Old 01-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Cell By Stephen King

Anybody picking this up. I know i certianly I am
Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 AM
woo hoo it comes out Tuesday
Old 01-23-2006, 01:25 PM
The new Entertainment Weekly had an excert that I read, pretty great, it seems like he's finally doing something original again, horror-wise.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I like Stephen King. I like the old Stephen King, before he went a little downhill in terms of good storytelling.

I haven't read the excerpt from EW, since I'm willing to buy the book and do a quick read before I go back to college.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Shit, I have way too much free time over the winter semester at college. I've not been reading as much as I should since I enrolled in college but I'll be sure to pick this one up - gotta love the King.

All right, poll:
What's you favorite King book?

Mines is Different Seasons which inspired two amazingly great films:
Stand by Me and Shawshank.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:32 AM
My favorite is The Stand. Great characters, a post-apocalyptic struggle of good versus evil w/spiritual undertones make for one of the greatest books I've ever read.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:14 PM
I havnt read many but hope to read more. Right know its The Drawing of the Three. How the Dark Towers books went downhill from that i do not know?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM
My favorite always shall be Cujo. It's his most straighforward horror book, and the only one that I really, REALLY cared about the characters. Plus, the ending is one of the most heartbreaking and poignant to anything, ever.
Too bad the movie sucks.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Cujo does ahve a heartbreaking edning

As far as the best I would say The Stand tied with IT

I would also argue the last three Dark Tower books ahd soem incredibly brave choices on part of King.

Most underappreciated: Hearts In Atlantis and Bag Of bones
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I also read the EW excerpt and it was a great hook. Though I might have to hold off from buying it til I get some money. I'm looking very forward to seeing how the story unfolds.

BTW Tyler, I bet your avatar could beat up my avatar.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Might check this out. I'm halfway through Wizard and Glass at the moment. I don't know why everyone is raving about the Dark Tower series. I find it to be quite slow and boring. It better be worth getting to the end of book 7, otherwise I have wasted however many hours of my life reading these books.

My favorite is "IT". Loved the ending with the Ritual of Chud and the batle of wills within the minds of IT and Bill. Good reading. Worth it.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Klownzilla
BTW Tyler, I bet your avatar could beat up my avatar.
I know he could as many times as I've seen GMK. I love that movie.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Is no one a fan of different seasons?
Well, my favorite "horror" novel of his is IT.

I picked this one up yesterday and I'll try to read it pretty soon.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm wanting this book so bad, but I don't have the 20 bucks to fork out for it right now. I forgot it came out this week.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Yay! Just picked it up! Although, since I've got finish The Godfather Part II and III, I won't get a chance to read it for a bit...
Old 01-30-2006, 09:47 PM
dman what do you think
Old 01-30-2006, 10:08 PM
I can wait until the paperback.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by dman476
All right, poll:
What's you favorite King book?
Not counting "The Talisman" I'd have to say either "It" or "Desperation". Both are fantastic books.

Anyways, what's this "Cell" business? I was under the impression King had retired or something after finishing the final "Dark Tower" book?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler

Anyways, what's this "Cell" business? I was under the impression King had retired or something after finishing the final "Dark Tower" book?
Yeah, that's what I thought, too, and I was falsely assuming that COLORADO KID didn't count as a NOVEL and was just an exercise in mystery concept, so he didn't consider it to be a real novel; because he retired.
Hm. OK, whatever, Mr. King.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
dman what do you think
School man. Not enough time to read. I got through the first part and it's not usual King, but it's pretty damn good and intriguing. I'll try to read some more with my 4-day (work free) break starting the 9th.
Did you pick it up (or read it) yet?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Finished Cell last night.

God damn, I loved it. For someone who's retired, he still can write a mean little Horror book.

As for favorite, it's Misery.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:07 PM
I have it but with work I ahve no time. Defintely going to get on it though.

To me what eh really meant by r etired was that he was doen trying to "prove" himself to literary cricles. I ge t the impression hes just doing what he likes to do now and doesnt really care about critics reviews or anyhting like that. It seemed like he was saying essenitally in an interview I recnetly read.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by VincentPrice
Finished Cell last night.

God damn, I loved it. For someone who's retired, he still can write a mean little Horror book.
I don't really read book reviews so I'll ask you. What kind of "King" book is it? Is it the huge slow, character-heavy kind (It, Stand) or the fast-scary-and-relentless kind (Desperation)?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Man, this book is kicking my ass.

I started it last night around 8:30 and by 1am I was still reading and finally just had to stop cause I was so tired. I went to bed and have yet to pick it back up today because I know I wont be able to put it back down again. I have no plans for this afternoon/night and this book will be finished by then.

Normally I speed read and zip right through books, but with this one im taking my time. Theres just so much to read an envision.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM
So Im on page 24 now and this book is so good. While I love Kings more recent literary novels its nice to see him get back to soem good gory basics.

Also does anyone els e think it would awesome to see the opening scene in the book on screen. That would be insane. It would also probably be NC-17 material therefore it would probably be toned down.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I really hope someone else has finished this book already, like I have. Cause I'm quite confused by the end.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So "The Pulse" caused people to turn into violent flesh eating maniacs. I got that part. But the whole "lying down at night listening to music' stuff I didnt fully understand, and the end I totally didnt get. Ok, he finds his son, and his son is one of 'them' but his son is about as dumb as an infant, if not worse. So he holds a cell-phone to his ear for him to listen to. Umm, wouldnt that make him a violent flesh eating maniac again? Like starting the program over? Or does it have the opposite effect and it causes them to forget everything and go back to being normal?
Old 02-05-2006, 09:16 PM
The best King book I've read HAS to be Pet Semetary... Just a sick as shit horror book that gets into your fuckin' head... I love it!
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
jackson 13 Im halfway through once Im d one Ill answer your question. So far I love it. Nobody does the end of t he world like King
Old 02-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Quote:
jackson 13 Im halfway through once Im d one Ill answer your question. So far I love it. Nobody does the end of t he world like King
Except for Simon Clark, Richard Matheson and Robert R. McCammon. To name three.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:10 PM
To be honest Im not huge fan of Swan Song (I assume thats what youre referring to). It just didnt grab me like The Stand. Havent read Clark and if were tlaking about I Am Legend then yes Id have to agree with Matheson.

That would so cool if they made a movie of Cell. It reads very cinematically. Of course they would probably tone down t he violence.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Quote:
To be honest Im not huge fan of Swan Song (I assume thats what youre referring to). It just didnt grab me like The Stand. Havent read Clark and if were tlaking about I Am Legend then yes Id have to agree with Matheson.

That would so cool if they made a movie of Cell. It reads very cinematically. Of course they would probably tone down t he violence.
Aha. Never read any Clark, eh? I smell another potential recruit. You MUST get the following books in the order I list them.

1. Blood Crazy
2. King Blood
3. Stranger

All three are apocalyptic nightmares par excellance. I cannot recommend these books too much.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:46 PM
How about this I have Stranger. Ill r ea d it next. Get a double dose of crazy people and end of the world
Old 02-07-2006, 02:34 PM
Quote:
How about this I have Stranger. Ill r ea d it next. Get a double dose of crazy people and end of the world
Sounds like a plan. Stranger is an excellent book but King Blood is better and Blood Crazy is a modern horror masterpiece. The sort of book against which most other horror novels when measured are found to be wanting. With the exception of I Am Legend it's the greatest slice of apocalyptic horror i've ever read and Clark has gone on record to say that he'd like to do a sequel someday. I hope so. So will you once you finish it.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:19 PM
kc masterpiece so i finsihed the book and I got the ending.

Spoilers!!!!

In the end we dont know if the signal will make his son worse better or revert the pulse and return the son he once knew. To me the ending went along with the bleak tone with the book. H e had his son but his son was not there. So he remebers that much like a computer there a chance to do a clean wipe and get his son back. Sadly thats very unlickely. The point is he is so sad lonely and beaten he is willing to do anything. I thought it was a powerful ending. As far as lying listening to music Im not sure but at the end Denise says something like its "the music of memories". Maybe this is akin to the zombies going to the mall in Dawn Of The Dead, a way to hold to some form of humanity conciously or not. Or maybe its just one of the many mutations in the Pulse.

Ocerall I thought the ending was very pwoerful.

Spoilers End!!!!

Overall I think this is one of Kings best books in a while. I liked the charatcers even if they were kind of flat. I was genuinely sad when they split up. Overall I think this is one of Kings bleakest and most depressing books. Not only was it gory but the overall tone was one of hopelessness. I also loved how he characterized the flock. It really raised some moral questions. Were they right in what they did. If there were no flock killers maybe everyone would have jus t learned to get along. I also liked how he reconized what made Matheson's I Am Legend so tragic and powerful and incorporated it into the story.

Overall this book was great and would love to see it as a film although considering how bleak and violent it is it would probably be changed significatly.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:43 PM
:YEP! SPOILERS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just read this bad boy, and i thought it was pretty good read! It was very depressing and at the same time, a real good page turner. Man, when this mae into a movie, i cant wait to see what the Raggedy Man would look like. He's one freaky son of a bitch!

Anyways, the ending was such a cliffhanger! I mean, just hearing Clay say what his son used to say when he was little almost got to me! Man, only Stephen King my friends, ONLY STEPHEN KING!

Now if you excuse me, im going to read IT again {2nd time, that book was amazing!} then The Stand {saw the tv movie but havent read the book}!