Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2004, 05:45 PM
The OFFICIAL Final Fantasy Thread

I mentioned this idea in the 'Final Fantasy 7' thread that someone made a couple of days ago..so...

I decided to make this thread due to the fact there is almost ALWAYS a new Final Fantasy thread every week. I say just use this place for discussion on what Final Fantasy you guys like, ask for help on the games (or I just be a prick say, "Get your arse over to www.gamefaqs.com and stop bothering me!), and all that other fun crap.

So...umm....yeah, that's about it. I just don't feel the need for a lot of threads over one topic. (And will someone PLEASE create an official Resident Evil thread, too?)

Umm...while I'm here I minds well list my rating for the Final Fantasys.

Final Fantasy (8/10)
Final Fantasy II (8/10)
Final Fantasy III (8/10)
Final Fantasy IV (9/10)
Final Fantasy V (9/10)
Final Fantasy VI (10/10)
Final Fantasy VII (10/10)
Final Fantasy VIII (8/10) (I hear the fanboys coming...)
Final Fantasy IX (10/10)
Final Fantasy X (9/10)
Final Fantasy X-2 (9/10)
Final Fantasy XI (9/10)

Final Fantasy Tactics (10/10)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (9/10)
Final Fantasy Legend (7/10)
Final Fantasy Legend 2 (7/10)
Final Fantasy Legend 3 (8/10)
Final Fantasy Adventure (9/10)
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon (7/10
Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon 2 (7/10)
Chocobo Racing (7/10)
Kingdom Hearts (9/10)

Last edited by TheJadedGamer; 04-25-2004 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheJadedGamer
Final Fantasy XII (9/10)
Considering that FFXII isn't supposed to be out until 2005, I'm guessing that that's a typo.

Anyway, the FF series is my personal favourite game series of all time - here are my ratings for games in the series I've played:

Final Fantasy IV - 9/10
Final Fantasy V - 8/10
Final Fantasy VI - 9/10
Final Fantasy VII - 9/10
Final Fantasy VIII - 8, maybe 9/10
Final Fantasy IX - 8/10
Final Fantasy X - 10/10 (my personal fav of the series)
Final Fantasy X-2 - 7/10 (my least fav, but I still like it)
Kingdom Hearts (even though I don't consider it a 100% Final Fantasy game) - 8, maybe 9/10
Old 04-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Yeah, typo..that's suppose to be XI, people!

I, too, don't consider Kingdom Hearts a Final Fantasy game. But there is involement from FF characters in the game and obvious FF refrences. Hell, Legend isn't a FF game (it is a SaGa Frontier game) and Adventure isn't a FF game (it is part of the Mana series).
Old 04-25-2004, 06:25 PM
Re: The OFFICIAL Final Fantasy Thread

Quote:
IFinal Fantasy VIII (8/10) (I hear the fanboys coming...)
You now prepare to die, Jaded.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:29 PM
I am prepared to face the fury.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:30 PM
Final Fantasy VIII was the least of the true Final Fantasies for the Playstations. I'm sorry, but what the hell was with that ending? You don't actually get to meet the End Boss until you fight her. And the whole ending completely lacked urgency. Why should I give a shit about this fight? Where is the emotion?

When you battle Sephiroth at the end of VII, there is the burning desire to defeat him coupled with the knowledge that for the good of all living things, he needs to be utterly destroyed. I felt an urgency. I felt emotion.

But VIII? Nothing. And, frankly, the majority of the game felt empty. Kind of like their was nothing truly driving me on.

But this is all my opinion and nothing more.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maeljin_incarna
Final Fantasy VIII was the least of the true Final Fantasies for the Playstations. I'm sorry, but what the hell was with that ending? You don't actually get to meet the End Boss until you fight her. And the whole ending completely lacked urgency. Why should I give a shit about this fight? Where is the emotion?

When you battle Sephiroth at the end of VII, there is the burning desire to defeat him coupled with the knowledge that for the good of all living things, he needs to be utterly destroyed. I felt an urgency. I felt emotion.

But VIII? Nothing. And, frankly, the majority of the game felt empty. Kind of like their was nothing truly driving me on.

But this is all my opinion and nothing more.
**SPOILER WARNING**

Your right. The game didn't hit me as hard as VI (Kefka basically destroys the fucking world!) and VII (That bastard Sephiroth killed Aeris).......but there is still a hardcore following....one that I cannot seem to stop even with my magical gaming powers.

Last edited by TheJadedGamer; 04-28-2004 at 08:42 PM..
Old 04-27-2004, 10:46 PM
I have to say Im so happy that I decided to continue with FF games after X. FFX was sucha dissapointment. It had a nice story but the sphere grid wa s one of the stupides feature Ive ever seen on a game.

Right Im on FFVII. Specifically Im in the beggining where the plate has been sabatoged and crashed. Then I climbed up with my party and now were going to attack I think its the Shrinra headquarters to rescue Aerris.

Although its funny I renamed everyone:

Aeeris: Chunl
Cloud: Cloaaaaaaar
Tifa: Tifbakl

I have FFIX. I will get FFVI becuase its on PS1 along with Chrono Trigger.

Im kind of nervous about FFVIII becuase I hear the amgic system is kind of weird.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Your right. The game didn't hit me as hard as VI (Kefka basically destroys the fucking world!) and VII (That bastard Sephiroth killed Aeris).......but there is still a hardcore following....one that I cannot seem to stop even with my magical gaming powers.
Spoiler Warnings Jaded . . .

And Maeljin_incarna, although I completely disagree . . . I have to compliment that way too awesome Flippy avatar.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Flip's da shiz-nit, Night. I just bought that badass Weapon of Mass Destruction Flippy tee from the Mondo website. Fan-fuckin-credible.

What the--?
Old 04-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Spoiler Warnings Jaded . . .

And Maeljin_incarna, although I completely disagree . . . I have to compliment that way too awesome Flippy avatar.

I did. Forget that some people haven't played all the games.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:50 AM
Did anyone else not like 9 that much? I didn't even buy the damned thing (I have 7, 8, and 10).
But I completely agree about the anti-climactic final battle in FF8. So (spoilers------------) Edea turns kind of good, okay . . . then Seifer . . . so who do you end of fighting? Ultimicia or someone. This person, by the way, appears ONLY in the final battle. It's like if in FF7 you defeated sepheroth, then some big rock came and you had to fight it.
There's no "end battle" feeling to it because we've JUST been introduced to the character.

I thought personally that FF7 and 10 had the best final battles (10's because the 'destroy your aeons' thing at the end was SO fucking cool and 7 because, at the very end, it was Cloud and Sepheroth).

But overall the final fantasy's are the second best RPGs around (right behind the Xeno's).
Old 04-29-2004, 12:56 PM
I personally have it out for FFIX purely for the fact that the strategy guide for the game sucked massively. In it, after every couple pages it would tell you to go to the official FF website "for details" rather than printing them. This blows considering at the time I was playing it, I didn't have access to the internet.

For more explanation: Everytime I buy an RPG I play through it once. If I find any secrets, good. If not, whatever. Afterwords, I'll buy the strategy guide (or guides, if there are multiple) and play through again, completing and obtaining EVERYTHING that is possible. I know, I'm obsessed.

So you see why I would hate that there's one FF that I never "completed" in the same manner. It also means that I never replayed it. As far as I'm concerned, it never had a chance to grip my heart like the others FFs did.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
There's no "end battle" feeling to it because we've JUST been introduced to the character.
Well I disagree.

I know she doesn't appear but you kinda know exactly who she is and what she wants. The monologue/s before entering the fight and that shot with the entire party standing in front of her gave me a very VERY conclusive feel.

Overall, I hold my thought that FFVIII is the best videogame ever created and one of the best stories ever told . . . there's just *something* in that game . . . . . . . I feel like playing it all over again.

Aside Xenogears (which I haven't played) that is.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Quote:
I personally have it out for FFIX purely for the fact that the strategy guide for the game sucked massively. In it, after every couple pages it would tell you to go to the official FF website "for details" rather than printing them. This blows considering at the time I was playing it, I didn't have access to the internet.

Exactly...I payed $15 for a pretty useless piece of crap. To make matters worse when I got internet access, I couldn't go to THAT site and type in all that crap.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:13 PM
I have FFIX strategy guide and eventhough it does seem useless I do like how it lists what abilities go with what armor and weapons.

Wish I could ahve gotten to the of FFX but theat sphere grid wa s killing me.

So is the magic system of FFVIII reall as bad as I hear
Old 04-29-2004, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Hmm . . . FFVIII official defender's here . . . again. So, I never found anything realy bad about either the magic system nor the junction system (which is almost like cheating but it's well thought).
Old 04-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Umm..yes..sorry, but I hate sitting on ONE BATTLE, constantly drawing some magic I NEVER USE to equip on one of my characters. Sure, I have to say it is a wicked twist, but with that and EXP system, it didn't seem like a Final Fantasy game. Plus, if you really work hard, you can get to level 100 in no time (though future Guardian Forces will be on low levels).

Oh, and speaking of Guardian Forces, I hope you like long waits. Some of those summons are long as hell and reall drawn out.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Umm..yes..sorry, but I hate sitting on ONE BATTLE, constantly drawing some magic I NEVER USE to equip on one of my characters. Sure, I have to say it is a wicked twist, but with that and EXP system, it didn't seem like a Final Fantasy game. Plus, if you really work hard, you can get to level 100 in no time (though future Guardian Forces will be on low levels).

Oh, and speaking of Guardian Forces, I hope you like long waits. Some of those summons are long as hell and reall drawn out.
As much as I like FFVIII, I have to agree with this statement.

If you found the Sphere Grid system in FFX confusing, this one will be insane - I usually pick up on stuff in video games in a matter of minutes, but it took me about a month to figure this one out (I'm not exaggerating here).

The good part, though, is that, once you've managed to figure it out (which, even though it'll probably take a while, there's one point where it all just clicks), the game instantly becomes more of a blast to play, IMO. A little anti-climactic towards the end (although I've played a lot of games that are far more so), but I still loved it.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:13 PM
Yeah, maxing out your GFs, characters, and beating the optional quests really do make the game more fun. I didn't find the Magic-Equip thing to be hard...it is just you need to experment a lot before you get it right.

And once you do, the game will be a breeze. You'll absorb magic attacks, demolish enemies in one hit, and your limit breaks will causing damage THROUGH the roof.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:29 PM
I probably shouldn't be posting here, since I haven't even touched FFVII for God knows how long, and I'm not at all interested in getting FFXI, simply because I'm not an Everquest junkie looking for a newer alternative. But hey, I love the Final Fantasy series and its offshoots (including Chrono Trigger, if you can call that related to Final Fantasy) and it's a great series, even though it's had its blunders (nod and say, 'Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest').

By the way, has anyone beaten the Ruby Weapon in FFVII without spending insane amounts of time building up materia levels and such?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheAxeGrinder
By the way, has anyone beaten the Ruby Weapon in FFVII without spending insane amounts of time building up materia levels and such?
Oh crap, is that the desert one? I never came close to and I had party at 99. However the water one, I could beat it once with a friend. Good fight.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Final Fantasy VI (or III in Snes) always will have a special place in my heart
Great Story, Great Characters, Great music... just great.

-SPOILERS-

By the way, anyone else thinks that Shadow maybe is Relm's father?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheAxeGrinder
I'm not sure that's even possible to defeat it without maxing certain materia. Emerald and Ruby weapon were added to the U.S. FFVII as a little something extra for those of us who beat the hell out of our RPGs. Ruby Weapon is essentially one of those bosses that requires HUGE amounts of nasty thrown at them in order to overcome. Phoenix, Knights of the Round, the Master materia. You have to go for broke when tackling this bastard.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Halloween
Final Fantasy VI (or III in Snes) always will have a special place in my heart
Great Story, Great Characters, Great music... just great.

-SPOILERS-

By the way, anyone else thinks that Shadow maybe is Relm's father?

Hmm...I only thought of the Shadow/Relm connection only through Interceptor....intresting point, Dead Halloween. I used to have some theory, but then I got caught up in some other and stuff and it was kicked out of my head.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Quote:
I'm not sure that's even possible to defeat it without maxing certain materia. Emerald and Ruby weapon were added to the U.S. FFVII as a little something extra for those of us who beat the hell out of our RPGs. Ruby Weapon is essentially one of those bosses that requires HUGE amounts of nasty thrown at them in order to overcome. Phoenix, Knights of the Round, the Master materia. You have to go for broke when tackling this bastard.
Um, I believe my friend tried for a year to do this, unsuccessfully. I bleive he had develeoped a way to do Knights of The Round Table five times in a row. (Double-cut, copy materia), and also 4-x cut with all his characters attacks (9999 x4 in a row). SO you could imagine how badass he was, being able to deliver all that damage in one hit, and he still couldnt come close.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjohnson
Um, I believe my friend tried for a year to do this, unsuccessfully. I bleive he had develeoped a way to do Knights of The Round Table five times in a row. (Double-cut, copy materia), and also 4-x cut with all his characters attacks (9999 x4 in a row). SO you could imagine how badass he was, being able to deliver all that damage in one hit, and he still couldnt come close.
Christ it must be ridiculously impossible . . .
Old 05-01-2004, 05:16 PM
Quote:
and your limit breaks will causing damage THROUGH the roof.
No shit . . . ahh, "Lionheart". I knew it BETTER be as good as it was after all the trouble I went trough to get that damn weapon (which is, imo, the physically coolest one in the series).
Old 05-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Christ it must be ridiculously impossible . . .
No, just VERY hard.

taken from the UNAUTHORIZED FFVII Strategy Guide:
"Compared to Ruby, Emmy's a snap. You'll have to use the same basic strategy here, but things are complicated by the fact that Ruby's initial attacks tend to suck away two random party members, leaving but one character alive to face the challenge. Even worse, Ruby Weapon is completely invulnerable in the early part of the battle, and you'll probably have to waste one casting of Knights of the Round on Ruby's arm stalks, lest they suck away all of your MP.
You basically have two options here. One is to load up one character with Knights, W-Summon, Mimic, Final Attack + Revive (which requires less MP than Phoenix, and is more efficient if you only have one charcter), the Shield Materia (it's completely invaluable on this fight), a Ribbon (to prevent the confuse condition Ruby likes to cause), and the Mystile armor (no armor will allow you to survive Ruby's repeated casting of the Ultima spell, but Mystile's high magic evasion rate gives you about a 50/50 chance of dodging it). Fight with Ruby over and over again until that character is the lucky one she allows to live, and then get the combo started. You can start hitting Ruby from the moment the stalks appear, although at that point the stalks themselves should be your #1 priority. Cast Shield on yourself to keep your chosen character alive while you pull off the combo, then cast Knights at the stalks once and at Ruby once, mimic it until your shield gives out, then have a Turbo Ether or Elixir and start it over again. Ruby will kill you repeatedly, but you can stand to die once for each level of your Final Attack materia… More than that, and you know what'll happen. The other option is to just keep fighting that red data animal until she allows two or more characters to stay in the fight, something that happens randomly, and not very often."

By "Combo" they mean have someone use W-Summon to cast Knights twice and then have the others mime that, even the original caster. Honestly, Ruby Weapon was probably the hardest boss in a FF game that I've ever had to defeat (Omega Weapon in FFX didn't even come close) but it definitely wasn't impossible.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:35 PM
Wow.

I remember Omega Weapon in FFVIII. It wasn't hard unless you wanted to Draw Eden (the best GF) and if you did, you had to have Aura on you so you can Lionheart it's ass. Not an easy task.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Wow.

I remember Omega Weapon in FFVIII. It wasn't hard unless you wanted to Draw Eden (the best GF) and if you did, you had to have Aura on you so you can Lionheart it's ass. Not an easy task.
It's Ultima Weapon you get Eden from, not Omega.

But, yeah, the guy was a tough motherfucker. I expect it's not as hard as Omega, though.

Last edited by my_name_is_neo; 05-02-2004 at 01:29 PM..
Old 05-02-2004, 08:42 PM
The problem with Omega is that the spoils from the battle just blows. The only real reason I did it was to stock up on powerful magic before Ultimacia....and she was a semi-pushover, too.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by my_name_is_neo
It's Ultima Weapon you get Eden from, not Omega.

But, yeah, the guy was a tough motherfucker. I expect it's not as hard as Omega, though.
You're very right. *bows*

However. Which one was Omega? I forgot.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 AM
Quote:
You're very right. *bows*

However. Which one was Omega? I forgot.
Omega Weapon was the one at Utimecia's Castle. Ultima Weapon was the one at the Deep Sea Research Facility.

Haven't actually fought it or anything. I have beaten Ultima, though.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by my_name_is_neo
Omega Weapon was the one at Utimecia's Castle. Ultima Weapon was the one at the Deep Sea Research Facility.

Haven't actually fought it or anything. I have beaten Ultima, though.
Ah yes, of course. That was the one in the balcony I think . . . or the one you needed to do a lot of things to fight him (some stuff with the piano and whatnot if I'm not mustaken).

Ah . . . I love this game.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Just played FFT again so good
Old 05-06-2004, 11:15 PM
Im confused whats FFT
Old 05-07-2004, 10:33 AM
I've found this pic from what it seem to be Tifa from the upcoming FFVII Movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tifa.jpg (30.0 KB, 265 views)
Old 05-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Im confused whats FFT
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Never liked it.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Halloween
I've found this pic from what it seem to be Tifa from the upcoming FFVII Movie.

Huh.
The pic on the left is fantastic. The right seems off. But the pics are bad quality anyways, so I can't tell. See, I was initially worried that since this is STV the CGI couldn't be THAT good, because it would cost too much and they couldn't turn in a profit.
Maybe I'm wrong.

But Tifa looks like Tifa, at least facially, so thank god they aren't changing everyone's appearance too much (with the exception of barret).