Old 12-21-2003, 03:06 PM
Co-writing?

Is co-writing a book a good or bad idea? I love to write, but I doubt anyone has the same style. So, what does everyone think? Go for it or stick to yourself?
Old 12-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Depends on how attension-sticky you are. If you can deal with sharing creative tribuation to something good for you. For me I would have a problem sharing my writing with other peoples names because of how personal and close to me my writing is.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:38 AM

I've done some co-writing and sometimes it's easier. It's good to have someone to work with, especially if one of you have writer's block.

Also if they're experienced they can point out mistakes that you may not notice. I've learned a lot from a friend of mine who I co-write with now and then.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Occasionally I wish I had a co-writer. Only I'm very descriptive. Sometimes a curse.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:50 PM
Its better just to have someone tehre to help you. Especially if it goes to sale, bc that way they wont get any of your damn money.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks guys. I'll take those into consideration.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:07 PM
Mercedes Lackey seems to do it with aplomb. Tracy Hickman, and I have noticed Melanie Rawn is going that way.

Personally, I can't imagine how they do it. The only truly successful pairing (when I say that I mean the book was fucking amazing, not just readable) I can think of off hand is Pratchett and Gaimon.

I know a lot of fantasy writers do this. I'm a huge fan of the genre. No clue how they do it. I have written with other writers, but not fiction. Did a collaborative book with a friend some years back but it was an experimental thing when the internet was still new to a lot of people, and we did it in email as a sort of fun commentary exchange.