Old 10-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Question about Sin City

I've read "The Hard Goodbye" and seen the movie. I want to buy a couple more of the books, but I'm not sure if the other two that were featured in the movie are worth buying. Should I buy them even though I've seen the movie?
Old 10-27-2005, 06:02 PM
Yes....reading Sin City and watching it are two very different (yet enjoyable) experiences. be sure to read them in order.

1.) The Hard Goodbye
2.) A Dame to Kill For
3.) The Big Fat Kill

I've read all 3 and loved them all. So....er...good luck with that.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:41 AM
I've read them all and I definitely rate The Hard Goodbye as the best, though some prefer That Yellow Bastard. Some Sin City fans may kill me for saying it but I think everything following That Yellow Bastard is pretty average. You should definitely read the first four though.
Old 11-26-2005, 04:18 AM
Say is sin city something a 12 year old could read???
Old 11-26-2005, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bogey93'
Say is sin city something a 12 year old could read???
It depends on the 12 year old. When I was 12 I was reading James Herbert and Stephen King novels. Pretty adult stuff for a kid. It didn't twist and warp me to any significant extent. There's a lot of adult material in the Sin City novels. A lot of nudity and a whole lot of violence (surprisingly there's almost no profanity). Another factor would be your parents. Would they be upset if they discovered you were reading such adult material? I'd suggest asking for a couple of the books for Xmas. Your parents are likely to give it a more than cursory glance prior to capitulating. Let them make the decision.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
It depends on the 12 year old. When I was 12 I was reading James Herbert and Stephen King novels. Pretty adult stuff for a kid. It didn't twist and warp me to any significant extent. There's a lot of adult material in the Sin City novels. A lot of nudity and a whole lot of violence (surprisingly there's almost no profanity). Another factor would be your parents. Would they be upset if they discovered you were reading such adult material? I'd suggest asking for a couple of the books for Xmas. Your parents are likely to give it a more than cursory glance prior to capitulating. Let them make the decision.
So, how did you know i was the 12 year old?

Just kidding

Well i understand what you mean. I read kurt vonnegut and that has a lot of adult material but then again to agree with you atleast his books don't come with grpahic artwork. I get what youre saying. By the way, just so you know on december 7th a leatherbound box set of the first four sin city novels comes out so any of you who really love sin city should check it out on amazon while i wallow in shame

Again... Just kidding

What about 300? (I know batman is fine, for sure)
Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bogey93'
(I know batman is fine, for sure)
Actually you'd be suprised at the brutality and profanity in some Batman titles, such as The Dark Knight Returns (also by Sin City's Frank Miller) and The Killing Joke. I also thought the brutality of what happens to Batman in Knightfall is pretty hardcore. But then again, I like my Batman stories mature.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:20 PM
Isn't it a rule that you have to be 15 to sign up for this site?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonforce
A. nevr saw such a rule
B. I also don't have my age written down in my profile (not that it matters since i've been telling some people by now )
C. i could be banned knowing that each forum is being moderated and they might not want me here but before they lock me up and throw away the key would you mind making a double?
Old 11-27-2005, 10:16 AM
First Stephen King book I read was PET SEMETARY. I was ten.

It didn't fuck up my life.
Except that I like to kill people in dark alleys at night. But is that so bad?
Old 11-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KcMsterpce
First Stephen King book I read was PET SEMETARY. I was ten.

It didn't fuck up my life.
Except that I like to kill people in dark alleys at night. But is that so bad?
That is not even half as bad as being a motel owner who thinks he is his dead mother who is jealous of her son's love for the girl staying at the motel who kills the girl in the shower, then kills some more, and then goes to any asylum where he/she claims they wouldn't even hurt a fly
Old 11-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonforce
I think it's 13, might be wrong.

Although to be honest, the rule is only there for one reason -- so we won't get a bunch of 11-year-old twats who don't know how to carry on a conversation or type a readable post. Besides, people can always lie about their age -- and then we don't ban them because of their age, we ban them because they behave like twats.

Bogey seems to know how to participate in a conversation, so I don't see why we'd have a problem with him bein' around.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by James Logan
I think it's 13, might be wrong.

Although to be honest, the rule is only there for one reason -- so we won't get a bunch of 11-year-old twats who don't know how to carry on a conversation or type a readable post. Besides, people can always lie about their age -- and then we don't ban them because of their age, we ban them because they behave like twats.

Bogey seems to know how to participate in a conversation, so I don't see why we'd have a problem with him bein' around.
Hehe-haha... you said 'twats'. TWICE! OMG rofl!
Oh, and about the conversation thing... yeah, that's true. I agree.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:23 AM
I've only read Family Values, A Dame to Kill For and Bullets, Broads and Booze, but I'd recommend those.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:47 PM
I love Familey Values.....Miho at her best.

My personal fav is From Hell and Back, the last and longest of the books. Can't wait for it to hit in the third movie.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:39 AM
Hell and Back is bloody fantastic. I love the trip sequence where it's all color and all these characters from different mediums show up. It's the best written and most engaging of all the books.

Johnny Depp would be great as Wallace.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Depp wouldn't be bad at all, course then again I'm convinced the guy could pretty much nail any role.......ever.

Personally as I was reading through it the first person that came into my head was Ethan Hawke..........dunno why, but I think he'd be great as Wallace
Old 11-07-2006, 01:22 AM
I'd also like to see Viggo Mortensen lobby for the Wallace role.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tagia_Romero
I'd also like to see Viggo Mortensen lobby for the Wallace role.
Nooooooo...he's a good actor, he just doesn't strike me as a potential Wallace. Depp seems like the most fit actor for the role. But maybe...just maybe...

Sawyer- LOST
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 AM
Hard Goodbye and Yellow Bastard are the best. The rest are entertaining, but rather average. The only one I haven't read is Hell & Back.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Tuukka
Hard Goodbye and Yellow Bastard are the best. The rest are entertaining, but rather average. The only one I haven't read is Hell & Back.
Their really is something to like about each volume. Though I do remember Broads, Booze, and Bullets being a little on the week side...but it did have one of the greatest side stories in "the Customer is Always Right. I cant believe you skipped right over A Damn to Kill For. BTW, Hell and Back is amazing.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Y'know, both Viggo and Depp can paint. It could add realism if the person who plays Wallace, paints some stuff.

I think the Blue Eyes character is really cool.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sh8dy Milkman
Their really is something to like about each volume. Though I do remember Broads, Booze, and Bullets being a little on the week side...but it did have one of the greatest side stories in "the Customer is Always Right. I cant believe you skipped right over A Damn to Kill For. BTW, Hell and Back is amazing.
Oh, I think they are all quite good. But I think A Hard Goodbye and Yellow Bastard are *great* comic books. One thing that gives them edge over the others is that I think Marv and Hartigan are immediately iconic lead characters, Dwight & Co are more generic tough guys, IMHO.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I think Dwight has a certain appeal as well, and honestly, though I prefer Marv, he is the most fleshed out male character in the series.