Old 10-29-2006, 05:53 PM
DVD cardboard covers. What's the deal?

Been re-arranging my DVD COLLECTION of late and wondered how you all feel about those CARDBOARD covers that many "special edition" DVDs seem to come with nowadays. Most of them are basically the EXACT same thing as the actual DVD cover (including the back flap), so I wondered:

1) Why do they add these to DVDs anyway?

2) Do you keep them on your DVDs or throw them away?
Old 10-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I personally don't mind them. But when the cardboard case is the exact same thing as the actual dvd case, in terms of pictures and info, then it pisses me off.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:13 PM
I keep them and when I don't have them I seek them out. It's part of the collection. The same way when a movie tickets come inside some titles. I don't use them. I also feel the same for the insert/booklets. I have several releases that need to be complete. It's the archivist in me. Ok . Look at it this way in terms of trading cards. You say, I have the complete set. I ask, do you have the chase cards? You say, pardon? No, then you don't have a complete set. You're missing a portion, it's not whole.

What I'm doing now is collecting the flyers/ad from Best Buy. I started in December 2004; haven't missed one yet. You might be thinking pack-rat. No. The ads are put away in large manilla envelopes, unless you knew what to look for you wouldn't see them. Why? Archive, I'm thinking about the future. Someday I'd like to have a kid (singular not plural). Years and years from now - when who knows, holographic TV is the norm and he/she asks what was it like in 2-D, I could pull out these ad. Dad used to watch on this thing call the Boob Tube. It was made of... GLASS! And we didn't have cerebral readers we had to push a button on remote that quite often would get misplaced and lost.

Last edited by JohnIan; 10-29-2006 at 06:21 PM..
Old 10-29-2006, 06:24 PM
I actually have no idea why the need for cardboard covers.
I'm guessing some people like them.
I personally take them off and stuff them into a box full of just cardboard covers.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnIan
I keep them and when I don't have them I seek them out. It's part of the collection. The same way when a movie tickets come inside some titles. I don't use them. I also feel the same for the insert/booklets. I have several releases that need to be complete. It's the archivist in me. Ok . Look at it this way in terms of trading cards. You say, I have the complete set. I ask, do you have the chase cards? You say, pardon? No, then you don't have a complete set. You're missing a portion, it's not whole.

What I'm doing now is collecting the flyers/ad from Best Buy. I started in December 2004; haven't missed one yet. You might be thinking pack-rat. No. The ads are put away in large manilla envelopes, unless you knew what to look for you wouldn't see them. Why? Archive, I'm thinking about the future. Someday I'd like to have a kid (singular not plural). Years and years from now - when who knows, holographic TV is the norm and he/she asks what was it like in 2-D, I could pull out these ad. Dad used to watch on this thing call the Boob Tube. It was made of... GLASS! And we didn't have cerebral readers we had to push a button on remote that quite often would get misplaced and lost.
I agree 110% with you.

Same here i collect them as well. My dvds have to be complete. yes when they are the same like for exsample the fith element its the same slip cover but holographic slip cover. Then Leon:the professional its way diffrerent both cover and dvd sleave are not the same.

also dont forget about changing dvd covers for like saw uncut edition mine is slim 2 disc case with cool bloody cover. now its impossible to find it.

After a while they discountinue them and come out with a generic case. so IMHO get them while you stil can.

so yes they are very important to me.

Last edited by #1dvdfan; 10-29-2006 at 06:47 PM..
Old 10-29-2006, 06:59 PM
I prefer the cardboard covers, actually. I wouldn't throw them away if I were you.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:08 PM
If the DVD artwork is crap and I replace it with a custom, I'll usually discard the slipcase along with the retail artwork. Otherwise, as long as the artwork doesn't make the graphic designer in me want to vomit, I'll keep it.

It's pretty much just for presentation value anyway. Maybe the slipcase will have texturing or silver/holo-foil effects that the inner sleeve doesn't; that sort of thing.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I keep them, but find them extremely annoying. I keep them because for some reason I just don't want to throw them out. Don't know why, it's just how I am. But they are poinless, especially if they are the same as the actual DVD case.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:32 PM
i am currently seeking out the Red slipcover to the Omen Special Edition. The boxset I bought didn't come with the slipcover for it OR Omen 666. I got the 666 cover though by buying it at full price from walmart, keeping the cover and returning the dvd since the dvd is still in the plastic. is that stealing? Probably, but my Omen remake is complete now!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:32 PM
i like the cardboard covers
Old 10-29-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't mind them. However, if I know a dvd is supposed to have one, then I seek out a copy with the cardboard slip. So it's sometimes an annoyance when I can't find one.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 PM
It annoy's me personally, but i tolerate them. It's just like.....why even bother sometimes. The latest release of the Cowboy Bebop OVA in 5.1 has carbord sleeves that have the same exact look as the DVD cases themselves. I thought to myself...."is Bandai taking crazy pills?"
Old 10-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Quote:

omg, johnlan... ill be sure to hit u up in 2033 when i randomly must know what was on sale during the 2nd week of June 2014.

i collect the cardboard hardcovers. if you throw them out, save them and send them to me... ill trade u for ... something. i dunno. dvds.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by #1dvdfan
I agree 110% with you.

Same here i collect them as well. My dvds have to be complete. yes when they are the same like for exsample the fith element its the same slip cover but holographic slip cover. Then Leon:the professional its way diffrerent both cover and dvd sleave are not the same.

also dont forget about changing dvd covers for like saw uncut edition mine is slim 2 disc case with cool bloody cover. now its impossible to find it.

After a while they discountinue them and come out with a generic case. so IMHO get them while you stil can.

so yes they are very important to me.
fifth element has a holographic slip cover? can u post a pic please?
Old 10-29-2006, 11:41 PM
If a DVD is released with a slipcover, I'll try and get it. Sometimes it's kinda cool (Heat S.E, Leon S.E, The Long Good Friday), sometimes it's pointless (Bubba Ho-Tep, Man On Fire S.E).

Usually, though, I buy it for aesthetic reasons; I'm not sure if any other Canadian schmoes have noticed this, but sometimes the cardboard slipcover only has the English text on the spine, which is much easier on the eyes than the English and French titles they try to squeeze onto the spine of Canadian DVDs (a pet peeve of mine that could warrant it's own thread).

Dunno...I'm kinda weird in the sense that I realize there isn't usually a point to them, but when faced with buying a DVD that has a loose disc and a slipcover, or a DVD with no slipcover and a held-in-place disc, I'll just put the slipcover on the good DVD and be on my way (which is what happened 2 weeks ago when I bought the Crimson Tide S.E; I'm sure I got some odd looks from staff and other customers).

As a side note, MovieWhore, I'm not sure if the Fifth Element slipcase is so much holographic as it is just "shiny." That's how my copy looks, anyway; feel free to correct me.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 PM
They don't bother me at all. I kinda think they add a nice touch to the DVD "ensemble." I have no idea why DVD-makers include them, but I they are kinda cool in my opinion. Don't ask me why.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:50 AM
i have no problem with them but i dont leave them on the dvd, i keep them in a box
Old 10-30-2006, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by therealjohng
I personally don't mind them. But when the cardboard case is the exact same thing as the actual dvd case, in terms of pictures and info, then it pisses me off.
Couldn't of said it any better myself.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 AM
Quote:

Exactly what he said
Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
yes i also keep mine
Old 10-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I only take them off and throw them away if they're the exact same thing as the actual case (info, images, etc). Otherwise, I don't mind.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Re: DVD cardboard covers. What's the deal?

Quote:
Originally posted by JoBlo
Been re-arranging my DVD COLLECTION of late and wondered how you all feel about those CARDBOARD covers that many "special edition" DVDs seem to come with nowadays. Most of them are basically the EXACT same thing as the actual DVD cover (including the back flap), so I wondered:

1) Why do they add these to DVDs anyway?

2) Do you keep them on your DVDs or throw them away?

1) $$$$$$$
2) I keep 'em.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MovieVVhore
fifth element has a holographic slip cover? can u post a pic please?

its just about the same.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Quote:

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Personally I like them more so then the traditional Clam-shell case.
however My problem is studios not going in a continuous movement.
take the Harry Potter movies. the first two had cardboard Collectors Cases. the third only had the Clam Shell Case. the fourth the O cardboard cover. now Being a DVD Collector. i really got upset by this as they are not in uniform.

I like my collection of 800+ DVD's to look someone neat. i have them in alphabetical order. with the exception of the Disney Masterpiece collection. and my TV DVD's.

The only thing to ever piss me off was those damn Snapper covers that Warner had put out.

thank god the stopped

But i actually like the Cardboard O covers
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
The main reason they use these is to keep people from stealing them. Most DVD thieves just crack open the side of the case but with this slip cover it helps stop this. Think about it. Only the new movies have them, if the movie has been out for a while it doesn't have the slip case.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony11085
The main reason they use these is to keep people from stealing them. Most DVD thieves just crack open the side of the case but with this slip cover it helps stop this. Think about it. Only the new movies have them, if the movie has been out for a while it doesn't have the slip case.
thats not entirely true.

True the older movies dont have them. but technically speaking, these covers did not come out until the last two years. Studios are using the new Side locks for Theft detoring. the Covers are just to add to it.

True them may add to the detorant. but they are re-releasing alot of older movies with the slip case. not just to get buyers to double dip. but because they look nice.

Crimson Tide and Con air both re-released have the covers.

Grease came with a Leather jacket....honestly it cant be for theft protection

but i do understand where you would think that
Old 11-28-2006, 06:29 PM
I really dont like them becuase they seem to be a pain when you try to out them back on. Sometimes you cant exactly get them in and you bend the cover. I keep them on so it protects the dvd case. When I loan them to my parents, I take them off so they dont rip them trying to get them on and off.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
I'll be more than happy to take them from you.

I could use them to perhaps complete my collection and use them for trade for others I need.

I still need the widescreen Monster House slip cover.

As for the trouble of removing and reinserting them, can't say I've had the problem.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't really have a problem with them...actually kinda like them...the only problem is that best buy always puts the price sticker right on the cardboard case and it's always a bitch to get off without leaving any of the sticker behind.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:03 AM
I leave the stickers on it. It denotes what kind of bonus or exclusives that particular store had when it sold it.

If you really want to remove them. Find a product called Un-Du, try Amazon. That's where I bought mine. It's getting harder to find. Unlike other adhesive removers, this is excellent on paper - no stains. And easy to clean up.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't mind them. If I get to choose between 2 dvds, 1 with the cardboard and 1without, I usually go with the cardboard. The bitch of it all is that the cardboard is prone to shelf wear, goddamn I hate shelf wear.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
I look at them as the place to place all of the stickers they have to slap on so they don't stick to the actual case.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:27 PM
i dont really like them, but i can never bring myself to throw them away
Old 11-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Quote:
I leave the stickers on it. It denotes what kind of bonus or exclusives that particular store had when it sold it.

If you really want to remove them. Find a product called Un-Du, try Amazon. That's where I bought mine. It's getting harder to find. Unlike other adhesive removers, this is excellent on paper - no stains. And easy to clean up.
Thanks, I'll have to look into that
Old 11-29-2006, 07:50 PM
I like to keep them on, cause if nothing else, it keeps the actual covers from getting scratched. I always pack some dvds from place to place and its near impossible to keep them completely in tact, so I know that one day when i'm finally settled somewhere and don't have to move them around so much, the actual covers will be in good condition. But by then DVD will probably be out of date.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 PM
wanna a couple of old fashioned tips on removing that sticky stuff from stickers off your dvds

Hairspray and a blow dryer. Just spray a little hairspray on the trouble are and dab at the area with a wet clothe, takes almost all glues off. Hair spray disolves the glue and is very non abrasive and is good for the really hard to remove glue.

For some glue that isn't so hard to remove, take your blowdryer and warm the sticker and dvd case up before removing the sitcker it will almost always come off without leaving any residue.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 AM
i keep the cardboard covers, i also put the dvds with cardboard covers by themself. Cus they are often taller and thicker than regular dvds. So i have them in theyr own place.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Goberg
i keep the cardboard covers, i also put the dvds with cardboard covers by themself. Cus they are often taller and thicker than regular dvds. So i have them in theyr own place.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sirdizzy
removing that sticky stuff from stickers off your dvds

When it comes to removing price stickers from DVDs I've found that for me at least that 95% of the time they come off cleanly (not always in one piece but cleanly none the less) leaving no residue behind.

As for other stickers (i.e. ones that tell you of a free bonus trinket or something like that coming with the DVD), I don't remove them. For example, they're like the logo of the vehicle manufacturer on your vehicle, you wouldn't remove that would you?

Last edited by m_burlock; 11-30-2006 at 01:55 PM..