Old 10-02-2005, 06:42 PM
I just met Neil Gaiman!

Last friday a friend of mine called me asking if Neil Gaiman was an author I liked. I responded that he was pretty much my favorite artist in this universe and then she said that's good because he is doing a book signing tomorrow. I was at a movie theatre about to go in and I pretty much almost did a backflip and started dancing around literally for joy.

The next day I got to see Gaiman read from Anansi Boys, Answer a very entertaining Q and A, got three books signed by him, and got to chat with him for a short while while he was signing. It was a thrill and it was even cooler since I had no idea about it, until less than 24 hours before the event. I've seen Gaiman speak before but I've never attended a reading and It was alot of fun.

I have to state that:

I Love Life.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:28 PM
dude Im so freakin jealous. Was he nice? Give out any juicy tidbits?
Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm probably more jealous of you for this than you were of me for going to Austin City Limits.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
dude Im so freakin jealous. Was he nice? Give out any juicy tidbits?
He was unbelievably nice. You know the dediction page in Anasi Boys? He started the reading by reading that first. Afterwards he commented on how he really did dedicate the book to all of us and joked around that we were free to tell the world that He also circled the "this one's for you" in everyone's foward during the signing and signed right underneath it. During the Q and A he was charming, quite funny, and answered everyone's questions really well. He didn't make it seem like just another stop on a book tour. The whole experience felt like he enjoyed reading his material with us and he ended up thanking us warmly for helping Anasi Boys enter at #1 in the New York Times bestseller list.

When I actually met the man I was number 156 in the line to get his autograph. He had already been signing for about and hour and a half and he had to catch a small plane to orange county for a signing later that afternoon. I said thanks for sticking it out for us people in the back of the line and he commented that it was no problem at all. The night before he had a line of 400 or so people and that this one wasn't a bother at all. I then commented that I heard someone talking about when they saw him at the Philppines there were about a thousand people at his reading and autograph session. Gaiman responded that it was quite alot of people and he ended up autographing about 800 of them. I said the book company should buy him a comfy wrist guard and he joked that they should send a personal massuese on tour with him. Then I had to shuffle off due to the big line still behind me. The whole meeting felt very warm and friendly and as I watched Gaiman meet all the other people in line before me It was the same way.

Last edited by bowieee; 10-04-2005 at 01:41 PM..
Old 10-04-2005, 06:55 PM
Lucky bastard. You should have asked him if there were any plans (or movement) on any projects to adapt any of his works to film. I thought I heard something on American Gods a while back, but that rumor seemed to fade off. I have a script in my head for that, and images that, God willing, I'll be able ot bring to the screen one day. Uh... what just happened? I blacked out for a second...
Old 10-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Nachokoolaid
Lucky bastard. You should have asked him if there were any plans (or movement) on any projects to adapt any of his works to film. I thought I heard something on American Gods a while back, but that rumor seemed to fade off. I have a script in my head for that, and images that, God willing, I'll be able ot bring to the screen one day. Uh... what just happened? I blacked out for a second...
He talked for a bit about how he really wants to direct Death and the high cost of living and how it looks like it's probably going to happen.

Back in July I caught a henson studios presentation at Comic con and they talked about how they have a few Gaiman projects in the works. They wanted to do Neverwhere and Gaiman may be adapting The Dark Crystal into Anime form.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM

I also met him at a bar on a sci-fi convention about 4-5 years ago, and chatted with him for a while. Very nice guy. Smart, friendly and laid-back. Not a diva in any way imaginable. Damn fine writer, too.