Old 02-08-2001, 01:28 PM
(VIDEO) "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" (8/10)

"I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" A Brock Landers Overview of A Comedy that is One Bad Mutha...(8/10) [short & sweet version]

"I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" is probably one of the greatest genre spoofs ever made...dare I say, right up there with "Airplane". I am not exaggerating by any means, it truly is an inspired comic masterpiece whose roots come from the black exploitation genre...films like "Truck Turner", "Superfly", "Shaft", etc. For fans of "Scary Movie", this film has lots more of the Wayans wit, and overall I think it is a better film...

Keenan Ivory Wayans stars as Jack Spade, a man who just got out of the Army and has returned home to "Harlem". What he finds when he gets there is that his brother Junebug has been murdered (made to look like an OG...or "Over Gold"...think overdose). The prime suspect is Mr. Big, the man that Junebug worked for, and so recruiting the help of his hero, John Slade, and his team of blaxploitation refugees including Isaac Hayes, Jim Brown, Antonio Fargas and Steve James, Jack Spade and company go into the underworld to shake things up...

The rest of "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka" is full of Spade and his gang of notable notoriety dodging hilarious sight gags...slipping by witty genre in-jokes and wading through poignant inner-city commentary with the greatest of ease. The jokes flow non-stop and every one of them works. It probably helps that I am somewhat familiar with the genre, but for the most part anybody can get it. The acting is really strong as well, with cameos by Ariana Richards, Clarence Williams III, Damon Wayans, Chris Rock, Eve Plumb and David Alan Grier. In my mind, it's a must see, and at the very least it's worth a rental...keep an eye out for the line "fluff up them pillows"...it's so money...

"Paid the cost to be the boss...Look at me? Know what you see? See a bad mother...Huh!"...Big Chris-style
Old 02-11-2001, 04:13 PM
The scene where Chris Rock's cheap-@$$ character goes into the rib joint and asks for 1 rib. . .Cracks me the he!! up every time.
Old 02-12-2001, 09:07 AM
Rock is pretty much hilarious in that role Raena...I also dig how they incorporate those giant platform pimp shoes...I'm starting to think that the Wayans clan is like the black Mel Brooks...