Old 07-20-2003, 06:28 PM
what is the big deal with "MAY"

Ok for months ive been listening to people on the site talking about how good MAY is, so i was really excited to finally get it out on video tonight.It started of ok and the characters were very interesting and it had the same sort of feel to it as ONE HOUR PHOTO, but an hour in it just turned sick.Now i dont have a problem with gratuitous violence, one of my favourite films is AMERICAN PSYCHO.But what i didnt like about this film was that it didnt have a point or a conclusion or any meaning and it wasnt a popcorn horror like HALLOWEEN OR FRIDAY 13TH were you could forgive it for not having these things.AMERICAN PSHYCO was sick and ONE HOUR PHOTO was unsettling but what made these great films, was the fact that they made you think and ponder after the film was over.When MAY finished i just turned to my girlfriend and said well that was a shit ending.
4/10
Old 07-20-2003, 06:33 PM
It's a great piece of horror film making. It's not a movie for everyone. But how can you say it has a shit ending? It had a great ending (imo).
Old 07-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Hmm, I thought about plenty after the film was over.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:48 PM
I don't know what the big deal is since all it does is basically retell Carrie with a little twist.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
So did I... I can sure tell you this movie DOES NOT deserve a 4/10 rating. It got a 10/10 from me.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:19 PM
read what i had to say about it in the "Horror Reviews" threads. I can't say enough good things about this movie!!
Old 07-20-2003, 09:35 PM
May was an excellent movie IMO and I still have it on my mind months after first seeing it.It really made me think about how society treats people who are different.May was a character that I could feel for even though I loathed the things she was doing.Angela Bettis was amazing and I thought the ending was heartbreaking and fit the movie perfectly.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Damned Blockbuster only had 2 copies, both DVD, and they weren't there....I really wanna see this.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:09 PM
I really liked May. I didn't think it was really "horror" <I know I know deaths and mutilations> but to me it was more drama. A very nicely told story.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:25 PM
** SPOILERS **
The ending was great? Ok let me look at it back she wants the corpse (her new friend) to see her so she stabs herself in the eye.And instead of passing out with shock her eye just falls out all by itself WOW and guess what she has still not fainted with shock and then it ends.
Well what a great ending, i mean what did all that acomplish.
Now i felt sorry for MAY in the first hour but she was disturbed and needed help and in the second half of the film i felt no sorrow for her cause she just basically flipped.
Im sorry but i just cant get excited about a film that doesnt have a point, and you are all going to reply and say it did have a point and the ending was great but i dont see you guys explaining yourself so tell me what was so great about this film.

Last edited by Fettdog; 07-22-2003 at 03:20 PM..
Old 07-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenScotland
Im sorry but i just cant get excited about a film that doesnt have a point, and you are all going to reply and say it did have a point and the ending was great but i dont see you guys explaining yourself so tell me what was so great about this film.
SPOILERS

Exactly. The movie did a great job of portaying May as a disturbed, misunderstand gal who i for one really felt for. But just because its a "horror" movie from the start, she has to revert to mass murder. I never felt she was capable of such a thing, and the whole "frankenstein" thing seemed illogical. By the end the whole SERIOUS tone seemed nothing but pretentious. It seemed as though the director had almost completed an intersting, quirky character study with horrific undertones, but gave in to a final lack of creativity and fan service by adding in the murder/human doll aspect.
6/10

P.S.- While there are differances between the two, the overall plot and characterizations of "MAY" are disturbingly similar to "OFFICE KILLER", which I thought accomplished its goal with the prententious seriousness of "MAY". Check it out...its pleasently surprising, and came out about four years before "MAY".
Old 07-22-2003, 05:04 AM
Well I just watched the movie tonite for the first time! I was really excited about it and when I was done watching it I had mixed feelings about it.
I kind of saw the movie as May's inner struggle to belong-at least the first half. Wanting to go on a date, have friends, contribute to society. It was a self esteem issue needing to grow. Unfortunatly, her limited friend (Susie) wasn't all there on teaching her [proper) skills. Which of course makes sense because Susie is a Doll!
So we can all safely assume, that May has severe, social and self esteem issues. The first part of the film to me dealt with overcoming them, and dealing with that.
Then we have the downfall, of a not much risin May.
Adam=the willing to please him, which freaked him out =bailed
Polly= the lover, for the moment, who wanted more than just May
I see it as she cherished these people..and err..certain parts of them she thought as beautiful. Something she wanted to keep. I too see the breaking of the Susie doll as her breakdown.
The ending to me, was May making it all come true. She wanted her new friend to look at her....SPOILERS****************

so she stabbed out her eye=i believe the bad eye that started much of this in the first place. She did die there with a smile on her face. In dying there, she had what she wanted as her (friend)? caressed her cheek.

At least this is some of my interpertation of the movie. It is now 5am here, and I should probably be sleeping. Maybe I will have more thoughts after another watch, or some sleep.
Well let me know if this makes sense to anybody else! Goodnite everyone
Old 07-22-2003, 08:36 AM
It doesn't surprise me that there are people who don't like it. It's hard for some people to read praise for a film for months before they get to see it and then ultimately end up being disappointed.

I don't even really see a point in trying to explain why I liked it, or what I thought the point was, because to me it was just a beautifully disturbing character study and that WAS the point. Nothing I say will make the dissenters enjoy the film any more.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:42 AM

Movie was great. Incredibly well achieved. Interesting characters like May. She was likable and repulsive at the same time...kinda weird, yet interesting. And it also has a surprising ending that will kick you in the ass. This film goes along the lines of films like One Hour Photo, because its about a lonely misunderstood person who takes extreme measures when others fuck him over one to many times...Though its defenetly not for everyone.

Kind of reminded me also of the comic book Jhonny the Homicidal Maniac...only with a girl.

This film was great! I specially enjoyed that student film that Mays boyfriend made! That was hilarious stuff...in a morbid sort of way
Old 07-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by stevenscotland
The ending was great? Ok let me look at it back she wants the corpse (her new friend) to see her so she stabs herself in the eye.And instead of passing out with shock her eye just falls out all by itself WOW and guess what she has still not fainted with shock and then it ends.
Well what a great ending, i mean what did all that acomplish.
Now i felt sorry for MAY in the first hour but she was disturbed and needed help and in the second half of the film i felt no sorrow for her cause she just basically flipped.
Hey, you should put a **SPOILERS** warning there. You give away some of the ending.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:38 PM
Threads like this muddle everything up... You should have just added your opinion to the other "May" threads... Bad reviews can go in there too you know.

Anyways... the "big deal" with may is that the majority of viewers have really liked it. When you don't "get" why a movie is big it's a simple answer: You just didn't like it as much as most others. That's it, that's all. There's no need to argue, you just have a differing opinion.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo67821
I don't even really see a point in trying to explain why I liked it, or what I thought the point was, because to me it was just a beautifully disturbing character study and that WAS the point. Nothing I say will make the dissenters enjoy the film any more.
Well put. That's part of the reason why I didn't elaborate earlier; the other part being I had just written my review and didn't feel like repeating myself. If you want to know why everyone else eulogized the film, read our positive reviews in the other May thread.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by countchocula
Same here!

Quote:
Originally posted by Freeway
I don't know what the big deal is since all it does is basically retell Carrie with a little twist.
I personally thought it was MUCH better than Carrie.

MAY - 9/10 (A-)
Carrie - 5/10 (C-)

Quote:
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally posted by rtatick
Threads like this muddle everything up... You should have just added your opinion to the other "May" threads... Bad reviews can go in there too you know.

Anyways... the "big deal" with may is that the majority of viewers have really liked it. When you don't "get" why a movie is big it's a simple answer: You just didn't like it as much as most others. That's it, that's all. There's no need to argue, you just have a differing opinion.
Ditto!
Old 07-24-2003, 09:29 AM
May SUCKED!HORRIBLE!

anybody who knows me knows i was anticipating this one so fuckign much and its horrible.....

3/10
Old 07-24-2003, 10:13 AM
Wow... I can understand maybe not thinking it was great, or wondering whether or not it was a horror film, but to say it was 'horrible'? I just can't see it... what are your favorite films?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:29 AM

I saw MAY last night and I loved it. Angela Bettis was amazing. The ending was touching and sad, and I really liked it.

8.5/10
Old 07-24-2003, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XCoRyX
May SUCKED!HORRIBLE!

anybody who knows me knows i was anticipating this one so fuckign much and its horrible.....

3/10
I'm shocked as hell you hated it so much Cory. I thought you would like it much more.
Old 07-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Wow... I can understand maybe not thinking it was great, or wondering whether or not it was a horror film, but to say it was 'horrible'? I just can't see it... what are your favorite films?
I 100 fucking percent agree. I for one don't think it's a horror movie, I think it's more of a drama,.

But I can't see someone giving it a 3/10! It was a great piece of filmmaking, and I think we need more movies like this.

10/10 or A+ or ****
Old 07-24-2003, 06:12 PM
I really liked May
8.5/10
One thing I don't understand is why everyone is going on about the violence in the movie, I didn't find it violent at all, would probably give it a 3/10 for violence, same with American Psycho, didn't think that was violent either.
The one thing I didn't like about May was the ending, I mean I did like it, it's just I would of liked to of known more about what happened to her afterwards.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by movies35
But I can't see someone giving it a 3/10!
Why not? It's not a movie for everybody...I agree with you, the movie it's great, but I don't see everyone loving it....at all.

Anyway...

Today I saw it again with my dad, he said the enjoyed the first hour and Angela's performance, but he didn't like the gory part. He thought it was unecesary. He gave it a 6/10.

And then I saw it again with the comentarie on. I really enjoyed it. Angela Bettis is so much fun, Lucky the director seems like a cool guy too.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sad man
Why not? It's not a movie for everybody...I agree with you, the movie it's great, but I don't see everyone loving it....at all.
Nope, it's definitely NOT for everyone. It's kind of a love it or hate it movie, although more seem to love it than hate it.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:19 AM

If anyone was left confused by the ending and would like some answers, you can check out my mini interview with composer Jaye Barnes-Luckett here:

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...815#post979815

Obviously, there's going to be SPOILERS!
Old 07-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike
If anyone was left confused by the ending and would like some answers, you can check out my mini interview with composer Jaye Barnes-Luckett here:

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...815#post979815

Obviously, there's going to be SPOILERS!
Maybe the guy who made this thread should read it, he didn't understand it.

It took me until I read that to understand the ending to the fullest. And I saw it like 6 times.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:34 PM
I was reading another post on May earlier and someone mentioned the fact that Adam had fucked with her and he deserved what he got...

I still don't understand the reasoning behind that - Adam did nothing wrong...he dated the girl, the girl freaked him out, he dumped her. That's a bad part of dating...he didn't deserve to die, though.

Basically, my question to you guys is any of you agree with the fact that Adam was an asshole? Or was he just a normal schmoe who ended up dumping the wrong girl...
Old 08-04-2003, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Favorite Horror Films: American Psycho,Halloween 6,Friday The 13th Part 8,A Clockwork Orange,NOES 3
Old 08-04-2003, 07:13 AM
I really liked may, it had good acting, a good script and made me think about it long after it had finished, something few films do

10/10
Old 08-04-2003, 08:10 AM
Her reasons for killing everyone who rejected her are utter garbage . She should have just killed herself and got it over with . I know i'm supposed to feel bad for her and sympathize with her predicament , but i really have a hard time feeling sorry for some relatively healthy , seemingly intelligent , young woman who takes out her wrath on a couple of everyday slubs just because she felt they hurt her feelings . The guy gave her a chance , and she got all psychotic on him , i don't blame him for going ghost . Now he's someone i " sympathize " with . All he was trying to do was make a couple of bucks and live a nice boring life . But no , psycho bitch comes along and freaks him out . When he bolts , she goes Jeffrey Dahmer on him . He gave her a chance and SHE fucked up , not him .

Then we have the beautiful , but promiscuous lesbian lover A Farris , who never said that there relationship was exclusive . She treated her with the most respect anyone in her short , pathetic life , ever afforded her . I guess she deserved death because she's young and horny and wanted to experiment with other hot young chicks . Yes , May even pulls a Dahmer on her too . That should be a wakeup call to all current and aspiring lesbians , stick with one chick , or else feel the wrath of a " May " , or worse a " June " .

Okay , the cat could be construed as an accident , but then why does she , well you'll have to watch it to see what she does with that poor animal , and i'm not a fan of cats , but come on .

Then , why did she Dahmer the guy she met at the bus stop , who was simply looking for a bit of fun ? What did he do , breathe ? He should have held his breath the entire time he was at her apartment . Note to people looking for one time rendevous with strange women , don't do it , you never know what you're getting into , no matter how innocent they look .

And , i guess for good measure , the two people she felt came between her and her two potential lovers ( wait she was two timing too , or you can make the argument that she made the attempt , off with her head , the fucking hypocrite ) , felt her murderous wrath also . How dare the people that rejected her , find someone else to satisfy their carnal desires and move on with their life without psycho bitch . Even Farris was willing to remain " friends " with May but she wouldn't share , she had to have her all to herself .

Yeah , i felt sorry for May , i feel sorry she didn't just hang herself and spare the innocents she felt somehow made her life unbearable .

I know , i'm insensitive , not exactly , my heart simply does not bleed for murderous psychopaths , and the less there are of them the better .

And like i said before the director purposely tried to manipulate the audience into identifying with May , so as to somehow justify what she did . Sorry , but it didn't work , i'm not that gullible , and i didn't fall for the cheap tricks . It's a film with a somewhat hidden agenda , that we should feel sorry for people " driven " to murder , no , ty and loathe , but never feel sorry or symapthize with , that's how they got to that point . People feeling sorry and making excuses for them .
Old 08-04-2003, 08:19 AM
I didn't get the feeling that the movie was saying what May did was RIGHT. I sympathized with May and her sense of rejection UNTIL she flipped a screw. The built up sympathy made the whole 3rd act that much more shocking. I thought the rage she unleased was wel above and beyond what those people deserved, but I still loved it. I think some people are getting too hung up on what they think the director was trying to "make" them feel and not what they actually felt themselves. If you felt manipulated that's one thing, but if you felt genuine shock and not really pity, but just think the director intended something else, you aren't really giving the movie a fair shot. Peace!
Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Dellamorte - Then , why did she Dahmer the guy she met at the bus stop , who was simply looking for a bit of fun ? What did he do , breathe ? He should have held his breath the entire time he was at her apartment .
Ok, this is my take on what happened with the guy at the bus stop.

*SPOILERS HIGHLIGHT TO READ*

Well I thought that everything was going fine with MAY and the guy at the bus stop until he looked in her freezer. She tried to stop him, although not doing a good job but when he proceeded to tell her how he wasn't going to be her friend and how she was a freak she jes' lost it, it was IMO the final rejection that drove her to murder. Thus resulting in his death. Also keep in mind that she didn't even really mention his arms until he took off his shirt showing off his tattoo. So a hidden motive IMO wasn't really there at least it wasn't stated. She thought maybe he would be a nice friend.

*END SPOILERS*

At least thats what I got from that whole part of the movie.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:32 PM
XCoryX - I've never really considered A Clockwork Orange to be a horror movie but I guess I can see your reasoning behind that...

dellamorte dellamore - While I agree with some of what you said, I don't think May murdered Polly simply because of Polly's relationship with Ambrosia. I think the reasoning was deeper and darker.

I'm not defending anything that May did, especially to Adam. Adam didn't even make a mistake...he simply broke up with her, as any sane man would after seeing your girlfriend smear your blood over her lips.

I do have to say that throughout the whole movie, I did feel sympathy for May - while she was a grown woman and ultimately made her own decisions, nobody deserves to be ridiculed throughout their childhood...that happens to everyone but to have an old pirate patch on top of that? That's hell.

<Note to people looking for one time rendevous with strange women , don't do it , you never know what you're getting into , no matter how innocent they look .>

It took this movie to make you realize that?

I think maybe you missed the point to May - or who knows, maybe I was "manipulated"
Old 08-05-2003, 12:39 AM
Highlight{ First of all, May was not killing the people who rejected her out of vengence. She was collecting "beautiful" parts to construct a friend, essentially to replace the doll, Suzy. At this point in the movie, she's completely lost touch with reality. I'm not justifying her actions, I'm pointing out that "May" isn't some sort of revenge fantasy. Second, it seems like some people missed the coda in which May lies down beside her new friend and places her eye in its socket, which brings the contruct to life (if only in her mind). This final image sums up the simplicity of May's desire, and makes, for me anyway, an extremely poignant ending because it is a basic desire of us all. The point of the movie, beautifully encapsulated in the final frame, is to evoke the sadness of May's irreconcilable alienation.

Last edited by the night watchman; 08-05-2003 at 01:00 AM..
Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 PM
exactly, Watchman. i couldn't have said it better myself. May was a very powerful movie, and the ending was certainly fitting and definitely emotional. movies seldom affect me, but this one certainly did - and for that i would like to commend Angela Bettis on her amazing performance. absolutely phenomenal. i wouldn't even call that acting...it's more like becoming. she completely immersed herself into May's character and the result was nothing short of excellence. THAT is the big deal with May.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenscotland View Post
4/10
That's actually pretty generous. I just watched this fucking turd. 1/10 just for starting up.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I thought it was great. I haven't seen a bad movie by McGee yet.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:27 AM
I JUST FOUND THIS THREAD AND CAN'T BELIEVE IT EVEN EXISTS.

**DELETE THREAD**