Old 04-29-2006, 05:55 AM
What should I read next?

I'm between books at the moment and I've just bought a load, what should I read next?:

1. Stephen King; Dark Tower 4
2: Michael Crichton; Prey
3. Jon Courtany Grimwood; Stamping Butterflies
4. Alan Moore; Watchmen
5: Alan Moore; V for Vendetta
6. Max Barry; Jennifer Government
7. Charles Stross; Singularity Sky

I've had a spate of buying books recently and I read quickly but only one at a time!

<OB>
Old 04-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Oh I just finished Nine Stories and Franny and Zooey by J.D Salinger and I would HIGHLY recommend both =)
Old 04-29-2006, 11:20 AM
I would suggest getting a hold of a copy of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend so that you can join your fellow schmoes in meting out torrents of righteous indignation when the movie finally hits the screens and turns out to be a "WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM" style flick instead of a chilling and understated character piece. Oh...and book is great btw.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Is that list your choices or your already read list?

If its your choices, I would definately go with Wathmen.

But if your asking what to read next I would say either:

Choke by Chuck Palaniuck, my all time fave book, tells the story of a sexaholic loser watching the world go by while trying desperately trying to make a connection with his dying mother.

or

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, which is a a comedic look at the end of the world in the vain of Douglas Adams, involving an angel and demon who are drinking buddies, The Four Bikers of the Apocalypse, the son of the Devil mixed up at birth, plus the last two of the witchfinders. Funny, funny stuff. I have read funny books before but i have never literally laughed out loud.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Of what you listed, Watchmen and V are both brilliant, and you shouldn't be dissapointed with either. Haven't read any of the others.

If you're just asking of any book, it kinda annoys me when people just ask what book they should read next, without any guidelines or anything. Go for some Dickens.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:26 AM
I would recommend V so that you can get that talky bloated mess out of the way, and then save WATCHMEN for last, since that's probably the best of the lot.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:46 AM
I'll say Watchmen. And I'll agree with whoever recommended GOOD OMENS. A great book. And then, just read Neil Gaiman's whole catalog, and you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:45 AM
hey guys, thanks for the suggestions, I'm about 75% of the way through V for Vendetta now.

I've read Good Omens when I was young and have a copy lying around somewhere.

I am Legend sounds good if I see that I'll pick it up, also on a JD Salinger note, I've not even read the catcher in the rye, what a bad boy I am!

Also on my list to read are:

Everything is illuminated
The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime
the wasp factory
Life of Pi
and some book about a sadistic ghost giraffe.

so many books so little time!! (and I want to read 1984 again)

keep posting reccommendations. I guess I'll go with watchmen next as it seems pretty short compared with the rest, but I've also got Alias the comic series to read, a plethora of films to watch and a job to get!

<OB>
Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 PM

If your looking for some good nonfiction, Born on the Fourth of July is one of the most intense books I have read.

Last edited by cerealkiller182; 05-09-2006 at 03:38 PM..
Old 05-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Loved Life Of Pie

I couldnt stand Everything Is Illuminated. I have no idea whats going on in any of his books.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Terry Pratchett

A couple of people have recommended him, though I'd suggest starting with Small Gods, a satire on organized religion, or perhaps Mort, both from his Discworld series.

Also: Jack Vance, Lyonesse
Old 05-12-2006, 09:08 AM
yeah I was quite a big fan of pratchett when I was younger but have wandered away from his books in the past few years, I loved anything with death in it and equal rites I thought was really good.

The Truth was alright but I started finding them a bit formulaic.

Anyway I finished V and am now reading Jennifer Gonverment, it's ok but a bit pretentious so far.

<OB>
Old 05-15-2006, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by [SD] Bob Plisskin
Everything is illuminated
The curious incident of the dog in the nighttime
the wasp factory
Life of Pi
and some book about a sadistic ghost giraffe.

<OB>
The only one I've read here is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and I quite enjoyed it. It's not a "big" novel in any sense of the word, but it's a nice little story.