Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2007, 01:57 AM
Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 -- Joss Whedon ventures into comic books.

"I didn't want a show a thousand people like; I wanted a show a hundred people need."
-Joss Whedon, on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Buffy, one of the most popular shows ever for the good or the bad, ended in 2003 after 7 years on air. Since then, the cult behind it has been enough to launch a series of novels, of comic books, videogames, and more.

But now, we're getting a new sort of memo--
The one fans actually give a shit about.

Apparently Joss Whedon announced some time ago his interest in bringing back Buff's adventures, but this time, it'd be in the format of a comic book. While there had been Buffy comics before, this are the first that will be consider 'canon' by Joss Whedon, who's writing the story almost in its entirety. This is essentially an eighth season of Buffy, according to Whedon.

"Since the destruction of the Hellmouth, the Slayers--newly legion--have gotten organized and are kicking some serious undead butt. But not everything's fun and firearms, as an old enemy reappears and Dawn experiences some serious growing pains ."

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer #1: The Long Way Home Part 1" is going to be finally released by Dark Horse comics on March 7th, 2007. There are quite a few interviews where Whedon's excitement is quite visible (here's an interesting one).

I've never read a comic book outside "Calvin and Hobbes" strips (which are hardly the same thing) but, as a huge Buff fan, I'll be finding a way to pick each issue of this series and continue with the Buff story. Hopefully it'll be as good (though it won't be as enjoyable) as its TV counterpart.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Can't wait...it would be nice if he would eventually get around to creating a "canon" Angel comic series.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Whedon first tried comics when he wrote the story for Those Left Behind, a Serenity prequel book if you will. It turned out well enough.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:22 AM
i rather he brought back angel,as that ending still peeves me off.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm a comic book junkie and Buffy is, on the whole, a televisual masterpiece. So i'm getting this.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:33 AM
I watched the first couple seasons on TV but then is just got too weird to follow so I stopped watching.

I think it's a cool idea that they can keep continuing seasons in comic books after the show is canceled. Actually I take that back, it's a bloody genius idea and I hope it's successful so other shows catch on.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
I'm a comic book junkie and Buffy is, on the whole, a televisual masterpiece. So i'm getting this.
you and me both
Old 02-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Looks like Giles and Xander won't be on the first issue (but they'll be characters in the comics, don't worry). Odd, because in that exposition first few pages she mentions how she still has 'her watcher'.

Look here for the first 5 pages of the first issue. Just click where it says "NEXT PAGE" above the image.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know if this starts immediatly after season 7....or after Angel ended?

Cause if I have to read through the Immortal nonsense that will not be fun.

Edit- Ahhhhh nevermind....preveiw took care of that nicely.

Last edited by newbreedleader; 02-26-2007 at 11:26 AM..
Old 02-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newbreedleader
Does anyone know if this starts immediatly after season 7....or after Angel ended?

Cause if I have to read through the Immortal nonsense that will not be fun.

Edit- Ahhhhh nevermind....preveiw took care of that nicely.
Yeah, it's explained, but I do think that it's set a year after season seven's finale.

**Buff finale spoilers*

It's going to be extremely interesting to see Whedon playing around with the idea of hundreds of slayers.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
interesting.........AND enjoyable.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Anybody know when the first issue is released, and if it already has been what was it like?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Nightcrawler
Yeah, it's explained, but I do think that it's set a year after season seven's finale.

**Buff finale spoilers*

It's going to be extremely interesting to see Whedon playing around with the idea of hundreds of slayers.
Well, isnt it in a post-apocolyptic world after Angel's finale? THAT would be really interesting. And if thats the case, frankly, I can see why they wouldnt greenlight another season of it.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjohnson
Well, isnt it in a post-apocolyptic world after Angel's finale? THAT would be really interesting. And if thats the case, frankly, I can see why they wouldnt greenlight another season of it.
I don't know anything about Angel, never saw it, but if it really is a post-apocalyptic world then it should be very interesting.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Quote:
I don't know anything about Angel, never saw it, but if it really is a post-apocalyptic world then it should be very interesting.
Angel was a damn good show. Angel basically sacrifices the earth to the wrath of the big bads for a small, moral victory - just to show that humans wont go without a fight.

The 'slayer army' makes an appearance in season 5 when one of the slayers turns out to be a pyscho and cuts off Spike's hands.

It's also unclear as to whether or not Angel and his crew survive the apocolypse.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by adamjohnson
Angel was a damn good show. Angel basically sacrifices the earth to the wrath of the big bads for a small, moral victory - just to show that humans wont go without a fight.

The 'slayer army' makes an appearance in season 5 when one of the slayers turns out to be a pyscho and cuts off Spike's hands.

It's also unclear as to whether or not Angel and his crew survive the apocolypse.

*SPOILER*

I think the general concensus was that the battle was won. Granted I don't know the true end result. The fact that Dawn is attending college does seem to hint that its not so post-apocalyptic.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by mutesaint
*SPOILER*

I think the general concensus was that the battle was won. Granted I don't know the true end result. The fact that Dawn is attending college does seem to hint that its not so post-apocalyptic.
Dawn is attending college?

Did she only do 2 years of High School or what?
Old 03-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Dawn is attending college?

Did she only do 2 years of High School or what?
Well it did blow up.

Season 5 of Angel always hinted that Buff and Dawn toured Europe, so she probably home-schooled.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Just got done with issue #1. I liked it. I think Joss is doing the right thing here. Taking things in directions that a TV budget just wouldn't have allowed. I found some of the scenes a little bit jarring for this reason but eventually got into the groove of the thing. The first issue was a bit low key but I think that's intentional. The characters required a bit of a dusting off and this issue went about this in an entertaining fashion. It was also a good idea to not overwhelm the story by trying to shoehorn every important character from the Buffyverse into the first issue. I'm fine with the absence of Willow, Giles etc for the moment. What i'm curious about is this. Will he be incorporating any of the characters from Angel into the story. I doubt it. IDW seem to have the rights to Angel at the moment and have already reeled out quite a number of moderately entertaining minis. So...off to a great start. But I think it's going to get a lot better.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Psychocandy
What i'm curious about is this. Will he be incorporating any of the characters from Angel into the story. .
In interviews Joss has stated that he was going to only when he felt the plot called for it. Issue #1 was great...I'm glad that the Buffyverse didn't die with the shows.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm glad to read these positives on the first issue. I'm going to find a way to get my hands on it, but it'll be tough.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yorrick brown
i rather he brought back angel,as that ending still peeves me off.
Really? Because I found the ending very satisfying, even though much of that last season - even with the addition of Spike to the cast - was rather uneven (except for that terrific Illyria storyline...well the beginning of it anyways).

Speaking of Illyria, why isn't Amy Acker doing, like, ANYTHING? She's a decent, attractive actress; I could see her doing some great character actress work.

As for the Buffy comic, I'm eagerly awaiting for my copy to arrive any day now...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilHenchman
Really? Because I found the ending very satisfying, even though much of that last season - even with the addition of Spike to the cast - was rather uneven (except for that terrific Illyria storyline...well the beginning of it anyways).

Speaking of Illyria, why isn't Amy Acker doing, like, ANYTHING? She's a decent, attractive actress; I could see her doing some great character actress work.

As for the Buffy comic, I'm eagerly awaiting for my copy to arrive any day now...
Amy Acker is one of the most attractive actresses there are. I need to see here in other places.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Amy Acker is one of the most attractive actresses there are. I need to see here in other places.

I know the other places you mention id love to see them too She was actually on an episode of Supernatural a while back, looked fantastic.

I havent read the comic yet but my friends girlfriend has ordered them all and shes keeping me informed on whats going on. She let me borrow the entire show seasons 1-7 to get caught up. I still think theyll release a trade at the end of all the comics.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by NuclearMisfit
I still think theyll release a trade at the end of all the comics.
They better. I watched all 7 seasons of buffy and angel as they aired(Im a whedonite) and can't do without my season 8 of Buffy.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Quote:
They better. I watched all 7 seasons of buffy and angel as they aired(Im a whedonite) and can't do without my season 8 of Buffy.
Dude, you're on a roll.

Anyway. Anyone knows if these comics can be bought at any bookstore? My brother is currently at the states and I was hoping he might pick these up for me.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:08 PM
Okay just got done reading the first two issues.
I'm very confused.

*Spoilers*

Now, I really liked the characters' introductions (especially Willow's) and some of these look like they're going to create some interesting plotlines (what's with giant Dawn?). Great to see that the new Big Bad is going to be a familiar face. But what the fuck happened in the second half of the second issue? Anyone help?

*Spoilers end*

But I'm completely in love with how Buffy it all feels. Sure, the settings and all that are completely bizarre and it all seems so new but I love how the characters are still the characters and the untouched Whedon-brand dialogue and sense of humor.

Last edited by X-Nightcrawler; 04-17-2007 at 10:13 PM..
Old 04-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Quote:
*Spoilers*

Now, I really liked the characters' introductions (especially Willow's) and some of these look like they're going to create some interesting plotlines (what's with giant Dawn?). Great to see that the new Big Bad is going to be a familiar face. But what the fuck happened in the second half of the second issue? Anyone help?

*Spoilers end*

So who is the big bad? I know I know. Its a spoiler. I dont care. I want to know.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:14 AM
Quote:
So who is the big bad? I know I know. Its a spoiler. I dont care. I want to know.
SPOILER

Well, at least in this arc, it's Amy. You probably remember her from season 2 and briefly in season 6. She's the witch that got turned into a rat. Apparently she's all powerful now.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Wow. I was not expecting that. Yet, it fits. I hope they make a great big bad.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Man...I'm a fuckin' slacker...I JUST got the first 3 issues (issue 4 next week for me, since they sold out)....I'm eager to read this, so I'm glad I didn't read any spoilers.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Phawk. I haven't read anything past the second issue because the store where I can get them is so far away. I hope they have 3 and 4 already.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Anybody catching up on these?

Just read the new one with Faith....*salivates freely*