Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2004, 02:27 AM
MLB offseason thread.

Well, it seem that we have a pretty good free agent list this year.

Here are a few of my predictions on where the big names will go.

Pedro Martinez: Yankees
Manny Ramirez: Mets or Angels
Randy Johnson: Dodgers
Adrian Beltre: Dodgers
Nomar Garciaparra: Cubs
Sammy Sosa: Mets or Angels
JD Drew: Braves
Russ Ortiz: White Sox
Jaret Wright: Orioles
Magglio Ordonez: Twins
Vinny Castilla: Rockies
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Sosa isnt a free agent.

As for Nomar, I dont expect him to stay in Chicago.

And Alou, I expect him to join his dad in San Fran.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2004, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13
Sosa isnt a free agent.

As for Nomar, I dont expect him to stay in Chicago.

And Alou, I expect him to join his dad in San Fran.
Add Manny to the Non free agant list. No one took him for free last year so I don't see him going anywhere now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-02-2004, 07:57 PM
Pedro to the Yankees?

I find it more likely that he'd go to LA and Randy Johnson would go to NY, especially after Pedro expressed desire to play

A) In the national league
B) In a warm climate
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Isn't Ransy Johnson still under contract with Arizona for another year.

Also add Carlos Delgado to that free agent list he will get a lot of attention but he has expressed his desire to stay in Toronto but Baltimore is expected to bid for his services.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jackson13
Sosa isnt a free agent.
You're right, I meant to say that he'd be traded. I don't see him staying after all the controvery.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-04-2004, 10:59 AM
No shit, I was just about to start a similar thread.

I feel that the BoSox will...

1) sign Varitek
2) sign Petie (aka The Diva aka Captain Curls aka Pedro Martinez)
3) sign either Barry Larkin or Omar Vizquel (sp?) (Cabrera, sadly will want too much dough... too bad... I LOVED that dude )
4) sign Brad Radke to replace Derek Lowe
5) sign Gabe Kapler

everyone else on that team that is a free agent is GONE...

As for the other big names on the market, who knows. I think that Nomar will sign a one year deal with the Cubbies (like everyone is reporting, to reestablish his market value after an injury-plagued season). I can see Pravano signing with the Yank-me's. Beltran may very well stay put in Houston.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyKillah
I feel that the BoSox will...

1) sign Varitek
2) sign Petie (aka The Diva aka Captain Curls aka Pedro Martinez)
3) sign either Barry Larkin or Omar Vizquel (sp?) (Cabrera, sadly will want too much dough... too bad... I LOVED that dude )
4) sign Brad Radke to replace Derek Lowe
5) sign Gabe Kapler

everyone else on that team that is a free agent is GONE...

As for the other big names on the market, who knows. I think that Nomar will sign a one year deal with the Cubbies (like everyone is reporting, to reestablish his market value after an injury-plagued season). I can see Pavano signing with the Yank-me's. Beltran may very well stay put in Houston.
I can pretty much see that but I have learned to expect anything when it comes to the off season. With the rumored words that Nomar thew out about being open to switching posistions, 2nd base anyone?, we could see the sickist infield in the history of the planet in NY. Again, I wouldnt be surprised, not since Nim-Rod switched.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by free
You're right, I meant to say that he'd be traded. I don't see him staying after all the controvery.
Sosa I think is virtually untradeable he makes I believe close to $40 million the next 2 years and pretty much the only team that can take that is reallly The Yankees.

Also how the fuck does Derek Jeter win a gold glove award for what? And Brett Boone over Orlando Hudson yeah it really looks like they pick these awards for defense.

And 4 days after they hired Wally Backman the Diamondbacks fired him. That's got to be the shortest managerial stint in MLB history.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Jeter got it for one play, and one play only...his face smashing grab in the stands. It was pretty impressive. But Gold Glove, he is not.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
Jeter got it for one play, and one play only...his face smashing grab in the stands. It was pretty impressive. But Gold Glove, he is not.
It's just dad that Omar Visquel gets screwed of a gold glove by Derek Jeter who obviously dosen't deserve it.

I was glad they finally gave Vernon Wells a gold glove which he should have gotten last year. He may very well be the best player the Blue Jays have ever produced.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2004, 02:40 PM
The AL & NL Rookie of the year awards were announced and with really no surprise the AL winner was Bobby Crosby of the A's and Jason Bay of the Pirates. Bay is the first Canadian to win a rookie of the year award good for him.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Pedro is not going to the Yankees guys, he promised he wouldn't...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Personally, I think it would be awesome if Nomar went to the Yankees (doubtful it'd happen, but...), because look at the lineup:

1B: Giambi
2B: Garciaparra
3B: Rodriguez
SS: Jeter

That's 150 homers right there, if they have good seasons.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
Personally, I think it would be awesome if Nomar went to the Yankees (doubtful it'd happen, but...), because look at the lineup:

1B: Giambi
2B: Garciaparra
3B: Rodriguez
SS: Jeter

That's 150 homers right there, if they have good seasons.
Call me crazy(killah), but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we've seen the last of Jason Giambi, or at least the last of a good Jason Giambi. This season was the beginning of the end for him.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13
The AL & NL Rookie of the year awards were announced and with really no surprise the AL winner was Bobby Crosby of the A's and Jason Bay of the Pirates. Bay is the first Canadian to win a rookie of the year award good for him.
Also the first Pirate to win. Can't disagree with these picks.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Well Roger Clemens won his 7th Cy Young award today getting 23 of the 32 first place votes and 140 points and was the only pitcher named on all 32 ballots. Randy Johnson got 8 first place votes and 97 points.

Clemens teammate Roy Oswalt got the other first place vote. I was kind of hoping Johnson would win it but I'm not surprised Clemens won the award
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13
Well Roger Clemens won his 7th Cy Young award today getting 23 of the 32 first place votes and 140 points and was the only pitcher named on all 32 ballots. Randy Johnson got 8 first place votes and 97 points.

Clemens teammate Roy Oswalt got the other first place vote. I was kind of hoping Johnson would win it but I'm not surprised Clemens won the award
The sick thing is, The Rocket was left for dead all those years ago when he had 4 subpar years in a row...only to win 4 more Cy Youngs since then. Amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
The sick thing is, The Rocket was left for dead all those years ago when he had 4 subpar years in a row...only to win 4 more Cy Youngs since then. Amazing.
The even amazing thing is that Clemens' winning percentage is better then when he left Boston is just wierd and strange like MLB writers deciding that the NL Cy Young award is now the most valuable pitcher in the NL.

I'm not surprised somewhat that Clemens got the award for some sentimental stuff about Clemens being 42 able to pitch like thatbut look at the stats the only one that Clemens has Johnson beat in is wins.

The AL Cy young will be tough Curt Shilling and Johan Santana had great seasons but Santana's are better except for the 1 more win Schilling has.

Speaking of Schilling and Arizona whoever Arizona's GM is that made that Schilling trade is seriously on crack I don't know who the hell Bosotn gave up to get Schilling but Arizona fucking lost big time in that deal I don't even remember who Arizona got back.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-10-2004, 10:38 PM
I don't see Drew coming back to Atlanta. Scott Boros is his agent and he set himself up for a huge contract after the excellent season he put in last year. Most likely out of the Braves' current middle of the pack price range.

Being a middle market team with fans who don't give a fuck really sucks, folks
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-10-2004, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by horrorfreak13


Speaking of Schilling and Arizona whoever Arizona's GM is that made that Schilling trade is seriously on crack I don't know who the hell Bosotn gave up to get Schilling but Arizona fucking lost big time in that deal I don't even remember who Arizona got back.
noone, he was a free agent
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by daddiefatsacks
noone, he was a free agent
It was a trade. The Sox sent Casey Fossum and Brandon Lyon to the D Backs for The Schill.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-11-2004, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
It was a trade. The Sox sent Casey Fossum and Brandon Lyon to the D Backs for The Schill.
my bad

*explodes*
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Haddonfield
It was a trade. The Sox sent Casey Fossum and Brandon Lyon to the D Backs for The Schill.
HAHAHAHA!!!!! God did Arizona get fucked in that deal or what?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Well the AL Cy Young award winner was announced today and it was no surprise that it was Johan Santana and it wasn't even close as Santana got all 28 first place votes and Curt Schilling got all but 1 of the 2nd place votes. Really no surprise at all.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-11-2004, 05:48 PM
Good deal. I always liked Santana, and it's nice seeing the young guy getting the hardware.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-12-2004, 07:38 PM
ESPN has put up their Top 50 Free Agents..

They expect the Braves to keep J.D. Drew, Jaret Wright, and sign Armando Benitez and Bob Wickman. My first question is, why would they sign two closer? Besides, they will probably get Alfonseca back and use him as a closer if Smoltz goes back to the rotation. I don't see them having the money to sign Drew, who will get upwards of 10 mil a year, Wright, you should get 6-10 mil, and Benitez who would want around 5-6 mil. Wickman would be more of a reality, but I think he will stay in Cleveland.

I actually wish Atlanta would concentrate on signing Ortiz. He had a pretty bad second half, which brought down his value, and he is a veteran pitcher with a history of winning. He has the most wins of anyone besides Schilling since 2000. Besides, Wright had his best year ever last year, and won 15 games, while Ortiz had a semi-bad year and won 15.

Does anyone really think Carlos Beltran will get a 10-year contract?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-12-2004, 08:00 PM
If I was a baseball GM, I wouldn't give ANY player a 10-year contract. No matter what happens, you'll never trade him without eating tons of salary.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-12-2004, 11:38 PM
The Dodgers need to stay away from overpaying Beltre. Sign him to a year for around 9-11 million and see how he does. Do not want to have another Shawn Green on their hands.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-14-2004, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by free
ESPN has put up their Top 50 Free Agents..

They expect the Braves to keep J.D. Drew, Jaret Wright, and sign Armando Benitez and Bob Wickman. My first question is, why would they sign two closer? Besides, they will probably get Alfonseca back and use him as a closer if Smoltz goes back to the rotation. I don't see them having the money to sign Drew, who will get upwards of 10 mil a year, Wright, you should get 6-10 mil, and Benitez who would want around 5-6 mil. Wickman would be more of a reality, but I think he will stay in Cleveland.

I actually wish Atlanta would concentrate on signing Ortiz. He had a pretty bad second half, which brought down his value, and he is a veteran pitcher with a history of winning. He has the most wins of anyone besides Schilling since 2000. Besides, Wright had his best year ever last year, and won 15 games, while Ortiz had a semi-bad year and won 15.
Benitez? Oh, God...

Agreed on Russ. I like him, a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Apparently Omar Vizquel has signed or is close to signing a three-year, 12.25 million dollar contract with The Giants.

Seems to fit pretty well.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-14-2004, 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by brodeurnumber1
The Dodgers need to stay away from overpaying Beltre. Sign him to a year for around 9-11 million and see how he does. Do not want to have another Shawn Green on their hands.
He really started to turn it on late in 2003 when they got Robin Ventura. I guess he was afraid of losing his job.

I think that rumored Pizza for Green trade would be a disaster for the Dodgers. Pizza can't catch, can't play first, and has been declining every year for the past few, and Green is still younger than him, and still a viable 40-40 man, IMO. If the Dodgers really want to dump Green's contract, they should at least get a few descent prospects, instead of an almost-done catcher.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bob
Apparently Omar Vizquel has signed or is close to signing a three-year, 12.25 million dollar contract with The Giants.

Seems to fit pretty well.
Yeah, I just read that on ESPN.

I thought San Fransico would go after Nomar pretty hard, to give Bonds some protection. After Bonds, the best non-pitcher on the team was Grissom, who still puts up 20-80 numbers, but isn't known for his power, and does strike out a lot. For San Fran to win, IMO, they need to get a starting pitcher, and another bat.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Well, what a surprise, Barry Bonds won the NL MVP.

I really think we need to re-learn the word, valuable.

If Barry bonds doesn't play this year, the Giants still don't make the playoffs. If Adrian Beltre doesn't play this year, the Dodgers don't make the playoffs. Say goes for Pujols, Rolen, Edmonds, even J.D. Drew was more valuable to the Braves than Bonds was to the Giants.

Player of the Year: Barry Bonds (arguably)
MVP: Adrian Beltre or Albert Pujols

Last edited by free; 11-15-2004 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-15-2004, 04:00 PM
no friggin way man, Beltre deserved this WAY more
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Well the AL MVP winner is Vladimir Guerrero of the Anaheim Angels
Guerrero got 21 of the 28 first place votes with Gary Sheffield finishing 2nd with 5 first place votes and Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz each got 1 first place vote.

Very well deserved.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Vinny Castilla and Christian Guzman have signed with the Expos.

Pretty agressive for the team of limbo...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Wickman resigned with the Indians today, according to the info ribbon at the bottom of the telecast of ESPN News.

Too bad, I'd have liked to have had him in the ATL.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Well, Benitez signed with the Giants, Millar and Moeller signed with the Brewers, and the Braves still haven't signed JD Drew.

Actually, I was reading an article that said the agents for both Ortiz and Wright confirmed that Atlanta has offered them contracts, but they were no where near their price range, and that JD wants somewhere around 10-12 million a year on a 3 or 4 year contract.

Eli Marrero, Charles Thomas, and Jose Capellan here we go!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Don't know that that would be a bad thing. Drew went into Witness Protection in October and Wright seems (IMHO) unlikely to repeat 2004's success.

I understand the Yankees are throwing more of their ill-gotten lucre at him (maybe a lot, if they can successfully push Giambi off the subway platform.) If they want to redo the Chris Hammond experience, maybe we should let them.

Say it with me, my friends: The Braves need an OWNER.

Y'know...an actual flesh and blood person, who makes decisions, an' signs checks an' stuff?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump