Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2003, 08:40 PM
European Football Discussion Thread

It seems the new seasons are beginning all over Europe this coming week so I decided to open up a thread in which all of European football can be discussed and STICKY it at the top of this forum.

Last edited by Indiana Sev; 08-31-2003 at 12:45 PM..
Old 08-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Ok ladies and gents I'll get the ball rolling (pun intended) and make some pre-season predictions for the Premiership 2003/04

This is how I think the teams will finish...

1. Manchester United
2. Newcastle United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Manchester City
8. Blackburn
9. Everton
10. Birmingham City
11. Southampton
12. Middlesborough
13. Charlton
14. Leeds United
15. Bolton Wanderers
16. Aston Villa
17. Portsmouth
--------------------------------------
18. Wolverhampton Wanderers (sorry Quoth )
19. Leicester City
20. Fulham

I honestly can't see any shocks and no real changes in the balance of power but I feel Leicester and Wolves havent bought well and will struggle and Fulham just look like a team on the slide.

Spurs have to get into Europe this season and with the strike power we have I can see it. Or I'll throw my season ticket onto the pitch again!

Any other predictions? You don't have to do the whole table.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:46 PM
Well I'll do my version just so I can be told how wrong I am

1:Arsenal
2:Newcastle United
3:Manchester United
4:Liverpool
5:Chelsea
6:Everton
7:Blackburn
8:Manchester City
9:Southampton
10:Middlesborough
11:Birmingham City
12:Tottenham Hotspur
13:Aston Villa
14:Fulham
15:Bolton Wanderers
16:Portsmouth
17:Wolverhampton Wanderers (only just)
18:Leeds United
19:Charlton
20: Leicester City

Well only time will tell I don't think the chelsea millions will have the desired effect this season but you wait until the next.
Arsenal will snatch the crown from a decaying Man utd sqaud and I predict at the end of this season more players will go from the Red Devils.
Liverpool unfourtuantly will be making up lost ground but prove a tough challenge for all who meet them.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Notice the August optimism of the Spurs supporter ...

English Premier League

1 Manchester United
2 Newcastle United
3 Arsenal
4 Chelsea
5 Tottenham Hotspur
6 Liverpool
7 Everton
8 Blackburn
9 Middlesbrough
10 Leeds United
11 Aston Villa
12 Manchester City
13 Charlton
14 Fulham
15 Southampton
16 Portsmouth
17 Wolverhampton
------
18 Bolton
19 Leicester City
20 Birmingham City

Primera Liga

1 Real Madrid
2 Valencia
3 Barcelona
4 Deportivo La Coruña
5 Real Sociedad
6 Celta Vigo
7 Mallorca
8 Athletico Madrid
9 Athletic Bilbao
10 Real Betis
11 Real Zaragoza
12 Málaga
13 Racing Santander
14 Valladolid
15 Espanyol
16 Villarreal
17 FC Sevilla
------
18 Osasuna
19 Albacete
20 Murcia

Serie A

1 AC Milan
2 Juventus
3 Roma
4 Inter Milan
5 Parma
6 Lazio
7 Chievo
8 Udinese
9 Bologna
10 Perugia
11 Brescia
12 Empoli
13 Atalanta
14 Modena
15 Ancona
------
16 Reggina
17 Siena
18 Lecce
Old 08-11-2003, 09:11 AM
I am glad to see that a few people have some faith in Wolves. i dont make predictions, but i predict Wolves are going to survive...but barely. Hopefully that will be the case and then we can consolidate in the following season....but yeah, i think we might just make it..

Incidentally Tony, do you have any specific criticisms of the players Wolves have been buying?
Old 08-11-2003, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quoth_the_raven
Incidentally Tony, do you have any specific criticisms of the players Wolves have been buying?
Oleg Luhzny to name one Henri Camara and Silas? You did get a bargain in Ivo and Jody Craddock. I honestly hope Wolves stay up, they are a massive club and deserve to be in the Prem but I just can't see it. Hope they prove me wrong.

Last edited by Bullet Tooth Tony; 08-11-2003 at 12:43 PM..
Old 08-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Tooth Tony
Oleg Luhzny to name one Henri Camara and Silas? You did get a bargain in Ivo and Jody Craddock. I honestly hope Wolves stay up, they are a massive club and deserve to be in the Prem but I just can't see it. Hope they prove me wrong.

I think we may just prove you wrong mate, not by very much,but i think we are staying. 16th/17th is all i ask of them. i think that is a goal we can attain. and i truly have some faith in the new players. silas, in particular, is showing signs of being very good for us. and Luhzny has a bit of experience and looks to be pretty solid. I agree on Ivo and Craddock, and i am not hugely familiar with Camara at the moment (that should chance come saturday)

well, we will see anyway. somehow, i can't see us rolling over and dying easily. i think we may be able to compete, not in a huge title winning kind of way, but like i say, we arent going back down to division one without a hell of a fight!

of course i am being slightly optimistic, and i know its going to be tough to make any kind of real impact this season, but staying up is possible.

i can see Leicester, Fulham and Charlton going down. and i would love to see Newcastle get some silver this season. they were my preference of premier team during the wilderness years, and i still have a soft spot for them. just so long as they remember to lose 3-2 again
Old 08-12-2003, 01:37 PM
Quote:
well, we will see anyway. somehow, i can't see us rolling over and dying easily. i think we may be able to compete, not in a huge title winning kind of way, but like i say, we arent going back down to division one without a hell of a fight!

I can't see Wolves laying down for anyone either Wolves have some good youngsters Lescott, Murray and Kenny Miller so staying up could be a good bet.

Jack Hayward said recently that if at the end of last season Wolves didnt go up he'd give the club to the fans, so if you get relegated Quoth you could be the next owner! . Wolves fans have waited long for this, just try to enjoy it.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:09 PM
europe who said the europe word having been to the rangers v copenhagen game last night i am now officially giving up on european football as we are shit in these competitions.as for the english premiership here is my prediction.
chelsea now have a fantastic squad all they need for me is one more forward and they will walk it this year.

1. chelsea
2. man utd
3. liverpool
4. newcastle
5. arsenal
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. southampton
8.blackburn
9.everton
10.middlesborough
11. charlton
12.birmingham
13.man city
14. Leeds United
15. Bolton Wanderers
16. Aston Villa
17. Portsmouth
--------------------------------------
18. Wolverhampton Wanderers
19. Leicester City
20. Fulham
Old 08-16-2003, 11:39 AM
What a day it's been in the Premiership... ok I lie

If you don't wanna know some of the scores then don't look below

Birmingham beat Tottenham
Portsmouth beat my Villa
United beat Bolton
Wolves got demolished by Blackburn (unlucky Quoth, proper feel sorry for ya mate)

Here's hoping Villa can bounce back with a draw (or mebbe more) against Liverpool next week. (Hey, it's possible!)
Old 08-17-2003, 07:43 AM

What a crock!

No way was that a penalty...I fucking hate Robbie Savage. I was at the game and in the second half we should have demolished Birmingham. Keane and Zamora looked good. What a shit hole St Andrews is while we are on the subject! I'm not a happy man.

Bring on Leeds next week
Old 08-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Quote:
What a shit hole St Andrews is while we are on the subject!
You have no idea how much I agree with you!

I saw the Savage incident, what the fuck was that ref thinking? Fooking Bluenose gits

Anyway, Liverpool vs Chelsea in a few minutes, think I'll watch that
Old 08-17-2003, 01:49 PM
5-1

no comment.

Old 08-18-2003, 11:35 AM
Chelsea fans beware I have just scraped enough money to hire an assian he is a professional and has an amazing track record in bring down rich Russian oil barons.....

Only trouble is it's Tommy Cannon and Bobby Ball and everytime tommy pulls his braces he says "see you Jimmy" and gives the game away

Oh well I still have Russ Abot on my books and he owes me BIG time

(On behalf of all Liverpool fans who hire shite comdians to kill people )
Old 08-18-2003, 12:48 PM
bah, it wont be long till this russian oil baron is in prison. no one makes that amount of money legally in russia

a lot of people share this opinion as well although, they might just be humouring me
Old 08-18-2003, 12:49 PM

Quote:
5-1

no comment.

I feel for you mate I really do. Just one of those days.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mattjk_17
You have no idea how much I agree with you!

I saw the Savage incident, what the fuck was that ref thinking? Fooking Bluenose gits

Anyway, Liverpool vs Chelsea in a few minutes, think I'll watch that
Tell me about it. Savage pushed Gardner first. Ah well its only the first match. We'll still finish above them in the league.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:51 PM
Quote:
I feel for you mate I really do. Just one of those days.

so long as there arent too many more days like it. some of it was down to lack of match fitness and the need to gel further. some of it was down to the number of injuries. silas wasnt showing his potential, and sturridge and iverson up front? URK! thats one combination i didnt see coming.

oh well, you got to look forward. its Charlton next, so hopefully we should notch up a few points
Old 08-18-2003, 04:13 PM
I think the first match of the season is like the first day back at school...well except I wasn't earning thousands at school,and I didn't like going,oh and thousands of people didn't cheer for me??????????

Okay nothing like it all then.....
Old 08-18-2003, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Tell me about it. Savage pushed Gardner first. Ah well its only the first match. We'll still finish above them in the league.
As will we, the club owe it to the fans to finish above them this season, there absolutely can be no excuse to finish below them, even if it is by a measly 3 points again

Liverpool, Arsenhole and Leicester up in the next few weeks, oh what joyous times these are
Old 08-18-2003, 05:08 PM
and wolves have Charlton, Man-ure, and the beanie fuckers.

charlton i think we will beat, not going to talk about manchester utd and i think we may just beat the beanie bunch as well, i have a bit of faith in the old home advantage
Old 08-18-2003, 08:13 PM
Savage is a spanker. I've not yet seen the incident, coz of our crap premier league coverage affiliates here in Oz, but I've heard the pen wasn't there. Prick.

Still, dominating the second-half and the impending return of King and Richards makes me smile. That Zamora's a bit flash!

Looks like we'll nab Bobby Convey - promising US national team midfielder - subject to a work-permit. Any of you yanks seen this lad play for your national team and/or DC United?

Last edited by Shakamaker; 08-18-2003 at 08:18 PM..
Old 08-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shakamaker
Savage is a spanker. I've not yet seen the incident, coz of our crap premier league coverage affiliates here in Oz, but I've heard the pen wasn't there. Prick.

Still, dominating the second-half and the impending return of King and Richards makes me smile. That Zamora's a bit flash!

Looks like we'll nab Bobby Convey - promising US national team midfielder - subject to a work-permit. Any of you yanks seen this lad play for your national team and/or DC United?
I swear he is the guy who played in the under 18 international championship a few months back a tourny were our boys were thrashed by just about everyone.
When I wathced him on Eurosport he did seem a little sparky something for the future there I think.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:54 AM
Got up speshy early to watch the Ireland-Australia game and copped a double-whammy! Saw Spurs striker Robbie Keane go down with an ankle injury, and saw Australia get overwrought by Ireland in the second half!

Shoulda slept in.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:46 PM

You don't know how angry I am. I'm Irish so great result for us although Morrison's winner was hilarious... Keane getting injured pissed me off....why have friendlies three days after the season has got under way.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:49 PM
Oops double post...my internet service is shit recently.
Old 08-20-2003, 01:41 PM
Well my team Chelski!(lol as some of you have dubbed them) got off to a nice start over the weekend beating Liverpool 2-1! Since I live in California I haven't seen the game yet...but I'm gonna watch it later today on Fox Sports World...hear they are also gunning for Inter/Argie striker Crespo...which would be sweet! Maybe this is the year they can get past the Man U's and Arsenal's of the World!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Puck Bond
Well my team Chelski!(lol as some of you have dubbed them) got off to a nice start over the weekend beating Liverpool 2-1! Since I live in California I haven't seen the game yet...but I'm gonna watch it later today on Fox Sports World...hear they are also gunning for Inter/Argie striker Crespo...which would be sweet! Maybe this is the year they can get past the Man U's and Arsenal's of the World!
Well, the first Chelsea goal was against the run of play, but they pretty much controlled Liverpool nicely after that.

Early days yet, but what's Russian for 'title contenders'?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Bolton Wanderers v Blackburn Rovers

Chelsea v Leicester City

Everton v Fulham

Manchester City v Portsmouth

Newcastle United v Manchester United

Southampton v Birmingham City

Tottenham Hotspur v Leeds United

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Charlton Athletic

thats the line up for this weekend...anyone care to make a few predictions?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:53 PM
Ok here goes...

A tight match, Bolton will be smarting after last weekend but I think Blackburn will have just enough to win 2-1.

Chelsea v Leicester City

Tough match for Leicester. Chelsea will turn them over, I know thats what everyone is saying and I agree. 3-0

Everton v Fulham

Should be an entertaining tussle Good result last weekend for Fulham but back to normality I'm afraid. 1-0 to Everton.

Tough to call but again like the match above I think the home side will have just enough to grab the win. 2-1

Game of the weekend no doubt and these games are always exciting. I'm going for a 2-2 draw.

Southampton are flying after last weeks comeback and Phillips stunning strike. B'Ham are average but hard working. I'm gonna go for a home win. 2-1

Tough to call. Spurs played really well in the 2nd half against Birmingham but now we've lost Robbie Keane we have to rely on the unproven Zamora. Plus Leeds played really well against Newcastle last Sunday. Maybe I'm bias and I paid £670 for a season ticket but I'm going for a Spurs win 1-0

Well Quoth I don't think that Wolves will get turned over like last weekend. These two had really shit results and will be desperate to improve thats why I'm going for another draw. 0-0

Last edited by Bullet Tooth Tony; 08-21-2003 at 12:56 PM..
Old 08-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Ok..

Blackburn too classy for a determined Bolton side. They won't concede as many as they did at Old Trafford, but won't be able to hold out a quality Rovers side. Emerton to star again. Bolton 0 - 2 Blackburn

Chelsea v Leicester City

Chelsea surprised me with a good team effort away to Liverpool. I think they'll prove to have one of the best defences in the Premiership (an area where they've not spent much in the summer) as it's settled, and gelling nicely. Waaay too tight for Leicester to notch a winning score against. Chelsea 3 - 0 Leicester City

Everton v Fulham

I think Everton over-achieved last season, as much as Fulham under-achieved. Everton's defence ain't getting any younger, and I don't think they'll hold out an improving Fulham team. Going for an upset. Everton 1 - 2 Fulham

Pompey to gain experience, but Man City to be too good in front of their rabid home fans. Anelka looking hard to stop. Manchester City 2 - 0 Portsmouth

Mouth-watering stuff. A composed Man U defence can handle the pressure of raid after raid from Newcastle's speedy midfield/attack, and counter-attack with deadly accuracy. Newcastle United 1 - 2 Manchester United

Nice fight-back by The Saints last week. They'll break down Birmingham, eventually. Southampton 1 - 0 Birmingham

Sort it lads!! Spurs will start Zamora, who'll give us the confidence we need to start well against Leeds. It'll be over by half time, as a sured-up Spurs defence holds firm. Fire up Stevie Carr! Tottenham Hotspur 3 - 0 Leeds United

I think a no-frills bunch of too-olds and unprovens can grind out a result against a disjointed Charlton team struggling to gel. Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 - 0 Charlton Athletic
Old 08-22-2003, 09:28 AM
A question for Brit and Euro schmoes...did any of you watch the England/Croatia match the other night? No way of watching the game out here or seeing any highlights! I read Beckham scored on a penalty early...and then England weathered a big storm from Croatia with James doing very well in goal. Beckham crossed for an Owen Header...Croatia made it 2-1 before Lampard made it 3-1...my Chelsea boy first international goal...heard it was a cracker...30 yards top corner? So was it a "great goal" and how did England look overall in your opinion?? Especially in prep for next months Euro qualifiers?

P.S. I've read today that Inter have confirmed H. Crespo's move to Chelsea...is that enough to put them over the top?? I hope so...so is this move a definate?! Thanks...Go Blues!
Old 08-22-2003, 09:52 AM

bolton are an ok team at home so i expect a tight game and a sneaky 2-1 win for bolton

Chelsea v Leicester City

total bloodbath 4-0 chelsea

Everton v Fulham

everton another good home side against fulham my tip for the drop so am going for everton to win 2-0

city in the new stadium on the back of a big win against charleton so i['m going 3-1 city

oooh toughie man ure started really well last week newcastle did'nt but i think it will be a tight 2-2 draw

another tight one but taking the saints to win 2-1

2 very average sides spurs are ok at home so am going for a sneaky 1-0 win but would not be shocked with a 0-0 here

sory quoth but charlton got humped last week so will be up for this one i am going for a 2-1 away win.

Last edited by paul calf; 08-22-2003 at 09:55 AM..
Old 08-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Quick question for all those pundits out there...where is Arsenal and Liverpool in this weekend's schedule...do they have the week off? or play midweek? what's the deal here? Since I have been out of touch with the English game since living in America I forgot how most of it all worked?! lol...Footie will always be my first love though.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Puck Bond
A question for Brit and Euro schmoes...did any of you watch the England/Croatia match the other night? No way of watching the game out here or seeing any highlights! I read Beckham scored on a penalty early...and then England weathered a big storm from Croatia with James doing very well in goal. Beckham crossed for an Owen Header...Croatia made it 2-1 before Lampard made it 3-1...my Chelsea boy first international goal...heard it was a cracker...30 yards top corner? So was it a "great goal" and how did England look overall in your opinion?? Especially in prep for next months Euro qualifiers?

P.S. I've read today that Inter have confirmed H. Crespo's move to Chelsea...is that enough to put them over the top?? I hope so...so is this move a definate?! Thanks...Go Blues!
Well Puck, Lampard's goal was indeed a cracker and put the seal on an indifferent performance. The defence were like statues at time again Becks and Owen bail them out. Pretty entertaining...for a friendly. Croatia were neat and tidy nothing special.

I know that Inter have accepted a bid from Chelski and that Sky Sports News here in Blighty reckons the deal could be completed real soon.

Crespo for Chelski...not just yet!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info BTT...good to hear...damn all this Crespo news...I don't know what's going on here?!?! I've heard different things all day. Anyway it was doubtful if they do sign him he would have played Sat against Leicester City...I think we have enough already there to beat them. I'll actually be able to watch this game tomorrow...lookin forward to checking out Mutu.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Well Quoth I don't think that Wolves will get turned over like last weekend. These two had really shit results and will be desperate to improve thats why I'm going for another draw. 0-0
Boy did I get them wrong Sorry mate.

On a happier note. I saw a great game today which will probably be the last game on "The Premiership" on ITV. Two fantastic efforts. Kanoute scored a bicycle kick and it was as sweet as they come.

C'MON YOU SPURS!
Old 08-24-2003, 07:43 PM
I brewed enough coffee for a South American country, and stayed up for the 4am (local time) kick-off of the Spurs v Leeds game on Sunday morning.

I woke the neighbourhood when Taricco slammed his wonder goal, and woke the dead when Kanoute scored. Top-shelf stuff, both of them.

Well, at least I got the Newcastle v Man U score right. Can't believe Houlier is still playing Kewell down the right!
Old 08-25-2003, 03:46 AM
27/8/03 Man Yoo v Wolves!!
..........lambs to the slaughter?
Old 08-25-2003, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shakamaker
I brewed enough coffee for a South American country, and stayed up for the 4am (local time) kick-off of the Spurs v Leeds game on Sunday morning.

I woke the neighbourhood when Taricco slammed his wonder goal, and woke the dead when Kanoute scored. Top-shelf stuff, both of them.

Well, at least I got the Newcastle v Man U score right. Can't believe Houlier is still playing Kewell down the right!
Were you impressed with Postiga? I was, the guy will make it if he carries on like that. Bring on Liverpool, its a great time to play them. I never liked Taricco but what a goal.