Old 01-17-2006, 09:25 PM
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey

I am currently reading this right now, and so far it is great.

[IMG]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=a+million+little+pieces/v=2/SID=w/l=IVS/SIG=13qel4kn9/EXP=1137641051/*-http%3A//a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/03122212011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/7210000/7213969.jpg[/IMG]

"I want a drink. I want fifty drinks. I want a bottle of the purest, strongest, most destructive, most poisonous alcohol on Earth. I want fifty bottles of it. I want crack, dirty and yellow and filled with formaldehyde. I want a pile of powder meth, five hundred hits of acid, a garbage bag filled with mushrooms, a tube of glue bigger than a truck, a pool of gas large enough to drown in. I want something anything whatever however as much as I can."
Old 01-18-2006, 04:54 PM
I heard that he fabricated certain parts of it.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by mindkiss69
I heard that he fabricated certain parts of it.
I just heard that today at school, and it has changed the way I am viewing and reading the book. Not happy about that.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah, my sister gave me the book to read but I'm not as excited to read it now being that the author is a fuckin liar.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:35 AM
I really dont understand what the big deal. So he lied does that diminish how well written it is
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah I don't understand it either. And I don't understand Oprah attacking Frey again on her show when she was supportive just two weeks ago...it sounds like she just felt the pressure of everyone to attack Frey.

So what, he made up a couple details, if the book's well written and great, then it's well written and great. It doesn't change the fact one bit.

It reminds me a little of my mom...if she ever heard a movie was based on a true story she'd always be up for it and be like it's gotta be good. (And so I showed her Fargo ) The truth makes no difference to how good the book is and it shouldn't make any difference.

It sounds like a wicked book and this thing has been blown out of proportion. Personally, this just makes me wanna read the book now. Maybe I'll buy it to support the guy.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
I haven't read the book but I don't understnad what the big deal is.. there is more important lies and isssues that people should worry about then if he was in jail for 3 months or 3 hours, its a memior for god's sake. What matters is the essence of the book. Many people use the Bible or other religous text to over come their addictions and these text are not proven to be true (nor unture I should say). These lions see this wounded antipole and now every lion wants to take him apart. I feel bad for this guy, and I will read the book

I have no respect for Oprah and her cult followers. She backed down due to pressues. Oprah brought James Frey out as a sacrfice to please people. If Oprah told people to drink the kool-aid they would drink it. These cult followers take her words as the word of god.

IT MAKES ME SO MAD!!!...... that felt good to vent.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Madhatter
I haven't read the book but I don't understnad what the big deal is.. there is more important lies and isssues that people should worry about then if he was in jail for 3 months or 3 hours, its a memior for god's sake. What matters is the essence of the book. Many people use the Bible or other religous text to over come their addictions and these text are not proven to be true (nor unture I should say). These lions see this wounded antipole and now every lion wants to take him apart. I feel bad for this guy, and I will read the book

I have no respect for Oprah and her cult followers. She backed down due to pressues. Oprah brought James Frey out as a sacrfice to please people. If Oprah told people to drink the kool-aid they would drink it. These cult followers take her words as the word of god.

Exactly what he and the good schomes up there said.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:00 AM
True that little lies don't make that big of a fucking deal. Its just a book. I could care less about how long someone was in jail. What is important is what was learned while in there. There is a kind of line that you do not cross though. Like when lying about about how an ex girlfriend killed herself (she actually cut her wrists and did not hang herself). I can't think of anyone with the audasity (yes I relized I am most likely spelling this wrong) to changed such serious matters as this for any sake.

And about Oprah. If you promoted something 100% and came to found out that a portion of the material was fabricated, would you still promote it? I don't think so. So why would anyone except Oprah to do that? I'm not going to bring up how Oprah threw Frey to the dogs because that is the kind of person she is. She publicizes people, organizes, etc for what they really are. This situation is really no different. And Frey had a choice of going on the show or not. No one forced him. So really he threw himself to the dogs to be ripped apart.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Quote:

Yah my girlfriend was pretty pissed at Oprah too. She was acting like a little popular girl in high school who will do anything to appease the audience.

Give the guy his due. AND GET THE FUCK OVER IT.

So what if he lied?! If you want to protest then don't read the book, quit whining about it Oprah.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
I really dont understand what the big deal. So he lied does that diminish how well written it is
It's not well written. It fact, it's pretty fuckin' horrible.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Quote:
I haven't read the book but I don't understnad what the big deal is.. there is more important lies and isssues that people should worry about then if he was in jail for 3 months or 3 hours, its a memior for god's sake.
I don't think you got the point. The stuff that the Smoking Gun disproved is the stuff that is most easily disprovable. You know, the things that you can easily check records off. The rest of the book is probably a fucking lie too. It's not just 'details' like 3 months or 3 hours. It's taking the tragic death of some teenagers and pretending you had something to do with it, for one. That's fucking LOW. Or that complete nonsense about being denied anesthesia during a root canal. THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY BASIS IN REALITY. The point isnt that some details are fake. The point is that if some of the details that can be proven wrong ARE fake, then what else is? I mean really, that whole story about the girlfriend's suicide is so fucking absurd and unreal. That sooo didn't happen.

The problem isn't just that the book is a giant, badly written lie. The problem is that Frey let all the hype get over his head and started pretending this shit was totally true and handing out advice about SERIOUS THINGS based on his 'hardcoreness'. That's wrong.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:26 AM
I love how he tried to prove his life sucked, rather than try to find a lot of positives from his situation
Old 01-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I wonder if this will change the way we look at truth in our culture and spill over to the film industry that tries to bank on "Based on a true story" bullshit.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Hilarious review:
http://www.exile.ru/2003-May-29/book_review.html

Quote:
But then Frey is no expert observer, as he proves in one of the funniest scenes from his nature walks, when he meets a "fat otter": "There is an island among the rot, a large, round Pile with monstrous protrusions like the arms of a Witch. There is chatter beneath the pile and a fat brown otter with a flat, armored tail climbs atop and he stares at me."

Now, can anyone tell me what a "fat otter with a flat, armored tail" actually is? That's right: a beaver! Now, can anyone guess what the "large, round Pile with monstrous protrusions like the arms of a Witch" would be? Yes indeed: a beaver dam!

Any kindergartner would know that, and anyone with a flicker of life would be delighted to see a beaver and its home. But for Frey, a very stupid and very vain man, the "fat otter" is nothing but another mirror in which to adore his Terrible Fate. He engages the beaver in the most dismal of adolescent rhetorical interrogations:

"Hey, Fat Otter.

He stares at me.

You want what I got?

He stares at me.

I'll give you everything.

Stares at me...."

And so on, for another half-page. You want to slap the sulking spoiled brat. The Fat Otter should've slapped him with its "flat, armored tail" and then chewed his leg off and used it to fortify its "Pile with monstrous protrusions."
Quote:
Guess who his new friends are. Go ahead, guess! I'll give you a hint: just pick the most ludicrous cliches in American TV aimed at pubescent male audiences. Forget about subtlety. Imagine this novel was a screenplay by the dumb brother in Adaptation. Who would he pick for the hero's friends?

Well, here are the guys who became Frey's pals: Leonard, a highly-placed Mafia killer from Vegas; Matty, a black former world champion boxer; Miles, a black Federal judge from New Orleans who plays the clarinet.

There they are, the most childish dreams of every little rich white boy: being down with the brothers and the Mafia. The tough guys. The Jazzmen. Having friends with connections in those two equally artificial cities, Vegas and New Orleans.
Quote:
And before we can even wipe the tears from our eyes, Frey is parting from his counselor and her tough yet sensitive Fisherman boyfriend: "I step forward and I hug her. There is emotion in the hug, and there is respect and a form of love. Emotion that comes from honesty, respect that comes from challenge, and the form of love that exists between people whose minds have touched, whose souls have touched. Our minds touched. Our hearts touched. Our souls touched."

If you can find a worse paragraph than that in any published book, I'd like to see it. At least it disposes of one more character. Alas, Frey must still hug the Counsellor's boyfriend, who says -- I swear to God, this is a direct quote: "I ain't much for words, kid."
Quote:
So at the end of the novel, Frey supplies a list of what allegedly happened to his friends from rehab. As you'd expect, most are dead, imprisoned, or vanished. But after all, they were only local color, proud scars that will give Mister Frey some lively stories to tell at the summer place in Maine.

And this self-aggrandizing, simple-minded, poorly observed, repetitious, maudlin drivel passes for avant-garde literature in America?

Last edited by The Heart Collector; 01-29-2006 at 08:29 PM..
Old 01-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Thats too bad I had always heard that it was well-written
Old 01-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Quote:

Three words:

FUCK
OPRAH
WINFREY!
Old 01-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Do you really expect a author to remember every event at ever time at every place that he has been? He would probably make up some stuff to fill in the missing spaces between events in his book. It does NOT alter the fact that he has written a solid book about going through drug rehab.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Are you aware of the magnitude of the lies here? The man pretended that some teens who died in an accident were his friends, and tried to turn their death into an event that was all about him and his plight. That is beyond low. That's simply inexcusable, good memory or not. You can't just 'not remember' that, or be 'a bit confused'. That is a straight fucking lie, and a cheap one.

And did you see those samples from the book? Worst fucking writing ever.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Heart Collector
Are you aware of the magnitude of the lies here? The man pretended that some teens who died in an accident were his friends, and tried to turn their death into an event that was all about him and his plight.

Were you reading the same book I was? or hell, were you just basing your opinons on reviews that use Daffy Duck to compare something? I am sorry, but a reviewer that uses Daffy Duck to talk about a main point in the point is fucking stupid and shows that he is one hell of a reviewer. Also, what teen and his friend are you fucking talking about? There is no mention of anybody of that caliber in the book, in the reviews, or anything at all. Ok, so, The Da Vinci Code passes off as a "book of facts" and it is praised by damn near everybody and their mothers, yet a man bares his soul and you blast him for it. Wow.

Also, How many more reviews are there beside the one calling it the worst book that the reviewer ever read? Why is there not reviews praising it? Huh? Why didn't you post those on this thread? Maybe because you want to show everybody that only your opinon matters or maybe that you fucking hate this book so much that you just want to spread the hate to us? I have not seen one postive review for this book in this thread or anything. It is just a bunch of people blasting Frey. So, basically this is a hate thread for the book. Well, it turned out to be a like thread until Sigur found out that Frey basically made all the stuff up.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:24 AM
So basically you didn't respond to a single thing I said in my paragraph. Here's what you're wondering about:

Quote:
While Frey's fabrications and embellishments of his criminal "career" and jail time are patently dishonest, the section of "A Million Little Pieces" that deals with a tragedy that took place while he was a high school student is downright creepy and detestable.

On November 15, 1986 at 9:17 PM, a northbound C&O locomotive pulling a caboose and headed for nearby Benton Harbor slammed broadside into a 1976 Oldsmobile Toronado at the Maiden Lane railroad crossing in Michigan's St. Joseph Township.

The two-door car was driven by 17-year-old Dean Sperlik. Sharing the front seat with him was Jane Hall and Melissa Sanders, both also 17. Hall and Sanders were best friends and classmates at St. Joseph High School. Sperlik, who had moved from St. Joseph to Grand Rapids only months earlier, had previously attended the school with the girls.

According to a St. Joseph Township Police Department report, on the night of the accident, Sperlik hosted a party at a residence where he was house sitting. About a dozen teenage partygoers played Ping Pong and some, including Sperlik, were seen drinking. Sometime after 8:30 PM, Sperlik, Hall, and Sanders left the party in the boy's auto. Witnesses differed on whether the trio was going to another party or planned to return after purchasing wine coolers.

Less than an hour later, Hall and Sanders were dead, and Sperlik was seriously injured. Despite flashing railroad warning signals, Sperlik, driving at about 50 mph, tried to beat the train through an intersection. Instead, the Olds was hit flush on its right side, where Sanders was seated next to the door. A subsequent investigation determined the car was dragged 626 feet down the tracks.

Sanders, a member of her school's varsity tennis, volleyball, and softball teams, died at the scene from massive head and internal injuries. An autopsy determined that she had no trace of alcohol in her system. Hall, a varsity tennis player and a member of the French club, died of multiple fractures and internal injuries. While seriously injured, Sperlik survived the crash and subsequently pleaded no contest to a negligent homicide charge. He was sentenced to six months in jail and two years probation.

When recreating the train accident in "A Million Little Pieces," Frey manipulates the time frame, claiming it occurred halfway through the eighth grade, just six months after he relocated (at age 12) to St. Joseph from the Cleveland area. In fact, Sanders and Hall were high school seniors and Frey, also 17, was a junior at the time of the train crash. He also refers to Melissa Sanders as just "Michelle" in the book.

Frey identified "Michelle" as Melissa Sanders in a December 14 TSG interview. While prepared to ask him questions about his supposed role in the train crash, Frey ended an interview Friday before we could explore the subject with him.

Frey introduces Michelle to readers by carrying on a conversation with the dead girl while showering one day at Hazelden. "I say you have been on my mind lately. I say I may see you soon. I say please be there when I arrive, I'm looking forward to spending some time together."

He goes on to explain how he met Michelle when he moved to their "small Town." He was an outsider hated by the local kids. Michelle, of course, was "popular, beautiful and smart." She played sports, was a cheerleader, and got straight A's. And, for some reason, she wanted to be Frey's friend. One day in English class, she passed him a note saying that he did not seem "as awful as I hear you are." He wrote back, "I am as awful as people say and worse." Soon, the pair was talking on the phone, passing notes in class, eating lunch together, and "riding in the same seat on the Bus." When Michelle's friends wondered why she befriended that pariah Frey, she just ignored them since Michelle "had too much going for her for anyone to make her suffer for our friendship."

Halfway through eighth grade, Michelle got asked out on a date by a high school boy, Frey writes. Knowing that her parents would not let her go, Michelle told them she was actually heading to the movies with Frey, her beard for the night. "I had never done anything to them and I had always been pleasant and polite in their presence, so they agreed and they drove us to the Theater." Frey adds that he went inside and watched the movie, pint of whiskey in hand, while Michelle got picked up there by her high school suitor (the couple, he said, then went and parked somewhere and drank beer). But as Michelle and the high school boy, a "football Hero," were driving back to the theater--presumably so that Michelle's parents could pick her up--he tried to beat a train across some tracks. "His car got hit and Michelle was killed...She was my only friend...She got hit by a fucking Train and killed."

Surely, like anyone who lived in St. Joseph at the time of the accident, Frey knew that two girls had died in the crash. But for the fabulist's narrative purposes, Janie Hall needed to be thrown under that C&O locomotive.

After learning of the accident the following day, "I got blamed by her Parents and by her friends and by everyone else in that fucking hellhole," Frey claims. "If she hadn't lied and if I hadn't helped her, it would not have happened. If we hadn't gone to the Theater, she would not have gone on that date." Sure, a couple of mangled girls landed in a hospital morgue, but that's narrative gold in the hands of James Frey.

The car's driver was unhurt and everyone felt sorry for him. Instead, it was poor Jimmy Frey who became the object of St. Joseph's scorn:

I got taken down to the local Police Station and questioned. That was the way it worked there. Blame the fuck-up, feel sorry for the football Hero. Vilify one forever, forget the other had anything to do with it. I took a lot of punches for that bullshit, and every time I threw a punch back, and I threw one back every single time, I threw it back for her. I threw it back as hard as I fucking could and I threw it back for her.

Standing in that Hazelden shower, Frey wishes he could again smell Michelle, touch her hair, tell her he loves her because, "I did and I do and I never did it when she was still alive."

Frey's alternate reality, as you might have guessed, is not reflected in the final 16-page police report on the 1986 fatalities. There is no mention of him in the document, though several other St. Joseph High School students were questioned by investigators. No person interviewed said anything about Sanders going to the movies that evening. The chief police investigator, Dennis Padgett, told TSG, "I don't remember Mr. Frey. I don't recognize the name." Asked if a key witness like Frey could have been interviewed by him or other probers and not be referred to in the final report, Padgett answered, "Not typically, no."

While Sanders, who demonstrably was a real person, is another character--like Leonard or Lilly--who died before she could see Frey enjoy fame and wealth (or even visit his Big Jim Industries web site), her parents are still alive. And Bill and Marianne Sanders say that Frey created a meaningful relationship with their daughter where, the couple believes, one did not exist.

Sanders was a senior, Frey just a junior, so he deftly skipped a grade to better appropriate her family's tragedy. And since it would be hard to claim "Michelle" as his beautiful protector and only friend five years after arriving in town, Frey instead turns back the odometer and has her coming to his rescue at age 12, only months after he landed in that verdant Michigan "hellhole."

The Sanders family learned of "A Million Little Pieces" late last year when they returned to Michigan (they now live in New York) for a funeral. A relative had heard about the book via "Oprah" and told Marianne that they suspected the train accident described by Frey was the one that took Melissa's life.

Marianne began to read the book, but did not recognize many of the details surrounding her own daughter's death. "Everything that I believe he wrote, even about my daughter...was not an actual, the way the accident happened or anything," she told TSG. "I never heard his name in connection with it."

Sanders said that she did not think Frey's name ever came up in connection with Melissa's death and, "I don't believe that he was ever actually questioned in regard to the accident because he had nothing to do with it."

She disputed Frey's claim that he had always "been pleasant and polite" in the company of her and her husband. She could recall meeting him only once before Melissa's death and believed that Frey dropped off a condolence card after the accident. They may have been acquaintances, she said, and might have ridden on the same school bus.

As for driving Frey and her daughter, who was not a cheerleader, to the movies the night Melissa died, Sanders said that did not happen. "When I read that I figured he was taking license...he's a writer, you know, they don't tell everything that's factual and true." She added, "I just figured he embroidered a few things...I mean I'm sure not every single thing he said in there is gonna be true, do you think?"

In an e-mail exchange, Bill Sanders told TSG that on the night of the accident, a Saturday, "Janie stopped by and picked Melissa up. Melissa told me they were going out and she would be home around 12:00 midnight. I have never met Mr. Frey and I never drove him anywhere."

Asked about St. Joseph residents purportedly turning on Frey after the crash, Marianne Sanders replied, "No, I don't think that part's true at all." She added, "I never heard anything like that after it happened. As far as I know his name never came up in anything." TSG spoke with Sanders last month, a particularly tough time of the year for her family. Three years after Melissa's death, her twin brother Mark was killed in a New York auto accident. "It's very hard to lose children," she said.

In a Q&A section on Winfrey's web site, Frey recently answered a viewer's question about whether he ever spoke about the death of his high school "girl friend" with his parents or a Hazelden staff psychologist. "I discussed it a bit with my parents when it happened, but not that much. I have often kept the things that hurt me the most to myself. I don't know if that's because they hurt so much to talk about, or if I just want them to be mine and mine alone."

That would be one explanation.

Please. Defend that piece of shit some more. This man is indefensible. His book is indefensible too. Look at that shit!

Quote:
and every time I threw a punch back, and I threw one back every single time, I threw it back for her. I threw it back as hard as I fucking could and I threw it back for her.
That's horrendous writing.

Last edited by The Heart Collector; 01-30-2006 at 10:32 AM..
Old 01-30-2006, 10:44 AM
The DaVinci code is found in the fiction section.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDeadWalk
The DaVinci code is found in the fiction section.
Hmm, felt more like Non to me. It had all these supposed "facts" in them

Last edited by thedudeman69; 01-30-2006 at 10:56 AM..
Old 01-30-2006, 06:34 PM
As sleazy as the author may be (after reading what he did change), that still shouldn't change someone's feelings about the book itself. Ethically, it might be horrifying and yet that still shouldn't change opinions on the book itself and the writing itself. I'm not gonna argue whether or not it's a great book or not cause I haven't read it and I'm not gonna base my entire opinion of the book on one line. Especially when lines from books are taken out of context, you're not getting the whole picture. Style really only becomes apparent as you read over more of the book, certainly more than a line or two at least. Besides which, I can't see anything particularly wrong with the line quoted there - it could work very well with the rest of the writing.

So anyway, I say they should just slap the book in the FICTION section and be done with it.

Oh and I still think that however sleazy Frey might've been for doing this, if he had just slapped it in the fiction section to begin with, there'd be no one bitching at this point. And I still have lost respect for Oprah - finding out the facts about Frey and then reversing her opinion might be one thing, but finding out the facts, then still being supportive and THEN, doing a complete 180 after pressure from fans of her show shows no guts.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:14 PM
If it was slapped as fiction, I highly doubt it would have garnered the success it did. People bought into it because they were in awe of this man's life that they believed really happened.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDeadWalk
If it was slapped as fiction, I highly doubt it would have garnered the success it did. People bought into it because they were in awe of this man's life that they believed really happened.
And that's exactly the problem to begin with then. If this book is truly good, it probably would've done pretty well on the fiction shelf if it was released there. But if it's only doing well because people were thinking "wow this story's based on a true story, amazing" then it's not the author who has the problem, it's the literary world which automatically holds non-fiction accounts somehow as being better.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:08 PM
I just read the book and I still have the same feelings as before. Most of the complanits about the book are small parts and smalle then I thought it would be. Despite what some say I thought it was well written; it is just in a differnt style then most books, but I can see why the style might annoy some people.