Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2002, 11:24 PM
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Countdown.......

Harry is Back...

.... in 2004!

Plot: For twelve long years, the dread fortress of Azkaban held an infamous prisoner named Sirius Black. Convicted of killing thirteen people with a single curse, he was said to be the heir apparent to the Dark Lord, Voldemort.

Now he has escaped, leaving only two clues as to where he might be headed: Harry Potter's defeat of You-Know-Who was Black's downfall as well. And the Azkaban guards heard Black muttering in his sleep, "He's at Hogwarts... he's at Hogwarts."

Harry Potter isn't safe, not even within the walls of his magical school, surrounded by his friends. Because on top of it all, there may well be a traitor in their midst!

Welcome to the countdown for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The film adaptation of J.K. Rowling's novel telling of the evil and adventure Harry Potter must deal with in his third year of magical learning at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The whole cast is returning, minus Richard Harris who passed away and must be re-cast. The film also has a director new to Potter land, Alfonso Cuaron (Y Tu Mama Tambien). New characters include Sirius Black, Prof. Lupin, Prof. Trelawney, and more. The countdown shall begin when the WB releases an official release date. This will be the thread to post any news and photos pertaining to this film. Let the PoA discussion begin.....

Last edited by dh1989; 07-30-2003 at 08:24 PM..
Old 11-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Go here(http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...threadid=40334) for an archived discussion on PoA. Please further discussions here in this thread. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2002, 10:27 AM
What do you schmoes think should be on the teaser poster? As you know, the first film had the owl clutching the infamous Mr. Harry Potter, The Cupboard Under The Stairs.. letter, and the second film had Dobby with the quote about warning Mr. Potter. So what about PoA? I think it would be cool if they had Hermione's schedule with all the classes at the same time, or maybe the newspaper clipping with the Weasleys in Egpyt(if that makes the cut). Discuss....
Old 12-01-2002, 12:20 PM
Here is an interesting article from Sci-Fi Wire about how Alfonso Cuaron plans to introduce teenage spirit into the third Harry Potter production.....

Harry Potter producer David Heyman told SCI FI Wire that Alfonso Cuaron, director of the upcoming Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, will incorporate teen angst of the sort seen in the director's Y Tu MamŠ Tambien. "He really has a keen understanding of the nuances of teenage life," Heyman said in an interview. "Y Tu MamŠ is about the tail end of being a teenager. In Harry Potter 3, Harry turns 13 and becomes a teenager. I think you'll see a little more of that teenage spirit."

Still, Heyman is sure Cuaron will remain faithful to Potter author and creator J.K. Rowling's vision. "I think when different directors come in and make [each film] their own, while at the same time respecting Rowling's world and the spirit of her writings, that's our attention," Heyman said.

Azkaban begins shooting in February 2003, aiming for a release either in summer or fall of 2004. There were two reasons for taking more time on the third film, Heyman said. "One, we wanted [star] Dan [Radcliffe] to start a new school, to go back and experience that school and make his friends in the first semester," he said. "And also, we have a new director. That new director needs time to prep the film. It's quite different when you've got Chris Columbus, who's already immersed himself in the first film; you can move into the second more easily. Alfonso needs a little more time. I think it'll do us good." The second film, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, is currently in theaters.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:23 PM
MILD SPOILERS

Quote:
Originally posted by dh1989
or maybe the newspaper clipping with the Weasleys in Egpyt(if that makes the cut).
That has to make the cut otherwise Sirius Black wouldn't have been able to find out that Petter Pettigrew was at Hogwarts.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Here is an article from the L.A. Times about the changes in the third Potter film and the problems that may occur around Hogwarts.....

Now that "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" has scared up monstrous box-office numbers, just like the first movie, here's how the plot thickens in coming episodes:

Warner Bros. has been forced to hire a new director for the third installment. The original one burned out after the breakneck pace of back-to-back productions. The planned release date has been delayed because the parents of the actor who plays Harry wanted him to attend a prestigious school rather than being tutored on the set.

Meanwhile, the fourth J.K. Rowling adventure book is so fat -- 734 pages -- no one is sure it can be shaped into a single movie without slicing scenes, which could alienate the protective author and her fanatical young readers.

As for book No. 5, it's still in the works -- and even longer than the last one.

On top of all this, the clock is ticking for the three young stars of the "Potter" series, who already are beginning to outgrow their roles, raising the dicey issue of whether adolescent audiences would embrace a new Harry, Ron and Hermione.

As successful as the "Potter" film series has been so far, it also has become arguably the most complicated and uniquely unpredictable movie franchise ever undertaken. Warner Bros. President Alan Horn calls the effort "a Herculean task."

No other long-running movie series -- not "Star Wars," James Bond or "Batman" -- has been forced to juggle the competing interests of literary loyalty, artistic license and commercial considerations on such a grand scale.

"It's a unique balancing act," studio Chairman Barry Meyer says -- one that gets trickier, not easier, as the franchise stretches toward the end of the decade and possibly beyond.

"Things you think may be a slam dunk may not be," says media analyst Tom Wolzien of Sanford C. Bernstein & Co.

In all, Warner Bros. plans on making seven movies based on Rowling's completed and pending books about a bespectacled boy and his pals at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where young witches and wizards learn the finer points of potions and wands while tumbling into frightening adventures.

The studio got into the game early and cheaply. Just before the first book -- "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" -- became an international sensation, Warner Bros. paid Rowling a meager $50,000 for the right to keep rivals at bay. The following year, the studio paid an additional $500,000, this time to exercise its option to make a movie.

Since then, "Sorcerer's Stone" has generated an estimated $1.5 billion in revenue for the studio and its corporate parent, AOL Time Warner Inc., from worldwide box-office receipts and DVD, television and merchandising sales. "Chamber of Secrets" appears headed down the same road to riches, grossing an estimated $87.7 million in North American theaters last weekend.

Movie a Year Planned

The initial plan was to maintain a schedule that would allow the studio to release a movie every year, keeping audience anticipation high. For the first two films, the strategy worked. Not so for No. 3, which won't be out until 2004 -- proving that nothing can be taken for granted when working with young stars on an ambitious scale.

Production on "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" was delayed until February when the parents of leading boy Daniel Radcliffe, 13, asked for a recess. They told the studio and London-based producer David Heyman their son had been accepted into a top-drawer school and they would like him to attend the first semester. The parents of co-star Emma Watson, 12, who plays precocious witch Hermione, wanted their daughter to study in a real classroom too. For two years, the young actors had been tutored on the set.

"The kids wanted a break," studio chief Horn says. "We're talking about real people here."

Their director, however, wanted to drop out completely.

Chris Columbus, whose works include the mainstream hits "Home Alone" and "Mrs. Doubtfire," had planned on directing all seven "Potter" pictures. But last summer, halfway through shooting "Chamber of Secrets," he told the studio he was simply too spent to even contemplate a third movie, let alone four more after that.

The normally indefatigable Columbus has spent three years filming in London, uprooting his wife and their four children (ranging in age from 5 to 13) from their San Francisco home.

After beginning production on "Chamber of Secrets" just three days after the debut of "Sorcerer's Stone," Columbus says he couldn't imagine starting another grueling regimen of 16-hour days.

"I didn't think I could give the actors the same amount of energy ... and I wanted to spend more time with my family," Columbus says. "I had the insanely naive vision that I would direct all seven movies. But ... I realized that if I even attempted to do the third movie, I might not make it."

Breaking the news to the studio was tough, but not nearly as hard as telling the young actors with whom he had grown so close, especially Radcliffe.

Still, Columbus won't be heading back to the Bay Area soon. To ensure a smooth transition for the youngsters and their new director, Alfonso Cuaron, he agreed to stay on as a producer until "Prisoner of Azkaban" is completed late next summer.

"My only rule is that the set has to be a completely comfortable place -- no screaming, no angry outbursts, no selfish behavior," Columbus says.

The change in directors also could have a dramatic effect on the look and tone of the franchise. Although Cuaron has been lauded for his artistry, he has never shepherded a huge commercial success or directed a big-budget, complicated production with lots of visual effects. The first two "Potter" movies each cost about $140 million to make.

What the studio did see in Cuaron was his distinctive style and range. He directed this year's sexually explicit Spanish-language sleeper "Y Tu Mama Tambien," a coming-of-age story about two teenage boys who become intimate with the same older woman. On the other end of the spectrum, he directed Warner's visually enchanting but financially disappointing 1995 children's movie "A Little Princess," which is set in a New York girls' school.

"He has a great sense of magic, boundless imagination, a real compassion for children and a keen understanding of teenage life and its nuances," "Potter" producer Heyman says.

Cuaron's biggest challenge may be one out of his control, one that sets the "Potter" franchise apart from any other movie series.

Although the young stars were supposed to age one year with each movie -- as the characters do in the books -- the plan has gone awry. With production delayed, their ages will be out of sync by the third movie, a gap that is expected only to widen with each new installment.

"We're experimenting with cryogenic techniques to simply freeze the actors until we're ready to go again, but so far there's no scientific evidence to suggest that it's a workable plan," Horn jokes.

The child actors in the "Potter" franchise are unusual because they have given face to literary characters cherished by millions of young readers.

Casting Challenges

It will be tricky enough to replace Professor Albus Dumbledore, portrayed in the first two "Potter" movies by Richard Harris, 72, who died last month. But the thought of replacing Harry or his closest cohorts is enough to unnerve Warner executives fearful of breaking the spell with fans.

Horn says he hopes he will not confront that decision. But if he does, there'll be only one option. "We'd have to find new kids," he says.

At this point, Radcliffe, Watson and 14-year-old Rupert Grint, who plays Harry's sidekick Ron, are under contract for only one more movie. They have not been asked to sign up for No. 4, according to Horn, because production isn't slated to begin until spring 2004.

With so much money riding on the advancing ages of the children, there is little room for the kinds of creative and strategic delays that typically plague Hollywood productions. As a result, pressure is mounting to keep the productions on track.

The studio only recently closed a deal with screenwriter Steve Kloves to begin adapting Rowling's lengthy fourth book, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." If Kloves can't figure out how to squeeze the material into one movie, the studio might have to make two, Horn said. And that would further distance the actors' real ages from those of their screen characters.

Then again, condensing the voluminous book into one movie carries its own problems. Harry Potter audiences expect to see every twist and turn from Rowling's books leap from the page to the screen.

The status of "Harry Potter" No. 5 is even murkier, raising concerns about just how long the momentum can be maintained.

Warner had hoped Rowling would be done writing "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" by last summer because the studio wanted to release the video and DVD of "Sorcerer's Stone" at the same time the book was published.

So when will Warner get a peek?

"Zero idea," Horn confesses. When he saw the author at the London premiere of "Chamber of Secrets," "she didn't mention it and I didn't ask."

According to a spokeswoman at Scholastic Inc., Rowling's U.S. publisher, the author is "putting the finishing touches" on her fifth book. And though that may be good news for the studio, Rowling has told her publisher that book No. 5 will be "one chapter longer than [No.] 4."
Old 12-01-2002, 12:27 PM

For the teaser poster I would love it if they had a dementor! That would keep it simple. Maybe a dementor standing with it's hand exposed since J.K. Rowling described so vividly what their hands look like in the book.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:29 PM
A piece from the BBC about Dan Radcliffe's feelings on meeting the Cho Chang.....

'Daniel Radcliffe says he's kind of excited about seeing who will play his potential girlfriend Cho Chang in the next movie.

But he says he won't get to help decide who plays her.

Harry meets Cho Chang for the first time in book three, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. There's instant chemistry between them, which develops even more in book four.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Horror whore
For the teaser poster I would love it if they had a dementor! That would keep it simple. Maybe a dementor standing with it's hand exposed since J.K. Rowling described so vividly what their hands look like in the book.
That'd be awesome! I am really excited to see how they do the Dementors without being called "Ringwraith rip-offs". And it would be a spooky PoA teaser. Good Idea!
Old 12-01-2002, 03:22 PM
Yes, a Dementor on the teaser poster would be great!
Old 12-01-2002, 04:43 PM
I'm boycotting CoS because it was my least favorite book. But my favorite is PoA, so I'll be there when this one comes out. I loved the Sirius Black character and all the twists. It should also be a better adaptation because of the new director.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:12 PM
You should see CoS. It has some great action scenes, its very funny, and has an engaging mystery film. Are you a Potter fan? CoS is a great book. Not the best, but damn good. Why would you boycott?
Old 12-01-2002, 05:27 PM
That's a silly comment, MOVIE-Maniac 8.

You're boycotting THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS because it was your least fave book, but will be there opening day for THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN? If you're a fan of the series than I don't see why you would boycott one of them because it happened to be your least favorite.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Supposedly, Gary Gero(Harry Potter animal coordinator) wants the dog below to be Sirius' Animagus form. This five year old Black Lab was in films like Dog Park and Dog Show......

Old 12-01-2002, 06:36 PM
CountingDown.Com recently talked to Wayne Barlowe, a man working on pre-production art for PoA. The interviewer talked mostly about Hellboy, but one of the questions was about Potter....

CountingDown: We hear that your next project is doing preproduction art for the third Harry Potter movie Ė are you at liberty to talk about your work on that project so far?

Wayne Barlowe: No. (laughs) Itís an ongoing process, Iím enjoying working with the people in the UK, this is a new experience for me. I was over there two weeks back about... I met with the director and the production designer, they were both terrific guys. The guys that were already there, the two artists, are also extremely talented guys and I got along real well, and that was very pleasant. And now Iím back here, scanning my artwork in, feeling somewhat removed from the progress of it, but I think doing some very different work from what I did on Hellboy. But itís satisfying and itís a lot of fun, and I have to admit I hadnít read any of the Harry Potter stuff up until I worked on this, and itís a challenge, itís fun.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Here is an article from AICN about Radcliffe's double prepping for the filming of this movie....

A friend of mine takes riding lessons here in the UK. Specifically a town called Chelmsford in Essex.

One of the instructors let it slip that Daniel Radcliffe's stunt double is practicing bare-back riding for the filming of the next Harry Potter film - Prisoner of Azakaban, presumably for the scenes with the Hippogriff, Buckbeak.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Here is an older article, but it should be posted because it has some great stuff from Alfonso Cuaron himself........

Well, slap us on the back and call us ahead of the game, for even before the second instalment of Potter magic hits our screens next month, Empire Online has got the inside nod on how J.K Rowling's third novel, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is shaping up from the very man in charge, Alfonso Cuaron. And trust us, it's going to be interesting.

The surprise choice to replace Chris Columbus as director of the most loved literature of the last few years, Mexican-born Cuaron is perhaps better known for scoring a major international hit this year with his small-budget, sexed-up Spanish language film, Y Tu Mama Tambien (And Your Mother Too) as well as for his previous adaptations of Great Expectations and A Little Princess. When Empire Online cheekily asked whether the adolescence lust and raging hormones of Y Tu Mama will make an appearance at Hogwarts along with Harryís first crush, Cuaron joked Ė at least, we hope he was joking - "Sex in Harry Potter? It's going to be steamyÖmagical," before adding, "We'll have digital effects too!" A frightening thought.

And after working on such an independent, small-scale film as Y Tu Mama, Cuaron has no problems at all with the prospect of tackling the huge project that will be The Prisoner of Azkaban. Describing "Jo Rowling" as "super cool, a great creative ally," he said, "I think we have a great connection creatively. I feel very good about it."

With production for Harry Potter and the Prison of Azkaban scheduled for next Spring, Cuaron, like Columbus before him, is busy enjoying his stay in good old Blighty. "I've always liked London and spent long periods here but never quite as long as this. I'm just having a blast working on this film and collaborating with everyone and walking around London everyday." And he stresses that Pottermania is as big in Latin America as it is in the rest of the world. Letting slip he had a small niece mad about Harry, it's safe to say that Cuaron must now be one of the worldís favourite uncles.

Its from EMPIRE ONLINE, btw.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:38 AM
Quote:
What do you schmoes think should be on the teaser poster? I think it would be cool if they had Hermione's schedule with all the classes at the same time
thats a really good one. that would be awesome! good one good one!
Old 12-05-2002, 02:44 AM
just like the second one, i am REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY excited about this film! i can;t wait until next year. its going to be a long year......but i can't wait! there is really no other movie for next year that i am really really excited about...cept this one of course!
Old 12-05-2002, 05:54 PM

There were some reason rumblings that Tom Felton would not be returning to play Draco Malfoy, the Slytherin bully, in the third Potter flick, but this article from CountingDown.Com can ease all of our fears...

Contrary to recent rumors that Tom Felton was not intending to appear in the third Harry Potter movie due to commitments with another picture, it appears that he is still on board. A representative from his website told us exclusively that though he was originally somewhat down on the filmmaking and subsequent fame, he has come to quite enjoy it in recent months and is intending to appear in Prisoner of Azkaban.

Old 12-05-2002, 06:07 PM
One Dumbledore rumor DENIED!

.... will not portray.......

This is a blurb from CountingDown.Com....

Despite rumors that he would take over a key role in the "Harry Potter" movies from the late Richard Harris, actor Christopher Lee says that is only a rumor and that it is false. He says he has half a dozen other films in his future, including the next sequels to "Star Wars" and "Lord Of The Rings," according to an interview in Variety with senior columnist Army Archerd.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Really, it's not Watson, Radcliffe and Grint I'm worried about growing up, it's Tom Felton. The kid's already 15, while the others are 12 and 13. He'll be in twenties playing a 17 year old! Not good! But, I think if they changed the actors, it could be the death of the series.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:48 PM
20 year olds play 17 year olds all the time! Haven't you ever seen a teen movie?
Old 12-09-2002, 02:52 PM
Well maybe Christoper Lee IS interested in playing Dumbledore? Here is a quote from CountingDown.Com.....

He makes no secret of the fact that he would love to play Professor Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster role so memorably created in the first two Harry Potter movies by the late Richard Harris.

He firmly scotched rumours swirling around the movie industry: "I was never approached to play the part. I have not been approached to play the part."

But he did add: "I could certainly play the character but it wouldn't be the same way that the late Richard Harris played it."
Old 12-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Harry Potter MUST go back to Hogwarts. Loggie the Potter Elf says.

Well obviously many of you know how I feel about the Harry Potter films, and about this film.

About the Lee Topic- I am wary about Lee portraying Dumbledore. Obviously no one will ever do it like Harris did it. But still putting that fact behind me he doesn't seem like a match make in Heaven. But I am sure his is capable doing the role. I think it would be interesting.

Hopefully the troubled behind the scene's wont bring it upon into the movie. I am looking forward to it a whole lot

BTW, I have thought of an idea for a teaser poster. It could show Siruis Black's Dog, and lurking in the shawdow's we get a little glimpse of Black, and show his eyes to bring some evil. I could work, it could.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:49 PM
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
I thought Sirius WAS the black dog...
Old 12-10-2002, 09:17 PM
Quote:
What do you schmoes think should be on the teaser poster?
I'd like the teaser poster to be that of a WANTED poster of Sirius Black describing him as armed and dangerous.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by xirtam
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
I thought Sirius WAS the black dog...
Oh yeah your right. I must have forgotten about that.

I still like the idea that I gave, but just the dog.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:41 AM
this is my second favorite of the series (i think my fave list goes 4, 3, 2, 1)....so i am really looking forward to this one. i think this book has really awesome characters. actually, i think the characters in this book are the most interesting (i like the goblet of fire the best because quidditch if my fave part of harry potter and g.o.f. has tons of it)....i love harry potter and i can't wait til next year! yay!

i wonder who will play dumbledore. i think ian mckellan would be good, but he's already a big character in lotr....so who knows, but i think he'd be good!
Old 12-19-2002, 08:40 PM
Aunt Marge is cast!

One of the most colorful characters in the third book is Uncle Vernon's sadistic sister. She is the one who loves to cuddle Dudley, and make fun of Harry. She has been cast. This is from CBBC Newsround.....

Hot new casting details for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban are beginning to emerge.

There's no news yet on key roles like Sirius Black or Professor Lupin.

But we can tell you that the role of Aunt Marge - Uncle Vernon's monstrous sister - will be played by British actress Pam Ferris.

A photo of her:

Can't wait until we learn who is going to play Lupin and Sirius.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:36 PM
Here is an article about a PoA shooting location. This is from BBC News. Here you go.....

"Glencoe venue for new Potter movie"

The next Harry Potter film could be filmed in Glencoe.
Warner Brothers Production has lodged a planning application to build a set for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Local councillors have still to consider the plan and officials have not yet recommended a decision.

But if consent is given, it is thought the local economy could be boosted by up to £3m from the 400 crew and cast thought to be involved in the making of the third movie in the Harry Potter series.

The application, which will be considered by Highlands Council, is likely to be given the go-ahead because of the boost it would bring during filming next February, March and April.

There could also be a huge spin-off in tourism if Glencoe is shown to the viewing public worldwide.

The planning application includes a gatehouse, sundial garden and stone cottages that form part of the famous Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where Harry Potter learned his magic skills.

The application is for the film village to be at Torren on the edge of Glencoe village, not far from the Clachaig Inn, famous among climbers and hillwalkers from all over the world.

The West Highland scenery has already been seen in the two previous films - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - with Glen Nevis and the Glenfinnan Viaduct prominent in some scenes.

'Welcome boost'

Fort William and Lochaber are no strangers to playing host to the film world.

In the summer of 1995, the town was visited by Mel Gibson and Liam Neeson for the making of Braveheart and Rob Roy, and Highlander starring Sean Connery was filmed in parts of Glen Nevis.

Local councillor Drew McFarlane Slack said: "This Harry Potter film will again bring a welcome boost of visitors in the area.

"These films always bring in visitors wanting to see where they were shot.

"For example each year there is a group of young people from Southern Italy who make a pilgrimage here to see where Highlander was filmed."

Glencoe community councillor Iain Brown added: "None of us realised how much good Braveheart would do in attracting visitors to the area, and it would be magic if there was a similar spin-off from Harry Potter."
Old 12-21-2002, 09:21 AM
Glencoe is very bleak at times. That will be good for the Dementors.
Old 12-26-2002, 05:49 PM
This is from a Christopher Lee interview I found at THE LEAKY CAULDRON...

I was in Vienna, then Germany and then I went back to England and there was this flood on the Internet. It came on to my Web site, of course, eventually. People asking. Then it went into the radio. Then it went onto television. Talk and interview shows -- not with me. Then it went into the press. "He's going to play Richard Harris's part!" And then, of course, everybody asked me, "Is it true?" I said, "No. It isn't." "Well, what do you mean it isn't true?"
I said, "Look. A man has been dead for three or four days. I think it's in extremely bad taste to discuss this sort of thing and very inappropriate." When he was buried, which was only a few weeks ago, it's still inappropriate that somebody starts this. Because I'm then faced with answering this question. I think that people probably don't believe me. They think that I've done some sort of secret deal.

All I can say is that nobody ever asked me to play that part before Harris played it. And nobody has me right up to this very second. Nobody. So it's entirely a rumor. If they did ask me, I would probably say "Yes" and be very pleased. But they haven't. That's the important thing. It's not good when this sort of thing starts, you know. It's not good. It gets out of control. It's embarrassing for me and my agent is going crazy. The phone never stops. The Times printed something. The Times of London, for God's sake. Said: "Three years ago, of course, Christopher Lee was offered the part and turned it down." Totally untrue. I was never offered it. Ever. So that's the end of that story.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:37 PM
Report: Ian McKellen to play Albus Dumbledore

From the IMDb:

McKellen Heads to Hogwarts
British acting knight Sir Ian McKellen will replace the late Richard Harris as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the third Harry Potter movie. The 63-year-old star, who also plays wizard Gandalf in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, is set to appear in the third installments of both rival films - after signing to take on the role of the Hogwarts headmaster in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. McKellen takes over the role from Harris - who died of cancer in October. Movie bosses had hoped to cast Harris in the new film - which is due to begin filming in February - by using computer animation and film footage. But they found they did not have the required film available. Fellow Brit Christopher Lee - another Lord Of The Rings star - was among those tipped to replace Harris. A source on the Warner Bros movie set says, "Everyone has been sworn to secrecy about Ian McKellen getting the role of Dumbledore. One of the production staff let it slip and now it is spreading like wild fire. He got the part just before Christmas but Warner's won't announce it until the New Year. Bosses thought he was the perfect replacement for Harris and, as we all know, he is capable of playing the part of a wizard. They are not worried about people getting The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter confused. They are two very different films."

Wonder if it's true. Seems like it is, but you can never trust the IMDb and their "reputable sources." McKellen is a great actor but we don't want HP and LOTR confused, I would have rather gone with Richard Attenborough or Peter O'Toole.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:48 PM
well, if it is true, hes got my vote.

dumbledore the white anyone?
Old 12-27-2002, 04:01 PM
I've heard about this, and I am not sure whether its true or not. I would love it if it was true. McKellen is a superb actor, and has clearly shown he can bring a literary wizard to the screen wonderfully(Gandalf). Although, IMDB and The Sun(where I heard of this) are not reliable sources. The Sun was the one who reported that Dumbledore's face would be digitally added on to a double. I'll wait until David Heyman makes this official.

P.S. I am going to merge this with the PoA countdown.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:28 PM
I certainly hope this is not true, and it's not really because I don't like Harry Potter, but I just don't think he should play such similar parts, and I don't think he would. It's just like we discussed in my Chronicles of Narnia thread. No one from LOTR should be in the Narnia movies because they are too similar and the same goes for HP. Its even worse though in HP's case because it's coming out at the same time. Like I said, I pray to God its not true.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:06 AM
Ian McKellen's official website has denied that rumor that he has signed on to The Prisoner of Azkaban. He is not signed, and Christopher Lee also said that he hasn't even been offered it. The Sun is (like about all British tabloids) definitely not a trustworthy source for information on films, especially casting news.
Old 12-28-2002, 11:07 AM
The change in directors also could have a dramatic effect on the look and tone of the franchise. Although Cuaron has been lauded for his artistry, he has never shepherded a huge commercial success or directed a big-budget, complicated production with lots of visual effects. The first two "Potter" movies each cost about $140 million to make.

What the studio did see in Cuaron was his distinctive style and range. He directed this year's sexually explicit Spanish-language sleeper "Y Tu Mama Tambien," a coming-of-age story about two teenage boys who become intimate with the same older woman. On the other end of the spectrum, he directed Warner's visually enchanting but financially disappointing 1995 children's movie "A Little Princess," which is set in a New York girls' school.

Hmmm. I find this part interesting. A similar situation with the LOTR, PJ of course, was another virtually unknown director also with an unique style. I question whether WB will give Cuaron the degree of artistic freedom though, that PJ enjoyed.