Old 08-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Mystic River

Has anybody read this? I'm about halfway through and I cant put it down. I don't usually like mysteries, but this is a lot more than a mystery. I can't wait to see what they do in the movie version.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:20 AM

I read it a while back. Fantastic, heartbreaking stuff. I highly recommend Lehane's other books, the Kenzie and Gennaro Boston p.i. series.

IIRC, in the film Tim Robbins is Dave, Kevin Bacon is Sean, and Sean Penn is Jimmy. Hopefully Eastwood can capture that tragic tone of the book - kind of an Unforgiven vibe, I guess.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:17 AM
I think I'm halfway through it, I haven't read it in a while because I've been doing other work, but I hope to finish it before the film debuts.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 PM
I recently finished the book and man was the book amazing. The ending really disturbed me and it took me a while to get it out of my head. The characters were so heartbreaking. If done right this could be an amazing film.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Hopefully Eastwood doesn't change the ending. It is terribly sad -when taken in context of the events from the beginning of the novel to the end - but it is very powerful.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:11 PM
I swear to God if Eastwood changes the ending Ill be so pissed off. To me the entrie story, especially the character resembles a Greek tragedy and, of course, if there is no ultimate tragedy then it really isn't a Greek tragedy. Even though the ending was heartbreaking and quite disturbing looking back it seemed that the characters were doomed to their fates in the beggigning
Old 08-16-2003, 09:18 PM
IIRC, Dennis Lehane has given the movie his blessing so that's good.