Old 04-30-2004, 04:31 PM
Stephen King's IT (book review)

NOTE:
This is a book, so it will be slightly different than my movie reviews. Use your imagination--instead of director it is author, instead of acting it's characters, etc.

SECOND NOTE:
This won't be on a scale of -/10 or a letter grade. It's stars. -/*****
Moving on . . .

Before we start, let me say this: IT is the best Stephen King book. Let me also say that IT is the best book, no question. The elegance of the plot, the dimension of its characters . . . Is without equal in the field of literature, film, and everything in-between. You live this book. Iíve never understood that term, really, and thatís because Iíve never really observed a novel with so much impact (The Stand can go chew on wood)--until IT.

An unlikely group of outcasts defeated a terrible evil as children. They made an oath then, a promise: if it ever comes back, so will we. Twenty years later the outcasts have become successful adults all with unusual sums of money (theyíre certainly well-off). But then the calls start . . .
ď Itís come back. You promised.Ē
What follows is an amazing story that effortlessly jerks between the past and present as they present two characters in one person. What? By that I mean King uses their childhood to not only establish a base for the adults, but show how much the world has changed them outside of their hometown Derry.

The characters are the most realistic a story could possibly hope for. Bill, Bev, Ben, Eddie, Stan, Mike, Richie . . . This is the only story where the outcome has grabbed my cold, dead heart and slapped it awake. They are remarkably life-like. Every reader - I guarantee - will relate to EACH person in different ways, bringing them close enough to the characters that they transcend text and turn to flesh and bone.

Stephen King can write, Iíll give him that. The prose couldíve been better, but overall itís flawlessly portrayed (the little blips here and there donít ever detract). How he moves the complicated plot along without breaking a sweat, throwing us flashbacks and different times and articles and narrations, it's rather artistic. He has an eye for pace.

The flaws of IT are nonexistent. Itís immense length never chaffs, unlike itís little brother The Stand. Pages fly by--before you know it youíre on 120. Then 330. Then . . . well, then you're late for work.

What are the pros? Again, let me touch on Kingís ability to weave characters out of thin air. By that I mean there are a Simpsons-like array of supporting characters in IT, each of which are dimensional. Tom and Audra, for example, are typically better than most authors could ever hope to produce.
The story is one of the best I have ever laid eyes on. THIS is epic. I have never seen such passion showed through text, in any of Kingsí works or othersí. I will always remember Patrick and the fridge. Billís intense need for revenge. The finale (Ritual of Chud is phenomenal). The creature. The power each of these children wield by their imagination . . . And the shock each adult has in returning to their home town. Everything is memorable. No space is wasted.

Iím slobbering all over this, arenít I? Well with good reason. Comparing it to other novels is like putting your lover beside yellow snow--no competition (. . . I hope). The Stand, widely regarded as Kingís best, does come relatively close (close=miles and miles away), but itís characters grow tired by the end. Not in It. NOTHING ever tires in this story, everything is built upon page after page until one of the most bitter-sweet finales forces you to read on.

King is at his best here. No question.
Iím speechless.

***** out of *****

REVIEW DATABASE

MOVIES:

28 Days Later : 7/10
8mm : 9/10
Alien : 6/10
Audition: 7/10
August Underground : 5/10
Battle Royale : 8/10
Cannibal Holocaust : 9/10
Dawn of the Dead : 5/10
Day of the Dead: 8/10
The Dead Zone : 7/10
Donnie Darko : 10/10
The Eye : 7/10
Elephant : 6/10
Freaky Friday : 8/10
Ginger Snaps : 7/10
Hardcore : 6/10
Hellboy : 6/10
House of 1000 Corpses : 4/10
House of Sand and Fog : 9/10
Hulk : 10/10
Irreversible : 8/10
Kill Bill Volume 1 : 8/10
Kung Pow! Enter the Fist : 7/10
Last House on the Left: 3/10
May : 10/10
Memento : 8/10
Mulholland Drive : 7/10
Near Dark : 6/10
One Hour Photo : 9/10
Perfect Blue: 9/10
Requiem For a Dream : 8/10
Se7en : 9/10
Terminator 2: Judgment Day : 10/10
Thesis : 6/10
Underworld : 7/10
Willard : 8/10

TELEVISION
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (season 5) : A
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Perfect Collection : B-
End of Evangelion : A-

BOOKS
IT : 5/5 stars

Last edited by C-Desecration-; 09-20-2004 at 06:07 PM..
Old 08-11-2004, 01:23 PM
YES! I cant agree more C. This book hypnptized me and would let ut of its amazing, and evil grip. I literally couldnt I mean COULDNT put this book down. it was like a force. I cant describe how this book effected me. It made me laugh, cry, shiver and even gave me nightmares.

I can go on and on. Read this masterpiece.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by poopontheshoes7
Read this masterpiece.
Never! You may have succumbed to C's brainwashing but not ME!

Old 08-12-2004, 10:34 AM
X i will never surcum to any of C's anything.

Why wont you read IT. It's a amazing. i quess its not your type of book.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Goddammit, X.

Read IT.

Read it, read it, read it, read it, read it!!!

Old 08-12-2004, 12:43 PM
Ack! 'pac too?! They . . . they're multiplying. Hmm . . . it's time to load the old "Double X" (that's my name for a double barrel shotgun) and clean up.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:50 PM
But didn't you already order it x? So we've won.

Quote:
X i will never surcum to any of C's anything.
I've been waiting for this moment!
*straightens tie
pulls back hair
clears throat*
Guess what? If you think I'm a jackass you've been HAD! It's all an act! I do so many things for charity - build alongside Carter, routinely give thousands of dollars to the homeless, talk to X-Nightcrawler- -, I've been mentioned in People's "Top 10 people" list, and God has officially abandoned Jesus in favor of me. Therefore, you have succumbed to my everything

Goddamn I'm diabolical.

joblo.com can not vouch for c-desecration-'s credability
Old 08-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
But didn't you already order it x? So we've won.
Not yet so don't chant victory.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I thought this book was pretty good. I like Stephen King and I know he's capable of writing great books. The TV movie sucked though. The idea of turning a 1093 page book into a three hour movie without missing the main ideas is just plain idiotic.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:00 AM
Absolutly AMAZING book! Re-reading it for the 20th time at the moment and it's still got every shock and laugh from the first time I read it. The only think the film's got going for it is that the kid's section of the film is actually pretty well done (even if they did cut out shed loads of stuff)
Old 09-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the review! Just ordered the book ;-)
Old 09-04-2004, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Absolutly AMAZING book! Re-reading it for the 20th time at the moment and it's still got every shock and laugh from the first time I read it.

20th?
. . .
. . .
. . . right on.

And what's tough about trying to get people to read a book you think is perfect is it almost always comes out like fan-happy hyperbole.
There's the curse of IT: too great for it's own good.

See? For those who haven't read it what I just said sounds like total fan-happy hyperbole.
*sigh*
Old 09-04-2004, 04:33 PM
Quote:
20th?
. . .
. . .
. . . right on.

And what's tough about trying to get people to read a book you think is perfect is it almost always comes out like fan-happy hyperbole.
There's the curse of IT: too great for it's own good.

See? For those who haven't read it what I just said sounds like total fan-happy hyperbole.
*sigh*
Dont worry C, all the people who aint read IT are gonna know exactly what ya mean once they read it

Last edited by tvmorbid; 09-04-2004 at 04:36 PM..
Old 09-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Unbelievable!! I love this book. I read it all in like a week!
Old 11-01-2004, 06:03 PM
I finally snagged it -mostly for . . . 'business' reasons, I was never too interested in the story- and I'm early in the book (page 100). And although "The Talisman" had me more gripped by now, I am sure this book will have no equal. It's getting good - great - fantastic.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:26 PM
I rest my case Wow, just looked at the copyright page in the front of my copy and I've got an edition from the year the book was released, pretty cool.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:15 PM
Good review ,C, but I will have to disagree with you on this being the best book ever written. Although I do believe this novel to be very well written and very detailed to the point that you rememebr parts as your memory, it is not perfect. I found it to be the hardest book I have ever read, bein 1,089 or so pages it took a long time as well. I am used to going through 800-900 page books in two weeks but It took me a month and a bit because some parts were just .. un-interesting. I don't know why some spots troubled me but they did and it had a negative impact on my overall experience reading this book.

On the good side, I do think it is SK's best written work if you exclude the Dark Tower series and he will forever be remember for the clown in everyones nightmares. Very scary at some parts, and being a desensitized individual, that is an accomplishment. I really loved the characters too, richie was my favorite alongside with Bev. The ritual of Chud was amazing and the part with Maturin (see the turtle of enormous girth) was so breathtaking I had to re-read those few pages to soak it up again. Damn what a good book.

I would minus a star due to the few sleep inducing parts but I think you are well opinionated with this novel and kudos to you's.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Good review ,C, but I will have to disagree with you on this being the best book ever written.
I might've exaggerated just a mite there. So how about I reiterate that it's othe best book I've ever read, and definitely a high point in King's career.
I will say that if King was an unknown writer at the time, IT would not be the length it was. I t would've been chopped (if that means anything).

Since I'm not a fan of dark tower, I'd say Desperation is King's best . . . pace, you could say. Some critic called it his most well-groomed book, which is a better description. If this was what you were talking about with 'best written'. Desperation never indulged (not that I'm saying indulging is a bad thing . . . in IT, I think it's a very good thing).
Old 11-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Since I'm not a fan of dark tower, I'd say Desperation is King's best . . . pace, you could say. Some critic called it his most well-groomed book, which is a better description. If this was what you were talking about with 'best written'. Desperation never indulged (not that I'm saying indulging is a bad thing . . . in IT, I think it's a very good thing).
Well I am a fan of Dark Tower and I would say that Desperation is definatly the second best King book. I've read it almost as many times as IT. A great villain, characters you can grow very attached too, and an excellent setting. I've also got The Regulators (a kind of paraody to Desperation, all the characters from Desperation are there, but some roles are reversed. Example: in Desperation David and Pie Carver are the children of Ralph and Ellie, in The Regualtors David and Pie and the parents of Ralph and Ellie. The story is also set in the suburbs of Ohio instead of the desert.) but I don't think that one even comes close. The Regulators is King writing as Richard Bachman and thers too much dark humour in it for it to be a true King novel (probably why he released it as Bachman instead of under his own name).
Old 07-06-2005, 02:22 AM
Well, I just finished the damned book after so long.

Some parts were boring ("Six Phone Calls"), some parts were absolutely amazing like little I've seen before (the finale is amazingly bittersweet, I'm all touched). Overly, it was a mindblowing experience. I wouldn't stop reccomending it. Good? That's an understatement. Fantastic? No doubt about it. Flawless? I don't think so.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 AM
"IT" is one of my favourite novels of all time, and my second favourite King book (after "The Stand"). It is an absolute must read for everyone.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Since this thread got bumped I figured I'd try this question here first so I don't create a whole new thread, but how's Bag of Bones? I'm almost finished, and for some reason the supernatural elements aren't clicking right. Love the old-fashioned drama angle (beautiful goodie good guys, ugly, old bad guys), and anything to do with Mattie Kyra not involving ghosts, but. . .apart from Jo the poltergiests are, I don't know. There's something lacking in that depertmanent for me.
Anyways, cuiosity got the better of me, so figured I'd ask in a thread to do with stephen king. Anyone read Bag? I've heard (or read) some complaints on the ending, but then same thing with IT, and I really loved the finale.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I really liked Bag og Bones. Hvaent rea d it in a while but I really liked it. The main characters sense of loss was palpable and the wheelchair guy w as a great villian.

Its interesting to watch the movie It on DVD. Listen to the DVD where he rips apart Kings book whenever the movie makes a mistake
Old 07-08-2005, 01:07 PM
i really got into IT when i started it (it took me over a month before i finished it though)

i loved it, all the descriptions were excellent and got images flowing through my mind, shame they didnt do it any justice with the miniseries

i really need to get through all the other King books i have
Old 07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
I mean the director rips apart the book
Old 07-08-2005, 08:58 PM
RIght, like for the shortcomings of the second portion, he goes and says that well, the King book suffered too when it was with the adults, because the idea is about childhood. And he made fine points and all, bu the idea is more of comparison, as IT without the adult segments wouldn't be half the book it is (. . .literally). The second half didn't measure up because the dialogue was pretty bad, the finale was awful, so on.
Although I agree with him about the sex scene with the kids. Now it made sense in the story, but . . . just because yo can justify something doesn't necessarily make it a good addition to the story. I always reread IT every now and again, and that portion sticks out more and more whenever I pass it each time.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Although I agree with him about the sex scene with the kids. Now it made sense in the story, but . . . just because yo can justify something doesn't necessarily make it a good addition to the story. I always reread IT every now and again, and that portion sticks out more and more whenever I pass it each time.
Agreed. I understand why it happened, but I don't really see it as necessary. I was all uncomfortable when I read that.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nightcrawler View Post
Agreed. I understand why it happened, but I don't really see it as necessary. I was all uncomfortable when I read that.
The western mind puts children in a unhealthy class of purity in my opinion. Kids are not as fragile as we make them out to be.

Much like homophobia this awkward reaction to that part of the story says more about the reader then the material itself.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 PM
One word for It : EPIC

The massive balls it takes to tackle a book of that magnitude, man. Loved it the first time I read and loved it ever since.

Long live the King.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm reading this book at the moment, didn't know so many people loved it but I have just accidentally read a spoiler, so I will be back when I have read it
Old 08-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Oh God I bought this book months ago and I still haven't got round to reading it..

By the sounds of it alot has been cut out of the film which is all I've ever seen... Is the second half of the film completely different to the book then?
Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 AM
It's the most impacting thing King ever wrote, but yeah, not perfect. Still worth reading even if it's totally bugfuck nuts.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I also really love this book.

I remember reading it when I was 13 or so and it was just mesmerizing (I read it, all 1,000+ pages, in 8 days - I've never read anything else nearly so fast).

I've never read a horror book that comes close to this. The part I will always remember is the first scene with the paper boat, now that definitely hooked you and gave you a taste of what was to come. What I was always fascinated by was how the villain just completely dominated the book, even when it wasn't in the foreground, it's presence was felt. It (the creature, not the book as a whole) was the stuff of nightmares and childhood fears brought to life. It could be anything or anywhere, you never really knew what to expect and when it did emerge...

I was also really impressed by it's scope especially when it took the perspective of non-main characters and explored how ancient this thing and powerful this thing was. It definitely added to the overriding feelings of fear and unease you got from reading the book. More than that, the length King went to describe the town and it's inhabitants was astounding, I almost felt as if I had been there.

My favourite King book by far. I really do have to read it again, it's been about 13 or so years since I've read it and some of the details are getting hazy.

My only problem with it,and I guess I'm not alone based on some of the above comments, was that scene near the end with the kids (if you read it, you'll know what I'm talking about). I knew what King was trying to do in that scene but it's hard not to be a little put off by it and it did seem a little out of the blue. But on the whole, it's an extremely minor point that does nothing to diminish the book as a whole.

If I ever read a more engrossing horror novel, I'll be very impressed.

btw the miniseries blew in comparison
Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Potter, have you read "The Stand"? A better book than IT, IMO. The characters are more likeable, the plot's better, everything is just better about it to me.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM
The anticipation for this book back in the fall of '86 was off the chart. Nothing like the Harry Potter mania we've seen in recent years, but it was still a huge event. Part of the hype, I recall, was that King said this was going to be his last pure horror novel. That didn't last, of course, but back then it added to the excitement. He made the cover of TIME when it came out.

Sadly, 'It' might be the last truly great Stephen King book. Nothing has compared since, and he's all but unreadable in the past 15 years or so. That horrendous ending to 'Rose Madder' put an end to my King obsession. Stuff like 'Cell' just seems like a parody.

He was untouchable in the '70s and '80s, though. Just one amazing book after another.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post

He was untouchable in the '70s and '80s, though. Just one amazing book after another.
Yes. He did a lot of cocaine.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Law View Post
The anticipation for this book back in the fall of '86 was off the chart. Nothing like the Harry Potter mania we've seen in recent years, but it was still a huge event. Part of the hype, I recall, was that King said this was going to be his last pure horror novel. That didn't last, of course, but back then it added to the excitement. He made the cover of TIME when it came out.

Sadly, 'It' might be the last truly great Stephen King book. Nothing has compared since, and he's all but unreadable in the past 15 years or so. That horrendous ending to 'Rose Madder' put an end to my King obsession. Stuff like 'Cell' just seems like a parody.

Duma Key was the best thing he's wrote in the last 10 years or so.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawgick View Post
The western mind puts children in a unhealthy class of purity in my opinion. Kids are not as fragile as we make them out to be.

Much like homophobia this awkward reaction to that part of the story says more about the reader then the material itself.
That's some messed up Lawgick.

But yes, I'm just an old fashioned right-wing nutjob prude-square who doesn't enjoy reading detailed descriptions of 10 year olds taking turns in doing their 10 year old friend. Can't help it.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 PM
I must be the only person that doesn't have a problem with the 10 year-old sexuality put on full(-frontal) display in this novel...must say a good deal about my personality.

(But really, I don't rape kids and then make them sodomize/rape each other...I promise. )
Old 06-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1ng3rsnap9ed View Post
I must be the only person that doesn't have a problem with the 10 year-old sexuality put on full(-frontal) display in this novel...must say a good deal about my personality.

(But really, I don't rape kids and then make them sodomize/rape each other...I promise. )
I also had a problem with that part of the book, it just made me feel uncomfortable reading about it. I know what he was going for with that part but it just came out creepy and bizarre - it was essentially a gang bang, which is just gross and sleazy no matter how you frame it. Still, it was what?, a few pages out of over a thousand, it's forgivable imho.

Last edited by Potter82; 06-26-2009 at 01:46 PM..