Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 PM
F Scott Fitzgerald

Any other F Scott readers here? I admit, when I started reading Gastby for english class, I hated it. But, I watched his Bio on A&E, then I started to take intrest. I read all his novels, and loved them. The mad had a talent, and if you know his bio, you can tell he drew inspiration from his own life to put in his works, such as his extreme alcoholism, his wife's metal illness, and his own mental disorder (bipolar, hypomania). Heres a critique of his works:

This Side of Paradice - For his first novel, it's pretty damn good. You can tell the mans got talent, and he's just getting started.

The Beautiful and Damned - Great. A vast improvment. This is where he gets the ball rolling.

The Great Gastby - This is his most famous, and it's easy to see why. Exellant book.

Tender is the Night - His best work. Insipired from his wifes illness. 10/10. Must read.

The Love of the Last Tycoon - This was unfinnished, but what I've read it was good.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 AM
I never finished This Side of Paradise but I remember thinking that it was the most boring book that I had ever read. However, I loved The Great Gatsby . I'll have to check out Tender is the Night though.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:10 AM
I've read the Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night. The Great Gatsby was fantastic. Tender is the Night I didn't pick up on as much. I only sort of fell into the groove towards the end, and it got better. Would have to read it again, some time.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:18 AM
I've only read the Great Gatsby.
That novel is beautiful, enlightening, and really un-systematic.
I had a lot of fun reading it, which is a lot more than I can say for other so called "classics."
I'll read some more of his novels sometime.
I read some of the Last Tycoon and that was pretty interesting - similar to Gatsby even.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:15 AM

Gatsby is pretty much The Great American Novel, for me. It's perfect, not a word extra or out of place.

I also love Tender Is The Night. It's not as tightly written, but it's more real and more intense. It's more from his heart, as opposed to Gatsby, which is more from his mind.

Both are indispensible.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
I also love Tender Is The Night. It's not as tightly written, but it's more real and more intense. It's more from his heart
Exellant way of putting it. Very true. If you know his bio like I said, you can tell he put a lot of heart into that one.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:59 PM
I've only read one of his short stories, "Babylon Revisited."
Old 06-19-2006, 09:56 PM
I've only yet had the pleasure of reading The Great Gatsby, but I absolutely adored it, his writing is tremendous. I look forward to checking out all these other books.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:56 PM
The Great Gatsby is possibly the most overrated book in all literature. But hey, that's just me.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by scottish-movie-freak
The Great Gatsby is possibly the most overrated book in all literature. But hey, that's just me.
it's not just you. i didn't get what was so great about it. someone tell me!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:47 PM
Tender is the Night

Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
I also love Tender Is The Night. It's not as tightly written, but it's more real and more intense. It's more from his heart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I liked this too. Very intense and deeply moving.

www.callaghaninfo.com