Old 04-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Tortilla Flat

I think this is the most mis-read book that Steinbeck wrote...he was so angry that is was so popular because people were liking it for all the wrong reasons...he said that if he knew that the characters would be seen as bums he owuld have never wrote it...people I think use the book to justify their own prejudices...the responses in my class on the book were about 50/50 but those that didnt like it seemed to always find something negative to say about the paisanos way of life

I adapted a scene for a presentation..I wrote the script and it came out really good, I think...my professor and the class liked it but especially my professor and being that she is a Steinbeck expert...that means a lot.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM
did you write this scene on the computer,if so copy and paste some off it.

so i can have a read.

thanks
Old 04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
*we only had four members in our group so I had to delete Pablo's part

INT- INSIDE OF DANNYíS HOUSE

DANNY
We must watch him.

PILON
But I have watched him. Itís hard to follow him with those dogs guarding him like devils.

JESUS MARIA
It may be an impossible task while he lives in that chicken house, but suppose he lived here. Wouldnít that make it much easier to keep an eye on him?

DANNY
But the dogs. He would bring the dogs with him.

PILON
Yes, but they are good dogs. If we tell him to leave the dogs in one corner he will tell them and the dogs will listen.

DANNY
I guess thereís no other choice but to pay him a visit.

Men exit.

INT- INSIDE OF THE PIRATEíS HOUSE- DAY

Knock on the pirates door

DANNY
How are you doing this evening?

PIRATE
Iím doing all right. The weather has been bad. Would you believe that I found a tick as big as a pigeonís egg on Rudolphís neck. This place is much too small. It is not fit for anyoneís friends to visit. But it is warm and snug, especially for the dogs.

PILON
We do not know why you choose to live in such filth. This life is no good for any man. Only sickness and death can come from such a dreadful state. It would bring us great peace if you would come and live with us at our home.

PIRATE
Your home? Are you sure?

DANNY
Yes we talked it over and decided that would be in the best interest of all of us.

PIRATE
What about the dogs? Do you want the dogs, too?

PILON
Yes of course there will be a whole corner set aside just for the dogs.

The Pirate takes a moment to think.

PIRATE
Okay. Starting tomorrow I will come and stay with you at your home.

PILON
Thank you friend. That is great news to us.

Men exit

JESUS MARIA
He is going to be happy with us.

DANNY
Poor little lonely man. If I had known I would have asked him long ago. Even if he had no treasure.

INT.- INSIDE OF DANNYíS HOUSE- DAY

They all sit around drinking wine.

PIRATE
I really do enjoy the hospitality you have shown me.

DANNY
There is no need to thank us. You are our friend, it is our duty.

The moods goes quiet.

PILON
You know I had an uncle, a regular miser, who hid all his gold in the woods. One day he went out to dig it up and it was gone. Somebody had found and stole it. The loss brought him great pain and as a result he hanged himself.

They keep a close eye on the Pirateís reaction. Danny continues.

DANNY
I had a grandfather who owned this house and he also buried money. I do not know how much he buried but he was known as a wealthy man so I imagine it was a pretty good amount of money. He dug a deep hole, buried the money inside, and tried to cover it as best he could. But when he came back the hole had been dug up and the money was gone.

Another moment of silence before Pilon speaks.

PILON
I also had a cousin who was a very clever man and was good at hiding money where no one else could find it. You may have seen him on the wharf. He collects fish heads to make soup out of. That is my cousin. Someone stole his money.

JESUS MARIA
Yes the guy that stand in front of the market begging for change also was a great man in his day. He had a nice little business going and was beginning to accumulate a small fortune. Well he tried burying it in his own backyard and when he had his plans made to buy another house he went to dig up the money and it was gone.

DANNY
Same thing happened to a neighbor that I use to have. Someone stole his money right from his backyard. So there is on real safe place. It is best to keep oneís money close, to spend some now and then, and give a little to oneís friends.

They notice the worried look on the Pirateís face.

PILON
Well itís getting late. We better call it a night.

The men exit and the Pirate is left alone. He looks in the direction of where his money might be buried, before he also walks out.

Danny and Jesus Maria stand around when Pilon walks up.

DANNY
So what news do you have for us?

PILON
I have no news that will bring pleasure. The task of following the Pirate is an impossible one.

DANNY
How so?

PILON
Well he knows every tree in the forest and he seems to possess eyes that see in the darkness.

DANNY
Maybe if we were all to follow him.

JESUS MARIA
Perhaps if the Pirate had a little wine in him he would not disappear so easily.

PILON
That is a good idea.

DANNY
So then itís set. Tomorrow night we get the pirate drunk.

They all walk towards the house and the Pirate stands outside to greet them.

PIRATE
Iím afraid I was not truthful to you guys. I told you that I had no money, but I did not know about my friends then. I have heard your stories about money being stolen and it has made me afraid again. Only last night did I think of a solution. My money will be safe with my friends. No one can steal my money if my friends guard it for me.

The men look at him in shock.

DANNY
Take your money back to the woods and hide it. We do not want to watch it.

PIRATE
No. I would not feel safe hiding it. But I will be happy knowing my friends guard it for me. You would not believe it, but the last two nights someone has followed me into the forest. I think they are after my money.

Pilon looks at the money.

PILON
Before this money is put into our hands, maybe you would like to take some out.

PIRATE
No it is promised. I almost have enough to buy a gold candle-stick for San Francisco de Assisi. One I had a dog who got sick and I promised a gold candle-stick of one thousand days if that dog would get well and that dog got well.

PILON
Is it one of these dogs?

PIRATE
No. A truck ran him over a little later.

The men all stare at the money.

PIRATE (CONTíD)
To think all those years I lay in that chicken house, and I did not know any pleasure. But now...oh, now I am very happy.

Last edited by silentasylum; 04-06-2007 at 10:09 AM..
Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 PM
thats good work,very good work.nice adaptation

did your teacher give you a A.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I dont know yet but it sounded like an A from her reaction...thank you...I'm gald that you enjoyed it.