Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Best/Worst/Favorites/Etc..
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2006, 04:59 PM
The Amityville Horror(1979) vs. The Amityville Horror(2005)

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I saw the original Amityville a few years ago. I thought it was decent, although it didn't(and still doesn't) hold a candle to classics like The Shining(1980) or Poltergeist.

When I saw the remake last year, I was rolling my eyes basically the whole time as cliche upon cliche was piling up on the screen.

The remake also made me appreciate the original more. For one thing, the house was more menacing, whereas the one in the remake has 'Overlook Hotel-wannabe' written all over it.
I suppose the fact that the dog dies in the remake and not the original could be considered bold, it's just a pity that, by this point, we don't give a d@mn about anyone in that family.

The only plus I can give the remake is that Melissa George looks hot(even if she and Ryan Reynolds look too 'flashy'; the same could be said for Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman in the Star Wars prequels).

The remake, though, accomplishes the dubious feat of making me nostalgic for James Brolin.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:43 PM
The remake may have explored new grounds that the 1979 version did not dive into but my heart is still w/ the OLDER ONE. It still had that eerie creepiness and it delivered somehow. The other one had me staring too much at Ryan Reynolds bein all shirtless and all...
It's like when A&F Models go maaaaaaad!

Old 04-18-2006, 07:59 AM
I liked both of them.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:39 AM
REMAKE
Old 04-20-2006, 10:10 PM
While I liked both films, I'm gonna have go with the original because there were moments in that film that gave me a good fright.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 AM
i liked both but the remake was slightly better (mainly due to the faster pacing)
Old 04-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I hated both, but if I was forced at gunpoint to choose one, I would picke the remake, since Ryan Reynolds' performance, while a sub-par Jack Torrance, is still entertaining enough to make the film a campfest. The original is just BOR-ing.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:48 AM
Original sucked, automatically making the remake superior.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:42 AM
both equally good movies I recon, but the acting in the remake was a bit better so I'll have to go with the remake.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:17 PM
REMAKE
Old 07-21-2006, 01:49 PM
The original sucked, and the new one wasn't THAT great. I will vote for the remake though, if only for Ryan Reynolds's performance. Nice to see our funny man can actually act!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentPrice View Post
Original sucked, automatically making the remake superior.

The remake sucked, the original is a classic that influenced inferior crap like The Shining. Oh, and you are a retard.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Clearly the REMAKE

In any case Amityville 2 is the best by far.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
The remake sucked balls up through the cock-hole. Has Ryan Reynolds ever been in anything decent? Ummm... No!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 PM
I personally love the original Amityville Horror. It seems not a lot of people do, and call it boring. For me it's all about, the movies atmosphere, which I Love. It always gives me that fall feeling, when I Watch it. I despise the remake, like most other remakes.