Old 08-09-2003, 12:41 AM
Ender's Game

Has anyone read this? It's a great Science Fiction book, and one of my favorites. I really wish this book would be turned into a movie someday. Thoughts?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Yeah, yeah, great novel and all, though the sequels left something to be desired. I thought Speaker for the Dead was alright, though some of the characters irritated me and Ender's constant acting like a saint, stopping fights and keeping his calm while that kid pissed on him, didn't seem characteristic of the Ender Wiggin in Ender's Game to me. But then again, he was a child for most of that novel and he is an adult in Speaker for the Dead... Still think the sequel isn't half as good as the original.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:24 PM
Yeah, we had to read this in my freshman english class. It's a great book, although I haven't read any of the sequels yet. I think it should be turned into a movie...someday...
Old 08-10-2003, 01:08 PM
I'm the biggest damn Ender fanatic on this site.

Yes, a movie is in the works, and the script is complete, I think. Wolfgang Petersen is set to direct, and Card will be very close in the production of the film, seeing as he co-owns the production company, although Warner Bros. is pitching in with money.

About the book sequels, the first one is good, while the rest go downhill. The better series is the Bean series, beginning with Ender's Shadow.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:10 AM
I don't think the series goes downhill at all.

I thought "Speaker for the Dead" was a very different kind of book. It was more cerebral than the first, centered more adult-like non-action based storytelling. But I liked it.
Then, "Xenocide" pissed me off by making a stupid-assed ending. I was so mad that I almost didn't read
"Children of the Mind", but boy I'm sure glad I did! Turns out the ending was a great setup for a much better book. There would be a chapter that would make me want to cry, then 6 pages later in the next chapter I felt like crying with laughter.

I think Card is one of the best writers of fiction alive right now.

The Bean series is very very solid. It IS better than the Ender series, but both are very good reading. I don't think Card needs to make another one after "Shadow Puppets", but it's not like it's losing any steam, so I don't mind more books.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:21 AM
Quote:
I was so mad that I almost didn't read
"Children of the Mind", but boy I'm sure glad I did!
Really? I thought Children of the Mind was, at best, a very mediocre book - one of the most disappointing book sequels I have ever read, in fact. The characterization was flat, the dialogue lengthy without any feel behind it, the plot was stupid and obnoxious etc etc etc.

Ender's Game is one of my favorites, and I also enjoyed the sequels somewhat, they were just disappointing. Ender's Shadow was decent, haven't read its followups.

BTW, am I the only one who found the survival of so much stuff from today a bit hard to believe in its sequels?

**very mild, Ender-universe spoilers**

Humanity was nearly obliterated by the buggers (billions killed), then the entire society ended up in a semi-civil war and all these other problems before being put back together under a single government. I just found it a bit of stretch how Catholicism apparently survived completely unchanged, and how the people on Lusitania apparently were just as ignorant (I'm not attempting to bash Catholics at all, this is unrelated to the previous) about the universe and worlds around them as people in the dark ages (like where they form the mob in Xenocide - WTF? When founding this colony, did they find all the backwater rednecks and inbred hicks they could to shoot off to it or what?).

***END***
Old 09-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim H

**very mild, Ender-universe spoilers**

Humanity was nearly obliterated by the buggers (billions killed), then the entire society ended up in a semi-civil war and all these other problems before being put back together under a single government. I just found it a bit of stretch how Catholicism apparently survived completely unchanged, and how the people on Lusitania apparently were just as ignorant (I'm not attempting to bash Catholics at all, this is unrelated to the previous) about the universe and worlds around them as people in the dark ages (like where they form the mob in Xenocide - WTF? When founding this colony, did they find all the backwater rednecks and inbred hicks they could to shoot off to it or what?).

***END***

******Spoilers again******

What gets me is how Ender's Army is able to fight off the buggers with a weapon that can destroy an entire planet, and then we find Bean later on doing battle across the world with missions using real soldiers and actual troop landings. You'd think at this point in the future there would be very little need for sacrificing troops on land-based attacks. Most of the war would be fought from a distance, with remote, computer-based technology that would use less soldiers and more safety and devestation through modern technology.

***** End Spoilers *****

But in the end, I really like the story. I love the character development and thought processes that are discussed through each characters' minds. That's what I like. I don't think too heavily into the technological/religious inconsistancies. Card obviously is a huge lover of history and politics, the rise and fall of nations....
He bases his theories and imagination of current day politics in a pseudo-futuristic world, and the future isn't so different from ours, but in other ways it's way more advanced than us. No matter. It's still a great read! That's why it's FICTION, too. :P
Old 09-03-2003, 04:01 PM
The army thing I can see, they were using huge amounts of resources for the Ender stuff, they likely didn't have a lot for larger scale wars LEFT. I do find the way war is going for the more powerful countries scary - it's getting to the point now where we can invade and obliterate countries and lose practically nothing. It eliminates one of the prime motives for NOT going to war, which is mostly BAD.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't read his books if you paid me. He is a homophobe and doesn't deserve my attention.

Later,

Kyle
Old 09-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by IFdude
I wouldn't read his books if you paid me. He is a homophobe and doesn't deserve my attention.

Later,

Kyle

Well, if he doesn't deserve your attention, DON"T POST HERE.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by outsyder
Well, if he doesn't deserve your attention, DON"T POST HERE.
I guess I'm supposed to cower in a corner and cry?
If you don't want to read my messages don't read them.

Later,

Kyle
Old 09-14-2003, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IFdude
I guess I'm supposed to cower in a corner and cry?
If you don't want to read my messages don't read them.

Later,

Kyle
I don't really let a person's beliefs intrude upon whether or not i'm going to read a book or see a movie. This thread was started to discuss the book Ender's Game...not to discuss the idiotic ramblings of it's author on the matter of sexual orientation. I don't agree with his stance on the subject of homosexuals but i'm damn sure i'm not going to let it change my opinion of Ender's Game. It's one of the very best books i've read in the last decade.

Oh...and no...you're not supposed to crawl into a corner and cry. If you want to start another thread discussing Orson Scott Card's tiresome beliefs then feel free to do so.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:05 PM
Ender's Game is by far my favourite novel. Speaker For The Dead is equally good. Xenocide I haven't read in a while but one of my best friends recently bought it. Children Of The Mind bored me, anyone who can give me reasons to read all of it will be welcome. Ender's Shadow was awsome. I have an autographed hardcover copy given to me by one of my good friends (a university professor) which has been MISPLACED by another friend who is too stupid to get off his lazy fucking ass and look for it! And he's expecting me to replace his old worn out Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy collection!
P.S. OSC's Homecoming series is also excellent.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:03 PM
An excellent, excellent book, that if you're not reading, you're just plain ignorant. Ignorant, I tell you.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Minmei
An excellent, excellent book, that if you're not reading, you're just plain ignorant. Ignorant, I tell you.
Can you give more of an explanation about this book, and why you liked it?

Last I checked, it was encouraged that people refrain from saying stuff like "This movie/book ROCKS!" without explaining WHY you thought it rocked. I don't remember the exact words, but it goes something like:

You must be AT LEAST 13 years old to join our board and even if you're older than that, we expect you to post constructively, maturely and with sense. Basically, post with some weight behind it.

Yeah, I heard that somewhere.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:04 PM
Well, here's some news . . . .

X2 Scriptwriters hired!

Quote:
Movie Update - February 10, 2004
X-Men 2 Writers Signed for the Ender Screenplay

Variety Magazine announced on 10 February that Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty, the writing team that created the X-Men 2 screenplay, have been hired by Warner Brothers to write the second draft of the Ender's Game screenplay.

Harris and Dougherty have already been in contact with Orson Scott Card, the author of both Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, both of which have been optioned by Warner Brothers as the basis for the Ender's Game movie. Card wrote the first draft of the screenplay based on both books.

"Dan and Mike know how to create a terrific action film that entertains the audience every moment," said Card. "And best of all, their scripts get made, and made well. The chance of an excellent version of Ender's Game actually getting on the screen just increased dramatically because they signed on."

Harris already knew Ender's Game well; Dougherty only read it in preparation for this assignment. "That's an ideal combination," said Card. "One of the team is absolutely familiar with the elements of the story that the most committed fans will expect to see, while the other will be able to make sure it isn't just a movie for people who already love the book."

Still, Card warns, "No matter who writes the script, there are only a hundred and twenty pages available to tell a story that took more than five times that many to tell in novel form. Trying to include everything would make a lousy movie. Something is going to get left out."

"My own draft of the screenplay gives a pretty good idea of which elements of the books I thought were vital to the telling of the story," says Card. "I can't wait to see what they do."

"And of course I'll be available to them to help them in any way I can," Card promises. "We all have the same goal: To get a great movie into the theaters. With Wolfgang Petersen slated to direct and Warner Brothers executives committed to backing this project to the hilt, I believe that we couldn't have a better team."

Though the Variety article doesn't mention her, Robert Chartoff's partner Lynn Hendee, of Chartoff Productions, is still aboard as a producer of Ender's Game. She has been working closely with Card since 1996, and has been an integral part of every version of the script and every attempt to put together the film package.

"It's ironic," says Card, "that the producer who has worked the hardest to realize this film as I want it is the one whose name isn't mentioned in the story. But that's Hollywood. It makes me wonder how many other films owe this much to people whose names somehow don't make it into the official story."

In March, Card will be meeting with Warner Brothers Consumer Products division to discuss development of the electronic games that will tie in with the movie.

As to when the movie will come out, Card says, "It's way too early even to guess about that. The second draft isn't even written yet. And even when we get a script that everyone thinks is perfect, there's still the problem of casting and, of course, making everything fit with everyone's schedule."

Card promises that "as soon as we know anything real," it will be announced here and elsewhere.
This is amazing news. I hope this movie does really well . . .

and an added bonus . . .

And, um . . . MEGABUMP.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:05 PM
DOUBLEPOST
Old 02-18-2004, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KcMsterpce
Can you give more of an explanation about this book, and why you liked it?

Last I checked, it was encouraged that people refrain from saying stuff like "This movie/book ROCKS!" without explaining WHY you thought it rocked. I don't remember the exact words, but it goes something like:

You must be AT LEAST 13 years old to join our board and even if you're older than that, we expect you to post constructively, maturely and with sense. Basically, post with some weight behind it.

Yeah, I heard that somewhere.
That's right KC, I'm younger than 13

Even though I posted this months ago, and read the book years and years ago (Which is why I only posted a sentence, because I can't remember the book in great, long detail anymore.) I guess I'll try to make up for my mistake I made back in October.

I like the book because it is written in a nice manner and it has a twisty, and emotional, ending, which I like.

Whoops, another one-sentence review. Dammit.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:36 AM
Great book. And in case people don't know, Wolfgang Petersen is currently attached to direct it.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:00 AM
Quote:
"My own draft of the screenplay gives a pretty good idea of which elements of the books I thought were vital to the telling of the story," says Card
This draft used to be posted on the Fresco Pictures website. Anybody know where to find it now?

Thanks - Maestro