Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Ulysses by James Joyce

Alright, so I'm ordering it. Anyone try to plow through it? Any thoughts? I am a fan of Dubliners and think Joyce had incredible wit. Plus his techniques are quite as fascinating as often said.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:51 AM
Joyce/Faulkner/Proust might be great classic writers but I personally can't stand their style. I read only the most important parts of "Ulysses" (namely Molly Bloom's inner speech) and although I found the style an interesting thing to develop a character (Leopold is interesting almost immediately), I personally can't read more than a couple of paragraphs in stream-of-conciousness without losing patience.

But if you enjoy "Ulysses", try "As I Lay Dying" by William Faulkner. You might enjoy it.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 03-21-2007 at 01:54 AM..
Old 03-21-2007, 11:22 AM
tried several time I have no idea what the book is talking about. Just too hard for me.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
tried several time I have no idea what the book is talking about. Just too hard for me.
Yeah, you can only read stuff like

"Remember when I yes saw myself walking down old lighthouse that was covered in that green moss moss like the one from the river like Leo's house I broke my arm there yes."

For so long before closing the book.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I haven't read this, but it's my mom's favorite book (or one of them, I think she said it was the book the respected the most), and according to her (English major/teacher/professor with a masters or two for what its worth) it's a lost cause to even touch Ulysses on your own. She says its the type of book that can only really be appreciated if your reading it in a class. Not my words, just something to consider.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerslave
I haven't read this, but it's my mom's favorite book (or one of them, I think she said it was the book the respected the most), and according to her (English major/teacher/professor with a masters or two for what its worth) it's a lost cause to even touch Ulysses on your own. She says its the type of book that can only really be appreciated if your reading it in a class. Not my words, just something to consider.
Oh and she's absolutely right.