Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Stephen King Gives Dark Tower Fans Something To Marvel At...

Here's some amazing news for all you Dark Tower fans (and there's a lot of you). Marvel has signed Stephen King to write a comic that will delve into the past of Roland Deschain. I haven't read beyond The Gunslinger myself but being that i'm a huge King fan and an avid comic book reader I think this sounds like an awesomely cool project. The mega talented Jae Lee is on art duties. Here's the official statement.

STEPHEN KING BREAKS NEW GROUND AT MARVEL WITH ORIGINAL COMIC SERIES BASED ON HIS EPIC THE DARK TOWER

New Comic Series Exploring the Origin of the Notorious Gunslinger Character Marks First Time Stephen King Has Produced Original Content for the Comic Book Format.
Marvel Comics to Launch First Issue in April 2006.

NEW YORK – World Fantasy Award-winning writer Stephen King, long acknowledged as the master of modern horror, and Marvel Comics join forces this spring to launch a ground-breaking new comic book series adapted from King's magnum opus, The Dark Tower.

The comic series will mark the first time Stephen King has produced original content for an ongoing comic book project. The series will expand the saga of King’s epic hero, Roland Deschain, whose quest to save the Dark Tower is captured in seven best-selling novels published over the course of twenty-five years. King’s unparalleled storytelling power will inform new stories that delve into the life and times of the young Roland, revealing the trials and conflicts that lead to the burden of destiny he must assume as a man, the last Gunslinger from a world that has moved on. The comics will work in conjunction with the novels, further supplementing and defining the saga’s mythology under the direction of the acclaimed author himself.

"As a lifelong fan of Marvel comic books, and as an adult reader who’s seen comics "come of age" and take their rightful place in the world of fantasy and science fiction, I’m excited to be a part of Roland's new incarnation," said Stephen King.

The series will be illustrated by Eisner-award winning artist Jae Lee.

King continued, "I love Jae Lee's work, and I think this is going to be a dynamite partnership. Frankly, I can’t wait."

The first issue is scheduled to debut in April, 2006 with a hard cover collection of the first 6 issues released Holiday, 2006. Fans will start seeing promotional items – which feature more info in the series – beginning this December.

Old 10-30-2005, 05:09 PM
That's cool news, I'm subscribing to this!
Old 10-31-2005, 11:31 AM
HOLY SHIT!!! this is awesome, i read really slow (partly cuz im' an idiot, partly cuz i dont have time) but i haven't even finished the dark tower series, and i love it and i can't wait for these
Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM
this shit comes out today...
Old 02-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Definitely picking it up. Was really interested in the series, but could never get into it cos of King's writing (he was great writing his horror novels, but I just didn't like his fantasy writing). Plus, I'd rather see images than imagine them.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Really, it's out now? I thought it was set for a MARCH release!

Well,shit! Now I have a reason to go to the comic's shop!
Old 02-10-2007, 10:49 AM
i dont even think i'm gonna shower b4 i head up to the comic book shop now!
Old 02-10-2007, 02:50 PM
A friend of mine got me the first issue with the variant cover for my birthday. I am really looking forward to reading it today.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Its a pretty good read..and the art is amazing.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KcMsterpce
A friend of mine got me the first issue with the variant cover for my birthday. I am really looking forward to reading it today.
yea i went and picked it up yesterday, awesome stuff, the varient cover was super expensive wasn't it?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cocksmokinclerk
yea i went and picked it up yesterday, awesome stuff, the varient cover was super expensive wasn't it?
I have absolutely no idea how much it cost, but it was cool of him to get it for me. He's a total comicbook geek, I love reading comics, and I'm a HUGE King fan, so he knew I wanted this before I mentioned interest in it over a year ago.
It was released at the perfect time!
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Quote:
I have absolutely no idea how much it cost, but it was cool of him to get it for me. He's a total comicbook geek, I love reading comics, and I'm a HUGE King fan, so he knew I wanted this before I mentioned interest in it over a year ago.
It was released at the perfect time!
lol, nice, when i got mine they had that varient cover right next to it, and i might have read the hand-written price tag wrong but i thought it was $25 which doesn't sound right but i dont really know, why dont you ask him (if its not weird) and get back to me
Old 02-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cocksmokinclerk
lol, nice, when i got mine they had that varient cover right next to it, and i might have read the hand-written price tag wrong but i thought it was $25 which doesn't sound right but i dont really know, why dont you ask him (if its not weird) and get back to me
I think that $25 is about right. I called a comics shop and asked.

Yikes, that's steep!

(Decides not to read the last half of the comic, and carefully places it back into the slipcase, bagged and boarded.)
Old 02-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Quote:
I think that $25 is about right. I called a comics shop and asked.

Yikes, that's steep!

(Decides not to read the last half of the comic, and carefully places it back into the slipcase, bagged and boarded.)
damn! that must be a really great friend
Old 03-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I read issue 2, and also all the extra storytelling from volume 1 as well as 2.

I'm really digging it! The art is amazing, the narration really started to find an even better voice in part 2, and I feel that the extra 10 pages of storytelling of Roland's world's history is fascinating, as well as bringing a sense of more depth to what you're reading beforehand.
Plus, extra reading gives me a feeling of getting more bang for the buck.