Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2003, 08:05 PM
20 years in the making: Avengers & JLA (no, not a rip off of Shatter's tournament!)

It's finally here. After twenty years of stops and starts, Kurt Busiek and George Perez have brought one of the most anticipated cross over's in the history of comic books to life.

Earth's Mightest Hero's meets The World's Greatest Superhero's

After their recent 34 issue run on The Avengers, Busiek and Perez have become my absolute favorite creative team in all of comic books. And the first issue of this storyline, did NOT disappoint.

Everything about it is absolutely amazing. In the final pages, Thor's hammer slamming into Superman's face was a moment I've waited for for over a decade. (Not Superman getting the crap beat out of him, but just the moment. Although, as an Avenger's fan first, I've gotta admit, it was nice to see them get the first blow in! )

The only sucky thing?? I've gotta wait a month between issues....

Perez's artwork gets better and better with each day, and you can tell Busiek and Perez poured their heart and souls into this one.

I've also read, that during the four issue run, Perez will draw every single Avenger and every single JLA member ever. We're talking hundreds of characters here. I can't wait. The 10 year old in me is going on a rampage right now!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 03:30 AM
whoa...fucking aye...i gotta get a copy of this.. how many issues have came out?
Old 09-09-2003, 06:38 AM
I hate all of the Avengers .... i only like the JLA because Rayner is in it .... well is it Rayner as the Green Lantern or no ???

Cuz if no .... god it must be shit
Old 09-09-2003, 08:04 AM

Relax Badtz, GL is in it. And issue #1 is really good. I read a friend's copy, and I'll probably end up buying one before the end of the week.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by XCoRyX
whoa...fucking aye...i gotta get a copy of this.. how many issues have came out?
Only issue #1 has come out. The second won't be out until sometime mid to late October I believe... grr... making me wait...
Old 09-10-2003, 11:20 PM

priceless...i gotta get this,im gonna wait until its cheap on ebay.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by XCoRyX

priceless...i gotta get this,im gonna wait until its cheap on ebay.
If it's a sell out the prices may go up. Issue #1 of Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar is currently fetching anything from 10.00 to around 20.00 and it's only been a couple of months since it came out.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:39 PM
I agree. Pick this one up on e-bay.

It has a steep cover charge, $6 for 48 pages, and comic shops are already charging $8-12 for a monthly book that isn't a month old. With 200,000 copies of the book printed, I think its safe to say that retailers are gouging consumers on a book that they have waited 20 years for.

Prices always come back down to realistic levels on e-bay.

As for the first issue, it's mostly exposition, setting up the big threat, providing a shaky explaination for the characters to eventually fight each other. There are good moments where the Avengers and the JLA react to visiting the other's worlds, but the good stuff never really happens aside from a one panel skirmish at the end of the book.

Should you pay extra for this book? No -- wait for a trade or for the prices to fall back down to market levels.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:44 PM
George Perez is seriously the best artist working in comics today... the man never ceases to amaze...

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/AVJLA003_COVER.jpg

Apparently he even asked for this work back to add four more characters that he had previously overlooked... beats the hell out of me who they could possibly be...

The only person that seems to be missing at this point, is The Invisible Woman, but that's apparently only until the inking on the project is done, at which time she'll... magically appear. (She's invisible on this draft).

This is apparently the cover to issue #3 of Avengers/JLA.

I can't believe I still have to wait almost a month to get issue #2.