Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Video Games
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Schmoes Choice for Game of the Year 2007

Pretty obvious. State your selection and why you believe it's the best.

I'll be back later to post mine.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Call Of Duty 4, multiplayer and singleplayer are both godlike and sooooooooo addictive.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:01 PM
I was going to go with Bioshock this year, but then I played Rock Band... A game for all platforms that is fun as hell to play with friends offline/online, and to just practice alone. It also includes things and puts them into a game in very innovative ways which I think is another key to this selection. I vote ROCKBAND for game of the year.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't have time to pick and poke why the game I selected is game of the year, mostly because 2007 was an amazing year for video games. All of the systems (yes, even the PS3) had great, engaging games that I will surely be playing years from now. But to move on, I'll just list my top ten of the year.

10. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Playstation 3)
9. Eternal Sonata (Xbox 360)
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS)
7. The Orange Box (Xbox 360/PC/Playstation 3)
6. Crysis (PC)
5. Mass Effect (Xbox 360)
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360/Playstation 3/PC)
3. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2. Persona 3 (Playstation 2)
1. BioShock (Xbox 360/PC)
Old 12-29-2007, 04:27 PM
My choice is obvious.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:34 PM
1. BioShock
2. Call of Duty 4
3. Mass Effect
Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Either the Orange Box or Mass Effect.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM
For me, nothing was more satisfying than Super Mario Galaxy.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:55 PM
I loved BioShock but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
For me, nothing was more satisfying than Super Mario Galaxy.
Aye.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronos View Post
Call Of Duty 4, multiplayer and singleplayer are both godlike and sooooooooo addictive.
Q
F
T
Old 12-29-2007, 07:55 PM
CALL OF DUTY 4

Next would be:

Hm. Nothing else, I guess.

No, not even GUITAR HERO III which turned into go-ahead-and-try-playing-this - and even worse - I-dare-you-to-do-complete-these-Achievements overly difficult game.
ROCK BAND is a blast, but faulty equipment and songs that are too easy on guitar (along with tricky hammer-on timing that seems faulty), and a vocal system that doesn't work that well for singing in key made it NOT the game of the year for me.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Mario Galaxy, but I just got my Xbox 360 and I havent played COD4 or Bioshock...yet.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Call of Duty 4, easily.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:01 PM
I havent play either so I cant say but I find it quite interesting that numerous people here have voted for Call Of Duty 4 for game of the year and there has not been one mention of Halo 3 yet Gamespot.com rated Halo 3 a 9.5 and COD4 only a 9.0. Seems kinda fishy to me.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight81 View Post
I havent play either so I cant say but I find it quite interesting that numerous people here have voted for Call Of Duty 4 for game of the year and there has not been one mention of Halo 3 yet Gamespot.com rated Halo 3 a 9.5 and COD4 only a 9.0. Seems kinda fishy to me.
The Halo series has done nothing for me. I think I should drink me a Game Fuel.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Halo is for little fairy girls.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
Halo is for little fairy girls.
It was clever. I felt the need to show support.

Anyway, Orange Box is the best deal, not quite as playable. I'd say Bioshock over Call of Duty 4 if it didn't have one of the greatest storylines ever followed by the worst twist in the history of story telling (dating back to the beginning of the spoken language).
Old 12-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I've played sadly few video games this year. Damn you full time job + school! *shakes fist*

Of the small handful that I have played I'd say Resistance was the best.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:12 AM
For me, I've gotta say God Of War 2 (PS2) is the best game over all. But, I'll give high nods to Bioshock and CoD4... I also loved MoH:Airborne, but I'm a MoH geek, so...
Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Does Orange Box have a lot of replay value? It seems once you've played Portal and Episode 2 that's it, and because of its structure TF2 seems like it would get old fairly quickly.

Eh?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I enjoy the Orange Box quite a bit. The newer fan made maps keep TF2 going for a while longer...

Anyway, my choices are:
Mass Effect, followed by Call of Duty 4, then followed by Orange Box.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Call of Duty 4 in a landslide. Easily the best FPS ever made... and I've only been playing it since Christmas.

Followed by Bioshock.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It was clever. I felt the need to show support.

Anyway, Orange Box is the best deal, not quite as playable. I'd say Bioshock over Call of Duty 4 if it didn't have one of the greatest storylines ever followed by the worst twist in the history of story telling (dating back to the beginning of the spoken language).

What's not to like about the ending in Bioshock?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Does Orange Box have a lot of replay value? It seems once you've played Portal and Episode 2 that's it, and because of its structure TF2 seems like it would get old fairly quickly.

Eh?
Portal is a blast to play again and again for me. I've been trying to beat it faster with every play through, and it's still fun to me. Half-Life 2 and it's episodes are fun also; but I'm a person who played through the first Half-Life over ten times. And Team Fortress 2 is the next best multi-player experience next to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and it's fun as hell.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:50 PM
I gotta go with Guitar Hero 3 - the replay value of Guitar Hero games is amazing, you never get tired of it, well at least I don't.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Bioshock
Call of Duty 4
The Orange Box

The only three i've played this year
Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Bioshock my fav. game of the year
Old 12-31-2007, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olboj View Post
What's not to like about the ending in Bioshock?
It made what had been a throughly intelligent game become balls to the wall ridiculous and retarded.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Not the most obvious choice, but my game of the year is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. This game delivered on all levels for me (as has the previous instalments of the series)
Old 01-02-2008, 02:51 PM
1) Crysis (PC)
2) Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare (PC) (Would have been no. 1 had it lasted a little longer)
3) Guitar Hero III - Legends of Rock (PS3)
Old 01-02-2008, 03:04 PM
1. Mass Effect
2. Call of Duty 4
3. Guitar Hero 3
Old 01-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Quote:

Eh?
Absolutely. I've replayed HL2 and it's eps quite a few times already and Portal just as much. TF2 isn't the best online FPS but it is probably the most original which makes it great fun. Plus Valve plans to update it often for free.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:25 PM
This was probably the best year for video games this decade. But I don't think game of the year is close...

Mario Galaxy is an all timer, Halo 3 was as good as expected, COD 4 managed to create a unique FPS multiplayer option to go with a great campaign mode, Rock Band is intense, Orange Box is the best value you can ever get, Eternal Sonata was highly underrated, Assassin's Creed had great design and gameplay, Mass Effect is like KOTOR on steroids (I haven't finished it yet though), Metroid Prime 3 was a great conclusion to a great trilogy, Ratchet and Clank was outstanding, but still...

Bioshock. It's not close. It blew me away from the jump, and is just unlike anything I've ever played. I think it's easily the game of the year, and so far it's the best game of this generation.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I just recently bought a ps3 and I have not played many games but for me the best game that I have played this year was Uncharted Drakes fortune, I thought it was fantastic throughout ( so much attention to detail). One game that did surprise me was Heavenly Sword... The battle at the end of the game against Bohan the Raven King felt so epic, I have never seen anything like that fight, in any game before.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 AM
I would've instinctively said "Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction" but now I'm not sure. "Call of Duty 4", "Mass Effect" and "Uncharted" are excellent competitors. "Orange Box" and "Mario Galaxy" too. I haven't played "BioShock", but I'd be surprised if it was this good.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Bioshock is a great game. The only problem I have with it is the hit detection is shit if you turn off the auto-aim.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Definitely - 300: March to Glory.

Crackdown is probably my favorite game of the year.
BioShock, Portal, Lost Planet, Mario Galaxy, The BIGS, and Pac-Man Championship make for some excellent runner-ups.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 AM
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Deepest online shooter ever and most intense single player FPS I have played. Nuff said.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:13 AM
PHANTOM HOURGLASS!
Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldn11 View Post
Definitely - 300: March to Glory.

Crackdown is probably my favorite game of the year.
BioShock, Portal, Lost Planet, Mario Galaxy, The BIGS, and Pac-Man Championship make for some excellent runner-ups.
i too had alot of fun playing crackdown. climbing to the highest point and then falling to my doom over and over and over again

ps over and over...