Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > DVD, Blu-Ray & Home Theater Discussion
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MacReady
Wages of Fear to Be Rereleased in Late 2005
The original Criterion edition of Henri-Georges Clouzot’s masterpiece of suspense Wages Of Fear will be taken out of print on May 16 to make room for an all new DVD edition of the film. The rerelease, due out in late 2005, will feature a brilliant transfer from newly restored film elements. Keep an eye on this space for more details in the coming months!

*wipes sweat off forehead*

I was in a deadlock between ordering that or Vagabond.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Time for its monthly (or bi) update!

I'll just re-post the August releases, seeing as we all missed them..

(I recall someone's fan-art looking exactly like that..)

Just Criterion releasing the titles that don't push Christmas units.

Now, September, a glorious month, looking like so...

Bad Timing (Roeg)
The Man Who Fell To Earth (Roeg)
Masculin féminin (Godard)
Naked (Leigh)
An Angel at My Table (Campion)

I'm looking to nab Naked and Bowie near its release date, and eventually purchase the new Godard.

Last edited by Tayzlor; 08-03-2005 at 12:43 AM..
Old 07-12-2005, 09:55 PM
I'll defintely anticipating Naked. Althought I didn't like The Man Who Fell To Earth, there's enough glorious, gratiutous nudity to make me happy to get it (still don't see much need after the rather good Anchor Bay release). Finally, when will Godard ever help out Criterion to make one of his releases a director approved DVD? At least a new interview would be nice.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Finally, when will Godard ever help out Criterion to make one of his releases a director approved DVD? At least a new interview would be nice.
He's too busy naming Vivre sa vie the sixth best film of 1962. I also heard he likes to play tennis.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 AM
October releases!

Between September and October, I will be dead broke.
Actually I'm probably just excited about the newness of the titles, and probably won't buy them until a few months later...but STILL, these are great looking titles.

Kill!
Sword of the Beast
Samurai Spy
Samurai Rebellion

Le Samourai
Wages of Fear (rerelease)

The four samurai films do come in a box set, if you want all four for a cheaper price, but they are not connected. Also, from what I understand, Criterion also plans on releasing Pickpocket in November.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Cover art....

Old 08-05-2005, 11:04 PM
The first 5 look way too alike.

And is that all they have to put on the new release of Wages Of Fear? Jam that motherfucker with all the goodies man.

Anyway I'm still infuriatated that I had to cut down on my spending followed with the recent cancelation of my DVDs after waiting several months for them (thus causing me to look for them in order to finally get them at a muchhigher price somewhere else thus disrupting my plans for future buys) by a cocksucking online DVD retailer.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Quote:
The first 5 look way too alike.
Perhaps because the first four are coming in a box-set, which I heard, will be in the same vein as the "Great Adaptations" set with no spine-number.

But Criterion's covers have seemed uninspired as of late. The Godson cover does look like it wants to be apart of that samurai set.

And the atrocious "The Man Who Fell to Earth" cover is well-documented.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:43 PM
The Man Who Fell To Earth's cover sucks, yes, but I think the worst is the Masculin-Feminin cover, which I think looks absolutely terrible. I can't wait to see Naked, or Pickpocket, hopefully they'll release that. Le Samourai is one of my favorite foreign movies, I'll buy that as soon as it comes out.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Saruman
How come hardly anything recognizable gets a Criterion? Who picks these films?

I am with you on this one.. Criterion releases some beautiful discs, beautiful packaging - very sophisticated, beautiful transfers, and very fucking weird movies.. I am in love with independent cinema and I am sorry but a lot of these people are far too weird for their own good.. they go overboard and it doesn't feel profound nor interesting because they are trying far TOO hard to be artsy when it should just come naturally from the material.. a lot of these movies feel very forced to me.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:21 AM
New releases, both for NOVEMBER:

(I don't know how to insert the images from the criterion website, so I just gave the link)

Kenji Mizoguchi's UGETSU

Powell & Pressburger's THE TALES OF HOFFMAN

Both covers look good to me. More releases will probably come soon, because Ugetsu is spine #309 and Tales of Hoffman is #317.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HilfigerB2
I am with you on this one.. Criterion releases some beautiful discs, beautiful packaging - very sophisticated, beautiful transfers, and very fucking weird movies.. I am in love with independent cinema and I am sorry but a lot of these people are far too weird for their own good.. they go overboard and it doesn't feel profound nor interesting because they are trying far TOO hard to be artsy when it should just come naturally from the material.. a lot of these movies feel very forced to me.
The thign that bothers me is when they call movies that no one's ever heard of "classics". Even if they deserve to be classics, which is often true, I think it's important that a classic (unless it's a cult classic) is well known, which these Samurai films, to my knowledge, are not. More of a pet peeve than something that seriously annoys me, but whatever.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:47 AM
Man, the November releases look absolutely tasty thus far. That Ugetsu is a first dayer. Criterion is really turning it up this fall.

I guess this isn't on the site, but the new version of Ran is also coming out in November.

So, for November, three monstrous releases (Ran, Pickpocket, Ugetsu) and a major release but minor Powellburger. Godard's Pierrot le Fou is also rumored along with a Louis Malle boxset.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tayzlor
So, for November, three monstrous releases (Ran, Pickpocket, Ugetsu) and a major release but minor Powellburger. Godard's Pierrot le Fou is also rumored along with a Louis Malle boxset.
Turning it up indeed. My next online pruchases were going to be the only 2 Powell and Pressburgers not currently in my possesion but Crition simply moved too fast for me to catch up. I'm going to have a very expensive christmas.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:33 PM
If they release Pierrot La Fou, I will be a happy man indeed.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:02 AM
A Criterion issue of Ran? This is kinda frustrating, I'd like to know what's on it to see how it compares to the copy I already have.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:22 AM
from criterionco.com:

Ran Special Features:

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

New, restored high-definition digital transfer

Audio commentary by Kurosawa scholar Stephen Prince

An appreciation of the film by director Sidney Lumet (Network, Dog Day Afternoon)

A.K., a 74-minute film by director Chris Marker (La jetée, Sans soleil), examining the making of Ran

Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create, a 37-minute documentary on the making of Ran, created as part of the Toho Masterworks series

Image: Kurosawa’s Continuity, a 35-minute video piece recon_structing Ran through Akira Kurosawa’s paintings and sketches

New video interview with actor Tatsuya Nakadai

Original theatrical trailer

New essay by film critic Michael Wilmington

New and improved English subtitle translation

More!
Old 09-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking about ordering the Samauri series are they any good?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 AM
I caught a bit of the samurai movie "Kill!" on IFC about a year ago and it's always stayed in my mind as something I would definitely buy when it came out on DVD. What I saw of it was awesome.

And when I saw it among Criterion's list about a month ago I almost shit myself.

Those who made comments along the lines of, "no one has heard of these movies", "they're too arty", etc. are obviously being either naive or knowingly too general for their own good. Those who really do their "movie homework" already know about some such titles and probably, like me, appreciate that such lost art, no matter the quality in their eyes, is being reborn on DVD. And obviously being on DVD for the first time will give it a whole new audience and fanbase as well, so no matter how you look at it, "no one" is a far cry from the truth.

Finally, "no one's" forcing anyone else to be a Criterion fan here, so if you don't like their collection, get out of the thread! (Just playing.)

Last edited by the movie guy; 09-07-2005 at 06:35 AM..
Old 09-07-2005, 03:56 PM

Old 09-07-2005, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Done and done.

Truffaut, along with Capra and Welles, is a director I really need to pick up on soon.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:34 PM
Shoot the Piano Player's a good one, I might pick it up, and I'll see Pickpocket at some poiont. Two mighty fine covers, too.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Update.

December

January

also....

John Ford's Young Mr. Lincoln
Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring
Vittorio De Sica's The Children Are Watching

And the Criterion Newsletter confirms 2006 releases for Jacques Tati'sPlaytime and Walt (Whilt?) Stillman's Metropolitan

Last edited by Tayzlor; 10-28-2005 at 08:32 PM..
Old 10-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Here's the cover for "The Young Mr. Lincoln".

Also, I believe the following titles have been confirmed in the 2006 Criterion Catalog insert (for February I'm assuming).

La Bête Humaine (Jean Renoir)
Mr. Arkadin (Orson Welles)
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Robert Hamer)
Old 10-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Criterion release of Kind Hearts and Coronets, now that is sexy. There are some amazing titles coming out soon I might have to stop buying regular dvds for awhile and save up. Not the biggest fan of Mr. Arkadin but Welles on Criterion is a must have for me. Shoot the Piano Player and Young Mr. Lincoln are both must haves as well.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Oh my, I just bought Le Samourai and I will buy:

Shoot the Piano Player- Nevermind, I've never seen this flick. I mixed it up with some other. I really dig Truffaut but have not seen many of his films. Jules and Jim and 400 Blows were two really good ones, but then Piano Playe I thought was fairly mediocre.

The Bad Sleep Well - A friend of mine said this was amazing last year and I'll take his word. This will be my first *blind bought* criterion dvd.

Ran - Not Kurosawas best but in his top 5.
Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Red Beard
Ran
Kagemushu

Young Mr. Lincoln looks all right and Mr. Arkadin is a great Welles movie.

Last edited by dman476; 12-07-2005 at 08:22 PM..
Old 11-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Some more upcoming titles..

Haven't heard of the movie or the director, but the cover does look good.

Okay, and more importantly..

From the Criterion February Titles Press Release (via criterionforum.org):

Banned in Spain and denounced by the Vatican, surrealist genius Luis Buñuel's hilarious vision of life as a beggar's banquet is regarded by many as his masterpiece. Young novice Viridiana does her utmost to maintain her Catholic principles, but her lecherous uncle and a motley assemblage of paupers force her to confront the limits of her idealism. Winner of the Palme d'or at the 1961 Cannes Film Festival, this anticlerical free-for-all is as shocking today as ever.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:26 PM
The cover for both The Children Are Watching and the recently confirmed La Bete Humaine

Old 11-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Here are the covers for "Kind Hearts and Coronets" and "Viridiana", both buyable releases with exceptional covers.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Want to ignore the February releases, do ya?

How 'bout March? Care to remain passive over this....

or these....

Also in March,

Fists in the Pocket

About as great as a first third they could muster, all worth buying or blind-buying, albeit my suspicion over "Metropolitan" still remains. The Malle set is the ultimate culmination, as I've been wanting to those movies for awhile, plus Malle is someone I need to check out (I love "My Dinner with Andre").

"Fists in the Pocket" is a great release, mostly due to its anonymity.

Not much to be added, 'cept '06 will bring re-releases of

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Can't wait to pick up Mr. Arkadin.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Mr. Arkadin is a must buy for me, but no Malle for me.
I've seen one of his films, namely Lacombe Lucien, at a retrospective show on him at one of the museums next to me. After that, I've vowed to not see any more of his films for at least ten years. I don't reccomend you see them yet because no matter how good the films are, they are brutal and just, uh, I couldn't watch them.

Have you seen "Kind Hearts and Coronets" or "Viridiana?"
It looks pretty good and Bunuel is always a good bet. While I have also not heard anything about Metropolitan, but Criterion's releasing it so it can't be all bad.

While a Sanjuro, Yojimbo, and Seven Samurai double dip seems lovely. Can't wait for those, thanks for the update Tayzlor.
Oh crap, I just saw that Mr. Arkadin is 50 bucks.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:06 PM
I will be getting the Malle boxset, but I don't think I'll be getting Fists In The Pocket anytime soon. Needless to say, I'm actually happy they released a totally normal and average looking movie (god, that's one of their weakest plot layout ever).
Old 12-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Quote:

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro. [/B]
No Hidden Fortress?
Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 AM
Quote:

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro.
I was about to put SEVEN SAMURAI on my Christmas wishlist, but good thing I didn't.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bluesbrother965
No Hidden Fortress?
Well, Hiddden Fortress had a good transfer and one respectable feature. Besides, it's not one of his most famous ala Seven Samurai, yet I find it to be better than Sanjuro.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Quote:

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro.
Nice, I'm glad I waited. Will be picking up all 3 of those... I better start saving up.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
Well, Hiddden Fortress had a good transfer and one respectable feature. Besides, it's not one of his most famous ala Seven Samurai, yet I find it to be better than Sanjuro.
Yeah, but I was wondering because it's the other movie in the "Four Samurai Classics" set. Is it likely that they'll make a new set that features the updated versions of the other three?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bluesbrother965
Yeah, but I was wondering because it's the other movie in the "Four Samurai Classics" set. Is it likely that they'll make a new set that features the updated versions of the other three?
Honestly as far as I know, Criterion doesn't bundle dvds that often unless it's some sort of "exclusive."
It very possibly could but who knows, I'm sure we'll find out when final details will be given. I think we'll get them in about three months, but if they do make it into a set, I think it's safe to say I'd buy it.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 AM
April releases (the Ozu may be May)