Old 03-08-2001, 12:38 PM
The Professionals : 8/10 (video review)

Written for the screen and directed by Richard Brooks, THE PROFESSIONALS is an inspiring testament to "good" bad guys in 60's Western Cinema.

Starring Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Jack Palance and Robert Ryan, THE PROFESSIONALS tells the story of four men hired by a wealthy Texan to retrieve his kidnapped wife. These four hired men make up a sort of turn-of-the-century "A-Team" composed of an expert calvary man, a tracker/marksman, a demolitions/TNT man, and the machine gun expert/leader...

The wealthy Texans wife has been kidnapped and held for ransom by a seemingly unruly and definitely unholy Mexican bandit revolutionary by the name of Jesus Raza. The job of our four heros is to steal themselves across the Mexican border, infilitrate an army of bandits, rescue, and finally return the woman to Texas. Complications and obstacles ensue, naturally.

This movie paints yet another fantastical tale of hired guns and mercenaries dead set on honor and their "word", no matter what the cost, but always, deep down inside, we find lurking a little bit gentleman in each of 'em. I enjoyed THE PROFESSIONALS front to back. Marvin & Lancaster give great performances - Lancaster was one cool dude indeed; I see now why my father enjoyed his work so much. Jack Palance as the bad Mexican was equally super - it's amazing just how well he sells his role as a Mexican bandit.

Finally, the lady, Claudia Cardinale plays the kidnapped wife and may I say, "What a babe!" Seriously, where'd she come from?! Her pressence on screen was literally captivating - I just wish we got to see a little more of her...

A great line toward the end of the film:
Rich Texan: "You bastard!"
Lee Marvin: "Yes sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, you're a self-made man."

THE PROFESSIONALS is full of great one-liners and memorable quips thrown around like dust and bullets by both Marvin & Lancaster.

Once again, if you're in the mood for a Western with a solid straight-forward story with above average performances and entertaining dialogue - rent THE PROFESSIONALS on DVD and enjoy!

Old 03-08-2001, 08:01 PM
Bring it On SirReel, a true action classic & bad ass Lee marvin is at is best. This film has a similar feel to Peckinpahs the Wild Bunch & definetly deserved a review.

Keep it up SirReel