Old 12-23-2006, 03:20 PM
"Rant" by Chuck Palahniuk

His new book is due in FREAKING MAY!

So I have quite a few things to look forward to next summer.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:47 PM
I've only read "Fight Club," and while it truly was a piece of literary genius and a gem amongst works of cultural satire, I actually preferred the screenplay for Fincher's classic.

(anyone else think that cover art is what Robin would look like if he got hit by a semi-truck? First thing that came to mind...)
Old 12-26-2006, 04:42 PM
Now that you mention it....
Old 12-30-2006, 07:40 PM
I know nothing about it but the fact that Chuck wrote it is reason enough to buy it.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Chuck Palahniuk is the Quentin Tarantino of the book world.

Hmm, this is great and original!

[size=0.001]Psst.. That's only because you haven't read Bret Easton Ellis.[/size]
Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 PM
anyone know what its about ?.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yorrick brown
anyone know what its about ?.
Rant takes the form of a (fictional) oral history of Buster "Rant" Casey, in which an assortment of friends, enemies, admirers, detractors, and relations have their say on this evil character, who may or may not be the most efficient serial killer of our time.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Scarfather
Chuck Palahniuk is the Quentin Tarantino of the book world.

Hmm, this is great and original!

[size=0.001]Psst.. That's only because you haven't read Bret Easton Ellis.[/size]

I don't consider Chuck P. to be the Quentin Tarantino of the book world.
By the way, sarcasm doesn't come off very well online.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cerealkiller182
Rant takes the form of a (fictional) oral history of Buster "Rant" Casey, in which an assortment of friends, enemies, admirers, detractors, and relations have their say on this evil character, who may or may not be the most efficient serial killer of our time.
I gotta say, this sounds damn good.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Great, I didn't know he had a new book coming out this year. I've read all of his other fiction work, so I'll be picking this up for sure.

I'll probably wait for the softcover to come out though.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:14 PM
im going to get it in hardcover
Old 02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
love the concept. can't wait for this to come out.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:38 AM
I usually love his stuff but Haunted shook my faith in him quite a bit. It was an interesting book, just too damn violent for me, and I love violence in movies/books. God help me if Rant has any miscarrage stew.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I haven't read 'Haunted'.

Miscarriage stew? Nastiness!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Quote:
I haven't read 'Haunted'.
I'd stay far far away from it if I were you. He's done soo much better. Hopefully Rant will be a return to form.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 AM
i like some of haunted.

the short story "guts" wasn`t as bad as i thought it would be.

i did like some of his ideas in it.

spoilers

people been killed by a foot assain

bowling ball as a weapon.

that the guy we thought was old was actually young and was blackmailling woman that slept with him

and the whole cassandra storyline.

on short i liked the short storys but the actually story was ho hum.

i thought it was better then choke.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:00 PM
I enjoyed the short stories present in the book, but the overall story was what did me in. I made it till they started cutting off parts and hoped it would get better. When the lady was prying fingernails off while telling her story it got to be too much(fingernails being pried off so casually just bothered the shit out of me.)
Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I actually liked the story "Guts" too
I didn't know that was from "Haunted"
Old 05-02-2007, 01:09 PM
I got my copy yesterday! woo!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Got my copy but i have to much damn schoolwork to read it
Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Great week for books!

I'll be getting this and The Yiddish Policeman's Union over the weekend.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:06 AM
Got my copy today. I'm glad I didn't end up waiting for the softcover, the hardcover book's design is great.

Too bad I won't get to read it for a while, I've still got a long way to go on the book I'm currently reading.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 PM
I am going to get this later this week. Cant wait to start reading it. The concept sounds great.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Just finished reading this and I thought it was terriffic. I've never read a book written this way (where other people tell another mans story) but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Like all of his books there are chapters or sections that really don't belong and do not make any sense but none-the-less there is always a deeper meaning. I plan on re-reading this over the summer because there is just so much packed in I just know I missed some things.

I've read all of Chucky P's books and this may be the best yet. Though, I don't think it is movie material.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:59 PM
i'm 100 pages in and so far so good. it's been a while since i've read a Palahniuk and i am loving it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:44 PM
good ending?.is there a kind of surpise or twist like his other books
Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yorrick brown
good ending?.is there a kind of surpise or twist like his other books
*SPOILERS*

Yes.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I was really surprised with this book. I went into it not expecting much. I still havent made it all the way through Diary and I didnt like Haunted at all, but Rant ended up my favorite book of his out of them all. I loved how it started off like his others(character wise) with charactors who were dark and not necessarily good people, but then went somewhere completily different.

SPOILERS

I loved how this book became a hard sci fi novel. It was so much like our world except for one or two small differences. I just loved where he went with the time travel thing.

End SPILERS
Old 06-29-2007, 01:38 AM
A question for those who've read it:

*SPOILERS*

Do you think at the end when it's discussing the contributors the book doesn't mention Waxman and Echo Lawrence because they've been erased(reached immortality)? Unless Waxman didn't contribute, I can't remember right now.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by underscore_only
A question for those who've read it:

*SPOILERS*

Do you think at the end when it's discussing the contributors the book doesn't mention Waxman and Echo Lawrence because they've been erased(reached immortality)? Unless Waxman didn't contribute, I can't remember right now.
On the Echo Lawrence side I figured it was because she had been erased. I dont rememebr about waxman right now, but I might give it another look.