Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM
Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

The item on the main page about Ben Kingsley being cast as Dr. Cawley inspired me to post this. This was such an amazing book, it's the only book I've ever actually finished in one sitting. I can't believe the hate that it gets, I loved it, especially the ending.

I'm excited that Scorsese is handling it and DiCaprio is goin to play the part, and Mark Ruffalo and Kingsley are perfect for the parts they've been cast in.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
i hated the ending but i loved everything else.

wow what a great cast they`ve got for this.might have to dust of the book and re read.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Why do people hate the ending? I don't get it.

*SPOILERS*

I remember leading up to it that it was going to be a terrible ending because the book was just getting weirder and weirder and they were going to find some stupid way to tie it all up. But the way Lehane chose is perfect in my mind, he acknowledges that of course the plot of the book is completely fucked up, cause it's all in a insane person's head. To me that validates every weird twist the story makes.

*END SPOILERS*

But maybe that's just me. Judging by the reaction I guess it is just me.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by movieme07 View Post
Why do people hate the ending? I don't get it.

*SPOILERS*

I remember leading up to it that it was going to be a terrible ending because the book was just getting weirder and weirder and they were going to find some stupid way to tie it all up. But the way Lehane chose is perfect in my mind, he acknowledges that of course the plot of the book is completely fucked up, cause it's all in a insane person's head. To me that validates every weird twist the story makes.

*END SPOILERS*

But maybe that's just me. Judging by the reaction I guess it is just me.

no your not alone .i just wanted something different or expected something better for a tie up from lehane.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:51 PM
I think the ending is perfect for the book but at the same time, it's a shame because it's 1. extremely predictable and 2. been done before SOOOOOOO many times.

Which is why I think, when people see it onscreen, they'll be disappointed cause there's been so many damn twists exactly like it.

But the rest of the novel is awesome and will make an awesome film. It's one of my favorites and after the consecutive disappointments of The Black Dahlia and Gone Baby Gone for me (two of my favorite books) and possibly The Golden Compass (based on the word-of-mouth), this one looks like it might be the one to break the streak.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Annoyed at the Ending:(

This book had so much potiential. Up until the 'twist' at the end it was perhaps the best reading experience I had ever had.

Does anyone know any great 'monster hospital' movies? Movies with a mystery and evil experiments and scenes with the inmates running the asylum.

These were the themes I loved about the book. It's classic elements that we are all so familiar with yet strangley never experienced the thrill of reading/watching before.

Then to have that unoriginal ending which makes the whole story moot.
Wouldn't it have been great if we had a satisfying 'Total Recall' ending where we still think that 'maybe' Teddy could be insane, but we still have things nicely wrapped up with a grounded ending given to us aswell.

Anyway I love Scorsese and I love Leo and I think together they are amazing. So lets see if Scorsese can find a way to mess with the book sufficiently to keep the central themes while improving it 100 fold just like Fincher did to Fight Club.

Fingers Crossed