't say anything yet on if it's his first choice. He did say it'd sound good to him, since he's lived in California with his family for years already, and enjoyed it, so...It's possible.

Also, Sami Kapanen signed with Philadelphia for two more years after playing a ridiculously bad season for his standards...Hopefully he'll get back to his normal level next year. If LeClair leaves, they'll really need him.

Damn Rangers. They're such a joke now, I'm almost embarassed to confess I was once a big fan, and now consider it to be my second favorite
Old 06-12-2003, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by arto_j
Also, Sami Kapanen signed with Philadelphia for two more years after playing a ridiculously bad season for his standards...Hopefully he'll get back to his normal level next year. If LeClair leaves, they'll really need him.
Philly is going to have to pick up some major talent during this off-season, otherwise they will miss the playoffs by a mile, Hitchcock or not!!
Old 06-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Woohoo! Stuff about hockey. I was having trouble sleeping already. Anybody know where I can find a list of free agents? I know there aren't too many big names this summer.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by SlimX
Woohoo! Stuff about hockey. I was having trouble sleeping already. Anybody know where I can find a list of free agents? I know there aren't too many big names this summer.
I'd just search www.nhl.com a bit, you'll get all the scoops.

Apparently the Blues resigned Osgood for 1 year today, good decision IMO, they need a goalie.

I agree with Sev about LeClair, if he goes to NY, he's in trouble. What New York Rangers means to me is: Like money more than the game. It's depressing how much talent they have.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by arto_j
Last night in an interview Teemu Selšnne said he'd seriously consider moving back to Anaheim as a free agent, but wouldn't say anything yet on if it's his first choice. He did say it'd sound good to him, since he's lived in California with his family for years already, and enjoyed it, so...It's possible.
That would be a GREAT pickup. All the Ducks needed this year was a solid scorer, and Jersey would have gone down.

Fuck, I hope this is true.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Does anyone think the whole Lindros and Jagr trade will go down?? Errrr, I don't think it will.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Lindros for Jagr. I wouldn't go for it if I ran the Caps. Jagr playing at less than 100% is better than most of the players in the league. Certainly better than Lindros. I don't see the trade being made, but stranger things have happened.
Old 06-15-2003, 10:04 PM
I think Hatcher will sign with The Rangers while the Leafs will make attempts for both DeVries and Ken Klee.

Kaberle and McCabe need all the help they can get now that Svehla is retired.

In Quinn I trust.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:03 AM
I heard the Leafs want to go after Joe Niewendyk as well so well see where that goes.

As for Detroit GM Ken Holland said it will be tough to resign all of Yzerman, Fedorov, and McCarty and keep the payroll around $65 million which means 1 or 2 of these three will not be back.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13
I heard the Leafs want to go after Joe Niewendyk as well so well see where that goes.
Joe's best days are behind him, the Leafs would be making a big mistake signing him....
Old 06-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Sev
Joe's best days are behind him, the Leafs would be making a big mistake signing him....
Yeah. I don't want that bum on the team. He's useless. We're the oldest team in the league, don't need to get any older. The Leafs should just pursue a good defenseman.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by SlimX
Yeah. I don't want that bum on the team. He's useless. We're the oldest team in the league, don't need to get any older. The Leafs should just pursue a good defenseman.
Ahem...De Vries.

I don't know why I'm recommending him to you, ideally he'd resign with us, we have got 8.5 mil to throw around.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
Ahem...De Vries.
Well, if you say so. How much is he gonna cost us?
Old 06-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Just have to vent here...

How bad an offseason are the Bruins going to have?

No coach...

Stock, Samsonov, Axelson, Rolston...all restricted free agents.

The looming CBA "issues"

Thornton only tied up for one more season...

No goaltender worth his weight in pucks...

This from a team who finished number one in the east two seasons ago and have the best player in the game (when he isnt fighting cops)

Glad to see Dafoe triggered his option to stay in Hotlanta...for a mere 3 and a half mil...

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2003, 11:02 AM
In more Bruins news....

The club has told long time fan fave Don Sweeney that they will not be offering him a new contract. 15 years, over 1000 games, and right there with all the class and pride Ray Bourque had, Don Sweeney was a true Bruin in every way....he will be missed.

Also, it seems the B's can have Sean Burke for their first round pick in the draft (16th overall)

Also, Philly is looking at Jeff Hacket.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Florida is considering moving their pick and even though they won't come up and say it but there are some teams that will need a goalie. Philadelphia, Carolina, Nashville.

The leafs have the 57th pick well see what they do, but other than Florida I don't expect any movement at the draft.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
(when he isnt fighting cops)
Old 06-19-2003, 11:42 AM
The Leafs may have made a bright move as they are strongly considering buying out the remainder of Jyrki Lumme's contract which would be good because the Leafs could bring in some young guys like Pilar, or Coliacovo or get free agents like DeVries or Hatcher or Klee. They also didn't make a qualifying over to Jonas Hoglund.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Finally, taking out the trash. Good start to the off-season for the Leafs.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:21 PM
I just read on TSN.ca website that the Red Wings are not increasing their offer and Fedorov's agent reportly wants 11 to 12 million a year.

Where do you think he's going to get that kind of money in terms of affording him that leaves it to the Leafs and the Rangers and the Leafs aren't going to pay anybody more than Sundin making which is $9 million and the Rangers aren't going to(at least they said they are not) sign big ticket free agents.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Quote:
I just read on TSN.ca website that the Red Wings are not increasing their offer and Fedorov's agent reportly wants 11 to 12 million a year.

Where do you think he's going to get that kind of money in terms of affording him that leaves it to the Leafs and the Rangers and the Leafs aren't going to pay anybody more than Sundin making which is $9 million and the Rangers aren't going to(at least they said they are not) sign big ticket free agents.
Someone will pick him up. He's a world-class player, and even though he's not quite worth 11 millions, he'll get it from somebody. Maybe the Avs could pick him up if we let De Vries go....
Old 06-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Its looked like Feds wasnt going to sign in Detroit no matter what. WHat have they offered? 10 mill a year...and he has turned them down more than once? now they say he wants 11 or 12? why would 1 million make a difference to a guy who has played so long in one place?

I can see the Avs moving in. and who knows, maybe some "smaller" team will jump in and give it a shot...much like Carolina did a few years back.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:47 PM
So Im watching the draft...did I just hear that the Bruins traded Stumple back to the Kings for Bull Shite draft picks?

I am starting to get VERY pissed here.
Old 06-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Marc Andre Fleury(sp?) was picked 1st overall by the Pens.

Hopefully this talented young man will have a great NHL career.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Pittsburgh is a HORRIBLE team.

Carolina got the best player in the draft, in Staal.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Well that's it for the draft now we head to free agency look for very few long term contracts from what I heard at interviews from GMs none want to be stuck with long term deals. Those Jagr to New York talks won't die but unless the Capitals pay up almost all the contract there is no way he will move.

Plus Fedorov will be very lucky to get the same deal he had with any other team.

There are still rumors that the Leafs will be pursuing De Vries, Ken Klee, and Joe Nieuwendyk but well see where that goes.

Now on to another subject the man known as Captain video Roger Neilson died on Saturday battling cancer at the age of 69. I wasn't even born when he coached the Leafs in the late 70s, and it was a class act by Ottawa to let him coach the final 2 games of the 2001-02 season to coach 1000 games with 8 different teams.

ESPN Classic Canada is doing a tribute to Roger Neilson starting tonight at 6pm eastern don't know if they are showing it in the U.S.
6pm-6:30pm Roger Neilson tribute
6:30pm-8:30pm 1978 semifinal Toronto and NY Islanders game 7
8:30pm-11:00pm White towel game 1982 Conference Final - Vancouver @ Chicago, Game 2
11:00pm-1am White Towel Series Clincher: 1982 Confrence Final - Vancouver @ Chicago, Game 5
1 am - 3 am White Towels in Vancouver: 1982 Stanley Cup Final - NYI @ Vancouver, Game 3
3 am - 5 am Neilson's 1000th Game: Toronto @ Ottawa (April 13, 2002)
5 am - 5:30 am Once A Leaf: Roger Neilson (Part 1)
5:30 am - 6 am TSN Profile: Roger Neilson

At 6am it will repeat once again until 6pm with the Roger Neilson tribute.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Quote:
There are still rumors that the Leafs will be pursuing De Vries, Ken Klee, and Joe Nieuwendyk but well see where that goes.
The Leafs aren't going anywhere next post-season if they pursue dead wood like Joe Nieuwendyk.

And please, nobody give me that playoff experience speech, the Leafs have enough of that on their roster as it is.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:54 AM
Word is Hasek is contemplating coming out of retirement (no big surprise really, every godamn player that retires nowadays, in any sport, comes back a few years later ).

Anyway, if he does return, who do you think/hope he ends up playing for? I see him in Philly, they haven't had a decent/consistent goalie in years...

Here is the story and the link...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=45345

Red Wings GM confirms Hasek talks

TSN.ca Staff

6/24/2003

Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland has confirmed that retired goaltender Dominik Hasek is considering a comeback.

On Monday, Hasek's agent told TSN that the superstar goaltender had contacted the Red Wings "several times over the past couple of weeks about the possibility of him coming back."

At first, Detroit management would not comment on Winter's claims but, on Tuesday, Holland admitted that it was true - Hasek was considering a return to the National Hockey League.

Related Info
Hasek contemplating NHL comeback

``Dominic is deciding exactly which direction he wants to go and hopefully I'll know very soon,'' Ken Holland told Detroit-area radio station WJR.

Sources told TSN that Hasek's return is a virtual certainty.

``If Dominic comes back it probably will be a sticky situation,'' Holland said. ''Obviously, a lot of teams right now are looking for goaltenders. At the same time, money is a real issue around the league.''

Detroit holds an option on Hasek for next season worth $8 million. If the Red Wings do not exercise the option, their former goaltender would become an unrestricted free agent, able to sign with any team - including a Red Wing rival like Colorado, which just lost goaltender Patrick Roy to retirement.

Detroit signed unrestricted free agent goalie Curtis Joseph last summer to a three-year, $24-million contract. The deal included a no-trade clause.

Last edited by Indiana Sev; 06-24-2003 at 10:03 AM..
Old 06-24-2003, 11:51 AM
Why can't players just retire and not come back? Especially Hasek who went out a winner.

Old 06-24-2003, 12:22 PM
I can think of 8-10 million reasons why the Dominator will be back
Old 06-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
I can think of 8-10 million reasons why the Dominator will be back
I'm such an idiot. I just realized now, that you mean money!

It's hot here today, brain not functioning well...
Old 06-24-2003, 03:43 PM
Well, if the Dominator comes back, Cujo will finally have the Cup he always wanted!

*cue the funny drum beat*

Thank you and goodnight!

Oh lordy, I'm too good.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Indiana Sev
I'm such an idiot. I just realized now, that you mean money!

It's hot here today, brain not functioning well...

Its alright Sev, you are up in Canada...so that really means 3-4 million reasons!

I will go run and hide now.....
Old 06-25-2003, 12:18 PM
The most likely scenario would be Hasek comes back and Joseph gets traded to Philadelphia because there is no way he will go to Colorado.

Hatcher appearently wants a 5 year deal worth 7.5-8 million a year and with a new CBA coming there is no way that is happening.

There will be a lot of defencemen on the free agent market the Devils declined to pick up the option on Richard Smelik's contract and it appears they will do the same with Oleg Tverdovksy.

Plus there is a report that Peter Fosberg will return for at least 1 more year and if there is a lockout Forsberg will be able to return to Sweden
Old 06-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Been pretty slow lately, as the only news is resignings:

Forsberg, Morris, Aubin, and Smith with Avalanche

Datsyuk with Red Wings

Andreychuck with Lightning.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:14 AM
we should see it heat up this week with free agency starting...heres wishing good luck to every damn team. I have a strange feeling this next season will be a wash.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:57 AM
The Flyers have signed Eric Desjardans to a 2 year $4 million contract with an option for a 3rd year at $3 million and they also signed Claude Lapointe to a 2 year contract for less than a million a year.

The Ducks declined to pick up the option on Adam Oates' contract. He played really well last year for the Ducks but they want him and Kariya to take pay cuts probably so they can get Teemu Selanne over to Anaheim
Old 07-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Bruins Re uped with PJ Stock for two years.

thought he was a goner....thank god.....