Old 07-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Top Five King favorites

I know theres been a Stephen king tournement thread, but I wanna know, what are his five best books EVER. From the Schmoes themselves. I know either the Stand or IT will make it on the top 2 of each list, but I have yet to read The Stand and actually dont plan to for a long time. I havene read all of his books either, but I have read alot. So heres my list:

1: IT
2: Pet Semetary
3: Salems Lot
4: Christine
5: The Long Walk
Old 07-21-2005, 02:13 PM
1. The Talisman.
2. IT.
3. Black House.
4. Dark Tower: The Gunslinger.

. . . that's it.
I'm going to read The Stand a few weeks from now, though.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
1. IT
2. The Stand
3. Dreamcatcher
4. Bag Of Bones
5. Misery
Old 07-21-2005, 11:28 PM
1. Christine
2. It
3. Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
4. Skeleton Crew
5. Geralds Game
Old 07-21-2005, 11:46 PM
1. IT
2. Pet Semetary
3. The Stand
4. The Dead Zone
5. Desperation

Last edited by C-Desecration-; 07-21-2005 at 11:49 PM..
Old 07-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Stupid IT not going anywhere under 2nd place.

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Desecration-
1. IT
2. Pet Semetary
3. The Stand
4. The Dead Zone
5. Desperation
Really? You like Pet Semetary over Stand?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:05 AM
1. The Long Walk

2. The Talisman

3. The Stand

4. Bag of Bones

5. The Drawing of the Three/The Wastelands
Old 07-22-2005, 01:30 AM
1. Misery
2. Drawing of the Three
3. Eyes of the Dragon
4. Bag of Bones
5. Desperation

It's funny... after making this list, I realized how I read all his books but none of them stand out particularly prominently for me.

I LIKE his books, but don't really LOVE any of them. It's an epiphany for me.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 07-22-2005 at 01:38 AM..
Old 07-22-2005, 08:55 AM
I liked pet over stand, just because pet affected me much more emotionally. The only King book that freaked me out.

And I'm surprised bag is getting a lot of love. I really didn't like how they handled mattie when all was said and done. It was sloppy and unsatisfying, especially when it should have been very emotional. I also found the end conversation between mike and jo's brother to be bordering on ridiculous.
Otherwise, I liked it, even if the end didn't sit well for me.
And I'll pretend you two up there just haven't read IT, or some other strange phenomina that kept it out of your top two. Yes. . .
Old 07-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Quote:
... And I'll pretend you two up there just haven't read IT, or some other strange phenomina that kept it out of your top two. Yes. . .
Aw, yes, I haven't read It in about 6 years. Back then, it was only my second time reading it, too....

So, what I mean to say is, if I picked it up right now and read it, It would jump to NUMBER ONE, no doubt about it!
Old 07-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Quote:
What was the eventual incarnation of the ghost in bag of bones called again? I believe it was the Outsider? Something along those lines? I was wondering if that was an entity from the dark tower series, since King has a way of putting his books in one big old universe with the DT,so I was curious.
You know what, I don't remember. But I will go ahead and say "yes, it is another Dark Tower reference", because pretty much after 1997, all his books relied more heavily on referencing the Dark Tower world. At least, his nods to the series became a lot more painfully obvious (but I don't mind, since I love the Dark Tower series so much).
Old 07-22-2005, 04:28 PM
Uh... read the post above yours, which is my reply to you.

Wierd and wacky STEPHEN KING-like horror has made the post go above yours!!

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 07-22-2005 at 05:42 PM..
Old 07-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Quote:
So, what I mean to say is, if I picked it up right now and read it, It would jump to NUMBER ONE, no doubt about it!

Excellent, that's exactly what I thought.
Oh look, Clueless is on.

But, I do have a question for you guys that have read both Bones and the Dark Tower too, and this isn't really a spoiler, so I won't start flashing the red warning lights.
What was the eventual incarnation of the ghost in bag of bones called again? I believe it was the Outsider? Something along those lines? I was wondering if that was an entity from the dark tower series, since King has a way of putting his books in one big old universe with the DT, and the entity came rather. . .oddly, so I was curious.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Quote:
You know what, I don't remember. But I will go ahead and say "yes, it is another Dark Tower reference", because pretty much after 1997, all his books relied more heavily on referencing the Dark Tower world. At least, his nods to the series became a lot more painfully obvious (but I don't mind, since I love the Dark Tower series so much).

There was some list in these forums where I'm pretty sure all the books with major connections to the DT universe were listed, but then I can't find it. Anybody know? So far I'm not a huge fan of the books, although I liked the second and loved Blaine the mono, but it's the curiosity thing. Again.
At least I don't have a cat.

Now that my dazzling humor has confuse everyone, I also want to ask about The Turtle in DT, if you remember him in IT or any other schmoe. I remember him being mentioned in the DT books I read, but does he ever play an actual part in any DT story other than mentions?
Or, so I don't just sit here asking schmoes, anyone know of a handy dandy site that might spell all this out for me?
Old 07-22-2005, 04:34 PM
What on earth is going on with these fourms!
I post, they vanish, then reappear minutes later, or if I edit the edit doesn't show until sometimes hours later, I just . . .

What is going on? It's the apocalypse isn't it? I knew it! Goddamn it.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:08 PM
In this order.

1. IT
2. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (surprised no ones said this yet)
3. The Stand
4. Bag Of Bones
5. The Gunslinger (only just finished this, I'll see how the rest of the saga goes)

I've read every Stephen King book (apart from the rest of the Dark Tower series). My dads been a huge fan of his work for about 25 years, so he got me into him.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:14 PM
You talk about a crazy man like SK. Crazy things happen C.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:11 AM
1) Pet Sematery

2) Hearts in Atlantis

3) Cycle of the werewolf

4) the Dark half

5) Misery
Old 07-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KcMsterpce
I disliked that, I hated how they inserted the DT universe into "Black House". So Speedy is a . . . yeah . . . uh huh . . . ZZzzZZzzZZzz.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:42 AM
I also loved the short story Hearts in Atlantis, but wouldn't rate the book overall one of my favs.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:38 AM
1.stand
2.salem's lot
3.the shining
4.needful things
5.christine

ciao
drdash
Old 07-24-2005, 02:39 AM
My aunt just gave to me "The Eyes Of The Dragon", is that any good at all?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
My aunt just gave to me "The Eyes Of The Dragon", is that any good at all?
Read it as if you're 13 years old, and it's awesome.
I love it so much because it's a fairly quick read, and a great story to boot.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:26 PM
First of all, in referance to what C-Descretion was saying about the Turtle from IT, he is mentioned alot in the DT books as he is a Guardian of the Beams, but he also has a slightly relevant part to play in Song of Sussanah (DT 6).

My Top 5 is:
[list=1][*]IT[*]The Dark Tower (all 7 books as they make one story)[*]Desperation[*]Dreamcatcher[*]The Shining[/list=1]

One thing I have wondered, ***POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR DREAMCATCHER HERE***

In Dreamcatcher when Mr Grey goes to the standpipe and finds the plaque which has "PENNYWISE LIVES!" on it, it says its from the Losers Club. But how can that be when the remaining Losers forgot everything about the incidents of IT after IT had died? Any ideas people?
Old 07-30-2005, 03:25 PM
Is there any connection between Pennywise and Mr. Gray? I remember Pennywise sometimes introduced himself as Robert Gray or somthing like that. I haven't read Dreamcatcher.

Anyway...

1. IT
2. The Stand
3. The Shining
4. Pet Sematary
5. Needful Things
Old 07-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Mr. Gray? I remember Pennywise sometimes introduced himself as Robert Gray or somthing like that. I haven't read Dreamcatcher.

I only vaguely remember dreamcatcher, but mr. gray is an alien, so. . .
. . .wait a minute. . .
As for pennywise lives, I haven't read all of king so I can't connect the dots, but if pennywise did live, the losers would get back their memory when the time came. And, then, they could've written that? Remember, the book just insinuated that pennywise was truly dead because they were all forgetting. Maybe pennywise was just asleep for longer.
But. . . well for someone who has only read a good armful of Stephen King, I got no clue what is on that fellow's mind.

I guess I must have read dreamcatcher before I went and read IT, because I don't remember jumping up and down over any ties (like I did in Bag of Bones when old Bill Denbrough was mentioned).

Last edited by C-Desecration-; 07-30-2005 at 05:07 PM..
Old 07-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Quote:
I guess I must have read dreamcatcher before I went and read IT, because I don't remember jumping up and down over any ties (like I did in Bag of Bones when old Bill Denbrough was mentioned).
I also thought it was cool how he referenced The Dark Half and gave us an unexpected ending to Thad Beaumont's story.

Certainly puts a cloud over the whole thing.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Dude It never died. hes eternal. losers Club only thought he died. In fact Pennywise pops up ina number of books. Catch his appearence in the Tommyknockers. Remeber King is consistently referncing his won books such as the unexpected ending to The talisman in The Tommyknockers. Then In Needful things theres a plethora of refernces
Old 08-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Just read Misery.
One of his smallest. but I think one of his best.
Annie Wilkes scared me more than PennyWise! no joke!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:15 PM
In no particular order:

It
The Gunslinger
The Dead Zone
'Salem's Lot
The Talisman (just picked it up. Fucking awesome, thanks to X-Nightcrawler for the recommendation!)
Old 08-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LoomisFan
The Talisman (just picked it up. Fucking awesome, thanks to X-Nightcrawler for the recommendation!)

YES! You keep me updated as how you go.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler

YES! You keep me updated as how you go.
I'll IM you my progress.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
1.Tie:The Stand & It
2.Christine
3.Dolores Claiborne
4.Pet Sematary
5.Bag of Bones(which will always have a special place in my heart-I brought it along on my honeymoon to read on the plane...my first flight ever....hadn't read it in years and it just overwhelmed me all over again.)

I don't catch all the references in different novels,but when I do it's a cool feeling.
SPOILERS FOR THE DARK HALF~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Except for The Dark Half....sad but I figured Thad's ending would be tragic.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:45 PM
1. The Stand
2. The Shining
3. The Talisman
4. Needful Things
5. Carrie
Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Was anyone else like, totally rooting for It in the end? I mean, I loved the characters in the book, but It was just so much cooler than The Turtle.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Since It lives on in Dreamcatcher and Tommyiknockers technichally It lived on. Pennywise is forever like all our fears
Old 08-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Yep, clowns are the physical representation of childhood fears, I guarantee.

It's too bad the alien shit weasels were so lamely rendered in Dreamcatcher. Wasn't that book written when King was recovering from his accident? It really shows, unfortunately.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
Since It lives on in Dreamcatcher and Tommyiknockers technichally It lived on. Pennywise is forever like all our fears
I need to re-read those 2.
I don't recall seeing Pennywise in those books.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:48 PM
It is in Toomyknockers for two lines. A character goes to Derry and sees eyes in t he storm drain. He also hears laughing coming from the draim in the hospital sink.

Also read Dreamcather and read It and compare the dates. The monument was erected after they supposedly kille d IT but as the message says "Pennywise Lives."

This sint a surprise all kings books are interconnected from the little (Salems Lot is mentioned in Pet Semetary) from the big (Jack form the Talisman shows up in Tommyknockers).
Old 08-13-2005, 12:29 PM
1. Green Mile
2. It
3. The Mist (short)
4. Cujo (first King novel I ever read)
5. Desperation