Old 11-30-2006, 02:27 AM
black christmas

wow what a classic

and of course olivia hussy was a true beauty.

even if people say she sounds like gollum.

i love the 70`s horror and early 80`s.great time for horror movies.

this is so good ,not everything is explained and cookie cut for the viewers.

and it still holds up today.

great work by bob clark.

and i love the end

spoilers

they leave her drugged in the house alone but i do like how the cop turns the light off lol.

and the great end with the phone ringing.

well fingers crossed for the remake sounds like they`ve gone for gore in it.

it`ll either be a texas chainsaw remake or the godawful the fog remake.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:25 AM
Re: black christmas

Quote:
Originally posted by yorrick brown
it`ll either be a texas chainsaw remake or the godawful the fog remake.
so complete shite either way
Old 11-30-2006, 02:00 PM
lol.

ok it`ll either be a ring remake or ring 2.

but the '74 one was great.

i hope dimension don`t go all 'cursed' on this,i mean theres been reshoots and they were told to add more gore.

where the 1st one had very little gore but still got the job done on scares.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:09 PM

...YAWN!~

Another atrocity in the making.

Bob Clark's 1974 original films ambiguity is masterful and un-equaled,
it was all about great storytelling...

Last edited by the dead one; 11-30-2006 at 08:12 PM..
Old 12-01-2006, 07:37 AM
I can only think that the reason why I have been so excited about the remake is that I hope it opens the eyes of new audiences to the classic original. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker and love watching any kind of horror so I'm looking forward to the revamp but the original needs more respect. I'm not sure what it's like for you folks outside the UK but every horror chart I see, whether it's an all time chart on tv or in a popular movie magazine, BLACK CHRISTMAS never features anywhere near the top or sometimes not at all. Ok I prefer HALLOWEEN, I'm so loyal to that movie nothing can top it for me but BLACK CHRISTMAS is better than all of the movies I see in the lists. THE SHINING, THE EXORCIST, THE OMEN, THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, PSYCHO, ALIEN are all inferior to this classic. I know you won't all agree with me, but whilst these are all classic movies in their own right none of them scared me as much as BLACK CHRISTMAS! And the funny thing about that fact? I had seen all of the previous movies by the time I was 15. I didn't get hold of BLACK CHRISTMAS until I was about 23 because it was unavailable in this country. Figure that out!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
its still not out here.

i only saw it cos its on the internet.

wow lois lane is great in it.
and i have a crush on olivia hussy now lol

its timeless this movie.

bob clark said he tried not to date the movie,by having shots of cars and keeping hair and clothes basic.

can`t wait for the new movie apart from the fact they`ve showing half of it in photos and tv clips and so on.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah I've heard that loads of news about what happens is leaking on the net, but I've managed to steer clear of it all. I personally can't wait for the new one. As far as remakes go I semi trust MORGAN and WONG to do a reasonable job. I've read a few early reviews and one by the UK's EMPIRE magazine was pretty scathing. It gave it one star but also highlighted the fact that the opening 30 minutes are actually pretty decent before it descends into standard stalk 'n' bore fare. That's pretty good for a mag that usually tears slashers apart, let alone remakes. Can't help but think the review indicated that it was better than one star though! Nevermind.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:28 PM
i liked willard so i trust we are in safe hands.

as for empire great mag but i no longer trust there reviews after they gave phantom menace 4 stars lol.

i`m still going to watch it but chances are the zone 1 dvd will be out b4 it gets here.

plus i`m still not sure who the main female character is?.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Dude it must suck to live where you live!!!
In the UK I like to think of us as a mere extention of the US. Theatrical movies are released around about the same time (BLACK CHRISTMAS actually opens here 2 weeks before the states!!) and dvd editions are usually just as good, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

I read in FANGORIA they've purposely NOT put forward a 'lead' female to make it difficult for us to guess who will live and who will die!

Could be good.....could be a bag of shit!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I have never been against remakes of horror flicks. I have actually enjoyed such remakes as Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Dawn of the Dead, and Night of the Living Dead (1990 version) better than the originals. Yes "BLASPHEMY" I know but I just found the originals boring and dated.

Now I repect these films for what the mean to this genre that I love so much ... so don't get it twisted.

I also give most horror films a chance, new and old.

So this brings me to Black Christmas. I have heard about this film for a few years now but never had any REAL desire to go search for it or try downloading it. Then the talk of the remake popped up (and inevitable bitching immediately after) and so i became intrigued. A few days ago I went to pick up Superman Returns and See No Evil on DVD when I stumbled upon Black Christmas. I wanted to check something new out so I bought it, altho fully expecting to be bored because of how old the film is.

The conclusion?

There's no way this remake can hold up to the 'awesomness' that the original is. I mean this 100%. I'm inclined to say this was one of the best horror films I've ever seen. The setting was nice, the characters believeable, and the killer was wonderfully done. I rarely get tense or scared during a horror film these days but Black Christmas got me jittery ... maybe it was cause I was alone in the dark but still. I loved how the phone calls were done, I think those freaked me out the most.

and the ending ...

GREAT stuff.

So like a poster above said, that hopefully this remake will turn on a whole new generation to the 74 classic ... well in the case of this member of the new generation consider that mission accomplished. I fell in love with this movie and will recommend it to any and everyone.

But thats just my two cents!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:42 AM
they don`t make them like that anymore.that ending is kickass leave her in the house zonked out,i wonder what the new movie will do of course they`ll leave it open for part 2 as every horror movie does.

can`t wait texas chainsaw beginings opens this week,anygood.let me guess a girl in a tight top been chased for a hour and 20 min`s lol.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Quote:
they don`t make them like that anymore.that ending is kickass leave her in the house zonked out,i wonder what the new movie will do of course they`ll leave it open for part 2 as every horror movie does.

can`t wait texas chainsaw beginings opens this week,anygood.let me guess a girl in a tight top been chased for a hour and 20 min`s lol.
Definately one of the best endings to a horror movie ever, alongside PHANTASM and HALLOWEEN. I always thought a more interesting road to go down would be a sequel rather than a remake. What happened to Billy? Where did he go at the end? Did he stay in the house? I guess we're living in remake central at the moment so we'll have to wait for a sequel. And that's only IF the new edition does big bucks. I fear it won't!

P.S. - I don't want to big it up too much, but fasten your seatbelt, THE BEGINNING is one hell of a fucking ride. Hope you have a strong stomach.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by the dead one
...YAWN!~

Another atrocity in the making.

Bob Clark's 1974 original films ambiguity is masterful and un-equaled,
it was all about great storytelling...
Hi Dead Dude

It's about time Black Christmas was recognised as "the one that started it all" Not Halloween!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by jagged halo
Hi Dead Dude

It's about time Black Christmas was recognised as "the one that started it all" Not Halloween!
I agree, old friend...

Funny, I was watching the telly tonight and saw the commercial for the remake...it looks like a huge pile of cow dung.

even worse, check this shite out, its from UHM:

Updated synopsis for the film, which reveals more details on the storyline and the background of Billy, but since there's no way to prove its validity at the moment, it'll have to be treated as a rumor. Here's what's posted: The movie tells the story about Billy, a young boy who was abused by his mother as a child. While his mother was cheating on Billy's father, she eventually killed his father and kept Billy in the attic - for good, while she was with her lover and starting a "new" family. As Billy's mother fell pregnant with a daughter and treated her with love, which Billy had never experienced with his mother, Billy came out of the attic after years and brutally murdered his mother and her lover. Cut to present day, a group of seven sorority sisters.

END-

Now, you tell me...a fucking BACKSTORY???

What makes the original work is the fact that we don't get or need one to begin with.
Next to NOTLD, BC has one of the most uncompromising endings in the history of the genre.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
I haven't seen it yet but its on my netflix queue.

I know bout the ending with the killer's eye will that ruin my movie watching experience
Old 12-12-2006, 02:24 PM
no it won`t.

such a good movie.

classic in everyway.

and of course classic ending.

heres a twist for the new movie,don`t have a twist ending !
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Quote:
no it won`t.

such a good movie.

classic in everyway.

and of course classic ending.

heres a twist for the new movie,don`t have a twist ending !
Unfortunately it has one and trust me on this... it BLOWS! Nothing like the original ending wise...think more Friday the 13th Part 7 type of ending...bugh
Old 12-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Arrow
Unfortunately it has one and trust me on this... it BLOWS! Nothing like the original ending wise...think more Friday the 13th Part 7 type of ending...bugh
You mean the killer is defeated by a telepathic chick that summons her dead father to the rescue after the house explodes?

Sounds like they were faithful to the original...
Old 12-16-2006, 04:02 AM
i`m scared now.

tommy jarvis shows up at the end?.

what the f--k is it with every horror movie these days having a twist ending /leaving open for part 2.

boo boo.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:00 PM
BLACK CHRISTMAS

BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974) Directed by Bob Clark of Porky's fame. Predating Halloween by four years, Black Christmas was one of the first slasher films to feature a holiday-themed murder spree. The story centers around a group of sorority sisters menaced by an obscene phone-caller, who subsequently murders them one-by-one in stylishly gruesome manners during the title holiday. The top-notch, all-star cast includes: Olivia Hussey (Romeo and Juliet) as the not-so-innocent heroine; Keir Dullea (2001: A Space Odyssey) as her disturbed musician boyfriend; the great John Saxon (A Nightmare On Elm Street) as the detective on the case; Lynne Griffin (Curtains) and future comedienne Andrea Martin as two of the sorority members; Art Hindle (Invasion Of The Body Snatchers) as Griffinís jock boyfriend; Marian Waldman as the alcoholic house mother; and last, but certainly not least...Margot Kidder (Sisters), who steals the show as the boozy, foul-mouthed Barb, giving the crank caller an obscene dose of his own bloody medicine. This atmospheric fright fest boasts excellent characterizations, and really packs a wallop in the suspense department. Scariest scene: the killerís deranged, watchful eye staring at Hussey through a slightly ajar door! The phone calls are also genuinely disturbing. Simply the best holiday horror ever! My grade: A
Old 12-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Arrow
Dude, what about the rest of the movie? Don't leave us hangin! Should I spend Christmas night watching DREAMGIRLS instead? HaHaHa!
Old 12-18-2006, 02:24 PM
bugger.

i`m tempted to rent f13 7 on video from the local for the twist.

dam i hate been teased lol.

let me guess horror endings?.

killers still alive

its a dream

good guy /girl is the killer

bad guy jumps out right before the credits
Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 PM
What's all this bollocks about the ending being like F13 part 7's ending??!!! You mean nothing much happens, it doesn't leave it open for a sequel, and the credits that roll look like they should be in a straight to cable movie?!!

ANTONIO - Yo dude, long time no see. Remember me?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Well I saw Black Christmas for the first time.

And I thought it was great. I did keep in my mind that this movie came out before Halloween and a ton of the other slasher/suspense films. You can guess some of whats gonna happen next. Quite a few movies did borrow from this. I did guess the ending wrong though.
I thought the lighting and atmosphere really helped the movie. Its funny how the trees and wreaths look exactly like the ones in Christmas Story. I also thought the lack of music helped the movie out.
The acting was good. Though I thought the acting in Halloween was better. But the lead actress in Black Christmas is alot hotter than Jamie Lee Curtis or any of the other Halloween ladies.

Definatly worth watching, especially at this time of year. I still like Halloween more but this one is right up there.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by !MorganOnyx!
What's all this bollocks about the ending being like F13 part 7's ending??!!! You mean nothing much happens, it doesn't leave it open for a sequel, and the credits that roll look like they should be in a straight to cable movie?!!

ANTONIO - Yo dude, long time no see. Remember me?
How could I forget? When I first saw your name in this thread, I thought it was a resurrected topic from about five years ago! Glad to have you back...

Oh, and BTW...if the ending of the new BLACK CHRISTMAS is like FRIDAY THE 13TH-PART 7, I might go on a killing spree myself! Fuck, that was one the worst of the F13 sequels (third from the bottom only slightly better than JGTH or FVJ!)
Old 12-20-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by the dead one
I agree, old friend...

Funny, I was watching the telly tonight and saw the commercial for the remake...it looks like a huge pile of cow dung.

even worse, check this shite out, its from UHM:

Updated synopsis for the film, which reveals more details on the storyline and the background of Billy, but since there's no way to prove its validity at the moment, it'll have to be treated as a rumor. Here's what's posted: The movie tells the story about Billy, a young boy who was abused by his mother as a child. While his mother was cheating on Billy's father, she eventually killed his father and kept Billy in the attic - for good, while she was with her lover and starting a "new" family. As Billy's mother fell pregnant with a daughter and treated her with love, which Billy had never experienced with his mother, Billy came out of the attic after years and brutally murdered his mother and her lover. Cut to present day, a group of seven sorority sisters.

END-

Now, you tell me...a fucking BACKSTORY???

What makes the original work is the fact that we don't get or need one to begin with.
Next to NOTLD, BC has one of the most uncompromising endings in the history of the genre.
I've seen enough of the Cack Christmas remake to know i won't be spending a penny at my local multi-plex to see this shit. Infact i'd rather have dinner with Pol Pot
Old 12-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Antonio
How could I forget? When I first saw your name in this thread, I thought it was a resurrected topic from about five years ago! Glad to have you back...

Oh, and BTW...if the ending of the new BLACK CHRISTMAS is like FRIDAY THE 13TH-PART 7, I might go on a killing spree myself! Fuck, that was one the worst of the F13 sequels (third from the bottom only slightly better than JGTH or FVJ!)
Ha ha exactly dude. FRIDAY THE 13th PART 7 is the worst sequel for me, alongside JASON GOES TO HELL and JASON X! It would've been helped if the gore wasn't trimmed to shit but it still blew donkey dick!
Old 12-21-2006, 03:56 PM
The remake is only an hour and 19 minutes long! That in itself is a bad sign! I think I'll sit this one out, just like I did with the WHEN A STRANGER CALLS remake earlier this year.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:10 PM
hr 19,fudge is that with credits.

i`m not sure once i pay $16 for a ticket then food then parking it does seem worth it.

i might wait to read reviews b4 it comes out,sounds like the making off would off made a better movie lol.

ps i actually liked the last 40 min`s of when a stranger calls,but then i was abit
Old 12-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Yeah ANTONIO is right, WHEN A STRANGER CALLS was THE worst remake so far. It was a pointless, heartless remake. I can't even be assed to talk about the waste of fucking film. However, even though I'm dying to see this remake, I'm so busy I can't find time to get to the bloody cinema. Anyhow, don't be too down on it guys. The British critics seem to be the most harsh motherfuckers in the world when it comes to horrors, especially slashers. But whilst there have been a few negative responses, there has also been a few positives. Now I'm not talking a SCREAM review here (we all know they loved SCREAM), but most critics have said BLACK CHRISTMAS repects the original enough not to put a 'black' mark on it's name, but injects a bit of 'black' humour into the proceedings, as well as some decent death scenes to make it a worthwhile addition to the slasher genre. Sounds a wee bit promising to me.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:34 PM
well great the remake will put people off seeing this.

how the fudge can a xmas tree kill someone.

but the big question is what set of ladies were the better eye candy (don`t get me started on candy kane vs neck.)

mary elizabeth winstead holla

but then again olivia hussey smack that .

so my vote 2006,but olivia husssy and her voice get the black xmas oscar for hotness.

jesus did they even watch this movie ? before they remade it.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:05 PM
I finally saw the original about a week and a half before the remake came to the US and was kicking myself for not seeing it sooner. Great movie. As for the remake, I went in with no expectations and ended up enjoying it on a so-bad-it's-good level.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
how the fudge can a xmas tree kill someone.

"THE GUARDIAN" with Carrie Lowell..
it just wasn't all decked out the holidays.. but it was pretty fierce.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 AM
lol when i 1st saw the guardian i thought bugger i knew i should of watched it at the movies.

but it would seem its not the kevin costner one.

i`ve been punk`d
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 AM
Man was the remake to this movie bad. I mean I don't think I've ever come out of a theater more disgusted than I did the night I left after seeing this.

And being disgusted wasnt because of the going ons, it was because of it's sheer retardedness (is that a word?).

One other thing I want to mention about Black Christmas and how it compares to Halloween. I love Halloween, Michael Myers, and such. Have been a big fan of the series for a long time and as with most people knew about Halloween far before BC.

THAT SAID...

Black Christmas was the better movie IMO. I never once was even remotely afraid of Michael Myers and I saw that flick when I was very young. I just thought it was cool. Just recently I caught BC and was actually disturbed by it. I watched it by myself, in the dark and man was it kick ass.

I think its a mix of Black Christmas not really showin Billy AND the fact that it seemed more real. I think if I would have seen Halloween when it first came out and didnt know about Myers and this 'pure evil' thing it may be different.

I dunno why I felt like sharing this BUT hey ...

Go Black Christmas!

and GO Michael Myers too!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:11 PM
I actually saw Black Christmas last week for the first time. I've been wanting to see it ever since I heard about it, and I saw one copy of the DVD for sale at Best Buy and just went ahead and bought it. Overall, I liked it quite a bit. The POV shots and the house were amazing! Love Olivia Hussey, of course.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:07 AM
I really need to give this movie a second chance, because I don't see the classic that you guys do. I really thought this film sucked to the extreme.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDeadWalk
I really need to give this movie a second chance, because I don't see the classic that you guys do. I really thought this film sucked to the extreme.
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH

* Falls to the ground, shaking uncontrollably, talking jibberish at the disbelief to what he just read *

Ha ha only joking!!!!!................NOT!!! What the FUCK is wrong with you???!!! Did you use your EYES to watch the film, and EARS to hear the film??!!! Or did you sit facing the wrong way whilst listening to WESTLIFE the whole time??!!

Just playing.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
whats wrong with westlife
Old 02-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDeadWalk
I agree. But I think another viewing (after having severely low expectations) should work nicely.