Old 02-12-2001, 10:28 PM
Video capsule, The Last Days of Disco. 7.5

Written and directed by Whit Stillman, this movie is set in the very early 80's and stars Chloe Sevigny and Kate Beckinsale as newly graduated collage girls that work in publishing by day and frequent the most exclusive disco in Manhattan seemingly every other night.(although never mentioned by name, it is obviously Studio 54) I had not heard much about this movie before I saw it the first time. At first viewing I considered it to be a witty and dry curiosity piece, which I suppose it is. On subsequent viewings there is alot to like about this film. Apart from the cast, all of whom are very good, the dialogue is real and the conversations these people have are nearly always interesting and occasionally very funny. The film is about how this clique of friends, (friends is a little strong, they all vaguely new each other in collage) find out how to deal with life in the real world. A word of warning though, this movie may move to slowly for some and if you hate disco you won't like the soundtrack (it is pretty much wall to wall disco) but then the title should tell you that. At 114 minutes it doesn't outstay it's welcome and while not a classic in any sense of the word, I gotta' admit it's in my top twenty film list. Robert Sean Leonard and Jennifer Beals (remember her?) turn up briefly in supporting roles. Ps, without giving anything away, the ending is a real hoot.
Old 02-12-2001, 11:07 PM
Agree!

I mean, how can one not love any script that dissects LADY AND THE TRAMP? [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2001, 11:32 PM
Glad were're on the same wavelength on this one Raena, that is one of my fave scenes from that movie and I agree with every word Josh said, that movie conditions women to end up with jerks. One thing I forgot to mention before, every character in that film is like someone you know.
Old 02-13-2001, 09:26 AM
Good review bra..."Lady & The Tramp", huh? great shit.

This was the second film by Whit Stillman I ever saw, the first being "Barcelona" (my favorite). It is a great film, some say slow, but there is a method to the madness. The relationships of the young women and men is really interesting, in and out of the disco night scene. I really dig Robert Sean Leonard as the yuppie guy. Sevigny and Beckinsale both show great intuition in their spots. It's also one of my favorite disco soundtracks, avoiding some of the more mainstream hits for underground classics. But be forewarned, if you can't stand good dialogue and direction, you may be in for a long evening...
Old 02-13-2001, 09:33 AM
Have the two of you seen METROPOLITAN? That's my favorite one from Whit Stillman. Interesting conversation, though some might find it boring.
Old 02-13-2001, 11:01 PM
Glad you liked the review bra! I agree with everything you said. It is a petty that more people do not appreciate great dialogue. The soundtrack is good,(good point about the soundtrack not being standard disco hits, I hate that) I've been meaning to grab a copy, but if a film is not a hit the soundtracks are hard to get in OZ. Raena, I saw a preview for Metropolitan years ago and it looked pretty good. I've noticed that whenever I post you guys are nearly always the first to reply, it's really cool. Ps, this is another 90's movie that I wish I had done better at the box office.
Old 02-17-2001, 09:07 PM
I saw "Metropolitan" a few years back, but it doesn't register as vividly in my mind as "Barcelona" or "Last Days Of Disco"...I do remember it being a little dialogue heavy (even more than "B" or "LDOD") and I even got a little bored (this coming from a fan of Stephen Hawking)...the acting was great, but it is only for a select few people...

"Last days of Disco" references Wizard of Oz, The (1939), Bambi (1942), Lady and the Tramp (1955), "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" (1963), Saturday Night Fever (1977), "DuckTales" (1987), Metropolitan (1990), Barcelona (1994)

Tom Platt: The environmental movement of our times was sparked by the rerelease of Bambi in the 1950s.

Alice Kinnon: There's something sexy about Scrooge McDuck. [img]/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2001, 05:39 PM
Yo bra', where in the movie were Barcelona and Metropolitan referenced?
Old 02-20-2001, 06:23 PM
TobyDammit...as I forgot to mention earlier, I got the info about the references from the Internet Movie Database, so I assume they may be incorrect. I wasn't paying great attention at the time...sorry if it's wrong. All I do know is that "Metropolitan" and "Barcelona" are two great little ditties by the same director and feature some of the same cast members...I will go back and watch my tape of "LDOD" again and try to see if IMDB is right or not... [img]/ubb/cool.gif[/img]