Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Spider-man (One More Day/Brand New Day)

I was planning on getting the latest Amazing Spider-man... But now I'm not so sure. What's this I hear about Peter selling his soul to the devil, with his marriage to Mary Jane being erased like it never happened?

And did Quesada really screw with JMS's storylines? WHAT?!

I'm very confused. I'm a little wary of even reading it. Ah, curiosity will get me. Meh.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
they`re re starting the spiderman series and history.There will only be the one spiderman comic.

it`ll begin with 'brand new day' which takes place after 'one more day'.

beware spoilers about one more day.

[edit] One More Day
"One More Day" is a four-part cross-over, written partially by J. Michael Straczynski and illustrated by Joe Quesada, running through September's Amazing Spider-Man #544, November's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24 and Sensational Spider-Man #41, and December's Amazing Spider-Man #545. The cross-over issues will be the final issues for the Neighborhood and Sensational titles, as they will be replaced by additional monthly issues of Amazing Spider-Man beginning in December. Quesada apparently discarded many of Straczynski's ideas for the final two issues of the story arc, and injected his own plot points into the story.

In the story, Peter and Mary Jane are in a local hospital with Aunt May on her death bed. May's doctor recognizes Peter and says that he will do all that he can so as not to raise suspicion to the rest of the hospital. Meanwhile, Peter goes to confront Tony Stark, begging him to help cure May, which he refuses, as that would be aiding and abetting a known criminal and any links to him would injure his reputation from the Superhero Civil War. Tony then changes his mind and gives his aide Jarvis a check for 2 Million dollars to pay May's hospital bill. The doctor regretfully informs Peter that currently there is nothing humanly possible that they can do to cure May. Peter replies, "Maybe not in your world, but with the crowd I hang out with..." He then dons his traditional Red-and-Blue costume and goes off to see Dr. Strange. Dr. Strange tries to help Peter see that the most important thing is to be with May when she passes. Peter rejects this and ends up meeting Mephisto. He tells Peter that the bargain is simple: He will save May in exchange for Peter and Mary Jane's marriage. He tells them the deal expires at midnight and let's the couple talk it over.

Peter and MJ grappled with their unspeakable choice, and Peter explained he couldn't live with himself if Aunt May died as a result of his own actions (unmasking during Civil War), but also could not face life without MJ, or make the decision without her. As Mephisto confronted the Parkers near midnight, MJ impulsively stepped forward and told the demon that "the answer is yes!" Peter was shocked, and MJ made Mephisto promise to restore Spider-Man's secret identity which he agreed to do without question. She also asked to put his life back as it was and have a chance at happiness. Mephisto asked why he should do that, and MJ answered that it was because of what she could offer him. MJ whispered something to Mephisto, striking a devil's bargain, and then urged Peter to "save May. Be the hero. Be my hero."

An anguished Peter finally agreed to Mephisto's deal, and as a clock began to chime midnight and magic swirled around the Parkers, they saw a vision of their daughter that would now never be. A steely Mary Jane held Peter and explained that she knew in her heart of hearts that they were always meant to be together, and that whatever Mephisto tries to do, "it doesn't matter. Because whatever he does to pull us apart would have to be bigger and stronger than what brought us together and kept us together, no matter what happened. And there's no power in the universe big enough for a job like that. Not the Devil, not God, not anybody." Mary Jane embraced Peter and promised that they would find their way back to each other and be together again. The Parkers swore their love, and as the clock struck twelve, they kissed, and Mary Jane whispered the famous line, "face it, tiger...you just hit the jackpot."

After Mephisto's spell took hold and morning rose, Peter awoke alone. He appeared to be single, and still living with a whole and hearty Aunt May. At the close of One More Day, he attended a party for the newly-resurrected Harry Osborn (now apparently alive as a result of Mephisto's changes to the fabric of reality), where he glimpsed Mary Jane among the other guests. Flash Thompson asked if things were "still frosty" between Peter and MJ, and an unwitting Peter, no longer remembering his life with his wife, just looked at Mary Jane Watson quizzically, watching her leave the party early...and alone.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Fucking stupid--it was a dark day when someone made Queseda the Marvel editor-in-chief. Now, you have this dumb deus-ex-machina to basically get the Spidey books back to the status quo of the 1970's: Peter unmarried with idenity intact. Nothing but a big fuck-you to any reader that's followed the last 20 years of continuity, and an even bigger fuck-you to the new readers post-Civil War, the events of which are also cheapened by this "poof--it's magically gone" act of storytelling.

For the love of god, get Queseda the fuck out of there and quit letting him molest these characters!! It's like a nightmare!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 PM
WORST STORY EVER.

Really, this is the WORST KIND OF SHIT ive read in comic book form.

Thank god for Ultimate Spider-man.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:17 PM
this saddens me. I love Spidey. Now I'm wary of picking up a current issue.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I actually want to read this!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:03 PM
The Worst Part:

Is that Sensational Spider-Man and Friendly neighboorhood Spider-Man are over, and for what? This duas ex machina crap?

Man, right as I started reading. Ah well, there's still Marvel Zombies!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:43 AM
This just pissed on over 20 years worth of writers because Marvels current find it too fucking hard to write Spider-man with a wife.

Maybe if they found some real talent?

...or just have them get a divorce? that seems to work well enough in real life. Plenty of better ways to do this then this overly idiotic POS of a story.

I mean, really, "With great power comes great responsibility" is his motto, and he makes a deal with the devil? CMON!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
...or just have them get a divorce? that seems to work well enough in real life. Plenty of better ways to do this then this overly idiotic POS of a story.
Apparently for Quesada divorce is bad, but deals with the devil are ok
Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Its my firm beleif that Quesada is just crapping in a hat looking at it then telling what he wants the writers to do.

I've never been a big fan of Quesada really even back when he was just an artist. I can't stand any of his drawings of wolverine that he's been doing in the past got things like Origin covers and such.

I meen JMS had some questionable stuff in his time on ASM (yeah thats right i'm looking at you Gabriel and Sarah ) but for the most part he was doing good. Now unforunately i can see this crappy One more day nonsense being remebered as JMS's idea and not Quesada's for some reason.

My fear is that eventually Spidey will end up jsut as continuitly (is this a word?) fucked up as Venom has become over the years. But the nagain that fear may be unfounded as i've heard Quesada is out the door soon.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM
What Marvel needs to do:

1 Get Joey Q. out of the EIC position NOW! Yes, he's presided over successes like "House Of M" and "Civil War", but he's done just as much destructive, questionable shit with these characters (what's it like being an Iron Man fan these days?).

2 Nail down an awesome up and coming artist to draw Spidey. I know Steve McNiven is set to do some work on upcoming Spidey books, but I doubt he stays and he can be slow in producing art (McFarlane, at his peak with Spidey, was cranking out the books twice a month at one point). Get someone who will really put their stamp on Spidey.

3 For god's sake, get a good writer. JMS I always felt was wrong for Spiderman. Less stunt events that change little (and are quickly reversed) and just good solid stories with the villians gallery and supporting cast.

Is it really this hard to produce a palatable Spiderman comic??
Old 01-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
2 Nail down an awesome up and coming artist to draw Spidey. I know Steve McNiven is set to do some work on upcoming Spidey books, but I doubt he stays and he can be slow in producing art (McFarlane, at his peak with Spidey, was cranking out the books twice a month at one point). Get someone who will really put their stamp on Spidey.

3 For god's sake, get a good writer. JMS I always felt was wrong for Spiderman. Less stunt events that change little (and are quickly reversed) and just good solid stories with the villians gallery and supporting cast.

Is it really this hard to produce a palatable Spiderman comic??
Well don't forget that, and this may just be do to the advances of printing technology at the, McFarlanes art on Spidey regardless of how revolutionary (and its only really consider so in respect to how Spidey was drawn before hand and not his art alltogether) was still pretty simplistic and i beleive he was also doing his own Inking at the time so i can see him getting 2 issues out at a time.

heh if you want to see work horse look at McFarlanes run on Spider Man where he wrote, penciled and inked 13 issues and they didn't suck! Or Mark Bagley who i don't think has ever missed a single deadline in his 107 or so issues of Ultimate Spider Man.

And i have to agree on JMS, he got a bit much into the mystic side of things which is fine and dandy until you start messing with mythos of the character (ie how he 'really' got his powers). The only thing i really enjoyed of his was the Other and its parts leading up to it and even he can't claim the Other as his own since there were 2 other writes on it with him.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Well don't forget that, and this may just be do to the advances of printing technology at the, McFarlanes art on Spidey regardless of how revolutionary (and its only really consider so in respect to how Spidey was drawn before hand and not his art alltogether) was still pretty simplistic and i beleive he was also doing his own Inking at the time so i can see him getting 2 issues out at a time.
Look at any page where McFarlane detailed the webbing on Spiderman's costume, intricately (where most artists of today merely space it out, McF's was really dense), and the detail on the webbing that Spidey spun and tell me his art was simplistic.

Quote:
heh if you want to see work horse look at McFarlanes run on Spider Man where he wrote, penciled and inked 13 issues and they didn't suck! Or Mark Bagley who i don't think has ever missed a single deadline in his 107 or so issues of Ultimate Spider Man.
His first arc "Torment" pretty much sucked but he found his footing after that. Bagley is a beast.

Quote:
And i have to agree on JMS, he got a bit much into the mystic side of things which is fine and dandy until you start messing with mythos of the character (ie how he 'really' got his powers). The only thing i really enjoyed of his was the Other and its parts leading up to it and even he can't claim the Other as his own since there were 2 other writes on it with him.
I thought JMS might be on to something with the totems and explaining why Spidey's villians were all animal-based. But what've they done with it?
"The Other" was a dumbass story that even Marvel I think is embarressed by. JMS also brought us Morlun, who I don't think could be less of a good villian for Spidey. I was almost lured back to reading Spidey on a regular basis, but after the many shits they've taken on the character just in the last few years, I now won't.

Last edited by Ayestrain; 01-07-2008 at 02:57 PM..
Old 01-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Look at any page where McFarlane detailed the webbing on Spiderman's costume, intricately (where most artists of today merely space it out, McF's was really dense), and the detail on the webbing that Spidey spun and tell me his art was simplistic.
Ok so you got a single aspect of the art being good, which i'm not disagreeing with mind you, but thats harly a big deal when he did his own inking. If someone else was inking his art at the time they would either A) thrown a fit after the first few issues or B) they would not have been putting out bi monthly. I could be wrong but i don't see it happening any other way.

Quote:
His first arc "Torment" pretty much sucked but he found his footing after that. Bagley is a beast.
Can't agree on Torment as its an Iconic arc imo and is when McFarlane really came into his own as a spidey artist. What i loved about Torment was it wasn't like any regular Spidey story i had read before. It was dark and brooding and it didn't end with Spidey saving the day since the whole story was him just trying to survive.

And yes Bagely is a beast i read he didn't even want to do Ult Spidey since he had just spent the previous 6 or 7 years drawning the character. But apparently Marvel really pushed and pushed and finally got him on board. But he admits that his heart wasn't into until about the 3rd arc and if you go back you can sort of see his art get better around that point.

Quote:
I thought JMS might be on to something with the totems and explaining why Spidey's villians were all animal-based. But what've they done with it? "The Other" was a dumbass story that even Marvel I think is embarressed by. JMS also brought us Morlun, who I don't think could be less of a good villian for Spidey. I was almost lured back to reading Spidey on a regular basis, but after the many shits they've taken on the character just in the last few years, I now won't.
The only thing i didn't like was when they tried to claim that the radiation may have had nothing to do with him getting his powers and that he was chosen and destined to get them. Well if Radiation had nothnig to do with it what about the Tons of back story where it plays a big part in him trying to fix things. I meen why did JMS never have him bring up the whole Man Spider stuff as a question of does it happen to the other totem ppl?? It jsut invalidates too much thats already writen, it would be like saying Gwen was and always was a Skrull or something (though i wouldn't put that past Marvel these days)

I rath enjoyed the Other and especially the Mulrun character. I loved how helpless Spidey truely was against him to the point where he was actaully phoning MJ and MAy up to say his last good byes to them. Then in the other the whole rebirth thing while it was a cop out in sorts for certain things it introduces what atleast could have been a really good character that is 'the other', but i'm not sure where they ended up taking that one aside from her being Mrs Arrow.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Quote:
1 Get Joey Q. out of the EIC position NOW! Yes, he's presided over successes like "House Of M" and "Civil War", but he's done just as much destructive, questionable shit with these characters (what's it like being an Iron Man fan these days?).
Ironman is the most interesting marvel villain right now.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Ok so you got a single aspect of the art being good, which i'm not disagreeing with mind you, but thats harly a big deal when he did his own inking. If someone else was inking his art at the time they would either A) thrown a fit after the first few issues or B) they would not have been putting out bi monthly. I could be wrong but i don't see it happening any other way.
Sorry, but that's hardly the single aspect of his art being badass. Don't take my word--go back and check out ASM #298-328 and tell me that's not some of the most sophisiticated comic art ever (and I'm not talking realism here like the McNiven new-school--I'm talking impossible, imaginative and eye popping like Spidey's supposed to be). You're right I checked that he did do all his own inks in those ish's--why isn't this done more these days?

Quote:
Can't agree on Torment as its an Iconic arc imo and is when McFarlane really came into his own as a spidey artist. What i loved about Torment was it wasn't like any regular Spidey story i had read before. It was dark and brooding and it didn't end with Spidey saving the day since the whole story was him just trying to survive.
To me at the time, and I was young, it seemed like they were giving this upstart artist the keys to the porche and he had no driving experience per se, that is, the ability to craft a coherent story. Like I said--he got better, namely the "Perceptions" and "Sub City" storylines that followed--simply badass.

Quote:
The only thing i didn't like was when they tried to claim that the radiation may have had nothing to do with him getting his powers and that he was chosen and destined to get them. Well if Radiation had nothnig to do with it what about the Tons of back story where it plays a big part in him trying to fix things. I meen why did JMS never have him bring up the whole Man Spider stuff as a question of does it happen to the other totem ppl?? It jsut invalidates too much thats already writen, it would be like saying Gwen was and always was a Skrull or something (though i wouldn't put that past Marvel these days)
Another reason why I don't think JMS was right for Spiderman--too much mystical shit that would have better benefited a run in Dr. Strange. Of course--JMS was a fan-fave writer (always top 10 in Wizard). I think it's because he was on the core Spidey book all those years.

Quote:
I rath enjoyed the Other and especially the Mulrun character. I loved how helpless Spidey truely was against him to the point where he was actaully phoning MJ and MAy up to say his last good byes to them. Then in the other the whole rebirth thing while it was a cop out in sorts for certain things it introduces what atleast could have been a really good character that is 'the other', but i'm not sure where they ended up taking that one aside from her being Mrs Arrow.
There are way too many cop-outs and unresolved plot threads. That, or they stretch out a plot to painstaking lengths--look how long Aunt May has layed in the hospital bed throughout this year. It's a little gratuitous.

Hell, come to think of it, I was still reading back when they killed off May in the first place in ASM #400. How did they bring her back again? What a bunch of shit, and what a breathtaking disregard Marvel shows for their fans and readers.

Last edited by Ayestrain; 01-07-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Joe Q just hates spiderman ,i think.

he okay the idea of having spidey revel to the public that he is pete parker and now this.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Does this latest stunt negate Peter revealing his idenity during Civil War? If so, everyone knew they were going to find a way to do it.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Quote:

I meen JMS had some questionable stuff in his time on ASM (yeah thats right i'm looking at you Gabriel and Sarah ) but for the most part he was doing good. Now unforunately i can see this crappy One more day nonsense being remebered as JMS's idea and not Quesada's for some reason.

My fear is that eventually Spidey will end up jsut as continuitly (is this a word?) fucked up as Venom has become over the years. But the nagain that fear may be unfounded as i've heard Quesada is out the door soon.

I never gave a fuck about Gabriel and Sarah. The story was quite ambitious though. I <3 JMS.

Quote:
(McFarlane, at his peak with Spidey, was cranking out the books twice a month at one point).
That is why he rules.

I can't remember what issue number but I have it (somewhere)... Did he do the issue where Ben Reilly first kicks Venom's patootie?

About McFarlane's detail, I agree with Ayestrain.

Quote:
it would be like saying Gwen was and always was a Skrull or something (though i wouldn't put that past Marvel these days)
I know! What the flip?! Don't get me started on the Skrulls.

I actually read a bit of "The Other". I haven't finished.

Quote:
oes this latest stunt negate Peter revealing his idenity during Civil War? If so, everyone knew they were going to find a way to do it.
Yes, it reverse the revelation.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Halloween View Post
Ironman is the most interesting marvel villain right now.

Him or The Hulk.

Without Captain America, Marvel is just going to shit!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Sorry, but that's hardly the single aspect of his art being badass. Don't take my word--go back and check out ASM #298-328 and tell me that's not some of the most sophisiticated comic art ever (and I'm not talking realism here like the McNiven new-school--I'm talking impossible, imaginative and eye popping like Spidey's supposed to be). You're right I checked that he did do all his own inks in those ish's--why isn't this done more these days?
ummm, your the one that gave only one example of why his art was good and i said that one example you gave wasn't good enough to claim that. If you had other examples posted in that post the ni would have responded differently i'm sure

But what i';m trying to say is that his art was revolutionary in the respect of how Spidey was drawn before hand and thats it. I don't find anything really special about his are personally but can draw a damn good Spidey.

Quote:
There are way too many cop-outs and unresolved plot threads. That, or they stretch out a plot to painstaking lengths--look how long Aunt May has layed in the hospital bed throughout this year. It's a little gratuitous.

Hell, come to think of it, I was still reading back when they killed off May in the first place in ASM #400. How did they bring her back again? What a bunch of shit, and what a breathtaking disregard Marvel shows for their fans and readers.
I'll ahve to read it again to figure out what your refering too cause off the top of my head the only thing they left untied was the introduction of that Machine god guy, what ever his name was, didn't only appear in like the first 2 or 3 parts then not at all for the rest of the story?

Oh yeah the Aunt may thing is messed up, i'm not sure the exact details as i don't have the issue when she comes back but it has to do with Norman Osbourne after he made his return in Spectacular in the 200's. I think it played out like SPidey was following the assistant chick who was responsible for MJ's miscarage back to some safe house and for some reason May was just sitting there in the house.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
That is why he rules.

I can't remember what issue number but I have it (somewhere)... Did he do the issue where Ben Reilly first kicks Venom's patootie?
Unless he was a guest artist, no, McFarlane's run ended in 325 and then came back for 328 and then that horrible bastard Larsen took over, ben wasn't inroduced till 394 (well actaully it was 149). McFarlen did however draw the first time Venom kicked the crap out of Spidey but i doubt i need to tell you that oh and Venom rules..... or atleast used to

And on the though of Ben, i think Maximum Clonage could have been good if Marvel hadn't pussed out and had Ben stay on a Spider and Peter retire.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
The writing going on in the Spider-man comics right now makes the third movie seem like a masterpeice.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Unless he was a guest artist, no, McFarlane's run ended in 325 and then came back for 328 and then that horrible bastard Larsen took over, ben wasn't inroduced till 394 (well actaully it was 149). McFarlen did however draw the first time Venom kicked the crap out of Spidey but i doubt i need to tell you that oh and Venom rules..... or atleast used to
I think Erik Larsen's art kicked serious ass..and he could write a story infinitely better than McFarlane..moreover, he too was cranking out books twice a month at one point (w/ Randy Emberlin inking..)

Old 01-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Quote:
I think Erik Larsen's art kicked serious ass..and he could write a story infinitely better than McFarlane..moreover, he too was cranking out books twice a month at one point (w/ Randy Emberlin inking..)
I couldn't stand his art sometimes and if you want a good example just look at what he started to do to Venom's head near the end of his run. His art was too exadurated for my tastes alot of the time, some other examples is i remeber a panel of Doc Ock from the revenge of the Sinister Six arc and not only did it look like he had 6-8 mechanical arms but you couldn't even begin to see where one ended and one began. And don't even get me started on how he drew May

The fact the he was bi-weekly doesn't stand up casue he's not as detailed as McFarlane was imo in drawing spider man atleast but again its been a while since i've looked over his run. Not that its his fault but his run had one of the more rediculous story arcs in the Revenge of the Sinister Six story.

When it comes down to it for me McFarlane revolutionized Spidy's look, Larsen tinckered with it and imo didn't do much more then copy what McFarlane had done style wise and then Bagely refined and defined it. Bagely's art is my fav of all time on ASM and i really wish i could track down his issues i'm missing (401-412) for atleast a reasonable price.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
To each their own--I've always had a fondness for Larsen's art, writing and storytelling, all the way up to Savage Dragon. It's Bagley for me that I didn't care for--even though he got to be the Spiderman artist for what seemed like decades. I just got sick of his style, though it was very reliable.

I guess the "Revenge Of The Sinister Six" storyline was a little ridiculous--but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It had enough surprises to keep me interested. I like how Larsen wrote/drew Doc Ock--as just a total ruthless bastard.

After ASM #400 is about where I stopped reading. Haven't checked lately, but you should be able to find those back issues used for not that much right?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Quote:
To each their own--I've always had a fondness for Larsen's art, writing and storytelling, all the way up to Savage Dragon. It's Bagley for me that I didn't care for--even though he got to be the Spiderman artist for what seemed like decades. I just got sick of his style, though it was very reliable.

I guess the "Revenge Of The Sinister Six" storyline was a little ridiculous--but I enjoyed the hell out of it. It had enough surprises to keep me interested. I like how Larsen wrote/drew Doc Ock--as just a total ruthless bastard.

After ASM #400 is about where I stopped reading. Haven't checked lately, but you should be able to find those back issues used for not that much right?
well part of my love for Bagely comes from the fact he was the current artist when i was yonger and really started to get into Spider Man, and he dreas the best Venom hands down for me.

Yeah i liked how he drew Doc Ock for the most part it was just that one panel thats always bothered me and stuck in my mind for some reason.

Well i haven't had any luck finding them thus far but i haven't looked in close to a year though so i may look again. How much they may be varies from shop to shop i think but it seems that the early issues after cresting a 100 mark are either harder to find and more expensive then you would think or both from my experiences but even then thats just with ASM. The thing that pisses me off though is that most shops jsut use the excuse that since its now a back issue they can set what ever price they want for it, personally if its not listed in Wizards price giude or other beckets it should be cover price or even current cover price i could handle.

I really hope to find them though as it then i would have all of Bagely's run and have conscutavely from issues 300-428 which is when the reboot happened.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:12 PM
You should check online and on e-bay--late 90's early 00's Spidey-back issues can't be going for that much.

Personally I need to fill in the gaps in my McFarlane-era ASM (My subscription as a kid back then ran out at issue #303--how shitty is that? I only have random stray ish's from his run after that). I would also try certain used bookstores, as they often have comics & don't know what they're worth, and you can get them for a song. I've found several issues I was looking for that way.

Back on the current mess in the Spidey books--is the problem that they've done just about everything they can do with the character (killing him off/resurrecting him, taking away his power, augmenting his power, bringing back his parents, aunt, uncle and dead girlfriend, marriage, kids (though that was a tease), replacing him, cloning him, giving him new costumes, revealing his idenity, making him an Avenger, sending him back to school, etc. etc.), and now there's nothing left to do w/ him?.

Last edited by Ayestrain; 01-08-2008 at 04:15 PM..
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Quote:
You should check online and on e-bay--late 90's early 00's Spidey-back issues can't be going for that much.

Personally I need to fill in the gaps in my McFarlane-era ASM (My subscription as a kid back then ran out at issue #303--how shitty is that? I only have random stray ish's from his run after that). I would also try certain used bookstores, as they often have comics & don't know what they're worth, and you can get them for a song. I've found several issues I was looking for that way.
yeah i found 300-317 in one shot at a comic shop and nearly shat my pants.

Quote:
Back on the current mess in the Spidey books--is the problem that they've done just about everything they can do with the character (killing him off/resurrecting him, taking away his power, augmenting his power, bringing back his parents, aunt, uncle and dead girlfriend, marriage, kids (though that was a tease), replacing him, cloning him, giving him new costumes, revealing his idenity, making him an Avenger, sending him back to school, etc. etc.), and now there's nothing left to do w/ him?.
thats probably a good reason yeah, personally i stopped buy comics right around the time Back in Black was starting and i thought to myself that i would love to just see him snap and become this brooding angry ass character but then that would mean Marvel fucking around with the general image of their flagship and some what familyish character, so that won't happen.

heh i loved it when he through that fucking Jeep at the sniper 3 stories up, i was thinking "shit...... he's pissed"
Old 01-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Quote:
yeah i found 300-317 in one shot at a comic shop and nearly shat my pants.
I really think that era was the peak for good Spidey stories. No dumbass stunts, minimal tie-ins, just good well-crafted stories.

Quote:
thats probably a good reason yeah, personally i stopped buy comics right around the time Back in Black was starting and i thought to myself that i would love to just see him snap and become this brooding angry ass character but then that would mean Marvel fucking around with the general image of their flagship and some what familyish character, so that won't happen.

heh i loved it when he through that fucking Jeep at the sniper 3 stories up, i was thinking "shit...... he's pissed"
Good to see him take on Stark too in the first part of "OMD"--that was a long time coming.
I wouldn't mind just seeing some non-angsty, non-crisis-of-the-year Spidey stories where he just takes on his rogues gallery. Maybe that's what "Brand New Day" will end up being but they've already fussed with the timeline and will probably end up redoing what they've undone, so it's hard to care.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Quote:
I really think that era was the peak for good Spidey stories. No dumbass stunts, minimal tie-ins, just good well-crafted stories.
Yeah for sure and it had some good shaking up too with him and MJ getting their place together and the things that came along with that and such.

Quote:
Good to see him take on Stark too in the first part of "OMD"--that was a long time coming.
I wouldn't mind just seeing some non-angsty, non-crisis-of-the-year Spidey stories where he just takes on his rogues gallery. Maybe that's what "Brand New Day" will end up being but they've already fussed with the timeline and will probably end up redoing what they've undone, so it's hard to care.
heh its called Ultimate Spider Man but yeah these universe wide events are getting tiresome. Come to think of it they could totally take it in that direction if they made him the dark brooding character i suggested as he would want to be a loner more then ever i would assume.

Ok here's hte plan as soon as Quesada's out the door we storm Marvel HQ and demand input on Spidey lol
Old 01-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Quote:

heh its called Ultimate Spider Man
You're right! I don't want to read it though..never got into the Ultimate Lines..one continuity is enough.

Quote:
but yeah these universe wide events are getting tiresome. Come to think of it they could totally take it in that direction if they made him the dark brooding character i suggested as he would want to be a loner more then ever i would assume.

Ok here's hte plan as soon as Quesada's out the door we storm Marvel HQ and demand input on Spidey lol
Just as long as I get to be writer, or EIC.

Reviews are coming in for the first part of "Brand New Day"..

http://comics.ign.com/articles/844/844336p1.html

I finished reading Amazing Spider-Man #546 a few hours ago. While most reviews I write are straight-forward and painless articulations of my opinions, this one was difficult. It's not just that this comes on the heels of the most controversial story in Marvel's history, but that I'm quite torn. The first chapter of "Brand New Day" is simultaneously wonderful and aggravating. Never before have I loved the details of a title but generally hated the larger picture. It's not enough to say Brand New Day is a good book. In this case, context is everything.

This isn't a review of One More Day. Cynics, challengers and general trolls are going to try and call me on that. They'll say I'm not putting enough distance between the books to look at them objectively. I can see that general point, but in many ways the two are one story. Dan Slott's opening chapter picks up on the beats in One More Day, and often riffs off of the echoes of the previous Spider-Man reality. It's odd because while the BND crew clearly doesn't want us to think about OMD much (they dance around the issue very carefully), it's hard not to. Red heads are everywhere. Web-shooters are back (thankfully, but that's another issue entirely). Harry Osborn is back. Aunt May is alive and well. It's hard not to see this, know that it's not right and then quickly recall the absolute travesty that got us to this point. There's no way around it – reading Brand New Day will remind you of One More Day. No matter how much slack you want to try and give the new team, what was done before them is going to be dragged along for the ride.

And it's a shame too. Dan Slott and Steve McNiven have a really strong first outing. Energetic and amusing, Spider-Man is back to hitting an emotional note that he hasn't in quite some time. Most notable is Slott's ability to portray Parker as the down on his luck guy who remains upbeat no matter what the odds. New faces are quickly mixed in with old, and both are equally entertaining. It's also worth noting that Brand New Day appears to be very intent on keeping a strong focus on Parker himself rather than costumed antics dominating page time. Slott was born to write Spider-Man. We've seen in Avengers: The Initiative that his love for Marvel is incredibly vast, and now he's on the biggest stage of them all. When a writer is truly enjoying his work it shows, and this is a clear case of that.

Steve McNiven's work on this issue isn't quite as impressive as I expected it to be. The man has a very high standard to live up to – much of his Civil War work was nothing short of astonishing. This time though… is it just me or does Peter Parkers face repeatedly change shape? Mr. Parker might have some serious health issues going on... Outside of that, the way this story is framed, McNiven isn't given much room to really shine. I think the following weeks might turn out more impressive pages.

If this book existed in a vacuum, it would be a fantastic issue. If I knew nothing of Spider-Man, didn't follow comics or only knew basic things about Peter Parker, I could probably jump aboard this with no reservations. It's accessible and "wonderfully" clean of continuity. But then again, so is the Ultimate Universe. In fact, that's why that imprint was created in the first place, wasn't it? At any rate, I'm not living in a vacuum and therefore as much as I love this issue, it's hard to recommend it. It's not the principle of the thing, it's the fact that the ends did not justify the means. I have no problem with evolving storylines, but this is a bizarre sort of regression. I didn't really need to relive the '70s era Peter Parker, even though I love some of those classic tales. I feel like I'm reading an issue of What If? while I wait for the next real issue of Amazing Spider-Man to come out. "One More Day" has irrevocably damaged this franchise for anyone who has followed this book for more than a second. So what about future generations? What about being able to relate to the character? I was talking with one of the other IGN editors the other day. He mentioned that, as a child, he was collecting comics when Peter and Mary Jane finally got married. He said even then he didn't suddenly lose interest. This forced retcon (and that's what it is, anyone saying anything to the contrary is just drinking Kool Aid) is badly fixing something that was never a huge problem to begin with. And like I said, there is Ultimate Spider-Man, a book which, until two weeks ago, was still somewhat relevant. (As an aside, USM is an excellent read and I'd definitely recommend anyone jumping ship here to go to that series.)

All of you One More Day haters hoping Brand New Day would be terrible, put your pitchforks down. It's not. It's quite good. But for all of us enraged by One More Day… things are a little tougher than the simple question of whether it's good or not. Ultimately the enjoyment of serial storytelling comes from what came before and what came after. This isn't just a case of dealing with a bad story. I would have been fine if One More Day was a bad story. The problem comes from Marvel forcing change using ill-timed and trite storytelling devices to accomplish something it claims we want. Oddly enough I think most of what's in Brand New Day could have been accomplished without that four-part Quesada/Straczynski storyline. What makes Brand New Day work isn't the fact that Peter can date again (or that Harry is back… which just makes no sense whatsoever), it's the approach that Dan Slott uses with the material. You could, in fact, have a very lively, youthful married couple starring in a comic book. Kids would be fine. The notion that the marriage ruined anything is just absurd.

So One More Day has done its magical thing and Brand New Day is now the status quo. I think many of you are too incensed to bother picking this up at the shops. I can't entirely blame you, and I understand where you're coming from. The sad part about it is that Dan Slott and Steve McNiven are delivering stellar work. It's not the best Spidey story I've read, but things are just getting started. However Brand New Day will always live in the shadow of One More Day. This is one case where too much is being asked of the fans. The cost was not worth the result.

IGN's Ratings for Amazing Spider-Man #546

out of 10
6.8 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Old 01-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I jsut cannot bring myself to buy Spider0man now. Not knowing that all this is a lame attempt to make the comic like ULITMATE spider-man. A comic that was created to bring on new readers to the marvel universe.

...so whats the fucking point in this shit?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 AM
I wish I still read SPIDER-MAN so that I could quit reading in protest.

This is just another of the many, many, MANY attempts that the Marvel editors have tried to get rid of old MJ. They've had a decade-long vendetta against Spidey's main squeeze and have tried everything, from seperations to deaths to clones (one of the most surreal experiences of my life was when I realized that the desire to do away with MJ was the major impetus for the whole Spider-Clone thing ten years ago) to pregnancies to retcons to try and get rid of her. Of course, it never works, and they're forced to keep coming up with newer and more outlandish ways to indulge their hard-on for keeping Pete alone and miserable till the end of his days. I really can't believe that they haven't given up yet, or that they've gone to such ridiculous ends, but I suppose nothing should surprise me at this point.

I thought things could never get worse than the way they resurrected Aunt May; Joe Quesada, you have sunk even lower than my lowest expectations. In a sick way, I'm almost impressed...

Last edited by Ender; 01-10-2008 at 02:11 AM..
Old 01-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
Joe Quesada, you have sunk even lower than my lowest expectations. In a sick way, I'm almost impressed...
And enraged to that and you have my thoughts exactly.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:10 AM
I was watching the latest installment of the G4 Fresh Ink podcast and wow... Ms. Butler read a snippet from the last bit of the latest issue, I think and it said something about Spider-man having revealed his identity but no one remembers! WTF?!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
I was watching the latest installment of the G4 Fresh Ink podcast and wow... Ms. Butler read a snippet from the last bit of the latest issue, I think and it said something about Spider-man having revealed his identity but no one remembers! WTF?!
yeah, all that shit in civil war that happend to Spidey now means nothing.

THE DEVIL erased everyones memory. Go Spidey. Way to be a selfish ass-hole.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Long everlasting effects.... we mean it this time...... no really......
Old 01-17-2008, 09:55 PM
i gave up reading spiderman zonks ago.

but even ultimates 3 is rather blah and thats loeb and joe mad.which sucks as i`ve been waiting for mad to return.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I find it hard to believe Pete would ever make a deal with Mephisto, even if it meant losing May to something he was indirectly involved in again.

The only way they can redeem this story is to have Pete realize he's really in hell or something and gets out of it. I don't know--just throwing around ideas.

I know Marvel has to make big moves to get ppl. talking and generate interest. But compare this storyline to ones past like "The Death Of Jean DeWolfe" and "Kraven's Last Hunt" (which itself was ultimately a cop-out, but still a classic. And it didn't take years to tell that story but two mere months across 3 books). My point is--will anyone be talking about "One More Day/Brand New Day" X number of years from now?