Old 09-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Recommend me some Sci-Fi

I would really like to get into more science fiction novels, but have absolutely no idea of where to start. I'd love to hear your opinions of what is the best out there.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:02 AM
I'll recommend you some authors which are easy to read for beginners and have no bad books:

Connie Willis
Robert J Sawyer
Ray Bradbury
Theodore Sturgeon
Robert C Wilson
Brian Aldiss

And then if you want a bit harder science fiction, you got Philip K Dick, Jack McDevitt (I recommend you The Engines of God), Dan Simmons (Hyperion series), Poul Anderson (his best: The Boat of a Million Years), Robert Silverberg and Robert Sheckley, among others.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:00 AM
Ender's Game. Read this before you read any other Sci-Fi.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:26 AM
John Wyndham!!

edit.. I misspelled his name. He wrote day of The Triffids. T'was baddddass!

Last edited by Romero&Juliet; 09-02-2003 at 09:14 PM..
Old 09-02-2003, 11:15 AM
try some Harry Harrison, and maybe some JG Ballard as a good start

oh and possible Robert Heinlein.

and issac asimov. but that goes without saying
Old 09-02-2003, 11:41 AM
Heres two hardly anybody knows about:

The Man Who Fell To Earth

and

Mockingbird

by Walter Tevis.

Without a doubt the two best science fiction books I have ever read.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:09 PM
With regards to sci-fi. You could do waaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than to grab hold of Peter F Hamilton's Nights Dawn Trilogy. I'll post a synopsis to give you an idea what it's about...

This is the review form Amazon.com

The term "space opera" has evolved over the decades. Originally it meant "hacky, grinding, stinking, outworn, spaceship yarn" (Wilson Tucker), but since then it has come to be (slightly) less pejorative, encompassing any sci-fi action story on an interplanetary or interstellar scale. The Reality Dysfunction rests firmly in the space- opera camp with its intense starship combat, roguish space captains and raw frontier planets, but Peter Hamilton keeps the formula fresh and up-to-date with an infusion of "modern" science fiction technology. His universe is digitally and nanotechnologically savvy, which opens up plenty of possibilities for new perils and plot twists.
It is the late 26th century and humanity's thriving culture spans 200 planets. The usual squabbles and disagreements continue, but generally everyone gets along and lives well as humanity's outward expansion continues apace. On newly colonized Lalonde, though, a strange force emerges from the jungle, lobotomizing people and turning them into super-powered soldiers. At the same time, the story of Joshua Calvert emerges. He's the young captain of a trading ship, who innocently travels to Lalonde and becomes embroiled in the mysteries there. Both threads have plenty of action and exotic scenery. Peter Hamilton's descriptive prose, particularly in action sequences, is breathtaking (and scientifically accurate), creating a dramatic backdrop for a story where the stakes keep getting higher, the villains keep growing more evil and the heroes keep surviving--but only just. Space-opera fans will enjoy this deftly written and engaging novel. Those who feel they don't like the genre might give this example a try to see just how unhacky, ungrinding, sweet-smelling, and robust it can be.

Here's a synopsis of the first book

In the 26th century the human race is finally beginning to realize its full potential. But on a primitive colony planet a renegade criminal's chance encounter with an alien entity unleashes the most primal of fears - "the reality dysfunction".

Here's a synopsis of the second book

The second volume in the "Night's Dawn" trilogy. An ancient menace has escaped from Lalonde, shattering the Confederation's existence. In such times the last thing the galaxy needs is a new, powerful weapon. Yet Dr Mzu is determined to retrieve the Alchemist, so that she can complete a vendetta.

Here's a synopsis of the third book

After the multi-layered, multi-dramatic events described in "The Reality Dysfunction" and "The Neutronium Alchemist", here is the climax. Joshua Calvert and Syrinx fly their starships on a mission to find the "Sleeping God" - which an alien race believes holds the key to overthrowing the possessed.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Thank for the great ideas, everyone
Old 09-03-2003, 03:54 PM
So you picked up Ender's Game, right?
Old 09-03-2003, 05:54 PM
Not yet, but I promise it'll be the first
Old 09-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
With regards to sci-fi. You could do waaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than to grab hold of Peter F Hamilton's Nights Dawn Trilogy. . [/B]
I absolutley agree, this trilogy was fantastic.