Old 08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
It by Stephen King

I've been strongly considering picking this one up. I don't like King generally, but the story has intrigued me immensely and it surely must be better than any made-for-SciFi-Channel film or watered-down miniseries.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
It's a fantastic book. Read it if you're even remotely interested.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Read it, it's by far King's best, of what I've read. Not only is it an amazing horror story, it's also just a great story. The characters are just as, or more, memorable and interesting than the actual story.

Oh yeah, and the miniseries is abominable, especially in comparison to the book.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:40 AM
the book is sooooooo much better than the mini-series, the series left out so many important character elements and parts of the plot from the book which make the story a hell of a lot better and more interesting, definitely one of King's best (possibly even his best book). i couldn't put it down after i started reading it so i'd definitely say give it a go
Old 08-18-2007, 02:58 AM

I'll add a fourth voice to the mix.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Read it. If you dont like this then you dont like King cause this is one of his best.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:32 PM
I liked it alot, but felt the first half or so was prettty repetitive. I mean it was good, butafter seeing the mini series I kept waiting for it to be a lot different, and kinda thought the kids only thinking up 'movie monsters' was a cheap cop out. The Leper was the best of IT's incarnations, frankly, because it was deeper than just a classic monster.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:19 PM
How was it a cheap cop-out. The point was the creatue preyed on children's fears, fears that were placed there becuase of what they saw in pop culture specifically the movies at that time and place. It wasn't a cop-out it made sense to the time and the setting.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by chinton
How was it a cheap cop-out. The point was the creatue preyed on children's fears, fears that were placed there becuase of what they saw in pop culture specifically the movies at that time and place. It wasn't a cop-out it made sense to the time and the setting.
All I mean was he could have been more original. 4 or 5 ouuta the 7 were afraid of the mummy, dracula, werewolf, the eye etc.And then Frankenstein.

I dobt think he needed them ALL to get his point across about kids being afraid of movies - kids are afraid of other things too.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:46 PM
IT was ok besides being ver very very long. If you have the time, read it.

The best King book IMO is Misery, you should read that instead, it was so much better than the movie
Old 08-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
It's a fantastic book. Read it if you're even remotely interested.
True. However, patience is a virtue reading this book, as is having a really open mind. You'll see why in the later chapters.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Possible Spoilers...

Quote:
Originally posted by adamjohnson
All I mean was he could have been more original. 4 or 5 ouuta the 7 were afraid of the mummy, dracula, werewolf, the eye etc.And then Frankenstein.

I dobt think he needed them ALL to get his point across about kids being afraid of movies - kids are afraid of other things too.
Fair enough, but the Rodan part remains one of my favorite things in that whole book.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjohnson

I do think the apparitions made all the sense in the world, but there was one thing that bothered me, and that was the lack of imagination in many of the 'scary' occurences.

Like that bit with the pictures with Bill. He dips his finger into the picture and it gets scraped or something. Come on, King, I'm sure you can do something far scarier and imaginative than that.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:09 AM
It was an ok novel, very sprawling but it was somehow was able to hold a solid backbone. As mentioned, it was far better than the lameass T.V. miniseries. I read it five years ago but that's what I recall.