Old 12-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Joe R. Lansdale recommendations needed!

As the thread title says, I've been meaning to start reading his books and I need schmoe help to tell me where should I start. Thanks for you help.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Lansdale is one of my favorite writers. As far as novels go, I'd recommend the Hap and Leonard series, starting with Savage Season (my favorite in the series so far is the third, The Two-Bear Mambo; A Fine Dark Line, The Boar, The Nightrunners and The Drive-In are all good books, too.

Good short story collections include A Fist Full of Stories, By Bizarre Hands, and Writer of the Purple Rage.

What have you read by Lansdale so far?
Old 01-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Actually, I just started my first. I'm in Mucho Mojo for about 30 pages(damn school, I have no time to read anymore!). It's a fairly easy read, and it's easy to jump in to the story. Also I got a collection of stories that has the Bubba Ho-Tep story in it. Plan to read it later...
Old 01-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Yeah, Lansdale is probably one of the clearest writers out there. I can actually read his stuff while the TV is on, or read him is short spurts at work, or whatnot. His style is unadorned, but still vivid, and he keeps the action moving.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:59 PM
I can personally recommend both The Drive-In and it's sequel (called, errr, The Drive-In 2 oddly enough). I read both of these a good few years ago but remember really enjoying them.