Old 09-09-2004, 10:03 AM
When a Stranger Calls (1979)

Hey

WOW. I got this movie on DVD for 2 at a cd fair (thats like $1 for you american schmoes) and it absolutely rocks! It kinda starts of as a horror but progresses into a decent thriller cat and mouse type movie. The begining scared the shit outta me, and nothing has done that in a very long time.

What did you guys think? for me, 9/10
Old 09-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Hey,

Good movie. The first 30 mintues were very good. The middle was average, and the ending was decent too. Overall a good movie. I like Walton, I also like some of his other movies 'April Fools Day' and 'The Rosary Murders.'

-MATT-
Old 09-09-2004, 07:24 PM
Just like everyone says in regards to this film, the first 30 minutes are great. The rest of the movie was so-so.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:12 AM
I have a feeling that the whole film could have been about the caller and the babysitter and that one particular night . They shot their load to soon . Could have made a 90 minute nailbiter .
Old 09-11-2004, 04:54 PM
I like this movie a lot. The first 30 minutes, like everyone says, are the best. The middle half is pretty boring but I liked how they tried to flesh out the psycho a little bit. The final scenes make up for it though.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:04 PM
As a horror film, this is one of the GREATEST suspense-thrillers of all-time!

"Have you checked the children yet?"

EXCELLENT.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:05 PM
This movie is like a fancy sandwich (the beginning & the end look really good), but once you bite into the middle, you are left with an old piece of green meat with maggots on it.

They should have either made the whole movie about the Babysitter (which probably would have been possible and hopefully it would be much better). Or they could have just made a short story of the film and made a 30 minute short movie, episode, or whatever.

Nothing (not even the last 10 minutes) touch the opening 20. But, even the last 10 are worlds & worlds better than the middle hour which is one of the most boring horror stories out there.

The sequel also makes the mistake of having a good 20 minutes or so (once again with the Babysitter), but then sinks horribly.

Both would have been better as just short stories IMO. Unless they could have made the whole movie as good as the first 20 which were really good.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:59 AM
Have you checked the children sums up the suspense in this film . Then its all downhill .
Old 09-13-2004, 04:09 PM
I dug the subplots with the Barfly and the Private Dick, and how they eventually intertwined. It made more of a realistic sense to the film, gave it some space in a realistic world environment.

The third act I actually didn't forsee, and was thoroughly entertained by it. I do admit if the film would have ended on the second act's notions, I'd probably have been dissapointed, but to say the least I was thoroughly entertained, much better than the suspense-thrillers I've been fed in recent memory.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Who was the lady in the bar? what connection did she have with him?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoFreak
Who was the lady in the bar? what connection did she have with him?

*SPOILERS*

First essential woman he meets outside of his escape. He becomes infactuated with her.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:22 PM
I just saw this movie not that long ago and loved it. I will agree with everyone that it does go down after the first 30 minates but not so much that I didn't love it.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:41 AM
This movie had been bigged up to me no end, and having seen the first 20 minutes of the sequel (which was fantastic) I thought surely the original would be even better. After the opening the movie became more and more disappointing for me. It descended into a boring, clueless, made for tv, cop and cat-mouse thriller so much so that I can barely remember anything about it.

The same applies for the sequel after the fantastic opening.

It almost hurts to see films begin with such promise when that promise fails to be fulfilled.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:45 PM
Funny story...

I read this last week, about Wed. or Thur. So I ordered it from netflix, not realizing that I would be ALL ALONE for Fri., Sat., Sun., And Mon. of this week (aside from school on Fri. and Mon. and the hangout yesterday). Anyway, the point is that I am all alone and I cannot resist watching this... it's bound to happen some time!
Old 09-18-2004, 11:22 PM
I say for 90 minutes of sustained suspense , stick with Black Christmas . Stranger had a great idea and concept but was clueless about how to sustain it , unlike BC which paced the tension to perfection . Both deal with some creepy guy / gal making scary phone calls , so that's why i'm comparing them ( and the ones in BC are way more terrifying ) .
Old 09-20-2004, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I found the opening of When A Stranger Calls Back to be scarier.

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD
MILD SPOILERS AHEAD
MILD SPOILERS AHEAD

The shot of the guy creeping up on her is one for the books. I don't think are many scenes in horror movies I've watched that top it. Of course, the movie is only average, but that single scene is bone-chillingly brilliant.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dellamorte dellamore
I say for 90 minutes of sustained suspense , stick with Black Christmas . Stranger had a great idea and concept but was clueless about how to sustain it , unlike BC which paced the tension to perfection . Both deal with some creepy guy / gal making scary phone calls , so that's why i'm comparing them ( and the ones in BC are way more terrifying ) .
I couldn't agree more.....so I won't, I'll just shut it!! He he.

P1PHILLIPS -

Spot on son! I thought that overall the opening to the sequel was superior to the original. I remember first seeing it on tv and thinking "blimey! How come I've never heard of this film and WHY the fuck is it airing on the poxy tv when it should BLATANTLY have a theatrical release??!"

Then I watched the rest of the film and realised that it STANK of "straight to tv stardom". Oh, woe was me.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:19 PM
The first scene of the sequel was chilling. The middle part was terrible and uneven. But the scene close to the end where SPOILER AHEAD~~~~

they're looking for the psycho and he suddenly comes out of the wall, you realize he painted himself to blend in----CREEPY!
Old 09-21-2004, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ComeNightfall
The first scene of the sequel was chilling. The middle part was terrible and uneven. But the scene close to the end where SPOILER AHEAD~~~~

they're looking for the psycho and he suddenly comes out of the wall, you realize he painted himself to blend in----CREEPY!
I agree, but my only problem with that was the film had already lost me in terms of intensity and anxiety. The only scares I was receiving were from the ridiculous middle of the film. So by the time that "freaky" scene occurred I was like "Hey that's kind of cool, but ho hum."
Old 09-28-2004, 06:18 PM
the beginning was great...i dunno i didn't mind the middle too much, there were some good scenes, i wuz actually kinda disapointed with the ending...kill me but i guessed that the killer was gonna be in the bed
Old 09-30-2004, 01:16 AM
In one word!

Creepy...
Old 09-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Re: In one word!

Quote:
Originally posted by the dead one
Creepy...
In more words:

Very let down, very dull.

The first 1/2 was not very good. In fact, what I remember was - - -

SPOILERS!!!

The killer sitting in the kids' room all bloody with blood everywhere.

END SPOILERS!!!

That's the only memorable part. It was alright, but if a movie stemming from a babysitter alone in a house with a killer doesn't scare me when I am alone at night in a house... that's sad.

4/10.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:37 PM
i just saw Black Christmas and it totally changed my opinion...When a Stranger Calls steals the idea totally and does a decent job of it...but wheras Black Christmas is an entire movie When a Stranger Calls is just a rip off of a scene with a boring cop movie tagged on to make it long enough to be called a movie
Old 10-19-2004, 06:07 PM
I was confused by this too. Black Christmas came first but Stranger seems to be the better known of the two.

I need to watch Stranger to tell you which I like more. Black Christmas was worth the time, definitely good suspense.

-mice
Old 10-20-2004, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dellamorte dellamore
I have a feeling that the whole film could have been about the caller and the babysitter and that one particular night . They shot their load to soon . Could have made a 90 minute nailbiter .
I expected and would of preferd the film to be like this
Old 11-17-2011, 08:58 PM
The suspense was expertly done for the first and final scenes. And in between was a highly enjoyable unintentional comedy. A 1970s Charles Durning, like a middle aged Peter Griffin, hunting down a serial killer is pure genius. And the ending was a bit funny, the bed scene, as I always wondered what the man must've been thinking, "omg this is so clever, I'll just rest here and wait for my moment.......wait for it......wait for it.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"